Sailing 3 or 4 night from So CA

My daughter's Girl Scout troop planned to take a short cruise next summer out of San Pedro area (Long Beach is fine too) but the leader told us today she heard there are no cruises of that length next summer... Have not done my research but though I would start here. Has anyone heard anything saying this?

My daughter's Girl Scout troop planned to take a short cruise next summer out of San Pedro area (Long Beach is fine too) but the leader told us today she heard there are no cruises of that length next summer... Have not done my research but though I would start here. Has anyone heard anything saying this?

I think I just saw the they do have a ship coming to LA so we should be ok...

The Inspiration is currently scheduled for both 3 and 4 day cruise next summer

The Inspiration is the only ship that will be doing the 3 & 4 day out of Long Beach. There are no other cruise lines that do a short itinerary except for Carnival.

This is correct. We are booked on a 4 dayer, but in April.

Pat

I wonder what badge they are working on (do they still do those things?) on the ship?? It is hard for me to picture a girl scout troop taking a cruise. I would think they'd go camping!:confused:

This would be a reward for them using the funds they raised in cookie sales, plant sales etc. This is an incentive for them to sell, sell, sell. They voted on this and if they can raise the funds we as leaders told them it was ok...... I am sure we could find a badge for them to work on though... They will be going into 9th grade at that time.

Just some thing to consider. I'm playing Devil's Advocate and bringing up points that I have encountered.

How old are these girl scouts? (just saw the post, 14-15)

How many are in the troop?

Will the council allow trips to foreign countries? Yes, Mexico is a foreign country. Even if the port is only 75 miles below the border.

What hoops do the leaders have to go thru to do this?

Will Girl Scout insurance cover any medical emergency on this trip? Make sure every girl gets trip insurance. Do not get cruise line insurance.

In Ensenada there is a horeback riding excursion. If they decide to do this will the insurance cover this?

Depending on their age an adult will have to be in the cabin with them or in the cabin next door. The Inspiration has some connecting cabins.

You will need to make sure they all have the proper birth certificates. If they are over a certain age (16?) they will need picture IDs with the birth certificates. School IDs or State IDs work. Passports would be better. They need to be valid 6 months after the last day of the cruise.

If they do not have proper identification they will not be allowed onboard. Might want to have the non-traveling parents wait until the girls are boarded to make sure there are no problems. Been there, done that. Had kids miss the first 3 days of a 2week trip.

Somewhere on CC is a permission form for minor children traveling with unrelated adults.

You need to figure out how they are going to pay for their onboard expenses.

Definetly set ground rules for them onboard. For band trips once the kids were in their rooms painters tape was placed high across the door jams. If the tape was broken sanctions were incurred. Also phone calls were placed to the kids rooms at curfew. If the phone wasn't answered it was bad news.

Another suggestion is to stay on Catalina. It is about $60 round trip for a day trip. $200 with a hotel. Discounts are giving to groups.

Since this is an official Girl Scout event will the adults be allowed to drink alcohol?

My kids weren't in the scouts but other groups and the adults were not allowed to drink alcohol at official events.

Pictures do end up on the internet (Facebook).

Good luck and have fun!

Just some thing to consider. I'm playing Devil's Advocate and bringing up points that I have encountered.

How old are these girl scouts? (just saw the post, 14-15)

How many are in the troop?

Will the council allow trips to foreign countries? Yes, Mexico is a foreign country. Even if the port is only 75 miles below the border.

What hoops do the leaders have to go thru to do this?

Will Girl Scout insurance cover any medical emergency on this trip? Make sure every girl gets trip insurance. Do not get cruise line insurance.

In Ensenada there is a horeback riding excursion. If they decide to do this will the insurance cover this?

Depending on their age an adult will have to be in the cabin with them or in the cabin next door. The Inspiration has some connecting cabins.

You will need to make sure they all have the proper birth certificates. If they are over a certain age (16?) they will need picture IDs with the birth certificates. School IDs or State IDs work. Passports would be better. They need to be valid 6 months after the last day of the cruise.

If they do not have proper identification they will not be allowed onboard. Might want to have the non-traveling parents wait until the girls are boarded to make sure there are no problems. Been there, done that. Had kids miss the first 3 days of a 2week trip.

Somewhere on CC is a permission form for minor children traveling with unrelated adults.

You need to figure out how they are going to pay for their onboard expenses.

Definetly set ground rules for them onboard. For band trips once the kids were in their rooms painters tape was placed high across the door jams. If the tape was broken sanctions were incurred. Also phone calls were placed to the kids rooms at curfew. If the phone wasn't answered it was bad news.

Another suggestion is to stay on Catalina. It is about $60 round trip for a day trip. $200 with a hotel. Discounts are giving to groups.

Since this is an official Girl Scout event will the adults be allowed to drink alcohol?

My kids weren't in the scouts but other groups and the adults were not allowed to drink alcohol at official events.

Pictures do end up on the internet (Facebook).

Good luck and have fun!

All excellent points... We will still have to do more research on this for sure. I know any event that is an official Girl Scout event drinking is NEVER allowed which is find with me...The other option of Catalina is one we had not even thought of but might be a good option.. Thank you for your great ideas and things to ponder...

Archived