How much we loved the 5/22/11 Victory, and why I'll never sail from San Juan again...

bcs819

Thanks for the great review. For some reason I could not see any of your pictures. :( I want to go on this itenerary. But hate the thought of flying to a cruise port when I live 36 miles from Glaveston. But will have to fly if I want to see the southern islands.

Can you tell me how to get in touch with this person? We are doing this cruise in October and wondered what we were going to do in St. Kitts. This sounds like it would be right up our alley!

Here is his website. When you email him, tell him Bernie and "her crew" are raving about him :)

www dot thenfordgrey dot com

Thanks, for the review...very informative. Just booked for 4/1/12.....did you get reasonable plane fare? I've been looking and it's about $700 pp. Does that sound like the norm?

unfortunately. When we booked the cruise RT air was about $350pp. We had to wait to tell my mom for her birthday and make sure she could take off from work. In that time the Egypt thing happened and air went sky-high, we paid $613pp. Check prices late on Tuesday nights or early-early-early on wednesday mornings, it's always cheaper.

"I did not hear or see a single announcement for Future Cruise Certificates. I wanted to buy one for our next cruise, but didn't see anything and was too lazy to search it out."

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but Victory is one of 4 Carnival ships that dont offer FCC onboard. You can call carnival, give them your booking # and they should take care of it. However I think there is a only a week to do so. We took this cruise at the end of March and LOVED it but agree about San Juan. However we will be going back to do the same trip next April!

Thanks, for the review...very informative. Just booked for 4/1/12.....did you get reasonable plane fare? I've been looking and it's about $700 pp. Does that sound like the norm?

That seems high to me, we are flying out of Dayton, OH and our flights were only $500 and something PP. I booked them in Feb when I did the cruise. just fyi

We payed around $500 out of Columbus for this Oct . and thats the highest we have ever payed . We normally get it for somewhere in the $300 to $400 range and we have sailed in April before , that it is a great time beutiful weather much like fall , not to hot .

"I did not hear or see a single announcement for Future Cruise Certificates. I wanted to buy one for our next cruise, but didn't see anything and was too lazy to search it out."

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but Victory is one of 4 Carnival ships that dont offer FCC onboard. You can call carnival, give them your booking # and they should take care of it. However I think there is a only a week to do so. We took this cruise at the end of March and LOVED it but agree about San Juan. However we will be going back to do the same trip next April!

someone texted me that info last night :) Thanks! So glad I mentioned it in the review, I had no idea!

We took a cab to the airport (don't forget those mandated rates). I knew from these boards that we had to have our luggage scanned and stickered before checking in. What I did not know was that there was no one directing you, and there were so many people standing around trying to figure out what was going on that you were on Mission:Impossible. Sadly, I am slightly ashamed that an agent went by with someone in a wheelchair and we single filed behind him to get through the crowd to the USDA scanners. Then fought our way back down to USAir check in. At this point I am on a slow boil because I cannot stand disorganization. It was then that I decided I would never sail out of San Juan again. We finally check in and then head for security. So.....we're standing in line for security, and as I hand the agent our passports and boarding passes, there are 5 loud bangs close by and people start screaming. One guy jumps to the floor. A lady is crying. At the next agent stand over, the transformer/surge suppressor/outlet thingie blew and there was smoke pouring out of the floor. It's a good thing we all went to the bathroom before we got in line. My sister got picked for the body search thing and then we went to find a spot to sit and wait.

Vacation over. I won't bore you with the change of plane details, but suffice to say, there is no fun in flying anymore.

As always, I know I forgot a ton, so feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer-

When we arrived at the airport they told us since we just got off the ship that there was no need for our luggage to go thru the USDA scanners......we checked right in with no problem......

When we arrived at the airport they told us since we just got off the ship that there was no need for our luggage to go thru the USDA scanners......we checked right in with no problem......

when we checked in they made us turn each piece of luggage to show the sticker. One was missing the sticker, but luckily it was stuck to my hip. I would have been crazy upset if we had to go back.

Sorry that you won't sail out of San Juan again. Because of flight schedule from where we live we have to get in the day before and fly out the day after to get the direct flights. Does make life easier. (Our poor room steward had to ask us to leave the last time because debarkation was so slow. Extra tip for him.)

San Juan port just gives you an opportunity other 7 day cruises don't give you to see Southern Caribbean.

Sorry that you won't sail out of San Juan again. Because of flight schedule from where we live we have to get in the day before and fly out the day after to get the direct flights. Does make life easier. (Our poor room steward had to ask us to leave the last time because debarkation was so slow. Extra tip for him.)

San Juan port just gives you an opportunity other 7 day cruises don't give you to see Southern Caribbean.

Despite the setbacks and disorder we encountered in San Juan, both the GF and I agreed that it truly was an amazing set of ports we got to see.

Some of the stuff we did in San Juan was nice, but the getting in-getting out disaster at the airport along with embark/debark mess just kept sticking out like a sore thumb. Not to mention the seemingly inherent rudeness and attitudes of the people in San Juan makes me not want to give them a single bit of my hard earned vacation dollars.

One of GF's friends lives in St. Croix and wanted to have her Bachelor-ette party in San Juan...Tara quickly informed her that she wouldn't be repeating the San Juan experience for all the gold in Ft. Knox.

Despite the setbacks and disorder we encountered in San Juan, both the GF and I agreed that it truly was an amazing set of ports we got to see.

Some of the stuff we did in San Juan was nice, but the getting in-getting out disaster at the airport along with embark/debark mess just kept sticking out like a sore thumb. Not to mention the seemingly inherent rudeness and attitudes of the people in San Juan makes me not want to give them a single bit of my hard earned vacation dollars.

One of GF's friends lives in St. Croix and wanted to have her Bachelor-ette party in San Juan...Tara quickly informed her that she wouldn't be repeating the San Juan experience for all the gold in Ft. Knox.

That's too bad. We have been to San Juan 4 times in the last 10 years and haven't had issues. (But DH size and demeanor does deter some attitude I think in some instances.:D)

Tuesday, 5/24/11 - Fun Day at Sea

or what I like to call "being burned alive on vacation". Holy cow it was hot. Something like 94 degrees hot.

I had to laugh when I saw this. I grew up in Florida and now live in the Houston area. 95 degrees is typical this time of year for us. :p I guess it's whatever you are used to but I don't think that it's that hot....yet...we will see triple digits soon.

I loved your review. We sailed on the Victory when she was still in Miami. I love all the green everywhere. Thanks for writing your review.

Thanks for the review...sorry to hear that you are not a fan of San Juan..we have cruised twice out of San Juan and don't recall any issues. we did fly in a day early and one time we stayed in a hotel for a night after the cruise so maybe that played a part.

Here's to lots more cruising!!!

I had to laugh when I saw this. I grew up in Florida and now live in the Houston area. 95 degrees is typical this time of year for us. :p I guess it's whatever you are used to but I don't think that it's that hot....yet...we will see triple digits soon.

I loved your review. We sailed on the Victory when she was still in Miami. I love all the green everywhere. Thanks for writing your review.

we usually don't mind the heat, we go to Vegas almost every year in July where it's triple digits at night. This was the weirdest sea day, there just was no breeze. Maybe because the islands were so close together, we didn't pick up enough speed to make it cool on the upper decks near the railing.

We loved the ship, and most of the ports, but we did a similar itinerary on NCL that left from Miami. I wish Carnival would shake things up a little bit, it's getting harder for us to find new ports to visit. John Heald mentioned on Facebook that there were some big moves coming, we'll see what they are :)

Thanks for the great review..my question is does Carnival offer Luggage Express out of San Juan? We have used that everywhere else and love the ease of it. It seems like it would take a big part of the stress out of the airport check in.

Thanks for the great review..my question is does Carnival offer Luggage Express out of San Juan? We have used that everywhere else and love the ease of it. It seems like it would take a big part of the stress out of the airport check in.

They didn't offer it in march. Sorry. I would have loved it too.

Did you visit the Romney Manor or skip that stop? I loved that tour (although I took it through HAL--I've bookmarked thenford's website for future reference, tho). I agree that I could have spent a lot more time at Brimstone Fortress.

yes, we did stop at Romney Manor. It was lovely there and I am glad I didn't bring my money with me, my sister and Mom both came out with bags of stuff! I thought the process to make batik was fascinating, I didn't realize that wax was involved.

:) I think you had the right idea--it would have been easy to spend all my vacation money there. I did end up buying two floral batiks (about the right size for the front side of a throw pillow), but instead had them framed when I got home. I was planning to hang them in the sewing room, but they ended up looking so good, they're in the living room.

Archived