All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

I've been on EOS once & will not go again. I was bored with it near the end of the cruise. My favorite thing to do on ships is to sit & dance at the pool area at night with music etc. They scheduled 3 pool parties & cancelled all 3 when I was on it. Very disappointing. Breakaway will have Spice which will be an adult night club at night. Norwegian Dawn had music & entertainment every night at the pool. I will go on Breakaway in 2014. I will definitely go on Quantum in 2015. You don't have to pick one or the other. Try both! As far as price, Breakaway to Bermuda is only $30.00 more than I paid for Eastern Caribbean on EOS. I am tired of E. Caribbean too. When you leave from NY or NJ, places to go are limited. I don't fly!

Balcony rooms on Explorer are very nice too. We had a deck six balcony. I believe decks seven and up have glass halfway up on the balcony, so you can see through even when you are sitting.

Does anyone know if any of the balcony cabins on Deck 6 have plexiglass?

Does anyone know if any of the balcony cabins on Deck 6 have plexiglass?

The deck 6 balconies on Explorer are all metal, no plexiglass.

And the balconies higher up have some plexi glass but part of the wall is still metal.

So, I just found out that my 3 year old DD has a severe peanut allergy! I am freaking out right now thinking about managing that on a 9 day cruise! Is there anyone out there who can give me some help with this? I am not so worried about the MDR because I think it's easy enough to talk to the maître d and servers but I am extremely concerned about the buffets, café promenade, and any other eateries. It's not like we want to have a formal sit down meal every time we eat! Also, I guess eating in ports may be pretty much out of the question! Please help with any info or a point in the right direction! Thank you from a worried Mama!

You'll be fine. My wife has the same issue. First, call rccl or your ta to have them note your account with the allergy. Then email the special needs dept with your booking info and relevant info.

Ask to have all candy removed from your fridge when you meet your cabin attendant and wipe the counters down with wipes just to be safe.

In the mdr, remind your waiter and he/she will show you the next nights menu to help make choosing earlier.

In the promenade she''ll be ok with pizza. Wouldnt trust anything else there.

In the wj, find and talk to the chef there. Theyll help you as much as posdible to choose the safest options. You can't control cross contamination all the time.

In 5 years of cruising we haven't had a problem ( knock on wood ). Carry her epi pen, use common sense and have fun!

Excellent advice. I have been at dining tables on the EX where the waiter or Maitre D' consulted with someone every night about the next day's dinner menu. Folks have also posted about consulting with the WJ chef about that menu. Be proactive from Day 1. Take the time to search out the right people before you have a starving 3 year old on your hands. Shop in the WJ for food to keep in the room. Even if you eat in the MDR, you may find more interesting room food in the WJ to take out after dinner.

I saw the post about getting access to the helipad on the jewel and it made me wonder:

when leaving Bayonne, where is the best place to be on the ship to watch the departure?

We were outside on deck 12 forward and had a great view passing under the Verrazano Narrows bridge.

Edited by clarea

I saw the post about getting access to the helipad on the jewel and it made me wonder:

when leaving Bayonne, where is the best place to be on the ship to watch the departure?

There is a spot that I like, the deck area that is over top the sky bar on deck 12 looking over the pools. In my opinion that is the best viewing area while going under the bridge.

Most people like to get up as high as possible for when the ship passes under the bridge....

We've done it enough we are content to sit on our GS Balcony, deck 10....

I also like to get down as close to the water as possible....life boat deck....I live in that area and have been fishing those waters since I was a kid with my dad....so I know all the markers, channel, etc, also the regular marine traffic...with binoculars you can sometimes see our house, or at least the neighborhood....

I should probably post this on the Bermuda board but I'll ask this here too. Has anyone ever done scooter rentals in Bermuda and made that your only form of transportation as opposed to bussing or ferrying around? We definitely want to rent scooters for a least one day, but are considering renting the whole time we are there. Any advantages or disadvantages you can think of?? Thanks.

Edited by noshoobie

I should probably post this on the Bermuda board but I'll ask this here too. Has anyone ever done scooter rentals in Bermuda and made that your only form of transportation as opposed to bussing or ferrying around? We definitely want to rent scooters for a least one day, but are considering renting the whole time we are there. Any advantages or disadvantages you can think of?? Thanks.

I have used scooters for travel around Bermuda. But I will preference what I have to say by stating that I also ride motorcycles so a scooter is nothing new to me. They give you a lot of freedom to do what you want when you want to do it. However, keep in mind that Bermuda's roads can be narrow in places and traffic can be quite heavy, especially around Hamilton. You will also be driving on the "wrong" side of the road. This also means going through rotaries "backwards". And there are several of these around Hamilton. And going around curves other traffic, and especially buses, don't always give you a lot of room.

I have read of people getting in accidents in Bermuda and the rest of their vacation being ruined. That being said, only you can decide if it is worth the risk to you.

Just to clear it up for me....is breakfast available in Portofino every morning, provided you have a Gold Card?

Is it just an overfill from the windjammer as a place to sit after you get your food, or is it off the menu as the MDR is...

What about lunch on sea days??

Thanks in advance...

Just to clear it up for me....is breakfast available in Portofino every morning, provided you have a Gold Card?

Is it just an overfill from the windjammer as a place to sit after you get your food, or is it off the menu as the MDR is...

What about lunch on sea days??

Thanks in advance...

You need a gold card to access Portofino for breakfast or lunch. :)

You need a gold card to access Portofino for breakfast or lunch. :)

So it is open for lunch and breakfast?? Is it off a menu like the MDR or is it just an overflow for seating from the windjammer.....

So it is open for lunch and breakfast?? Is it off a menu like the MDR or is it just an overflow for seating from the windjammer.....

I believe it's an overflow - you just take your food in there from the WJ. At least that's the way it was last time I was on the Explorer.

I'm not sure. When we were on the Allure and the Navigator, we could order breakfast from a menu or bring food in from the WJ. At lunch it was only an overflow from the WJ. :) Not sure all ships are like this.

Yes, this ^

Thanks, that's what I thought too....but I just read something somewhere else that got me thinking maybe it had changed to full service....

In which case it does not matter all that much to us if it is still just an overflow for seating because we alway use the MDR.....

Edited by B-52

I'm not sure. When we were on the Allure and the Navigator, we could order breakfast from a menu or bring food in from the WJ. At lunch it was only an overflow from the WJ. :) Not sure all ships are like this.

Nancy, it's possible they held the Diamond Breakfast in there on the ship you were on. On the Explorer, the last time we were on, the "D" breakfast was just held in a side room by the MDR. Every ship might be different and then again, they can change things for each sailing.........LOL

Patty

Thanks, that's what I thought too....but I just read something somewhere else that got me thinking maybe it had changed to full service....

In which case it does not matter all that much to us if it is still just an overflow for seating because we alway use the MDR.....

Was full service Suite (& pinnacle/gold card) on our 4/18/13 Cruise. Only for breakfast and not on departure morning. VERy nice!

Didn't see any Windjammer overflow.

Jane

Was full service Suite (& pinnacle/gold card) on our 4/18/13 Cruise. Only for breakfast and not on departure morning. VERy nice!

Didn't see any Windjammer overflow.

Jane

Maybe they have changed things and are varying what they do from ship to ship.