Elegant Casual / Semi formal?

thecumbrian

I would be happy with no Elegant Casual at all. We, in fact, enjoy the odd week where we can dres up. That is why we book Cunard.

So why book Cunard when you know their standards and then complain about them?

Quite. What was wrong with the code on QE2 - sea day=formal. Port day was at least semiformal. First and last semiformal.

Which meant, on the one seven day TA that she did, five formal nights. And not a complaint or a wimper heard.

Quite. What was wrong with the code on QE2 - sea day=formal. Port day was at least semiformal. First and last semiformal.

Which meant, on the one seven day TA that she did, five formal nights. And not a complaint or a wimper heard.

OK I'm with you now. I'm off later this week on a 7 night Norway cruise and there are only 2 formal nights.

However, I would prefer 5 nights formal and 2 semi-formal.

going to a restaurant is normally dress shirt and trousers, if that.

Not in the restaurants I eat in! Which restaurants do I go to if I want to see men eating in just their underwear? :D

have seen people in tee shirts and jeans on formal nights.

I've never seen people in a Cunard dining room, on a formal evening, in a T shirt and jeans.

What was wrong with the code on QE2 - sea day=formal. Port day was at least semiformal. First and last semiformal.

Going back a few years before that It was formal every night you were at sea or sailed at 6-00pm or earlier. That was enjoyable :)

We discussed going with a all-in-one tour/cruise or a cruise on the QV. I decided to go with Cunard because I wanted a classier atmosphere. I'm looking forward to the formal and semi formal nights and will be bringing a tux along so I can dress up more than I normally do at home. If for 1 or 2 nights I don't feel dressing up, I'll just go to the buffet instead. Hope you all have a great cruise. I'm sure I will.

Russ

We discussed going with a all-in-one tour/cruise or a cruise on the QV. I decided to go with Cunard because I wanted a classier atmosphere. I'm looking forward to the formal and semi formal nights and will be bringing a tux along so I can dress up more than I normally do at home. If for 1 or 2 nights I don't feel dressing up, I'll just go to the buffet instead. Hope you all have a great cruise. I'm sure I will.

Russ

Hi Railer. Just as an alternative to the buffet, check out the room service menu. Not a fancy menu, but it can be pleasant to just have a guiet evening meal in your stateroom- that's what we do when we don't feel like dressing up. BTW, my experience (Britannia category) has been that the food served by room service for dinner is much better than it is for lunch.

Looking forward to your comments about your voyage.

Best wishes,

Salacia

Going back a few years before that It was formal every night you were at sea or sailed at 6-00pm or earlier. That was enjoyable :)

pnhmrk, I can't imagine what that must have been like for the women on the voyage! Formal every night:eek: My accoutrements involved in one formal night fill half a suitcase, but years ago mother used steamer trunks: alas those are days are writ in remembrance of things long past.

So we sail on! Happy future voyages. -Regards, Salacia

pnhmrk, I can't imagine what that must have been like for the women on the voyage! Formal every night:eek: My accoutrements involved in one formal night fill half a suitcase, but years ago mother used steamer trunks: alas those are days are writ in remembrance of things long past.

So we sail on! Happy future voyages. -Regards, Salacia

:) wow I haven't heard the term steamer trunks for years.

Now I'm wondering if I should turn up with my old Navy kit bag :p

I would be happy with no Elegant Casual at all. We, in fact, enjoy the odd week where we can dres up. That is why we book Cunard.

So why book Cunard when you know their standards and then complain about them?

I agree. I would much prefer, Formal and Semi Formal--or Formal and Elegant Casual. The three dress codes can be confusing and planning and packing for the three can be quite cumbersome. Two dress codes would make it much easier to plan for, particularly with the limits when flying.

For gentlemen, the difference between Semi Formal and Elegant Casual seems to be whether a tie is worn or not. But for women there seems very little difference between the Semi Formal and Elegant Casual, at least to me. I suspect many passengers could easily interpret Elegant Casual as simply casual, particularly among those newcomers who have been on other cruise lines. My last Cunard cruise, I thought many of the women wore things that were a little too casual for what I would consider semi-formal and seemed to wear semi-formal for Formal. I believe if a gentleman is wearing a tux, then the woman should do her best to try and match his formalness and not wear what looks to be very much a dress that would be considered street-wear.

"Dress, elegant to wear: suitable to wear for an important occasion, e.g. a tuxedo for men and a full-length dress for women

formal dress required "

Doing a crossing from New York to Southampton on the QM2. I have done a few cruises before but not with Curnard.

The dress codes are given has Formal which I understand.

But ELEGANT CASUAL and SEMI FORMAL are new ones to me?

I will have my tuxs for the formal nights (4), but don't really want to take a suit or jacket for the other evenings (two elegant casual and one semi formal). I normally just wear dark trousers and a dress shirt for anything that is not formal.

Will I be ok with dress shirt and trousers, or will I feel like I have turned up at the table in speedo's ? :D

thecumbrian, Well there you have all the answers you need. Yes you will feel out of place without a casual jacket or blazer. This is CUNARD you have chosen to travel on, and a Transatlantic at that !.... This is not just any cruise line ! ;)

Bell Boy.

PS. you can be forgiven for not understanding the dress code.. but pleeeease, Curnard ! :(

My wife and I are glad to have the opportunity to dress up for the formal nights on our EB TA. These days there don't seem to be so many occasions on which to get my dinner suit (tux) out of the wardrobe. In fact they are so rare that each time I have to buy a new dress shirt as the collars inexplicably shrink whilst on the hanger, so I can't do them up!

We are flying into NY with BA, on a hold baggage allowance of 23 kgs each, and were pleasantly surprised to find that that the cost of an extra hold case of up to 23 kgs is only £32. I suspect that other scheduled airlines may well have a similar deal for pre-booked extra baggage.

Paul S

My wife and I are glad to have the opportunity to dress up for the formal nights on our EB TA. These days there don't seem to be so many occasions on which to get my dinner suit (tux) out of the wardrobe. In fact they are so rare that each time I have to buy a new dress shirt as the collars inexplicably shrink whilst on the hanger, so I can't do them up!

We are flying into NY with BA, on a hold baggage allowance of 23 kgs each, and were pleasantly surprised to find that that the cost of an extra hold case of up to 23 kgs is only £32. I suspect that other scheduled airlines may well have a similar deal for pre-booked extra baggage.

Paul S

Wow £32 sounds really good. That is well worth knowing for the future :)

...steamer trunks: alas those are days are writ in remembrance of things long past.

Not quite! I have seen a couple disembarking QM2, her carrying a little make-up case, him carrying a breifcase, followed by a train of seven, YES SEVEN steamer trunks carried by eight stewards!

We had been on a six day crossing, perhaps they had been on longer.

What amused me was that they were in the self disembarkation line:rolleyes:

Regards, Colin.

Not quite! I have seen a couple disembarking QM2, her carrying a little make-up case, him carrying a breifcase, followed by a train of seven, YES SEVEN steamer trunks carried by eight stewards!

We had been on a six day crossing, perhaps they had been on longer.

What amused me was that they were in the self disembarkation line:rolleyes:

Regards, Colin.

[laughing...self disembarkation, what a hoot!]

Wow Colin! I wonder who they were. Anyway, thanks for your post; not only am I delighted to read that steamer trunks are sill in use, but I can now tell Himself not to complain about the numerous bags I bring because it could be a lot worse:eek: :D Cheers, -Salacia

Archived