HOw easy is it to navigate the trains?

bellagirl

Our cruise ends in Rome of next year and we are thinking of taking the train from there to Venice for a few days. In looking at the schedule, it looks like we have to switch at some point--how difficult is it to navigate all of this? Are the signs in English? Is it easier just to fly? Thanks, Shelly:)

Rome from Civitavecchia (by train)

(all mass transit below, excluding cabs, is included in a 5-zone BIRG ticket)

Shuttle busses (Free) will take us from the ship to the port entrance (5 minute ride). From there it is a 10 minute walk to the train station (across the street, turn right, and walk a few blocks to the train station). Once we get dropped at the port entrance (old castle gates), keep the water on your RIGHT and walk four blocks, the station will be on your left.If there are long lines of cruisers already there purchase ticket at the Tabacchi (newstand)or go past the Tabacchiinside the station and buy the BIRG tickets (regional transportation) ticket. This ticket covers the round trip train fare (on regional trains only) as well as all public transit in Rome for the day). We can also buy a BIRG ticket at a coffee shop for €9.50 without having to wait. These tickets would cover the round trip train ride to Rome as well using the Rome metro and bus system all day. The core service is broadly a twice hourly service on commuter style trains taking around 70 minutes to travel the full route (Termini).

DO NOT forget to time stamp your tickets before getting on the train. There are little yellow boxes on the platforms where you time stamp your tickets.

The BIRG ticket is half a Euro more than buying a regular train ticket and a one day Rome metro pass, but it’s worth the extra cents to get it done with one purchase. We probably wouldn't be able to buy the one day Rome metro pass (called a BIG) in Civitavecchia, so you'd need to stop and get that once you are in Rome.

24 hour, 5-zone BIRG (regional train Civitavecchia-Rome, plus all transit in Rome for the day) = €9.50

Morning trains: 7:33, 7:59, 8:41, 8:59

The 8:41 is a faster train; it makes fewer stops (7 vs. 12 for the 8:59)

Traveling from Civitavecchia a typical train will stop at San Pietro (40 mins), Trastevere (50 mins), Ostiense (55 mins) and finally Termini (70 mins). San Pietro is around 10 minutes walk to the Vatican and St Peter's Square. Trastevere is the interchange for a frequent airport train to Fiumicino Airport. Ostiense is an interchange with the Rome Metro which can take you direct to the Coliseum.

We should try very hard to make the 8:41 AM train to Rome(or even better, the earlier 7:59 AM train, if even possible with disembarking at 7:30 AM?). A free shuttle bus will take us from the ship berth to the port entrance. We will have to walk 10 minutes the rest of the way to the train station.

We should reach the Rome Ostiense train station by 9:37 AM (00:56 travel time) on the 8:41 AM train. The 7:59 AM train reaches Ostiense at 8:09 (01:08 travel time).

Taxis: Taxi fares in Rome are regulated. The initial fare is €2.80, and then the taximeter (always make sure that it’s turned on!) adds €0.92 per kilometer. Cabs usually can’t be hailed on the streets like in other cities, but are found at taxi stands, where you are expected to get the first one in line. Roman taxicabs are white, with a “Commune di Roma” sticker on the side door. Be sure to get hold of a registered (official) taxi, which will save you at least 50% of the fare and lots of trouble. The taxi drivers in Rome expect a tip of about 10%, depending on the service.

"Coming and Going from FCO - Rome, Italy

From Arlene Fleming,

Arriving in Rome

Navigating FCO (Rome, Italy) = Chaos. This is a busy airport. For many travelers FCO is the first point of arrival for an Italian adventure or a mediterranean cruise. Given a busy airport, tips on navigating through are always in order!

Breathe deeply...this is an airport that bursts with passengers. So we'll look at arriving and departing from this Italian hub.

If you are arriving from other points in Europe, you are likely to arrive and depart from Terminals A or B. From overseas? Terminal C.

Customs is a fairly rapid process. It seems a quick gaze at your passport and you are done.

On the arrivals level there are several shuttles and taxis (approx 40 euro to the city center). If you are taking the train (Tren Italia), you will need to go to the departures level, continue outside, and look for the pedestrian overpass that will take you to the train station.

You have 2 choices to take you to the city center.

If you are taking a cruise from Civitavecchia you have an inexpensive option with the train. Where taxis charge between 130-140 euro to the port, the train is a fraction of that cost. You simply go to the ticket counter and purchase a 5 euro ticket to Trastevere and purchase a Trastevere to Civitavecchia ticket (3.70 euro )

Departing Rome

When departing FCO if you are checking luggage prepare for a long wait. Show up at least 3 hours prior to an international flight.

No luggage? I suggest going to the airline's 1st class line if it is not too busy. Because I usually travel with carry-on only, I can attest to using this strategy with a few airlines.

The airlines like to put security stickers on passports so make sure you have one before proceeding to your gate.

After making your way to the gates area, a decent capucchino can be purchased at one of Rome's airport cafes to enjoy as an alternative to the coffee served on board as you bid Ciao to Italia."

The trains are not at all difficult to navigate if you know just a few Italian words

binario- platform

uscita- exit

biglietto- ticket

partenze- departure

arrivo- arrival

You can easily read the schedules using these words and get around with no issues. Also, everytime I get on a train I ask a nearby passenger or conductor my destination "roma?" or "venezia?" You can get fancy and learn to ask "Is this the train to ...?" "E questo il treno a...?" I have found Italians very helpful and nice.

The actual port where you end up is not in the city of Rome. It is in Civitavecchia sooo if you take a train to Venice the train will first take you back to Rome and then on to Venice. The change listed if you look on the Italian train site, Trenitalia, will show Roma Termini which is the main station in Rome.

You could always take a private car or the cruise transportation into Rome and THEN take the train too.

It takes about 3 1/2 hrs by fast train.

IF you pick one of the trains listed you can then click on see details at the bottom of the page to find out more info about that particular train.

Trains in Italy are marvelous and easy to use! And training through Europe is MUCH easier than flying from place to place . . . and cheaper. They do sometimes have strikes, and some are wildcat strikes, but the unannounced wildcat strikes seem to be more on local routes. There are good sites on line for European train schedules, even advance ticket purchases. The final station in Venice, nearest the old city, is within walking - or hiking - distance to many of the little hotels.

The big challenge is luggage! What you want is a single small carry-on size rollerboard. The challenge is going to be what to do with all your cruise luggage . . . and even if you are coming back to Rome to fly home, where do you leave it? There is a place at the Rome central station to leave luggage, but it is expensive, and the locals don't trust the security. We stayed a few nights at a B&B in Rome, made advance arrangements with the owner to leave our cruise luggage with her, went off to explore Italy, returned to the B&B for a few nights before catching our flight out of Rome. Thus we were able to travel with just small bags and not all our luggage from the world cruise.

Regards, Richard

To answer the initial query concisely .

Travelling from the Port of Rome (Civitavecchia) by train to Venice (Saint Lucia) is quite easy .

You take one train from Civitavecchia to Rome (Termini) and change trains there to the Super fast through train direct to Venice.

Venice has two (2) stations : Saint Lucia is on the island of Venice proper whereas Maestre is on the Italian mainland. Coming from Rome Saint Lucia is the final stop .

The Italian trains schedules are now available on the Trenitalia website right up the end of 2011:

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=c79686605528a110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD

Just enter in your from and to stations and date of travel and time of departure from Civitavecchia and it will give you the timetable options and where to change etc .

Be careful you will almost certainly need SEAT reservations from Rome to Venice .

Thank you all for your lightning fast responses. It is so much appreciated. One more question: I had planned to hire a company to take us from Citavecchia to the train station. In reading these posts, that would eliminate the need for one train trip and then we would just take the highspeed train to Venice which we would book in advance. Am I right?

Thanks again. I knew I could count on everybody to help:) Shelly

Thank you all for your lightning fast responses. It is so much appreciated. One more question: I had planned to hire a company to take us from Citavecchia to the train station. In reading these posts, that would eliminate the need for one train trip and then we would just take the highspeed train to Venice which we would book in advance. Am I right?

Thanks again. I knew I could count on everybody to help:) Shelly

What train station? Termini? There is also a train station in Citavecchia. IMO, if you are going to take the train, just get on at Citavecchia.

okay. So if we use the train station in Cita., will we have to switch trains in Rome(Termini)? I'm just thinking of luggage, and how we can minimize the number of time we have to schlep our bags on trains. We're only going one way on the train. Shelly

It is really important to have only luggage you can easily manage yourself if you are using the trains!!

Some of us travel light with only a small wheeled carryon + backpack or large purse/tote.

IF you really have a lot of luggage then the train is NOT a good option as you won't have enough time to get it all on/off the train and you won't have enough storage space on the train. There are no baggage cars and no porters.

It is really important to have only luggage you can easily manage yourself if you are using the trains!!

Some of us travel light with only a small wheeled carryon + backpack or large purse/tote.

IF you really have a lot of luggage then the train is NOT a good option as you won't have enough time to get it all on/off the train and you won't have enough storage space on the train. There are no baggage cars and no porters.

Not sure I'd agree as we travel all over Europe by train and usually have a large suitcase and a bag each which we can store without too much problem. Actually we often find there is less space in first class than second for some strange reason, although the seats themselves in 1st are more comfortable and the compartments quieter. We get the shuttle bus from the ship then walk the few hundred years to the station. The worst bit about Civitavecchia is that you usually have to go through the underpass to get to the correct platform. We're not very young, nor are we fit, but we can manage and the trains to Rome are pretty spacious. The platform you arrive at in Roma Termini is quite a long way from the main concourse so just allow yourselved plenty time. On the other hand, if money is no object then I'd pre-book a taxi!!

NOT sure about what you are disagreeing about??

Obviously if you can manage your "large" suitcase and get it onto and off of the train then you are fine.

Most Italian trains have space behind the seats(in 2nd class) for a 22inch rolling suit case and there is also a shelf above the seats but no good if you cannot lift the suitcase up there.

The trains also have some room at the end of the cars for larger bags BUT that space may be filled and you won't be close enough to it most times to watch the luggage at stations. Many cruisers have tons of luggage so I was warning them that they have to be able to manage all of it alone to take a train. You haven't found some magical porters in Italy have you???

Trains are very easy. We travel light so going by train is enjoyable. We have seen some people struggle with suitcases. I think the only thing you need to be concerned about is being able to handle your own bags. If you can do this, then you are set to go.

Keep an eye on your luggage while on the train. Be careful at Termini. Don't let some kindly soul, dressed as a porter, offer to carry your bags on board. There is a good chance that he is going in one end of the carriage and out the other...with your suitcase.

I would not bother with a taxi to Termini. I would commence your rail journey at Civitavechhia.

Archived