Wine Package Question

Snowball

If you purchase one of the wine packages offered onboard, are you charged a corkage fee if you choose to drink it in the dining room and/or have them store it there from one night's dinner until the next night?

What does a wine package include and how do I get it? We are cruising next month and are big wine drinkers.

Here's a picture of the 5 bottle menu~ from May 2011 per Zydecocruiser

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalMagic/May_01_2011/04SeaDay2/may4/DSC_4420.JPG

and the 3 bottle menu~from Feb 2010 per Zydecocruiser

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalSensation/pc/sin2/P1110700.JPG

Not sure how you get them~ maybe at any bar or at dinner the first night~

Many of the wines have screw-tops. :p

We purchase the packages from our head waiter thinking that maybe they get the 15% service charge. Never a question with corkage or storage.

The tickets you can exchange in the MDR or at bars.

Thanks.

What tickets are you referring to? Do they give you one ticket for each bottle of wine you get with the package?

When you order the package they give you a ticket for each bottle (they're perforated tear apart). The ticket lists which package you got so they know which bottles they are good for. When you order a bottle, you give them the ticket!

I did a wine package on another cruise line and they had the bottles in my cabin when I checked in. If I wanted a bottle with dinner then I just brought it along with me and that was it. Is this not possible on Carnival?

When you order the package they give you a ticket for each bottle (they're perforated tear apart). The ticket lists which package you got so they know which bottles they are good for. When you order a bottle, you give them the ticket!

Sounds good. Thanks for explaining how the process works. I appreciate it. :)

We have bought wine packages onboard RCL and Princess but they were for dinners. Never delivered to our room. If we had left overs they saved it for next night. Is this the same thing? Are there separate wine packages for room and dining room?

On Carnival there is just one type of wine package and will be either 3 or 5 bottles depending on the length of the cruise. You end up with either 3 or 5 tickets. You exchange a ticket for a bottle of wine anywhere you like and can consume it there, walking around the ship, in your cabin, wherever. If you have leftover tickets at the end of the cruise, exchange for wine and take the bottles home with you.

On Carnival there is just one type of wine package and will be either 3 or 5 bottles depending on the length of the cruise. You end up with either 3 or 5 tickets. You exchange a ticket for a bottle of wine anywhere you like and can consume it there, walking around the ship, in your cabin, wherever. If you have leftover tickets at the end of the cruise, exchange for wine and take the bottles home with you.

....not sure what you mean by "one type of wine package" As was noted above, there are three wine packages based on quality: Regular, Deluxe and Premium. We had the Deluxe on our last cruise (Dream in APril 2011) and it was decent-to-good wines and good value for the money.

....not sure what you mean by "one type of wine package" As was noted above, there are three wine packages based on quality: Regular, Deluxe and Premium. We had the Deluxe on our last cruise (Dream in APril 2011) and it was decent-to-good wines and good value for the money.

Yes. One type as in it is the same choice for cabin and/or dining room and you can mix between the two as to where you drink.

What does a wine package include and how do I get it? We are cruising next month and are big wine drinkers.

There is usually a table set up near the lobby when you come on board the ship, as well as up on the Lido deck the first day of the cruise. The cost varies depending on the package you buy. If I remember correctly there were three "grades" to choose from. We always get the middle of the road and have always been happy with our chose. They give you a card with stickers (I think) and you just order your chose either in the MDR, at the bars, or in the steakhouse, and they either punch the card or pull the sticker. It is about 15-20% less than ordering it by the bottle. There is no corkage fee and if you do not drink all the bottles (not a problem here) just go to the bar and order but ask them not to open and you can take them home with you.

Thanks for that- I am a wine drinker (and student of wine), I go on my first cruise in a couple of weeks (Carnival Fantasy, Nassau, Freeport and Key West) and will certainly be taking advantage of that.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder which is offered for a 6-day cruise.

I have two coupons left over from my May 2010 Fantasy 7-day cruise. That was my first solo cruise, and I ended up not drinking quite as much as I was expecting! :p

It didn't occur to me to redeem the other two coupons and bring the bottles home. Looks like the Deluxe package hasn't changed, so I'm hoping I can just redeem them when I board in Norfolk for my Bermuda cruise.

I tend to get the Folinari Pinot Grigio and Black Opal Shiraz. I usually get a bottle of each the first night in the dining room so I'll have a red and white already available. I also normally fill my glass just before leaving the dining room to have a drink later. That way, I don't have to go back to my cabin. If I had a particular lounge that I liked to visit every evening, I'd just redeem one there and leave it, but I tend to roam the ship after dinner.

Will report back after the cruise and let everyone know if there are any problems redeeming "old" coupons.

Archived