New Menu on Imagination

dotshub

I seriously don't see what the big deal is. If you don't like meatloaf and fried chicken, don't order it! If you do, then great, order it! Sometimes when people are away they like to have something that reminds them of home. I know when we vacation, by the end of it I am craving a nice home cooked meal. I don't like meatloaf or fried chicken so I probably won't be ordering either, but if someone wants to, so what?!!

Spinach artichoke dip on the other hand. Yum!!!

I agree! As long as CCL doesn't remove standard menu options, then what's the problem with more choices?

I seriously don't see what the big deal is. If you don't like meatloaf and fried chicken, don't order it! If you do, then great, order it! Sometimes when people are away they like to have something that reminds them of home. I know when we vacation, by the end of it I am craving a nice home cooked meal. I don't like meatloaf or fried chicken so I probably won't be ordering either, but if someone wants to, so what?!!

Spinach artichoke dip on the other hand. Yum!!!

It will only be a big deal if the "comfort" food replaces the adult choices. Part of the reason I cruise is to be able to have those meals I would not otherwise cook at home (granted, I don't cook fried chicken or meatloaf either). If I wanted to eat that stuff, I could stay home and do so, or at the very least, go to a Bob Evans or something. To suggest that this should be the only food available in a MDR is asinine. But again, I think as Carnival continues to market to those to whom Bob Evans IS eating out, we'll see the menu change accordingly. How many posts have you read on this board from people who complained, "I couldn't find one thing to eat in the MDR"? I've seen many. And so it goes.

Why I still read carnival board, because I like to hear what others say in their reviews. I also find people interesting....especially those who want the "fast food" type foods, those who want that meatloaf or fried chicken during their dinner (LOL sorry but I find it funny or maybe sad....). I realize society is too much into this fast food stuff no wonder people have cholesterol problems and more people in these days have more strokes and heart attacks, I BLAME THE FAST FOOD ESTABLISHMENTS! Parents eat this stuff, their kids are taught to eat this stuff, what happens to those kids, they have more medical problems/health issues. Kids should be taught to eat healthy items such as fruit and vegetables, unlike beef a roni stuff, macaroni and cheese, pizza, hot dogs, fried chicken fingers etc. Ok my opinion.....

So now cruise lines want to cut down costs as much as possible and they giving less quality meats for instance years ago you got new york strip, then it went to sirloin (which is fine) then this flat iron steak....now it seems meatloaf....how low quality can they get now, it can't be any worse! Im sorry this does not belong in the MDR on a ship, maybe I could see it on the buffet or for lunch? Now years ago cruise lines did have "fine dining", I am talking back in the 1970's to 1980's....then they started cutting down which is acceptable but it comes to a point where enough if enough and carnival has taken the most drastic cuts out of all the cruise lines regarding its food. I want to continue eating healthier the way I eat at home...I want good variety and selection of foods as food goes into our bodies and our bodies react to what we put inside ourselves.

I also continue to read carnival board because many times I do get a good laugh what people say and its nice also seeing the photo's that many post up. I aggressively read RC, Celebrity, Princess and NCl not just carnival.

so BUCKIRJL its not just food, food is what you are, what your bodies are and its extremely important what we put inside ourselves.

NYTRAVELLER I not see any harm in somebody ordering more than two lobsters, if they can eat all that its great, after all, most people do have more than one appetizer/starter so why not have more than one main course? I see nothing wrong with it as long as its eaten. Im sure people not stuff their faces to a point they get sick just so they can get "their monies worth".

CARNIVALCRUISELADY I agree with you, if I can't eat like I eat at home then why go on that cruise line. I not asking for the best quality in foods but I not asking for the worse either! And it seems to be getting worse, more downhill as I reading these boards, now its fried chicken and meatloaf in the MDR? This is why I chose not to go on Carnival but remain to cruise on other cruise lines.

Dwtlcambre you not get the point, I simply stating that the lobster is not fresh as some think it is, but its frozen. Its very difficult for many people to establish whether they eating frozen or fresh lobster, so there is no embarrasement at all to any persons here. One would also really not know whether their steak was fresh or ever frozen, same thing.

Vanessa L honestly I totally agree with you.

Years ago in the 1970's into early 1980's you did get fine dining, then things declined slowly but carnival is the most drastic cruise line when it comes to cutting back. For the size the ships are now and the large amounts of people you sure can get much better when it comes to food going on RC, Princess and Celebrity to name a few cruise lines. They also cut back but absolutely not as drastic as Carnival has.

I am by no means "high and mighty" I not expect the best but I not want the worse either!

NYTRAVELLER I not see any harm in somebody ordering more than two lobsters, if they can eat all that its great, after all, most people do have more than one appetizer/starter so why not have more than one main course? I see nothing wrong with it as long as its eaten. Im sure people not stuff their faces to a point they get sick just so they can get "their monies worth".

That may be the "norm" on Cruise Critic, but I can tell you that most people order what they're expected to order: One starter, one entree, and one dessert. The majority of people do NOT order more than one dish, outside of CC.

If you need to eat that much, the buffet may be right for you.

I would like to see a copy of their new menu, if they didn't take away "better food options" and only added these other type foods then I understand in a way (it be funny seeing people licking their fingers after picking up their chicken....oops I meant it not be pleasant and I find it appauling in the MDR).

I do believe if they haven't taken off the better selections that they will eventually as carnival is taking the most drastic decrease when it comes to its food/quality/selection.

NYTRAVELLER I have to completely disagree. Dining in large tables like I have with people I never known before I have experienced most do eat more than one appetizer, along with a salad (generally one) and one soup.... in fact I seen many that order 2-3 appetizers or two types of soups and I seen some that order two main courses too.

I not see anything wrong having more than one as long as people not waste the food.

I personally would not even consider the buffet for dinner, I want the dining experience and not want to stand on a line for my food and getting up and down for food.

Why I still read carnival board, because I like to hear what others say in their reviews. I also find people interesting....especially those who want the "fast food" type foods, those who want that meatloaf or fried chicken during their dinner (LOL sorry but I find it funny or maybe sad....). I realize society is too much into this fast food stuff no wonder people have cholesterol problems and more people in these days have more strokes and heart attacks, I BLAME THE FAST FOOD ESTABLISHMENTS! Parents eat this stuff, their kids are taught to eat this stuff, what happens to those kids, they have more medical problems/health issues. Kids should be taught to eat healthy items such as fruit and vegetables, unlike beef a roni stuff, macaroni and cheese, pizza, hot dogs, fried chicken fingers etc. Ok my opinion.....

So now cruise lines want to cut down costs as much as possible and they giving less quality meats for instance years ago you got new york strip, then it went to sirloin (which is fine) then this flat iron steak....now it seems meatloaf....how low quality can they get now, it can't be any worse! Im sorry this does not belong in the MDR on a ship, maybe I could see it on the buffet or for lunch? Now years ago cruise lines did have "fine dining", I am talking back in the 1970's to 1980's....then they started cutting down which is acceptable but it comes to a point where enough if enough and carnival has taken the most drastic cuts out of all the cruise lines regarding its food. I want to continue eating healthier the way I eat at home...I want good variety and selection of foods as food goes into our bodies and our bodies react to what we put inside ourselves.

I also continue to read carnival board because many times I do get a good laugh what people say and its nice also seeing the photo's that many post up. I aggressively read RC, Celebrity, Princess and NCl not just carnival.

so BUCKIRJL its not just food, food is what you are, what your bodies are and its extremely important what we put inside ourselves.

CARNIVALCRUISELADY I agree with you, if I can't eat like I eat at home then why go on that cruise line. I not asking for the best quality in foods but I not asking for the worse either! And it seems to be getting worse, more downhill as I reading these boards, now its fried chicken and meatloaf in the MDR? This is why I chose not to go on Carnival but remain to cruise on other cruise lines.

Dwtlcambre you not get the point, I simply stating that the lobster is not fresh as some think it is, but its frozen. Its very difficult for many people to establish whether they eating frozen or fresh lobster, so there is no embarrasement at all to any persons here. One would also really not know whether their steak was fresh or ever frozen, same thing.

Vanessa L honestly I totally agree with you.

Years ago in the 1970's into early 1980's you did get fine dining, then things declined slowly but carnival is the most drastic cruise line when it comes to cutting back. For the size the ships are now and the large amounts of people you sure can get much better when it comes to food going on RC, Princess and Celebrity to name a few cruise lines. They also cut back but absolutely not as drastic as Carnival has.

I am by no means "high and mighty" I not expect the best but I not want the worse either!

I find it rather amusing that, on one hand, you bemoan folks who eat "bad" foods. Then, in the same breath, you find it perfectly ok for someone to down 14 lobster tails at one sitting. Am I missing something?:rolleyes:

NYTRAVELLER I have to completely disagree. Dining in large tables like I have with people I never known before I have experienced most do eat more than one appetizer, along with a salad (generally one) and one soup.... in fact I seen many that order 2-3 appetizers or two types of soups and I seen some that order two main courses too.

I not see anything wrong having more than one as long as people not waste the food.

I personally would not even consider the buffet for dinner, I want the dining experience and not want to stand on a line for my food and getting up and down for food.

Amen. Amen. AMEN! Just about every cruise I've been on in the last 10 years or so has seen just about everyone at the table getting 2 or 3 appetizers, and 1 or 2 main dishes. I personally can't eat that much, but you can bet your last dollar that I have 2 lobsters on lobster night. Always.

As for the buffet thing--yep. You nailed it. Spot on.

I find it rather amusing that, on one hand, you bemoan folks who eat "bad" foods. Then, in the same breath, you find it perfectly ok for someone to down 14 lobster tails at one sitting. Am I missing something?:rolleyes:

Yay! I have a supporter! That's exactly what I think as well.

Meatloaf and Fried Chicken belong on the Lido Deck in the Buffet selections. It does not belong on the MDR menu. Who goes on a cruise for comfort food. I certainly don't. I'll stick to the Specialty Restaurants.

yup. that's the nudge they're performing. they would love you to spend $30 to get a real meal. we have embarked on that journey.

On Carnival Magic, fried chicken and hamburgers were on the every day menu and they were excellent. There were lots of other choices, too, including more expensive options. I guess to some, the higher the cost, the higher the class.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalMagic/MENUS/index.htm

Great pictures!

Your post proves a point that these new options are exactly that, options!! They are not replacing anything on the menu. It's a great idea IMO. There are people who want to experience dining in the main dining room, but don't exactly care for "fancy" food. I don't think it's fair that some people are saying that those who want to eat fried chicken or meatloaf belong in the buffet; they paid to be on a cruise just like everyone else. I think Carnival is trying to expand their options for picky eaters. I remember when I cruised for the first time at 14, and even though I love food, I didn't really recognize a lot of things on the menu. It would of been nice to have fried chicken, gourmet burgers and meatloaf on the menu. Some people enjoy sticking to what they know. Not everyone is an adventurous eater.

Thanks once again for posting this link. Hopefully some whiners will feel relieved that fried chicken didn't exactly replace any of their fancy meals.

I agree. I've been ordering more than 1 entree for at least 2 years before cruise critic came into existance.

That may be the "norm" on Cruise Critic, but I can tell you that most people order what they're expected to order: One starter, one entree, and one dessert. The majority of people do NOT order more than one dish, outside of CC.

If you need to eat that much, the buffet may be right for you.

That is a load of bull. YOU may expect to order one starter, entree, etc but that is not the norm. The waitstaff encourages passengers to try more than one thing. The tables surrounding my party were also encouraged to order and try whatever they wanted.

Just curious, who are you to judge how much a person eats and judge who may be "right" for the buffet. Sounds like you are the one with the food issues.

BecaBeca I not see anything funny....I think your missing my point....

Nutrition in lobster really has no fat at all, really no carbs, no sugar, high in vitamin b12, selenium, phoshorous along with other vitamins and minerals

average meatloaf contains carbs and fat, I am sure they use filler also which makes it worse as a result, I not see anything wrong with somebody eating lobster (s) its better to eat 14 lobsters (if they really can lol) than eating 14 slices of meatloaf. Now If I sat at the table with the person who ate 14 lobsters then well I know to shut my mouth and say God Bless them and probably would excuse myself after my dessert while they remaining eating their lobsters. :) There is no rule saying they can't eat as many as they wish....

Venessa....your right most do have two or more appetizers...and I not see anything wrong having two lobsters as they are small anyway. :)

In the past three years my eating habits have changed drasticly.

I very rarely eat out. I don't buy pre-prepared frozen meals, canned soups or vegetables (with the exception of tomatos). I make my own broths and bread. I cook my meals from scratch.

I don't cook fried chicken for two reasons. First is I'm not good at it, and second is I don't like all that grease around. But I really like it and would be happy to see it offered. Lobster I can get it at a very reasonable price from time to time. It is super easy to cook up and I'd venture to say my lobster would easily hold its own against any cruise line.

So, for me, good fried chicken would be more of a treat than lobster.

That is a load of bull. YOU may expect to order one starter, entree, etc but that is not the norm. The waitstaff encourages passengers to try more than one thing. The tables surrounding my party were also encouraged to order and try whatever they wanted.

Just curious, who are you to judge how much a person eats and judge who may be "right" for the buffet. Sounds like you are the one with the food issues.

Calm down. I've only been on one Carnival cruise, but I'll report on that:

None of the waitstaff even mentioned ordering more than one meal. And when I looked around the MDR, everyone was eating 1/1/1. Maybe it depends on the ship and passenger type?

On Carnival Magic, fried chicken and hamburgers were on the every day menu and they were excellent. There were lots of other choices, too, including more expensive options. I guess to some, the higher the cost, the higher the class.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalMagic/MENUS/index.htm

As a general rule, the higher the price, the better the meal. If that was not the case, then filet mignon would be $1.69 a pound, like hamburger meat for the meatloaf ;)

H8 I understand and have done that myself. Besides, if they do give you prime rib its two very thin small SLICES of beef not enough meat, but they give you small portions knowing many will order more than one item.

And whats that with the onion rings on the dinner plate? Hey H8 I guess next is the potato chips on the plate!!! LOL

Alexieb so true! Honestly with the prime rib that I had last carnival cruise was two small think slices of what they called prime rib with four small slices of zucchini is enough to eat!! Take a look at the vegetable they give you with that prime rib (from the link that was given to us), ok, you got a regular slice prime rib thinner than any restaurant would serve you and get a load of that one broccoli floret on the plate, thats the entire vegetable!! THATS INSANE!! Certainly not enough to fulfill a babies vegetable daily requirements lol

So of course I understand when people order more than one appetizer/entree.

The menu's remain diversified as far as slection (but I definately see even more of a deline) but they cut back on appetizers now! From what I see generally two to three soups and three choices of appetizers only??? Honestly the best food from those photos in the link that was given to us (thank you very much Jenn) are the desserts, sure cheaper to make, less cost to them, make you happy at the end of the dinner so you forget what you actually really ate for dinner. Its a joke right?

French fries on a dinner plate? Hamburger for dinner? Fried onion ring.... One to three slices of a vegetable? What the heck is carnival doing!

BecaBeca I not see anything funny....I think your missing my point....

Nutrition in lobster really has no fat at all, really no carbs, no sugar, high in vitamin b12, selenium, phoshorous along with other vitamins and minerals

average meatloaf contains carbs and fat, I am sure they use filler also which makes it worse as a result, I not see anything wrong with somebody eating lobster (s) its better to eat 14 lobsters (if they really can lol) than eating 14 slices of meatloaf. Now If I sat at the table with the person who ate 14 lobsters then well I know to shut my mouth and say God Bless them and probably would excuse myself after my dessert while they remaining eating their lobsters. :) There is no rule saying they can't eat as many as they wish....

Venessa....your right most do have two or more appetizers...and I not see anything wrong having two lobsters as they are small anyway. :)

Then why must you berate folks who choose, either in their everyday life or on a whim because they are on vacation, to eat whatever they want, be it your healthy lobster(that most folksd drench in melted butter:rolleyes:) or a plate of fried chicken?

ps - did you see Sarge's link above? You can sleep better tonight knowing that your "healthy" foods still made the list.

Vanessa great point!! Oh don't forget that Carnival buys in mass bulk so they do get great prices on their foods! People not taking that also into consideration between that and them giving cheaper foods heck, Carnival is saving much more than what we know.

Calm down. I've only been on one Carnival cruise, but I'll report on that:

None of the waitstaff even mentioned ordering more than one meal. And when I looked around the MDR, everyone was eating 1/1/1. Maybe it depends on the ship and passenger type?

It certainly varies. I usually have 2/1/2/1. But I'm a big eater.

Becca its called marketing and brainwashing...they add less quality foods and remain to keep the others but as time goes by they will take off the better foods gradually so it will not appear abruptly.

Mark my words this will happen....give it a while and you will find even more less quality, less healthy foods on that dinner menu. Its just part of a large corporation business strategy and its all about HOW TO SAVE MONEY.

Archived