Queen Eizabeth - electric in the cabins

violetta58

We are going on the QE in Oct ( first cruise on her- can't wait!!) ) and understand from things I have read that in the staterooms like some hotels you have to leave your card in a slot to get the electrics to work . People have commented it turns the air con off too and so make it very stuffy when you get back to your room??. What I wanted to know is can you leave any card in, say an old Matalan or Costco card to keep everything on which would be good if you are charging anything?. Does anyone know ?:)

We are going on the QE in Oct ( first cruise on her- can't wait!!) ) and understand from things I have read that in the staterooms like some hotels you have to leave your card in a slot to get the electrics to work . People have commented it turns the air con off too and so make it very stuffy when you get back to your room??. What I wanted to know is can you leave any card in, say an old Matalan or Costco card to keep everything on which would be good if you are charging anything?. Does anyone know ?:)

I believe that it may but it does rather defeat the object.

We used an old Holland America cabin key card, and that worked well. We did remove it when we left the cabin each time. It meant that I could keep my card in my little purse i carry around with me on the ship, and DH kept his in his pocket. We just found it to be more convenient that way. We didn't find the cabin to be stuffy when we returned. As I remember there was one (US) outlet that worked with the key card out, and one that didn't. Our cabin may just have been quirky :)!

I had thought, but am not sure, that the air conditioning worked independently. We always have it turned on the coldest and the only time we found it stuffy was when we were in St Petersburg for two days.

Talking of the key cards be careful not to put it near a magnet, such as found on some ladies handbags/purses as it won't work in the door slot any more. It will still work in the slot for electrics and security for getting on/off the ship though.

And talking of cabin doors, if you lock your door on the inside the steward cannot get in. This was tested by us last week. In an emergency there is a yale-type key slot on the outside of the door for security to unlock it.

I believe that it may but it does rather defeat the object.

Doesn't that rather depend on what the object is?

If the object is to have air conditioning that cools a cabin, it would appear to be a sensible practice to over-ride Cunard's attempts at limiting the use of electricity to save themselves money.

WD

Doesn't that rather depend on what the object is?

If the object is to have air conditioning that cools a cabin, it would appear to be a sensible practice to over-ride Cunard's attempts at limiting the use of electricity to save themselves money.

WD

The operation of the air conditioning as far as I know is central and not controlled by the key card. How nice to have your balanced views back.

The operation of the air conditioning as far as I know is central and not controlled by the key card. How nice to have your balanced views back.

The operation of the air conditioning, even to each individual cabin, is controlled from the Engine Room Control Room.

T

Thank you.

Why didn't you share that gem about the air conditioning not being controlled by the wall thingamy in your first post in this thread?

WD

Thank you.

Why didn't you share that gem about the air conditioning not being controlled by the wall thingamy in your first post in this thread?

WD

I thought that it was fairly obvious and that to mention it would be superfluous. Apparently not.

Patently not the case if you read the OP's post.

WD

As you seem to wish to be pedantic, the OP actually said " What I wanted to know is can you leave any card in, say an old Matalan or Costco card to keep everything on which would be good if you are charging anything?. Does anyone know ?"

I believe that I answered that question.

That's what the OP posted. I see you are in the business of selective posting - do you work for the Daily Mail?

WD

That's what the OP posted. I see you are in the business of selective posting - do you work for the Daily Mail?

WD

When the OP said "What I wanted to know etc" I took that to be the pertinent part of an anecdotal statement which was why I answered what theOP wanted to know rather than comment on what some people have said. This discussion is really becoming very tedious as you seem intent on criticising. Perhaps you thrive on tedium or have too much time on your hands.

I am on the QE at present and I have yet to return to a stuffy cabin so I am sure the aircon does not turn off. The removal of the card only turns off the electrics and does make any recharging, mobile phones, cameras etc a bit of a nuisance so best left to charge those things overnight. And yes, any card will operate the electric system, but as others have said, defeats the object a little.

I am on the QE at present and I have yet to return to a stuffy cabin so I am sure the aircon does not turn off. The removal of the card only turns off the electrics and does make any recharging, mobile phones, cameras etc a bit of a nuisance so best left to charge those things overnight. And yes, any card will operate the electric system, but as others have said, defeats the object a little.

Thank you.

I'd have said that the system installed defeats the object of supplying electricity so I suppose we'll never all see eye to eye on this one.

I'm not quite sure why I, as a passenger, should be inconvenienced by the line, but there you are.

WD

I've stayed in hotels that use this keycard in a slot system. It's being "green".

Our recent room steward on the QE always left the bathroom light switched on morning and evening. This would have meant the fan would have been left on as well as the light for hours on end. Just a waste.

Thank you.

I'd have said that the system installed defeats the object of supplying electricity so I suppose we'll never all see eye to eye on this one.

I'm not quite sure why I, as a passenger, should be inconvenienced by the line, but there you are.

WD

Inconvenience ? it's all about Cunard & guests doing their 'little bit' to be green.. Heaven knows what you think about replacing towels back on the rail for futher use and taking care with water.

Bell Boy.

Inconvenience ? it's all about Cunard & guests doing their 'little bit' to be green.. Heaven knows what you think about replacing towels back on the rail for futher use and taking care with water.

Bell Boy.

I always have fresh towels daily. And I use as much water as I need.

Don't be fooled by the Green thing. It's a way of saving money.

WD

Archived