Eurodam J or I?

Megsie1000

Hi all! This is my very first post. :D Loving reading the boards so far and thanks everybody for all the great information!

I realize the question of the "biggest insides" on the Eurodam has been asked an answered. It looks like the J category on the main deck is the biggest. I am also considering an "I" on deck 6 (Upper Verandah) for convenience.

We are sailing the Eurodam January 14th, 2011 Eastern Caribbean. Our cabin will be myself, my husband and two of my children (they will be 6 and 3 1/2). So, we need a quad. My other daughter (8) will be in with my parents. I think my parents will be either booking a Superior Verandah or a Deluxe Verandah depending on the prices.

I am considering an "I" category to be closer to them. What do you think? They look smaller than the J cabins on the main deck but still larger than a lot of the other inside cabins. With four in a cabin, am I crazy for looking at anything smaller than the J cabins? How much of a premium is the convenience of Deck 6 instead of Deck 1? They are the same price for either cabin.

We have only sailed the Rotterdam (once), so this ship is all new to me.

Oh, I forgot to mention that my Dad highly favors booking on the Rotterdam Deck (Deck 7), so it is doubtful we would be on the same deck as them even if we booked an "I" cabin on Deck 6. I am leaning heavily toward the J cabins on the Main Deck, but just looking for some insight into whether Deck 6 is much nicer for any reason. TIA. :)

The large I's - 6065, 6069, 6073, 6075, 6079 - are a good alternative to the main deck J's.

Someone here recently pointed out that savvy HAL cruiser RevNeal sails in these cabins by preference. I remember the fact, but not the poster! Sorry whoever-you-are!

Main Deck really isn't further away from Rotterdam Deck if you plan to use the elevator.

However, if you are going to be using the stairs, there's no reason to stay away from Deck 6. The I-category cabins will serve just as well as the J-category cabins on Main Deck.

In either case, four people in a cabin is going to be tight, imo. Since two of the people are small children, however, it is do-able.

Thank you for the replies! I decided to put a hold on a J cabin, but I have a few days to change my mind before the deposit is due. My Dad told them to put us in for an upgrade, but when I go back to pay the deposit I am going to decline the upgrade option b/c I don't want to end up in a smaller cabin.

We did a teeny outside stateroom on one of the lowest decks on the Rotterdam last summer and even had a pack n play in there for the 2-year old, so I know it's possible, but tight. :eek: This cabin will probably feel like a palace after that stateroom ... especially since the 3-year old will be in a bed this time. :p

We use the elevators with the kids (especially the little dude), but I do like to climb the stairs when I am on my own or with the older ones to work off all the ice cream and late night desserts binges. So, maybe the Main Deck will be good for the exercise opportunity. LOL

Thanks for the info, too, I'll take another look at the sticky.

In addition to the I cabins on Level 6, there are about 4 "I" cabins on level 8 that look even larger. However, these are directly under the Lido whirlpool area. Has anyone stayed in these cabins, do they seem to get too noisy? Anything going on up there late at night that would disturb sleep or peace? Can you hear the motor noise from the hot tubs?

I saw those, too, Kelly, but they aren't quads so wouldn't work for us anyway. They look more rectangular in shape as opposed to square ones on the Main Deck, so my guess is that they are probably at least a bit smaller than the J's on the main deck.

With that size of a crowd you NEED a J. ( 285 ft)... the I verandas are 30% smaller and have half the storage space.... smaller closets and smaller bathroom....

I have cruised in both.... the Veranda was like a broom closet compares to the J on the main. You could not give me a veranda after the J experience

Plus with the J you will be closer to everything.. fron shore excursions to on and ott and dining than the upper deck.... I you have to travel the length of the ship and 6 decks to anything....not fun or convienient

Book space not hype:cool:

Put the deposit down on the "J" cabin today. We requested NO upgrade (unless it is to the Penthouse Suite ;)). We also reserved a Lido Cabana, which will give us some outdoor space to use with the kids without having to spend the extra dosh. $199 is a bargain.

My daughter will see how the other half lives up in her Deluxe Verandah Suite with my parents, which is costing my them 200% more than our inside cabin. :eek:

Megsie, you will love the J. I had one all to myself on a cruise on the Oosterdam. It was fabulous; there was so much room and closet space. Storage under the twin beds (or pushed together as a queen) in big pull-out drawers as well.

Archived