The most expensive airline in the US...

Twickenham

This is a gross misreading of this article. Delta, American, United, Continental, US Airways, and Alaska all have higher operating costs per available seat mile compared to Southwest.
The article actually doesn't say anything about this, as far as I can see, other than the assertion in one of the photo captions. But the context of the article strongly suggests that when the caption says that Southwest "is now the most expensive airline in the U.S. on a cost-per-mile basis", the word "cost" is being used in the sense of what it costs the passenger to fly, not what it costs the airline to operate the aircraft.

That very table of financials shows that it is in fact true that passengers pay more per mile to fly on Southwest than any of the other airlines in the table.

The relevant line is "yield", which is defined as "The amount of passenger revenue earned per [Revenue Passenger Mile]":-

1. AirTran 11.24
  2. jetBlue 11.28
  3. Delta 11.31
  4. Continental 11.58
  5. US Airways 11.66
  6. United 11.81
  7. American 12.28
  8. Alaska 13.28
  9. Southwest 13.29

Southwest's position on this list is likely to be due to the fact that it generally flies only short distances. I have previously done an analysis of these airlines' average sector length.

Me, I love Southwest. I've have consistently received better rates to fly on it as opposed to other airlines. I try to use them whenever I can.

Some article with figures doesn't impact me. I'll go with the cheapest, best flight for my itinerary and go on. Most of the time that is Southwest. :)

Me, I love Southwest. I've have consistently received better rates to fly on it as opposed to other airlines. I try to use them whenever I can.

Some article with figures doesn't impact me. I'll go with the cheapest, best flight for my itinerary and go on. Most of the time that is Southwest. :)

So far I have always found better rates on other airlines.

Plus, I want an assigned seat.

So far I have always found better rates on other airlines.

Plus, I want an assigned seat.

I guess it all depends on where you fly to and from, and how you watch those SW prices. For us here in the midwest, they are the only carry which has non-stop flights to both LAX and Florida (as well as other destinations). And even when not taking into consideration the fact that there are no luggage fees, they are still priced less than any other airline we have looked at over the years. If I take into account the fact we don't get charged for two checked bags each, they are a lot less in price than any other airlines.

The no assigned seat thing also doesn't bother us. For $10 pp, you are almost assured of being in the first group to board and we have always had our choice of seats this way. The only thing I don't like about them is their seat configuration of 3 X 3. But, sometimes we get lucky and we are the only two in the three seats (which hasn't happened to us on any other airline in many many years. ;)

Every time we have every flown, I've checked every airline from our state to where we are going and Southwest has been cheaper by FAR. You can't beat the fact that they don't charge for luggage either. You factor in luggage charges on the other airlines, it's always twice if not more than what we pay to fly Southwest. I think I'll stick to them.

I flew Southwest to Austin recently. I liked the fact that there was no change penalty only the increased amount if the fare was higher. Also there was no charge for luggage. And everything went smoothly in contrast to what I'm hearing from some friends about their flights recently.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived