My Impressions of Carnival Dream eastern sailing.

gatour

Last Saturday (28 May) we got back from a 7 day Eastern Caribbean on the Carnival Dream out of Port Canaveral.

In recent years, the only Carnival cruises we have taken were the older ships assigned to Jacksonville, so this trip was to see what one of Carnival’s latest offerings would be like. We normally sail Princess and RCCL

We are in our mid-40's, with no children. This was to be a relaxing cruise. We have been to all three ports many times before, so except for checking out a wedding site for a cousin-in-law they were not the purpose of the trip.

1. Check in was quick. We got to the port around 11:15 (would have arrived at 11am, but had to stop at a gas station to wash tons and tons of love bugs off the windshield). The x-rays of the carryon bags was the only real bottleneck. Once we got through that, the process was fast. We were onboard at noon.

2. Entertainment: I really liked the different types of music that was available.

a. If you liked 80’s-90’s rock: It was there.

b. If you liked Broadway style shows it was there. (I actually thought the main male and female leads were among some of the best that we have seen at sea).

c. Piano bar music: It was there (had some enjoyable time there)

d. Latin music: If you look at the deck plans online it is listed as a Jazz club, but in actuality it went between Latin music and hosting Karokee,didn’t really partake as it was very smoky whenever I passed by.

e. Laser show on lido deck: While the idea is nice, due to winds while a ship is underway I can’t see how this would work. Put out a lot of smoke and it just got blown away, so you couldn’t really see the laser show.

3. Food: Overall good

a. Most dishes in the main dining room were comparable to other cruiselines. Although I had the single worse dish, I have ever had on a cruise line on this trip. Ordered asparagus vichyssoise soup, was expecting a potato/cream base soup with asparagus incorporated. Instead got a either a chicken or vegetable broth soup with asparagus. My wife knew something was wrong when I only had a couple of spoonfuls. I am soup fiend, so when I didn’t finish it, she realized I thought it was bad. It was way too bitter. If it had the potato/cream addition it would have mellowed it out

b. Tandoori: On the back lido deck they have a Tandoori buffet. This was good, but you better like the heat.

c. Anytime Dining: This is one of my favorite features of Princess, and was one of the reasons why I wanted to try the Dream to see how Carnival executed it. Overall I would say very well. We always asked for a two top and were seated relatively promptly. The two tops seem to be in one area and are close to each other. The acoustics on the Dream were better in which there was enough background noise to drown out the two top next to you but you were still able to converse with your tablemate. On Princess there was less background noise so your two top became a four top with the table next to yours.

d. Smoked Salmon: Unlike Princess and RCCL, Carnival doesn’t put smoke salmon on the buffet. It wasn’t until the last day that I discovered you could order smoke salmon through the “hang card”. I am not normally a breakfast eater so don’t normally look at the room service hang cards, I wish I did. As on a cruise, I do like my salmon in the morning.

4. Other Impressions:

a. Ocean Plaza/Lanai: Great concept. Great execution. The promenade around the ship becomes more integrated into shipboard life.

b. Thermal spa pass: Get it, if you like to get away from the crowds. You get access to a fresh water pool, along with a thermal ceramic beds and steam rooms.

gatour, I know you did anytime dining, but did you happen to catch the name of the maitre d' for the Scarlett, seated dining. Might be listed in one of your Fun Times. Just curious as we go Western this Saturday.

Thanks,

They do offer salmon/cream chees bagels on the breakfast menu in the MDR, did you try it there? I know its not smoked salmon.. but might have done the trick?

It's also available at the Deli once the Deli opens - my husband had one nearly every day!

We were on board with you!

And for the person who asked, maitre d' in scarlet is Ante (I think?!) and crimson is Drago. Any time time also has a "floor manager" and his name was Lou (that's what he told us to call him!).

firefly333,

Did try to the MDR for breakfast once specifically for the salmon and enjoyed it. In the morning, I need a bit of time to fully wake up and not up to making small talk. Since they co-seat you, I feel like I am being anti-social if I bury my head in some reading material that I am trying to catch up on.

I do realize that most cruise lines do co-seating in the MDR for breakfast and lunch, so my co-seating comment is not limited to just Carnival.

I did see the salmon at the deli, in a sandwich. Can you order it sans sandwich?

Crewsweeper: didn't catch the Maitre'd names

Can you tell me what types of food were offered at the lunch buffet as we not eat hot dogs, burgers, fries, chicken fingers, pizza, fast food type stuff? Thank you...I wondering whether a longer cruise on carnival gives you more and better food options.

Also on this cruise. Tried the MDR for breakfast just once, took too long. Went to the buffet from then on, no lines to speak of. Did not care for the BBQ on deck 5. The lunch buffet will have a different type of food each day. If you did not care for that days offering head to the Pasta Bar or the wok area. Overall on 7 days I did not make it to all the different areas, I tried...

Other thoughts:

Spa: We normally have a massage on-board a cruise, and as usual did the same on this trip. Carnival seems to have a limited ability to prebook massages on the Dream. We normally get the swedish spa, but to do a prebooking on Carnival website you are mostly limited, to stone-therapy massage. I have had one before on another cruise line and was not that impressed, but to avoid having to stand in any lines, I booked online.

The massage was great. I think the combination of the massage and the use of the thermal suite pass released much of my job related back stress. Was it pricey, yes, but I would do it again.

Cabins: My wife is afraid of heights so she doesn't get much out of a balcony cabin, sometimes I am in a mood for one other times I am not. This time an inside cabin was sufficient. We had 4623, which was close to the aft lifts near the stern. I liked the location as it was a short hop on the elevators to get to the lido deck. I liked to hang out at the aft pool so this was super convenient. Next time I would book a forward of the same elevators.

My thoughts on the balcony cabins. Except for the cove cabins, the balconies overlook the lanai. While I can't address any potential noise issues, if you like to go out to your balcony and look directly down at the sea you might want to consider booking a cove balcony. If you like to look out to the horizon, the normal balcony cabins would work.

Overall I would do this cruise again.

P.S. I may post some other random thoughts.

Archived