Current Captains Con't

What happened to Captain Hernan Zinni??? He was the Captain of the Allure when we sailed in February.

Capt Hernan is back in the home office. He was working on the new builds when it came time for him to return to sea to keep his master mariner's license. Now he goes back to the desk and its Capt Bill's turn to sail the sea to keep his license.

Capt Bill's ship will be Radiance of the Seas. To keep your master mariner license you have to actually master a ship every 3-5 years. So its time for the mighty captain to return to sea! Wish Capt Nik would decide to keep his license and go back to sea for a spin around the block!

Yes, it is not surprising that Bill Wright will return to the RD. I met him onboard when he and Kent Ringborn were the Masters from the beginning in 2001. In September 2001 he was promoted to SVP, Safety, Security & Environment.

Kent Ringborn retired in May 2005 and now lives in Portugal.

Does anyone know if Capt. Wright will be on the Sept 24 sailing from Honolulu to Sydney? I have seen him on TV and am looking forward to meeting him.

Sally

Anything can happen. But Bill Wright should be there for the crossing in Sept. He'll be there until late October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (now used more often because of the bad ad placement on the full CC website)

If Nik would go back to sea.......we would be on his first cruise!! Like some other captains that have a unique quality, Captain Nik is one of our favorites.

Rick

And we'd be right in line behind you! When we sailed Serenade to the Southern Caribbean in '04, Captain Nik did the "Piton Pivot" in St. Lucia, and did slow sail-by's of both Montserrat and St. Kitts. Maybe RC could convince him to come out of retirement to take out one of the Sunshine new-builds! :cool:

Anything can happen. But Bill Wright should be there for the crossing in Sept. He'll be there until late October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (now used more often because of the bad ad placement on the full CC website)

thank you

For his US License (I am a US Licensed Master myself) Capt. Wright will have to act as a captain for 90 days out of every 5 years and also 30 days in the year proceeding his license renewal also every 5 years. The ship he serves on must be over 1600 gross registered tons or 3000 international tonnage convention tons. All of the RCI ships are well over this tonnage requirement. His time from the Oasis would be more than enough to cover the 90 day / 5 year requirement but he will need the 30 days before the renewal year. Either way, I doubt that he is going back to sea for the license renewal as he has for the last few years with Oasis and Freedom. Once you have been a captain on the seas, it is very difficult to work ashore. Believe me, I know this to be the truth! I hope that this information helps and I am sure that his Norwegian and Bahamian licenses have very similar requirements with his US license. (I am sure that he holds all three)

For his US License (I am a US Licensed Master myself) Capt. Wright will have to act as a captain for 90 days out of every 5 years and also 30 days in the year proceeding his license renewal also every 5 years. The ship he serves on must be over 1600 gross registered tons or 3000 international tonnage convention tons. All of the RCI ships are well over this tonnage requirement. His time from the Oasis would be more than enough to cover the 90 day / 5 year requirement but he will need the 30 days before the renewal year. Either way, I doubt that he is going back to sea for the license renewal as he has for the last few years with Oasis and Freedom. Once you have been a captain on the seas, it is very difficult to work ashore. Believe me, I know this to be the truth! I hope that this information helps and I am sure that his Norwegian and Bahamian licenses have very similar requirements with his US license. (I am sure that he holds all three)

Thank you so much for the explanation. Appreciate you taking the time to enlighten us.

The captains usually rotate 10 weeks on/10 weeks off, although they can make arrangements between each other as long as they are not on longer than 14 weeks or less than 8 weeks. **Note** the info is only as accurate as people post who their master was. It may be off by weeks, even months

Adventure OTS - Capt Ron Holmes (started rotation 5-20-12)

Adventure OTS - Capt Ole-Johan Gronhaug

Allure OTS - Capt Tommy Nyseter (started rotation 6-3-12)

Allure OTS - Capt Johnny Faevelen

Brilliance OTS - Capt Manolis Kasselas (started rotation 5-12-12)

Brilliance OTS - Capt Henrik Sorensen

Enchantment OTS - Capt Anders Ingebrigsten (started rotation 4-27-12)

Enchantment OTS - Capt Gus Andersson

Explorer OTS - Capt Olav Nyseter (started rotation 3-26-12?)

Explorer OTS - Capt Henrik W Loy

Freedom OTS - Capt Tore Grimstad (started rotation 5-20-12)

Freedom OTS - Capt Tor Olsen

Grandeur OTS - Capt Rune Johnsen (started rotation 4-15-12)

Grandeur OTS - Capt Espen Been

Independence OTS - Capt Arnolf Remo (started rotation 5-19-12?)

Independence OTS - Capt Teo Strazicic

Jewel OTS - Capt James MacDonald (started rotation 4-23-12)

Jewel OTS - Capt Stig Nilsen

Legend OTS - Capt Sverre Ryan (started rotation 5-28-12?)

Legend OTS - Capt Vinko Mozara

Liberty OTS - Capt Leif Bang (started rotation 5-18-12)

Liberty OTS - Capt Kjetil Gjerstad

Majesty OTS - Capt Per Kjonso (started rotation 4-23-12)

Majesty OTS - Capt Arild Hansen

Mariner OTS - Capt Per Kristoffersen (started rotation 4-15-12)

Mariner OTS - Capt Flemming Nielsen

Monarch OTS - Capt Trond Holm (started rotation 4-13-12)

Monarch OTS - Capt Kjell Nordmo

Navigator OTS - Capt Claus A Andersen (started rotation 5-20-12)

Navigator OTS - Capt Erik Standahl

Oasis OTS - Capt Thore Thorolvsen (started rotation 4-21-12)

Oasis OTS - Capt Trym Selvag

Radiance OTS - Capt Sindre Borsheim (started rotation 4-5-12)

Radiance OTS - Capt Bill Wright

Rhapsody OTS - Capt Rob Hempstead (started rotation 4-8-12)

Rhapsody OTS - Capt Rick Sullivan

Serenade OTS - Capt Karin Stahre-Janson (started rotation 4-21-12)

Serenade OTS - Capt Michel Claveau

Splendour OTS - Capt Iv Vidos (started rotation 5-12-12)

Splendour OTS - Capt Carl Graucob

Vision OTS - Capt Felix Schrecko Ban (started rotation 3-12-12?)

Vision OTS - Capt Lis Lautritzen

Voyager OTS - Capt Charles Teige (started rotation 5-15-12)

Voyager OTS - Capt Frank Martinsen

Captain Lis just started last month.......and now she is off and Captain Felix is back aboard. I hope that all is well with her.....and am hoping that she will be with us next year on our TA on the Vision!:)

Rick

Mostly accurate info, you can still get 'seatime" while in drydock or shipyard periods, usually a day for a day vs. day and a hal for a day, but still has to do a checkout in a simulator. The Manilla Amendments this year had some big changes, and this was a great portion for the deck officers, but it mostly effected engineerin officers.

This, IMO, is great for some(office/management types that do not actually sail), but for the rest of us (underweigh over 280 days a year for the last 6 years) its a slap in the face.

I hold a Unlimited Tonnage Inland, Master 1600grt/3000ITC Oceans, Master of Towing, First class Pilot.

Hi just saw this thread, great one! Going on Freedom of the seas in the end of September, looking at the last list the two captains are Tore Grimstad and Tor Olsen. Will one of these be the captain on our sailing? Just asking because their names sound norvegian, and I am one, lol.

Hi just saw this thread, great one! Going on Freedom of the seas in the end of September, looking at the last list the two captains are Tore Grimstad and Tor Olsen. Will one of these be the captain on our sailing? Just asking because their names sound norvegian, and I am one, lol.

I think they are. At least Olsen is and btw most RCI captains are norwegians.

Captain Lis just started last month.......and now she is off and Captain Felix is back aboard. I hope that all is well with her.....and am hoping that she will be with us next year on our TA on the Vision!:)

Rick

Someone posted just today on the CD thread and said their captain is Lis.

I think they are. At least Olsen is and btw most RCI captains are norwegians.

Haven't done an actual breakdown by nationality, but while Norwegians seem to be predominant, Norwegian ancestry doesn't seem to be a requirement. Certainly Captains Wright, Zinni, MacDonald,Remo, Sullivan, Ryan, Kasselas, Hempstead,and Lauritzen are not.:)

Haven't done an actual breakdown by nationality, but while Norwegians seem to be predominant, Norwegian ancestry doesn't seem to be a requirement. Certainly Captains Wright, Zinni, MacDonald,Remo, Sullivan, Ryan, Kasselas, Hempstead,and Lauritzen are not.:)

Or Bann. :)

You're getting me confused again!!!:eek::(:confused:

Someone posted just today on the CD thread and said their captain is Lis.

Rick

You're getting me confused again!!!:eek::(:confused:

Here's the post from the CD thread, from the 6/9 sailing of Vision

Hello from the Vision of the Seas!

We have a female captain on board, her name is Lis Lauritzen, she was born and raised in Copenhagen and is half Japanese and half Danish. She now calls Portugal home.

Mike Hunnerup from Adelaide, Australia is our Cruise Director. He has been with RCL since 2000 and started in a Cruise Director Staff position.

Franz Litzner from Austria, is the Food and Beverage Manager

Jorge Lyncy from Costa Rica is the Hotel Director

Nicola Cerjan is the Chief Engineer on board from Dubrovnik, Croatia

and Pablo Toscano is the Loyalty & Cruise Sales Manager, he is from Buenos Aires.

This is the 741st cruise for the Vision of the Seas. There are 775 crew members on board. The country with the most passengers is Norway, with 1217, then the US has 209 on board, there are 195 from Portugal, 45 from the UK and 33 from South Africa (those are the top 5 countries represented on the ship).

Edited by DonnaK

Captain Wright, McDonald ,Ryan and Remo are Norwegian

Edited by Tjukka

Captain Wright, McDonald ,Ryan and Remo are Norwegian

By what standard? Their names are certainly not Nordic in origin. Captain James McDonald is a native of New Brunswick, Canada and now lives in Florida. If he ever lived in Norway, I doubt he would qualify as being Norwegian.:)

By what standard? Their names are certainly not Nordic in origin. Captain James McDonald is a native of New Brunswick, Canada and now lives in Florida. If he ever lived in Norway, I doubt he would qualify as being Norwegian.:)

Bill Wright's mother is Norwegian and his wife and children live in Norway .Remo lives in Aalesund Norway and was born there.Sverre Ryan is Norwegian or Swedish

Okwill give you Mcdonald .

Edited by Tjukka

So there is a good chance our captain will be a Norvegian then, it does not matter to me, I'm sure who ever it is will do a fine job. Just a little fun for us if he or she is ;)

Bill Wright's mother is Norwegian and his wife and children live in Norway .Remo lives in Aalesund Norway and was born there.Sverre Ryan is Norwegian or Swedish

Okwill give you Mcdonald .

Capt MacDonald told me last December that he left Canada when he was 14, he's a naturalized US citizen now