How to gain access to the free Gold status internet

welshgirl001

How do you access the free 2 hr internet usage allowed for gold club members. Do you have to pay then get a refund or is it already on for you.

Also is it per gold member passenger or just one 2 hr per cabin.

I see the club perks are not valid on a 5 day or less so i am thinking that the 5 night July 1st cruise exceeds this so would qualify.

:confused:

Julie

... I see the club perks are not valid on a 5 day or less so i am thinking that the 5 night July 1st cruise exceeds this so would qualify. ...

I believe your July 1-6 QM2 voyage would qualify as "five days or less". However the wording of the CWC benefits states "Certain Cunard World Club benefits are not provided on voyages of five days or less." Unfortunately, they don't make it clear which benefits are not provided on voyages of five days or less.

Unless things have changed recently, the two free hours of Internet usage for CWC gold level should apply to your five-day voyage. I received two free hours of Internet usage during a four-day voyage on the QV in 2009.

On a short voyage there is just no time for some of the World Club events, e.g. World Club Cocktails (gold), Wine Tasting, or Senior Officer's party (platinum). One poster lamented that none of this came her way - on a two nighter!

On a short voyage there is just no time for some of the World Club events, e.g. World Club Cocktails (gold), Wine Tasting, or Senior Officer's party (platinum). One poster lamented that none of this came her way - on a two nighter!

mariepr,

On a two-night cruise I would probably not even bother to check my email, I would certainly not spend two full two hours on the Internet! :)

Question along the same lines...

When you log on to the internet, be it that you are paying for it, or it being removed from your bill at the end... Do you get a pop up window or counter to tell you how long you have left of your purchased time? Or is it up to you to keep track of it?

I may be tempted to keep an eye out for another cheap two night or three night trip at some point in the near future which would result in Gold...

A window shows your remaining time. If you use a tabbed browser, don't open multiple tabs or windows! That will cause multiple clocks to run down your time. (At least that was the case on the QM2 last December.)

I am not sure that this would be correct. They track your time by IP address not windows. It would take a very sophisicated software program to track it by open tabs or windows!

Julie

I am not sure that this would be correct. They track your time by IP address not windows. It would take a very sophisicated software program to track it by open tabs or windows!

Julie

-----------

I am pretty sure you are correct, Julie.

It seems to me to be based on IP address/user logon. Thre may be a way to confuse the system, but I haven't found it yet, and I do run multiple windows at times when logged on. But this problem may occur due to newer operating systems (??).

Partly in response to another poster's question --

I haven't seen a running clock, but you are shown an accounting for your account when you log in, and again when you log out. You do have to make sure to log out properly, but they provide very good written directions on the instruction sheet.

They sometimes offer a few extra minutes if you sign up on day one for a package, possible others later. Whether you have any "free" time coming, or are paying for the full amount, your account will be billed for the program/package you select (unless you go minute by minute without a plan, which will be pretty pricey in comparison, but fine if you hardly use it at all, I guess).

Any adjustments due to CWC membership benefits/credits will be applied to your statement at the end of the voyage.

Jane :)

My 5 yo son is a Gold Member, anyone know if he will get the credit as well? I would purchase the 2 hours in his name. This is obviously for my use :)

--

whyohwhyoh

--------------------------------

On the World Club page of the brochures, the small print at the bottom of the page states that "Guests under the age of 18 are not eligible to participate". :( I don't know if there is any flexibility in that, but it sounds fairly definite. You may want to contact the World Club office if you have questions, or wish to better understand any nuances of the program.

If your son keeps up this rate of travelling, just think of what level, and what benefits he may be eligible for by the time he turns 18! :D

My 5 yo son is a Gold Member, anyone know if he will get the credit as well? I would purchase the 2 hours in his name. This is obviously for my use :)

--

whyohwhyoh

How cool is that! I was not an any colour of anything at age 5... ! :D

Julie

I am pretty sure the internet time is tracked by your account login and probably not the IP address (each computer you use has a different IP address). You have to log on and log off each session with a user name and password. It is fairly easy for the system to track the time in between. This is why it is so important that you log off properly. The open tabs or windows issue would give you another window with a clock which may confuse the user but not the system.

Denise- Yes I play an IT Tech on TV:D

Edited to add: Make sure they do in fact refund your package on your final bill. I had a instance whwew they did not . Luckily I caught the "Internet Help person" in the morning before I left the ship and he called the purser (I presume) to get it fixed.

--

whyohwhyoh

Whilst your son may have undertaken the requisite number of vayages to qualify, the sad truth is that his status will not be recognized nor will he receive any of the benefits until his 18th birthday. So you would be unwise to rely on the two hours from him.

Make sure they do in fact refund your package on your final bill. I had a instance whwew they did not . Luckily I caught the "Internet Help person" in the morning before I left the ship and he called the purser (I presume) to get it fixed.

Yes do check your statement. Last year our trip was made up of 3 separate trips so my husband and I qualified for 3 x 2 hrs each. All was well for the first two weeks but our final bill was wrong. We had been charged twice for one of the 2 hrs instead of a debit and credit. It was easily rectified but as it was departure morning it could have been quite incovenient.

I believe your July 1-6 QM2 voyage would qualify as "five days or less". However the wording of the CWC benefits states "Certain Cunard World Club benefits are not provided on voyages of five days or less." Unfortunately, they don't make it clear which benefits are not provided on voyages of five days or less.

Unless things have changed recently, the two free hours of Internet usage for CWC gold level should apply to your five-day voyage. I received two free hours of Internet usage during a four-day voyage on the QV in 2009.

Without being pedantic, isn't a 5 night cruise 6 days?

------------------------------------

Touches on 6 days, but it is just 5 really. Can't board til after noon on day one (so lunch time), off well before noon on day 6 (after an early breakfast). Four full days and about those two less than 1/2 days make up almost 1, if you board as early as possible and leave as late as possible. Wish it were more! :):)

When Cunard lists the duration of a voyage, "nights" and "days" appear to be used interchangeably.

I have noticed Cunard's UK brochures list voyage durations according to the number of "nights". On the other hand, the US brochures I have all list voyage durations according to the number of "days". In each case the durations are identical whether listed as "nights" in the UK or "days" in the US.

Cunard's US web site goes one step further and lists all voyages as "x Days/Nights".

For example, consider Voyage M114 - Eastbound Transatlantic Crossing which departs New York on July 6 and arrives Southampton on July 13. This voyage is listed as "7 nights" in the UK brochure. In the US brochure, it is listed as "7 days". On the US web site, it is listed as "7 Days/Nights".

And to confirm the voyage in question, the US brochure lists the upcoming "4th of July Getaway", July 1-6, as "5 days" even though the itinerary shows QM2 departing New York on "Day 1" and returning to New York on "Day 6".

Regards,

John.

I am pretty sure the internet time is tracked by your account login and probably not the IP address (each computer you use has a different IP address). You have to log on and log off each session with a user name and password. It is fairly easy for the system to track the time in between. This is why it is so important that you log off properly. The open tabs or windows issue would give you another window with a clock which may confuse the user but not the system.

Denise- Yes I play an IT Tech on TV:D

Edited to add: Make sure they do in fact refund your package on your final bill. I had a instance whwew they did not . Luckily I caught the "Internet Help person" in the morning before I left the ship and he called the purser (I presume) to get it fixed.

Thanks for the tip reminder to check the on board account for the refund of charges:)

When i said it was tracked by IP address i didnt want to get all techi, but the log in id associates the IP address to your account which may or may not be the same regardless of which computer you use.

Julie

When Cunard lists the duration of a voyage, "nights" and "days" appear to be used interchangeably.

I have noticed Cunard's UK brochures list voyage durations according to the number of "nights". On the other hand, the US brochures I have all list voyage durations according to the number of "days". In each case the durations are identical whether listed as "nights" in the UK or "days" in the US.

Cunard's US web site goes one step further and lists all voyages as "x Days/Nights".

For example, consider Voyage M114 - Eastbound Transatlantic Crossing which departs New York on July 6 and arrives Southampton on July 13. This voyage is listed as "7 nights" in the UK brochure. In the US brochure, it is listed as "7 days". On the US web site, it is listed as "7 Days/Nights".

And to confirm the voyage in question, the US brochure lists the upcoming "4th of July Getaway", July 1-6, as "5 days" even though the itinerary shows QM2 departing New York on "Day 1" and returning to New York on "Day 6".

Regards,

John.

Oh Blue Marble, do you have any aspirin left?:eek:

Monday embark = half a day + 1 night

Tuesday = 1 day + 1 night

Wednesday = 1 day + 1 night

Thursday = 1 day + 1 night

Friday = 1 day + 1 night

Saturday - disembark around 9.00am

Total: 4½ days and 5 nights. So you're 3-6 hours short of 5 days.

Thanks for the tip reminder to check the on board account for the refund of charges:)

When i said it was tracked by IP address i didnt want to get all techi, but the log in id associates the IP address to your account which may or may not be the same regardless of which computer you use.

Julie

--------------

Exactly, Julie. So a person could even use several different devices, using the same account (user login) for the QM2 access (for example, your own PC, an iPad and QM2's computers). Of course, hope we all have better things to do on board than spend TOO MUCH time online/on the internet, but it is good to know it is possible.

Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday!

Jane:)

Archived