Looking for Sun Baltic Feedback 2011

Got2Cruise

The ship's show that night on our sailing was done by local school children It was delightful It seems that there may have also been a troupe of men fiddling and dancing (the squat down and kick thing. It was quite nice - especially since it was free and we were free to stumble back to our nice bed at any time :)

The children did the Warnenmunde show; the adult men and women did a Russian folk show type thing on the second St. Petersburg day, i.e. singing, dancing (men-Cossack) and ladies (more ballet etc). It was great that it was free. I only got there for the last 5-10 minutes but they were very talented. I also felt for them in their costumes etc. because it was hot.

How were the prices at the Russian Bazaar mentioned? Were they comparable to what you saw in SPB?

If the Russian Bazaar is on the ship, the prices will be double what you'd find in SPB. When we were in Venice last fall, the prices on land were far lower than those found on the ship.

If the Russian Bazaar is on the ship, the prices will be double what you'd find in SPB. When we were in Venice last fall, the prices on land were far lower than those found on the ship.

Agreed. The prices on the ship were horrible. A friend bought a fake Faberge egg for 14 or 15 Euros. The same thing on the ship was $70 USD. Everything was marked up way higher than in St. Petersburg but I thought it was interesting that people were buying things left and right. We proscratinated in buying things and found that our the vendors at the square across from St. Peter and Paul Cathedral had the best prices and we should have bought there.

mombo222 - you mentioned you brought your laptop with you. I also will need to bring mine for our Baltic cruise in August. How was the ship's internet service? Did you use it in port with local wifi? Did you try Skype? Your experiences and suggestions are appreciated! Also, thank you so much for your really great reviews!

Thanks for all the valuable information.:)

Agreed. The prices on the ship were horrible. A friend bought a fake Faberge egg for 14 or 15 Euros. The same thing on the ship was $70 USD. Everything was marked up way higher than in St. Petersburg but I thought it was interesting that people were buying things left and right. We proscratinated in buying things and found that our the vendors at the square across from St. Peter and Paul Cathedral had the best prices and we should have bought there.

One other comment about having a second activity scheduled for Day 1 in St Petersburg - The people on our NCL tour who had scheduled the ballet for that evening did not have enough time to get through Russian Passport control to get back on the ship and rest/change before turning around and meeting their bus for the ballet. This meant that they spent about 1 hour sitting in the Russian Passport Terminal at the port.

We went with TJ travel last week in SPB. We did the active tour and then had the evening canal trip scheduled with vodka tasting. It became obvious during the day that we wouldn't have time to go back to the ship and make it back for the evening tour. TJ just kept us out. We stopped for meat pies to go which we ate on the boat with our vodka. (cost of meat pies was $4 per person~ what a deal!).

Our tour guide, Alex and the bus driver were just great.

Yes it was quite a marathon but we probably will not get back to St Petersburg anytime soon and we saw a lot.

re: internet

the ship's service is painfully slow and expensive. If possible use a wifi on land. My experience has always been that skyp is blocked on ships.

Another good shopping site is the flea market across from Church on Spilled Blood.

It always amazes me how people shop on ships, but as a shopaholic (almost) friend of mine explains it - she doesn't have to wag it around with her on her tour, she doesn't need to carry as much cash and she can put it all on her credit card. I don't shop much at all so it's seldom an issue for me, but boy, some people really need extra storage going home!

We went with TJ travel last week in SPB. We did the active tour and then had the evening canal trip scheduled with vodka tasting. It became obvious during the day that we wouldn't have time to go back to the ship and make it back for the evening tour. TJ just kept us out. We stopped for meat pies to go which we ate on the boat with our vodka. (cost of meat pies was $4 per person~ what a deal!).

Yes it was quite a marathon but we probably will not get back to St Petersburg anytime soon and we saw a lot.

There are so many decisions that one has to make with this itinerary. Thank you everyone for your feedback. I think the consensus I have read is that the "fun" tours are worthwhile even if you had a long day. It is a once in a lifetime experience.

Hi Just got back from the Sun Baltic (Jun 13th Sailing) Loved every minute of it and am ready to go back! feel free to ask any questions... some hints: Tallinn has a Hop on Hop Off bus right at the port. I liked the Okld town part of Stockholm better then the newer part... Helsinki was fun!

Hi Just got back from the Sun Baltic (Jun 13th Sailing) Loved every minute of it and am ready to go back! feel free to ask any questions... some hints: Tallinn has a Hop on Hop Off bus right at the port. I liked the Okld town part of Stockholm better then the newer part... Helsinki was fun!

Did you have any trouble with using credit cards without a PIN number? I know I've asked before, just getting another response. :)

Did you enjoy SPB? We've booked a Relaxed tour with TJ Tours. We plan to do a lot of walking and using the HOHO busses. We signed up for the Stockholme on Your Own through NCL. Did you use that service? Just wondered if it's worth the extra cost.

Thank you!

re: internet

the ship's service is painfully slow and expensive. If possible use a wifi on land. My experience has always been that skyp is blocked on ships.

Another good shopping site is the flea market across from Church on Spilled Blood.

It always amazes me how people shop on ships, but as a shopaholic (almost) friend of mine explains it - she doesn't have to wag it around with her on her tour, she doesn't need to carry as much cash and she can put it all on her credit card. I don't shop much at all so it's seldom an issue for me, but boy, some people really need extra storage going home!

That would be us.. we ended up buying a NCL bag from the store and packed clothes into it and used dw's suitcase for all the souvenirs... I will echo the others on the Russian Bazaar on the ship prices were easily double to triple those on shore... but I did find a few bargains

Did you have any trouble with using credit cards without a PIN number? I know I've asked before, just getting another response. :)

Did you enjoy SPB? We've booked a Relaxed tour with TJ Tours. We plan to do a lot of walking and using the HOHO busses. We signed up for the Stockholme on Your Own through NCL. Did you use that service? Just wondered if it's worth the extra cost.

Thank you!

We just used our Debit card if we needed to...it seemed most places would ask if you had a PIN so my guess is they are set up for both systems... I mostly paid cash (and made sure to have local currency :) )

I loved SPB not surpsing as my family heritage is slavic :) My Favorite (and the consenus of the wife and in-laws) was Tallinn I did the City Highlights and Time on your own for Stockholm... My in laws stayed around in Nynasham and found stuff to do... but I really wanted to get up to Stcokholm... if you want "authentic" Swedish stick around the old town part (Gamala Stan) we did find a very nice restuarant (in an old Glenfiddith warehouse!) prices were reasonable and food was fantastic as was the beer! dw had the Game meatballs (Elk, Venison, Reindeer), and I had the Reindeer filet ...

What were your experiences with the dining? Did you find that you had to wait? Did you try any of the specialty restaurants?

We mostly ate at the buffet out of pure laziness :) did goto Las Ramblas (no cover - Tapas Style) a few nights and had a blast!

There are so many decisions that one has to make with this itinerary. Thank you everyone for your feedback. I think the consensus I have read is that the "fun" tours are worthwhile even if you had a long day. It is a once in a lifetime experience.

We did the Evening Folklore show and it was fun! You will be beat by the end of the day though... when we were in SPB there was a big economic summit going ion so traffic was fubar

Hi Ranee,

Our cabin was incredibly clean and fresh smelling. I brought small cans of disinfectant, Febreeze and deodorizer and didn't end up using anything.

We also did the active tour with SPb and customized it to see even more. With our group of 15, it became an issue on the first day to get those who planned the additional evening outings, where they needed to be at the right time.

We dropped three off at the folk show and then continued back to the ship in order to get another man to the "fun/vodka night" thing.

Something also to note: If you pay with a credit card, after taking the others to their respective places and to the ship, those paying with a credit card had to remain on the bus and go to the SPb offices at another terminal because your credit card has to be imprinted by Viktoria. Not a big deal but just didn't know that was going to be the procedure so it delayed us in getting back to the ship after a VERY LONG day.

Also note that at the end of the second St. Petersburg day, there was a Russian singing/dancing troupe that performed pool side. It was billed as something like a "Russian Military event etc." It began at 5:30 p.m. and went on for about an hour. I feel this was probably the same type show that was offered by SPb in the evening at a cost of $50 USD.

Those that did the show were back on the ship by around 9 p.m. and were exhausted but said it was good. The vodka cruise was also good according to the one man who participated. We also had one lady who came back to the ship to do the NCL excursion to Swan Lake and really enjoyed it. Again, all were tired.

Our family (including a 13-year-old) didn't feel like we missed anything by not doing the evening events. Also, we had another family that was booked to do the fun cruise thing and the morning of decided not to participate. Didn't lose any money.

Soda (Pepsi products only) are $2.25 per can plus 15 percent gratuity. I did bring on Coke as well as Pepsi products from the ports. I would not invest in the soda card as you are not going to be on the ship that much. Think port intensive.

There is also a German show that was at the same pool location on the Warnenmunde stop. German buffet right next to the show also.

actually my wife and mil both had the soda card and it paid for itself for them...

Thank you!

We didn't have any problems with using our credit card and no pin but there was a couple who did several tours with us and said they had numerous problems, specifically in Amsterdam and Copenhagen. We always told the person we were paying that there was no pin number to input and to just swipe. Again, no problems for us.

Our daughter, who is studying in Amsterdam for the summer, has the same credit card that we have (Chase Southwest Visa Rapid Rewards) and she said that she has had some problems in Amsterdam because they wanted a pin. She ended up using her debit card/PIN. When I told her that she needed to tell whomever to just swipe with no PIN, she said one train official told her that her card didn't contain a "world microchip." I have no idea what that is or why she has had problems and we haven't.

We did the NCL excursion to the Vasa Museum and then time on your own. Wouldn't do it again. Said that we could just catch the bus back at any time but people were ready to leave as early as 12:30 p.m. to go back to Nynnasham. The bus was there but the driver told them to come back at 2 p.m.

There was no organization to the lines and it was pretty much a free for all when it came time to get on the bus as everyone was fighting to get a spot. Another showed up but it would have helped if there had been someone organizing from the ship.

Weren't those meat pies delicious? We had them for our "traditional" lunch on the second day of our SPb tour. Loved the fruit ones also.

Those in our group that were continuing on with evening activities knew there wouldn't be time to get back to the ship and change clothes so they just came dressed in the morning with what they were going to wear.

I just read all your wonderful posts and was wondering if anyone knows anyone who took the train from the port Nynashamn into Stockholm successfully.

We are averse to paying NCL prices and have done very well traveling the world on public transport.

We though we would buy the Stockholm card here on-line and have it ready when we disembarked in Nynashamn. We read that you can use in on the commuter train to Stockholm.

Does anyone know if anyone on their ship actually did that? Just looking for verification.

Also, still unsure about wht to do in Helsinki and Tallin. Any suggestions?

I just read all your wonderful posts and was wondering if anyone knows anyone who took the train from the port Nynashamn into Stockholm successfully.

We are averse to paying NCL prices and have done very well traveling the world on public transport.

We though we would buy the Stockholm card here on-line and have it ready when we disembarked in Nynashamn. We read that you can use in on the commuter train to Stockholm.

Does anyone know if anyone on their ship actually did that? Just looking for verification.

Also, still unsure about wht to do in Helsinki and Tallin. Any suggestions?

A family on our trip took the train to Stockholm. They also had purchased the Stockholm card. Didn't have any issues except with the tendering but did get off in time to make the train.

We did SPb in Helsinki and Tallin. The cities are completely doable on your own but our guides were wonderful especially in Tallinn. It was the best 20 Euros spent of the trip.

Magnolia Blossom, MikeWrit, jdvmd, and Got2Cruise -

Thanks so much for your answers to my questions! I'm sorry I did not get back on here earlier to thank you (my mother was visiting - three weeks!) I've cut and copied and now off to print -

Thanks again!

:)

Ranee

Glad you had a good time. Thinking about this ship in may for Baltic. Concerned about the conditions of the cabins and it's bathrooms. What type of cabin did you have? We are looking at a balcony or jr suite. Bathroom in balconies seem very outdated. What's your thoughts

We have sailed the Sun 4 times. 3 balconies and one inside. I didn't think the bathrooms were particularly outdated. But maybe I'm just not picky. They are small but that's pretty well true off al cruise ship bathrooms unless you are in a suite.

If it's size rather than amenities that concern you, you can shower in the spa where the showers are quite large.

Enjoy!

Archived