Can you recommend a nice bottle of wine that won't break the bank?

wannago35

I was wondering if anyone would mention the Stella Rosa wines! I absolutely love them but can't get them in New Mexico--no distributor there. I have to buy them in CA or NV. I love the Stella Rosa red wine and their Muscato is fabulous! Actually, I think I love every moscato wine I've ever tried! I discovered that one decades ago. You won't go wrong with Stella Rosa wines from Italy. Does anyone know if they're available in Miami? I'll be sailing out of there in September.

I note that you are from New Mexico , there is a great little winery in Dixon , New Mexico called La Chirapata that has a great riesling and their Rio Embudo Red is really good . We found them a number of years ago and every time we go to NM we make a trip to Dixon to get some of their wine.

• 3 months later...
This is now my favorite red wine that I discovered last year. It is sometimes hard to find but so worth it.

My wife doesn't like wine but she enjoys this one as it has a hint of chocolate. Just a warning that once you try this wine you wont drink anything else.

http://www.apothic.com/wine.html

Didn't think I would find this here in Canada - but I did - so got a bottle to try it out - will let you know what I think :D

Also picked up a bottle of Dancing Bull Zinfandel (2009, California) which I highly recommend (tried a 'red wine flight' at a local wine bar and dh and I both really like this one!)

My new favorite is Muscato and I have been trying several brands to find the one I like best. So far Barefoot is my fav. Principatto is one brand that Olive Garden offers quite often. You can find it in red, white or blush. Blush is my favorite as I am not big on red wines.

Oh, the benefits of living close to St. Michelle. I love their Riesling and can get it for $6.00 a bottle at our grocery store, the reserve not much more. I'm amazed when I see restaurants selling it for $45 a bottle.

Ok..Im jealous;) Chateau St Michelle is my FAVORITE!!! I can get it locally for about $9 but Ive never seen the Reserve. Will have to go looking for that one.

I'm writing all this down ... but I like really sweet wine (DH says I really just like spiked grape juice:o) The best wine I ever had was called "Nightingale" -- that I bought at Beringers in Napa Valley a few years ago. No place sells it around here and they will not ship it to Kentucky, so I have never found it again.

Can anyone recommend a really sweet wine - white or red (if there is a sweet red that isn't just grape juice:rolleyes:). We sail in one week and one day :D and I'd love to have a new wine to take on board.

Thanks!

If you like sweet try a Reisling. Search for something in the $10-14 range and ask someone at the shop if you have questions. They always have recommendations. Also a good thing to go by is that some stores put the "rating score" for wines on the shelf next to it. I usually search for something with a score of 90 or higher in my price range and have never been disappointed.

For pink, try a rose

Moscato is a very sweet white wine. Seems better suited as a dessert wine. A lot of women that I know swear by it, me personally it is not my thing but I'll drink it if there is nothing else :D

I used to be a big Beringer White Zinfadel fan but now I would actually lean towards the White Merlot by Beringer. It is a little less sweet than the white Zinfadel and uses the Merlot Grape which gives it the darker appearance over the blush/red white Zinfadel. The 750 ml bottles can be had for $5.00 on sale. Despite not being as sweet as a Moscato, both wines are much sweeter than your average wines.

Berginer is really a good brand to stick with. The price is right and it won't give you that cheap taste/feel that some of those real cheap wines (Gallo, Oak Leaf). You can try their Chenin Blanc, Cabernet, Chardonnay, Merlot, Sauvignon Blanc, etc. and feel like you got your money's worth.

I'm a red drinker... I generally drink old world (italian, french, spanish, portuguese) but do enjoy a california table wine. My favorite types are pinot noir, cote du rhone, chianti, and red zin.

If I am in the mood for white it's usually exclusively a sauvingnon blanc. I don't care for sweet or overly fruity wines. The sauv blanc has nice notes of pear and grapefruit and is very light.

My red splurge is La Crema Pinot Noir -- YUM and I also really like Layer Cake zinfandel as well. Used to really like Firesteed in the $15 range but the price has gone up over $20 so we don't get it too often.

You can totally find good reds in the $9-14 range, and it's so much fun to try lots of different kinds to see what you like.

I generally find I can't go wrong with brands like Mark West, 7 Deadly Zins, Francis Coppola, Ravenswood....

I realize wine is a really personal choice -- so just go out and taste them all :D

white wine- HOGUE, Late Harvest Reisling, Washington State...slightly sweet $10.00

Red Wine- Sungarden, Dornfelder, Germany...slightly sweet $12.00

I highly recommend the Hogue and it can be picked up at Total Wine or I have seen it all over... ;) It also has a screwtop so it does not need an opener... ;)

HOGLHR_tn.jpg

Hogue Late Harvest Riesling

Late Harvest Riesling

Columbia Valley, Washington

Eastern Washington’s low annual rainfall and cool nights during the growing season make it the perfect area for producing consistently great late harvest wines. The Hogue Cellars has developed a style of late harvest Riesling that is crisp yet moderately sweet. The wine was produced from select Riesling vineyards where the fruit can ripen to the required 24°+ Brix. At that level of ripeness, the wine develops its trademark tangerine/apricot flavor. Zesty aromas of orange, lemon-lime and peach are followed by flavors of tangerine, apricot and a trace of mineral. Serve with poached pears, apple pie or a cheese platter of Stilton, smoked Gouda and fresh goat cheese. It’s also excellent served well chilled as an aperitif.

I was just at Beringer last week while in Calif.. They have a sweet, but not too sweet, red Moscato. It's so good I can't describe it! They have a white as well, but the red is the bomb.

Now here's even better news. I come back to Texas and find a huge display in the supermarket of the Red Moscato. It was only $4 and change a bottle!!!

Get this wine, put it in the fridge along with a wine glass and enjoy.:)

I am a level 2 wine expert( next step is to become a licensed Sommalier)

Like another poster wrote that wine is suggestive it all depends on your palette.. My suggestion would be to sign up for a wine tasting prior to your cruise ( we just finished one that was 107 wines from all regions of the world ,another one on the 16th of Nov)

If you want something lite to drink on the deck I would suggest an Australian Traminer-Reisling blend..It pares well with alot of different things especcially spicy foods.. If you want a white that will go with Fish to spice to Chicken try a P.Grigio..If you want something like a"Funberry" wine try a mist type kit, these ones are very sweet and go down like soda..As for the Reds .. there is the generic Merlot, Shiraz and Cab Sav but if you want to try something else.. go for a South African Pinotage or a Chilean Malbec...

If it a wine on board that you want that I find is the best kept secret.. try the Spanish Rioja( it was only 17.00.. and IMHO they have no idea what they have.. it is jewel of a full bodied red..

Salut' Cheers..Karen from Canada:D

Archived