Disgraceful treatment!!!!

I have just enrolled on CC because I have seen some Seabourn offers and wanted to get a feel for the company but if this thread is anything to go by I am now a little dubious and I am thinking twice.

Can I ask the OP a direct question, is Seabourn accepting it made a mistake in ITS advertisement but is unwilling to cover its own mistake or was it a mistake made by the TA that they are showing some goodwill towards?

It looks to me as though the booking was made and the questionable thing is the flights, did Seabourn have the flights on your booking at anytime? or have I completely gotten hold of the wrong stick (wouldn't be the first time).

Your answers will help me decide whether to book with Seabourn or look at another line.

Best of luck,

George.

WOW! just didnt expect to see this from Seabourn.

So, sorry you are going through this.

Here's my story on prices be honored.

Last Oct/Nov we did a B2B on AZ

I booked direct and because I'm a Type A+ personality. I check my bookings at least once a day. Call me crazy, but by the end of the story you won't (well, maybe just a little)

This was about the same time that AZ was changing their entire concept and raising the prices A LOT.

Well, apparently when they were loading the new prices, instead of the price being $2599.00 they loaded $599.00

Yes, you read that right $599.00 for an upgraded inside cabin for a 12 night Eastern Med. cruise (this was the 1st segment)

Keep in mind this is when the new concept went into affect so this rate included beverages, complimentary wine and gratuities.

I did a print screen and called AZ instantly.

They honored that price without a fight in fact not even a discussion.

Azamara actually thanked me for catching it. While on the phone with them, I refreshed the pricing screen and it had already been changed.

You can quote this story if you need to and contact me if you want me to back it up.

As I said above, so Sorry that you are going through this....

Planning a cruise is about getting away from the stress of life, not having more stress brought into it.

Can I ask the OP a direct question, is Seabourn accepting it made a mistake in ITS advertisement but is unwilling to cover its own mistake or was it a mistake made by the TA that they are showing some goodwill towards?

It looks to me as though the booking was made and the questionable thing is the flights, did Seabourn have the flights on your booking at anytime? or have I completely gotten hold of the wrong stick (wouldn't be the first time).

Your answers will help me decide whether to book with Seabourn or look at another line.

Best of luck,

George.

See post #76

Host Dan

Thanks Dan, I missed that one - it would seem that Seabourn is at fault here, I had thought maybe they were caught up between the TA and the OP but if the advert came from them they do not have a leg to stand on although I archive all my mails from Seabourn to keep abreast of prices and haven't received that one which was the reason for my question.

I think maybe all these discounts they are offering are lowering their standards as this is not the actions of a" Luxury Company" I haven't fully made my mind up yet but as Silversea also have some good offers at the moment I am going to give this some serious thought.

All I can say is good luck, use the feedback here to ram home your point and don't let them get you down.

Having read Tilly's most recent post 99, all I can say is that this is a joke.

I can just see the bean counters at Seabourn over-ruling the salespeople (who are responsible for the original fare error) simply to maintain the company's margins but more importantly- for them - their bonuses. It's all about them. But it's also obviously NOT about the customer and the risk to the brand. So in a narrow sense Sales loses again. How stupid is this!?!

Is Management on vacation?

Tilly - maybe I am being thick, but I imagine you mean that Seabourn will give you back all that you have paid plus your already incurred expenses for the cruise you are supposed to be on? And then, if you were inclined ever to travel with them again, a £500 credit on a future cruise? But no compensation for all the hassle? And all the phone calls etc.

• Update.....

Hi everyone, I have now recieved a letter from Head of customer relations, or so he calls himself Gregory Crick.

He admitted to SB's advertisement mistake, and offered £500 total towards our £2600 extra they claim is due! I have already paid £2800, and all of this for a basic window cabin!Seems an awful lots to me.

They said there were alot of people who had been affected by this and that in order not to upset those cruisers who had paid full price for this cruise they could not honor their pricing to those of us affected!!

I have never heard such a load of b*ll in my life, what a total lack of respect for the clientelle.

He went on to wish me a pleasant SB cruise in august and looked forward to welcoming us onboard, why the hell would I ever want to travel with them again after this insult to my intelligence!!!

What is wrong with these people,

Seabourn you really have lost the plot!!!

The moral of the story is beware of Seabourns dirty tricks, they care about nobody,try another line,there are plenty out there!!

So Tilly - are you allowed to cancel and get all your money back or not? It seems to add up to you being expected to pay £2,700 each person in total for 7 days including flights and transfers? This sounds like more than most others would be paying.

So Tilly - are you allowed to cancel and get all your money back or not? It seems to add up to you being expected to pay £2,700 each person in total for 7 days including flights and transfers? This sounds like more than most others would be paying.

Yes I am allowed a refund, but with respect, is that not kind of missing the whole point of this farce??

Seabourn are advertising most of their window suites for far less than this, I can get midship verandas on equally good lines for this price!

1.400 GBP without flights is really considered to be a good offer Tilly.... especially for the big sisters (for a one week cruise p.p.). But why would you have to pay so much extra? Just for the flights....? I really can't understand that. Are you still going?

Try to relax....

Marja

Hi Tilly. I am sailing on the Spirit for 7 days in Aug and we paid £1580pp for cruise only. I booked quite a while ago and had I of waited I think the price for my cruise came down to about £1400pp in the end. £2700pp for cruise, flights and transfers seems pretty steep to me especially as you're in the UK flying to Athens. On the Seabourn website today they are offering one week on the Odyssey in Aug for £1599pp cruise only. I see Gregory Crick admitted in his letter that Seabourn had made the mistake in their advertising and offered £500 towards the extra. To be honest it really is Seabourns problem and as they have made you a financial offer to me that is probably a starting price (minimum they think they will get away with). I would go straight back to Gregory and possibly copy in John Delaney, SVP Marketing and Sales - after all it was his department that signed off an advertisment with the wrong information which has resulted in your unfortunate incident. Wishing you all the best and hope you get a good result. Also love your pic of one beautiful dog.

Yes of course Tilly, but I did wonder if they were not even allowing this!! It is impossible to understand how SB could expect you to pay this much - £2700 - anway. I agree, this offer is just a starter and you should continue pursuing it.

I do hope you can find something really nice to do for your birthday instead.

>" and that in order not to upset those cruisers who had paid full price for this cruise they could not honor their pricing to those of us affected!!"

This is ludicrous. I could care less if someone paid less or more than I did on a cruise. It happens with airlines all the time. Upset? I am upset that they are screwing you and others who happened on this bargain. They are being horrid and penny-wise and pound foolish.

If you want to sue them in King County Small CLaims Court, I will pay the fee!!

This whole farrago is so sad - we all know, including Tilly - that when you are on Seabourn ships pretty well everything is terrific; this is why we love them. But how let down the ships' personnel are by some idiots at headquarters. Hard to believe that Tilly's email said they wished you a 'pleasant cruise in August'. Just rubbing salt into the wound.

Do they realise that a lot of people who might be thinking of Seabourn look at these boards?

Maybe if they could now make some proper reparation it might improve their image just a little.

As I suspected, this was more widespread than Tilly. Seabourn's net $$ margins must be very small if they have chosen this as their "best" option. As another poster pointed out, other lines, such as Azamara (to which many experienced Seabourn staff have migrated), have honored similar mistakes without question.

As many of you regulars on this board know this is not the board I participate in.

With alot of hardwork, We are just at the stage in our lives that we can begin to consider luxury cruising.

I've just begun to investigate cruise lines in the luxury market and I have to say....

We had seen the Seabourn Odyssey in Bodrum when we were onboard AZ, since we docked next to them. We were very impressed with the public space

we could see with our bare eyes and the added use of binoculars

Seabourn was actually 1st on the list

Based on this thread and how the OP was treated, Seabourn has been shuffled to the bottom of the list for now.

Tilly...will you be changing your screen name?

As many of you regulars on this board know this is not the board I participate in.

With alot of hardwork, We are just at the stage in our lives that we can begin to consider luxury cruising.

I've just begun to investigate cruise lines in the luxury market and I have to say....

We had seen the Seabourn Odyssey in Bodrum when we were onboard AZ, since we docked next to them. We were very impressed with the public space

we could see with our bare eyes and the added use of binoculars

Seabourn was actually 1st on the list

Based on this thread and how the OP was treated, Seabourn has been shuffled to the bottom of the list for now.

Tilly...will you be changing your screen name?

Tilly's experience notwithstanding, we have never had any problems dealing with Seabourn.

>"Based on this thread and how the OP was treated, Seabourn has been shuffled to the bottom of the list for now."

I think this situation is abhorrent. I view it as perhaps a signal of how things might be with the new management. That is a concern for many of us, because we really enjoy cruising with Seabourn. I wouldn't be so hasty to demote the option, since the cruise experience can be idyllic.

I am new to this forum and as such have not built up any sort of history which means I can reply without fear of upsetting anyone I know.

I have slept on the “to book with Seabourn or not to book with Seabourn” dilemma and spoke about my concerns (based on this post) with my wife, she has a whole different way of looking at things and says it seems everyone is looking at only one side of the argument here, so I am going to offer another perspective.

· I think everyone who knows the Seabourn product would accept that a seven day cruise with flights and transfers has never been sold for only £1,400 pounds ($2,100) and I think deep down the OP knew that at the time of booking, but was hoping to take advantage of a slip up in advertising, which is fine if you can get away with it I suppose. However; as Seabourn have realised their error I am not surprised that they want to recoup their money. I have read urban myths before about stores having to sell goods at the marked price but it is just that, myth, a store cannot be legally forced to sell at an advertised price, imaging some scally wag employee putting a price tag of $1 in front of a Ferrari in the dealership……. I think you can get my point, maybe Asda will give you the extra 10p of the price of a tin of beans but we are talking tens of thousands of dollars here.

· Lets look at the moral side of this, did the OP knowingly try to gain an advantage from an erroneous advert, well I’m sorry but the OP has sailed Seabourn before so they would have had a very good idea of their prices so I think it is probably true to a certain extent, so the moral ground is somewhat thin too.

· Finally, the goodwill and marketing angle of this, obviously the OP is highlighting their case on CC to try to catch the eye of Seabourn (erroneously imho because they have slandered Seabourn virtually from the off so what do Seabourn have to gain now after over 100 pages of negative posts), I would say that the percentage of Seabourn customers who frequent these boards is probably low based on nothing more than fact that most posts are made by the same people, people who seem to love Seabourn and won’t be put off by this anyway so there is little to be gained here either.

Based on all of this I cannot condemn Seabourn out of hand, yes it would have been nice for them to fulfil their advertised costs but as the OP states it affects a lot of people and so it is a substantial amount of money and I can therefore see their point of view somewhat - if this affects only 25 people it is over $100,000, costs that will eventually have to met from somewhere.

An analogy, if you find a shop has given you change for a twenty instead of a ten do you a) Kick your heels and thank the poor sap who made the mistake or b) accept mistakes happen and someone will have to pay somewhere and go back and do the decent thing and return the money.

People are talking as if Seabourn is the enemy and not the provider of what appears to be a much loved product, I agree it is a poor situation for the OP but that doesn’t mean Seabourn should just lie back and lose a fortune because of an advertising error.

And as for the poster who quite openly recanted the story of deliberately ripping Azamara off, well, is that a sign of the times, are we morally bankrupt these days? Woohoo I made money off someone else’s misfortune (please, do not say they can afford it, or if you do accept that being robbed in the street by a poor person as acceptable), I remember when honesty was respected, I for one treat others as I would hope they would treat me and it has served me well up to now.

To end, I think what the OP wrote in their last post was over the top, I realise emotions are running high but please, lets not get carried away or would everyone have Seabourn ruined because people took what was posted to heart and stopped booking……..

George.

First of all, this thread is not about Seabourn's staff on board, They are not in question here.

Tilly had a contract with Seabourn which they have violated. Personally, I would have my attorney respond to Seabourn with copies to every top person in management AND copies to Conde Nast Traveler, Travel & Leisure, Porthole and every other periodical involved in the cruising industry. It shouldn't matter how much it costs Seabourn to recitify THEIR mistake. they should do it, swallow their medicine and be more mindful of misleading advertisement in the future.

First of all, this thread is not about Seabourn's staff on board, They are not in question here.

Tilly had a contract with Seabourn which they have violated. Personally, I would have my attorney respond to Seabourn with copies to every top person in management AND copies to Conde Nast Traveler, Travel & Leisure, Porthole and every other periodical involved in the cruising industry. It shouldn't matter how much it costs Seabourn to recitify THEIR mistake. they should do it, swallow their medicine and be more mindful of misleading advertisement in the future.

Firstly we have only the postings of an aggrieved customer, maybe all is not as it seems. Why is Seabourn getting all the blame when the OP says the booking was made via a travel agent, surely the contract the OP has is with them.

Secondly, do you really want to see Seabourn dragged through the mire in every quality periodical? would that not diminish the product, leading to lower standards, staff let go because of falling sales etc very OTT

You have your way of looking at ths story while others have theirs. But no matter how anyone looks at it this is a marketing disaster that is being poorly managed.

There are over 7800 views and no firm needs that much attention about its operation. When it's good there is nothing to report. But when it's bad, clumsy and slow, well, that's another matter.

No one thinks Seabourn is the enemy as such. After all, this is the best line around as far as onboard service, food and accomodation go. However, we are not used to the new shoreside management or its ways as of yet. They are clearly not doing well, are they?

Maybe what's most important to posters is our common doubt. If Seabourn takes your money and confirms your trip on the terms you booked, what's to stop them from interfering in other bookings. Not only is this illegal, it's sloppy and unprofessional. Is the customer expected to second guess what's been confirmed by the supplier and/or accommodate supplier caused errors?

The sign of the times that you are concerned about is best focused on sloppy sales management, a problem's pass the buck handling, and the doubt all this causes in the public domain. No Seaboun passenger wants to share in this mess, nor will they.

Archived