Sorrento on your own from naples

Tiggertastic

We took a trip this month where we docked in Naples and chose to go to Sorrento on our own using public transport.

The walk to the station was longer than expected - 50 minutes and often in uneven surfaces. The taxi from the station back to the port was 12 euro and well worth it in the heat.

When arriving at the station, go down the escalator, turn right and down the next set of escalators. Buy a return ticket at one of the 3 windows. It is 4 euro each way per person - a bargain.

The train takes 1 hour and stops at 31 stations on the way - take water with you.

On arrival at sorrento - the end of the line so you can't miss it - walk down the steps of the station - straight forward across the road and turn right at the next one - this is the main street.

Half way down you will come to a square with outside bars and railings to look over down to the sea.

It is extremely pretty with lots of little shops and great places to eat and grab a drink.

the timetable for the trains is available here:http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en and you are going from naples garibaldi to sorrento. The train also stops at pompei station and its a 3 minute walk into the ruins.

Great view of versuvius from the train too

We got 4 hours in sorrento and it was a great trip to take.

We took a trip this month where we docked in Naples and chose to go to Sorrento on our own using public transport.

The walk to the station was longer than expected - 50 minutes and often in uneven surfaces.

...you are going from naples garibaldi to sorrento. The train also stops at pompei station and its a 3 minute walk into the ruins.

Part of the reason the walk took longer than expected was that you went to the second station, Garibaldi, rather than the first station, Porta Nolana, which is a little closer to the cruise port.

Thank you for relating your experience...

Personally, if I never take the Circumvesuviana again it will be too soon. IMHO, hydrofoil is the way to go.

Lew

Thank you for relating your experience...

Personally, if I never take the Circumvesuviana again it will be too soon. IMHO, hydrofoil is the way to go.

Lew

Hi Lew,

When you say you took the hydrofoil, was that from Naples to Sorrento?

This is slightly off topic, but I thought I'd post it here since it might help someone avoid some confusion. In May, I wanted to ride the Circumvesuviana from Porta Nolana to Herculaneum. I have been on the train on a previous cruise so I somewhat knew what was going on. I got on the train toward Sorrento and sat near some young travelers who were winging it to Pompeii. They had no idea where to go really other than they needed to be on this train. I overheard them trying to read some instructions with uncertainty, so I spoke up to help them since I had done this before. I was helping the young man look at the stop list posted on the train above the doors and explained where were started and where they needed to get off. I would not be there to see them all the way, since I was getting off prior to them. They counted the number of stops as being something like 15 or so (I forget the exact number). We went back to our different seats and quite a few people got on the train, separating us from further conversation. I hadn't really been paying attention, but the train was actually an EXPRESS train and it wasn't making every stop listed above the doors. In fact just about the time I noticed this, we were already to Herculaneum and I had to jump up and get off the train quite quickly without letting the younger travelers know what was going on. I hope they were able to figure this out and/or noticed when the train stopped at Pompeii Scavi to get off the train. I suspect the Express train stopped at Pompeii, but I don't know what the stops were. I don't really see this on the Circumvesuviana website, but maybe I just haven't clicked the right link yet.

Anyway... the advice for first time Circumvesuvianans is to print out a list of the train line stops and have it with you on the train, so you can follow the stops as they are made. That way you'll know where you are with respect to where you want to be. At each stop, or as you zip past stops while in express mode, they are all signed so you can read them from the train. Not all trains will have working speakers announcing stops or working signs that list the current stop.

Maybe this will help with Circumvesuviana information.

On this page (http://www.circumvesuviana.com/web/en/InfoStazione), which is the schedule by station, first specify the Naples Porta Nolana station, then you can click on "timetable" (either winter or summer) to see the full list of trains from Porta Nolana. This list details whether each train is an express or a local.

Also on this page, under the "Railway Station" heading, you can click on "stop list" for the Sorrento line to see the full list, or "railway info" to see a graphic representation of the line and the stops.

When you say you took the hydrofoil, was that from Naples to Sorrento

Although I have taken the hydrofoil between Sorrento and Capri and Naples and Capri, I have not taken it between Naples and Sorrento.

The dock for the hydrofoils is very close to the cruise terminals. The hydrofoils are modern and comfortable and the ride quite scenic.

Lew

Part of the reason the walk took longer than expected was that you went to the second station, Garibaldi, rather than the first station, Porta Nolana, which is a little closer to the cruise port.

The other plus of Porta Nolana is that there are only Circumvesuviana trains there so it is much more straightforward to figure out where to go once inside the station.

Also, you can avoid the walk to Porta Nolana by taking the #1 tram, which stops right outside the cruise terminal. If you buy a day pass at the newstand across the street from the terminal, the ticket also works for the tram.

Can someone who has been to Naples recently confirm that the #1 tram/bus is back in service, replacing the #601 bus?

In February there was still no #1, only the #601 while the road work was ongoing.

The ANM web site is showing the #1 again, but the #601 is not on the list.

We took the hydrofoil ferry to Sorrento and the train back stopping off at Pompeii. Hydrofoil ferry dock was right beside cruise dock.

Do you remember how much and how long it took you? We want to spend the day in Positano, I realize you can't get there via train from Naples, but rather have to get off at Sorrento and take a bus or taxi. From what I can tell, the train has 25 stops, so maybe the hydrofoil is quicker.

Thanks,

Ron

A fast ferry from Naples to Sorrento takes about a half hour. You can also take a ferry from Sorrento to Positano, which takes about 35 - 40 minutes.

According to the currently posted schedule, you could leave Naples from Molo Beverello at 8:30 AM and arrive at Positano at 9:55.

The web site with the schedules isn't very user friendly, but here it is: http://www.metrodelmare.net/orari-tratte-e-tariffe/

Do you remember how much and how long it took you? We want to spend the day in Positano, I realize you can't get there via train from Naples, but rather have to get off at Sorrento and take a bus or taxi. From what I can tell, the train has 25 stops, so maybe the hydrofoil is quicker.

Thanks,

Ron

As Euro Cruiser states its about a 35 minute ride. Ferry dock was right where we docked. Getting to the train station takes time as does the train ride. The hydrofoil is much much quicker. I think the cost was 10-15E. Was there in 2010. We didn't go past Sorrento because of time restraints and wanting to do Pompeii. However, the bus schedules to Positano make the day really tight. The hydrofoil to Positano sounds best.

As Euro Cruiser states its about a 35 minute ride. Ferry dock was right where we docked. Getting to the train station takes time as does the train ride. The hydrofoil is much much quicker. I think the cost was 10-15E. Was there in 2010. We didn't go past Sorrento because of time restraints and wanting to do Pompeii. However, the bus schedules to Positano make the day really tight. The hydrofoil to Positano sounds best.

I love these boards:D Had no idea you could get a ferry from Sorrento to Positano. Sounds like a great plan. Having been to Positano before, we wanted to go back and spend more time there. IMHO, it's the nicest of the coastal towns. Thanks for the information, we will definetly look into the ferry option.

A fast ferry from Naples to Sorrento takes about a half hour. You can also take a ferry from Sorrento to Positano, which takes about 35 - 40 minutes.

According to the currently posted schedule, you could leave Naples from Molo Beverello at 8:30 AM and arrive at Positano at 9:55.

The web site with the schedules isn't very user friendly, but here it is: http://www.metrodelmare.net/orari-tratte-e-tariffe/

Seems like it would be a useful site. Any idea how to view it English?

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possible to go straight from Naples to Positano w/o stopping in Sorrento?

Maybe this will help with Circumvesuviana information.

On this page (http://www.circumvesuviana.com/web/en/InfoStazione), which is the schedule by station, first specify the Naples Porta Nolana station, then you can click on "timetable" (either winter or summer) to see the full list of trains from Porta Nolana. This list details whether each train is an express or a local.

Also on this page, under the "Railway Station" heading, you can click on "stop list" for the Sorrento line to see the full list, or "railway info" to see a graphic representation of the line and the stops.[/quote

I couldn't find a train (nolana to Sorrento line) that stopped in Pompeii's Scavi station. I understand Scavi is closest to the ruins. The return trip does list Scavi as a stop. Any ideas....? And thanks for this post!

I couldn't find a train (Nolana to Pompeii's Scavi station) but I did find Scavi stop on the return trip. I understand the town of Pompeii is farther from the ruins. Do I dare wait until we get there to try and translate the schedule ?

Any ideas?

thanks for the post!

• 2 months later...

We did spree to again but this time we came out of the terminal and turned left

Bought a ticket for the hydrofoil for 11 euro each and took the 40 min ride

When you arrive take the bus or walk up the hill

So much simpler and quicker and got a good long day there

You can get a Capri one from the same place

Archived