Tipping Questions - want to get it right...

Daisy21015

We will be going on our first cruise on 7/31 - RCI / Allure. I really want to make sure we tip correctly. I am not trying to not tip anyone or skip the system - I just want to make sure I have it correct and am tipping everyone that should be tipped - thank you!

We have MTD and have prepaid our tips. It is my understanding that these tips include the cabin attendant, the head waiter and other wait staff in the MDR and on the last night we will receive vouchers to give to these peoples stating what the tip will be - correct? Can we add cash to these envelopes if we wish to tip more?

If we eat in the Windjammer, Park Cafe or other free dining outside the MDR - do we tip there?? If so, is it a percentage like a regular restaurant?

Do we tip in the specialty restaurants or is that included in the dining charge?

Do we tip for room service - how much? per trip or for the week?

Do you tip the bartenders for drinks - if so how much? (we don't go out to bars but I am sure we will order some on board)

Am I missing anyone else that we would want/need to tip during the week (in the ports, anywhere else on the ship?)

Thank you so much for your help!

You should tip the porters who take your luggage when you arrive at the terminal. Most give $1 to $2 per bag. You do not tip in the buffet. When you order anything from a bar or lounge, there is a 15% gratuity added to the bill. If you get room service, a couple of dollars is what most give. The amount you're charged in the specialty restaurants is basically the tip.

Sorry - I never know whether to use the RCI board or the first time board. I just figured it was a general first time question - I will look over there.

Thanks!

That was suggested because many of us may be regulars on other cruiselines (I've been on Princess exclusively for the past nine years so I wouldn't want to give you the wrong info about RCL).

Sometimes people will tip a shore excursion guide after a tour.

You should tip the porters who take your luggage when you arrive at the terminal. Most give $1 to $2 per bag. You do not tip in the buffet. When you order anything from a bar or lounge, there is a 15% gratuity added to the bill. If you get room service, a couple of dollars is what most give. The amount you're charged in the specialty restaurants is basically the tip.

Actually I read a recent post from someone who used to work as a server in a specialty restaurant, and that service charge isn't the tip. Half goes straight to the restaurant to defer the cost of higher quality food. The remainder is split between everyone from the maitre de to the chef to the bus boy, and the server amount is pooled among all of the servers. The get about $.40 from each diner that evening. So let's say that restaurant seats 80 people that night, your server will make $32 for the evening in tips. We always leave an additional gratuity for our server when dining in the specialty restaurants, generally $10-15 per person. That works about to what they'd make in a similar land based restaurant.

We tip room service $2 if they bring coffee or a cheese plate or something along those lines. But for full meals, including breakfasts, we tip $5 and up depending on how many items there are. When we ordered full breakfasts on DCL that required two servers to deliver the trays (our son was 16 at the time--one tray was just for him LOL!), we gave them $5 each.

I'd also add that there's nothing wrong with adding an additional gratuity to a bar tab if the bartender is particularly helpful of attentive.

If you've pre-paid your tips, then you'll almost done.....sure, you can add extra, but it's not necessary.

Any drink you buy (alcohol or non!) will have 15% added to the cost for the tip.

So...you're done.

If you use room service, a couple of bucks is standard.

Luggage porters...$1-2 per bag

Taxis in port...about 15% of the charge

Excursions....totally up to you and what value you feel your recieved....

If you have pre-paid, be sure to bring your paid receipt with you.

I have heard that sometimes passengers are charged again on their on-board accounts for the gratuities and needed their receipt to have the charges removed.

Any extra cash tip for those who give you great service is always appreciated.

Archived