Ready to sail and then OH NO!

Cruisers from WA

What do I do...just a few days from our cruise and we received the "dreaded new" from the head nurse at the nursing home that husband's Dad is dying, so his brothers from ND and Barbados, and hubby are all flying/meeting up on Thursday. (we were sailing this weekend)

He wants me to go on the cruise (this was to be OUR 1st time in a suite)

we don't expect to get anything back for his part of the cruise (including his FFC) because we chose not to buy cruise insurance,....I know....I know!....(this is one of only a few cruises that we haven't bought it)

Will I lose my shareholder credit, if they happen to put it on his folio?

Will I be penalized as a single cruiser? (other than paying for TWO fares already)....when he is not with me, "assume" to the agent he is boarding later when I board without him?

oh I am just babbling....I don't know what to say or what to ask!!!

Should I contact Princess prior to boarding...HELP!!!

What do I do...just a few days from our cruise and we received the "dreaded new" from the head nurse at the nursing home that husband's Dad is dying, so his brothers from ND and Barbados, and hubby are all flying/meeting up on Thursday. (we were sailing this weekend)

we don't expect to get anything back for his part of the cruise (including his FFC) because we chose not to buy cruise insurance,....I know....I know!....(this is one of only a few cruises that we haven't bought it)

Will I be penalized as a single cruiser? (other than paying for TWO fares already)....when he is not with me, "assume" to the agent he is boarding later when I board without him?

Sorry to hear about your situation.......you should either get somebody to sail with you for "free" or cancel him and get your Gov't taxes back. If you are booked through Princess, then of course call them.....if not, that's what your TA is for.

1st suite....usually gets insurance, and now this.....I wouldn't play the lottery

Good luck and enjoy your cruise...where ya heading?

I am not sure what cruise you are on - it may be worth it to check and see if it is over sold. If it is - they may switch you to a different week with out penalty. Probably a small chance but worth checking.

If you do end up sailing - I would be honest and upfront about the situation (with your agent or Princess, etc...). If you can get a friend to sail - it may be a lot of fun.

Sorry for your father-in-laws illness.

Do Not Cancel him, believe it or not the cruise line can keep his fare AND charge you the single person fare. Far better to tell them that he has been delayed and is going to try to join you at a later port. (And if your FIL rallies, maybe he will?)

You may be able to have 'his' credit applied to your account onboard if you explain to them that he will not be joining you after all and plead your case at that time.

Sorry for the bad news. :(

If the shareholder credit is in HIS name, then yes, you will loose it as it will not be transferred to you (even if your name is also on the stocks), sorry. If you submitted it in your hubby's name, that is who it will be assigned to.

Whether you are charged the solo cruise rate all depends on a lot of factors. I do know if you contact Princess and tell them he won't be joining you, and you don't get anyone else to take his place, then I would guess you would be accessed the solo rate for the suite. I know you wish you would have purchased cruise insurance now I am sure, but nothing you can do about it now, sorry to say.

I am not sure what cruise you are on - it may be worth it to check and see if it is over sold. If it is - they may switch you to a different week with out penalty. Probably a small chance but worth checking.

If you do end up sailing - I would be honest and upfront about the situation (with your agent or Princess, etc...). If you can get a friend to sail - it may be a lot of fun.

Sorry for your father-in-laws illness.

I am so sorry for your family's troubles--as you can see in my signature, we faced the exact same situation (FIL was hospitalized two days before the cruise).

The money you've already paid is a "sunk cost." You'll pay the same whether you go on the cruise or not. You have to decide if it's worth it to pay the additional costs you'll incur if you actually take the cruise (including the risk of having to pay the single supplement if you don't find a traveling companion).

And only you can decide if the cruise is the right choice emotionally. I know I would never find a cruise was "a lot of fun" if my husband was home dealing with the death of a parent. I'm sure your husband is sincere in wanting you to take your cruise but money is just money and the ocean will always be there waiting for you to take the next wonderful cruise.

I am so sorry about your situation. I, too, don't think you would have a moment's peace if you went without him whether or not his father actually passed away during the cruise. But financially, that seems like your only option.

You MAY not have to pay the single supplement ....... since DH's fare is already paid in full, Princess has all it's $$.

My cabinmate had to cancel a week before a cruise a few months ago, and I went solo. I did NOT pay a single supplement, because, as I said, Princess already had the full fares for both my friend and me. I specifically asked the Princess rep about having to pay when I called, and she said I owed nothing.

Sorry about your situation, but if you decide to go, I hope you have a nice relaxing cruise.

Sorry for the bad news. :(

If the shareholder credit is in HIS name, then yes, you will loose it as it will not be transferred to you (even if your name is also on the stocks), sorry. If you submitted it in your hubby's name, that is who it will be assigned to.

Whether you are charged the solo cruise rate all depends on a lot of factors. I do know if you contact Princess and tell them he won't be joining you, and you don't get anyone else to take his place, then I would guess you would be accessed the solo rate for the suite. I know you wish you would have purchased cruise insurance now I am sure, but nothing you can do about it now, sorry to say.

I don't understand, the solo rate is more then the rate for 2 people?

I don't understand, the solo rate is more then the rate for 2 people?

I know, doesn't make any sense, but Princess has been known to charge the one left in the stateroom the solo rate, even after the no-show/cancelled passenger has forfeited their total fare.

I would just like to add that there are a few travel insurance companies that will allow you to buy insurance this late and have coverage for an ill family member.

I have never seen a travel insurance policy that covers pre-existing conditions that doesn't have a 'look back' period for a pre-exisiting condition to be covered. Care to share the name of the company (travel insurance company names are legal to post here on CC)?

Most insurance companies will cover for pre existing conditions if purchased within 14 day of deposit.

However you can purchase within 24 hours of travel and it will cover for a death. There are alot of different policys so make sure you read the fine print.

I use Access America.

Most insurance companies will cover for pre existing conditions if purchased within 14 day of deposit.

However you can purchase within 24 hours of travel and it will cover for a death. There are alot of different policys so make sure you read the fine print.

I use Access America.

I honestly think if a diagnosis of Imminent death had already been given, the insurance purchased after the fact would not cover the cruise cancellation. As said though, read all of the fine print and don't just take the insurer's word for it over the phone. And unexpected or undiagnosed death should be covered though.

You MAY not have to pay the single supplement ....... since DH's fare is already paid in full, Princess has all it's $$.

My cabinmate had to cancel a week before a cruise a few months ago, and I went solo. I did NOT pay a single supplement, because, as I said, Princess already had the full fares for both my friend and me. I specifically asked the Princess rep about having to pay when I called, and she said I owed nothing.

In your case, yes, BUT you and your travel mate BOTH had Princess Insurance, right? In which case the fine print points out that her fare was covered by her insurance and Princess did not re-fare you because you had their insurance which would covers the re-fare. The Princess rep mis-spoke when she gave the reason why. It has nothing to do with already having received two fares...if both people cancel Princess keeps both fares. If the room had held three and the third person cancells, the third fare is kept as a penalty, even though Princess still has two fares for the cabin.

There are many cases where the remaining single passenger (without insurance) has been re-fared as a single when the second passenger cancels. Rule of thumb is if the cruiseline pays out any refund (even just taxes), then they re-fare the remaining passenger. They can choose to do this with no-shows as well, but they often do not and the chances are lower than if there is an actual cancellation.

Here is one (long) thread with continued discussion on both situations:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1253277

I agree that the OP will probably not have nearly as much fun as if there had been no health crisis...only she can decide whether it is best for her to go on the cruise or stay home in this situation. Cruisers from WA, my thoughts to you all in making this difficult choice at this time; I just want you to have the full understanding of the financial issues when you do, because that is probably the last thing you want to research right now.

sorry to hear about this bad news and I just want to say one thing...

Your DH is a standup guy for not making you feel guilty and encouraging you not to go on the cruise. Your FIL's situation is an inevitable one and it takes a seriously logical and realistic person to understand this....you and DH seem to fit the bill.

I know, doesn't make any sense, but Princess has been known to charge the one left in the stateroom the solo rate, even after the no-show/cancelled passenger has forfeited their total fare.
So the OP should show up with DH and check in. After check in he can then ding off the ship and go home.(miss the ship)

So the OP should show up with DH and check in. After check in he can then ding off the ship and go home.(miss the ship)

Some have also had luck saying that the DH will be checking in late, and then just happened to 'miss the ship' but will try to catch up at another port. ;)

Archived