Has Anyone Taken Amtrak from Seattle to LA??

On day one we traveled on the bus Vancouver to Seattle. There was time to walk around and get a lunch before boarding the Coast Starlight. We had regular seating and got off at Salem Oregon. We stayed the night in a prebooked motel.

On day 2 we walked around Salem and had lunch then we collected our luggage and boarded that day's Coast starlight (so we had been off the train for 24 hours). Again we got regular seats which were much more comfortable overnight than economy in a plane.

On day 3 we spent plenty of time in the parlor car looking at the ocean.

Cost was two regular tickets + one motel night and we saw Salem.

Going north we took a 3 day Pacific Coastal voyage so it was in May.

Did you have a sleeping compartment overnight after Salem? The Pacific Parlour Car is restricted to sleeper passengers. There is the regular lounge car, the Sightseer Lounge, accessible to all, though.

Did you have a sleeping compartment overnight after Salem? The Pacific Parlour Car is restricted to sleeper passengers. There is the regular lounge car, the Sightseer Lounge, accessible to all, though.

We had just seats overnight so we must have used the sightseer lounge. It had great views and I think that is where there was a little shop selling snacks below.

We brought food and drink onto the train and also purchased dinner after Salem and breakfast next morning in the dining car.

Since it's late (have to go to bed soon), I'm going to give my reply without reading the whole thread.

We boarded the Coast Starlight in Oxnard in 2004 and got into Seattle four hours late. Same thing for the return trip. We chose Oxnard because it was the closest station (other than Union Station) that you can check baggage at that time (I believe the route has changed slightly since then).

One reason it took so long both ways is that Amtrak doesn't have priority on those tracks so every once in a while it got sidetracked.

We had a family bedroom for the three of us -- it included meals. We thought the food was overrated (the dinners would cost $18 at that time -- for the quality, not worth it). Some people in coach brought coolers with food and drinks -- I'm guessing they were just going for a day or less.

On the way north, the bathroom situation was pretty bad. Some plumbing problems which caused some of the restrooms to be shut down. At one point, the train was stopped for a while but the attempt to fix the plumbing was unsuccessful. Was not a pleasant situation at all if you gather my meaning.

One thing to be aware of--Bring a flashlight with you. When the cars become detached from the engine ALL lights go out. Even the emergency ones. This happened on our LAX-NYC trip following a cold snap.

ScottishMaid if we had the time we would do what you did. Sounds wonderful.

Since it's late (have to go to bed soon)' date=' I'm going to give my reply without reading the whole thread.

We boarded the Coast Starlight in Oxnard in 2004 and got into Seattle four hours late. Same thing for the return trip. We chose Oxnard because it was the closest station (other than Union Station) that you can check baggage at that time (I believe the route has changed slightly since then).

One reason it took so long both ways is that Amtrak doesn't have priority on those tracks so every once in a while it got sidetracked.

We had a family bedroom for the three of us -- it included meals. We thought the food was overrated (the dinners would cost $18 at that time -- for the quality, not worth it). Some people in coach brought coolers with food and drinks -- I'm guessing they were just going for a day or less.

On the way north, the bathroom situation was pretty bad. Some plumbing problems which caused some of the restrooms to be shut down. At one point, the train was stopped for a while but the attempt to fix the plumbing was unsuccessful. Was not a pleasant situation at all if you gather my meaning.[/quote']

Happily, the timekeeping situation has vastly improved since 2004. Between a threatened lawsuit by Amtrak against UP, and the new enforcement teeth for passenger train priority as part of the PRIIA act, the timekeeping is now around 90% on time. It looks like it is going to stick, because it really has not been a routine problem since 2008. Of course, things happen on individual trips, a freight train hits a car ahead of you, but it is not the routine way UP used to wreck the schedule due to their dispatching, when they made the train was 4-12 hours late almost every day.

The last 3 times I rode it over the last 18 months, it was almost 30 minutes early into LA each time.

The route has not changed at all. They dropped the stop in Glendale and added ones at Burbank Airport and Van Nuys is about that has happened since 2004. Van Nuys has checked baggage service, BTW.

We had just seats overnight so we must have used the sightseer lounge. It had great views and I think that is where there was a little shop selling snacks below.

We brought food and drink onto the train and also purchased dinner after Salem and breakfast next morning in the dining car.

Big wrap-around windows on the top floor, and snack bar downstairs is the Sightseer, all right. Just wanted to be clear so everyone knows what the amenities are. The parlour was on the other end of the diner from the Sightseer, BTW.

I mostly travel solo, and the shared dining is often the most enjoyable experience of the trip. People tend to be remarkably open and friendly on trains. Give it a try.

Thanks for the information, but (respectfully) no thanks for the suggestion. :-) I know what works for me, and dining with strangers generally doesn't.

"Room service" is available from the your sleeping car attendant. ... Technically, it is really only for the disabled, but I've never seen them refuse anyone. Tip WELL when the meal is delivered, in addition to any general tip you give at the end of the trip.

Thanks, I had guessed that any room service option would be primarily intended for disabled passengers. Overall, it sounds like the Parlour Car is the dining place for me, or ask for room service if I want something from the regular dining car menu.

You might want to let the attendant know that you'll asking to eat in you room for most meals right at the beginning when he comes by your room to greet you and show you how the room works. That way he can work things out with you, and you won't have to chase him down at meal time (if he is a "hider").

There should be a package in the room that has both the dining car and PPC menus, so you can figure out which meals you'd like to eat where. If there isn't, just ask him and he can get sample menus for you.

Have fun!

Zephyr,

Since I am now retired and I live in Seattle are, and my daughter is in San Diego, I have put this on my bucket list.

I travel solo, so the roomette is a bit pricey, but I will definitely try it, at least once. I would probably choose to fly one way and take the train the other.

It sounds like it would be a lot of fun and a great photo experience. When I drive, I miss a lot of picture opportunities.

Thanks to all for great info.

Debbie

Zephyr,

Since I am now retired and I live in Seattle are, and my daughter is in San Diego, I have put this on my bucket list.

I travel solo, so the roomette is a bit pricey, but I will definitely try it, at least once. I would probably choose to fly one way and take the train the other.

It sounds like it would be a lot of fun and a great photo experience. When I drive, I miss a lot of picture opportunities.

Debbie

As long as you can take photos from a moving train, and are where you want to take pictures during the daylight hours (check the timetable). And be aware that, although it's called the Coast Starlight, it's not really on the coast for very much at all: esssentially, from around San Luis Obispo to Santa Barbara/Ventura. I think it's dark when the train crosses the Siskiyous going south, though maybe a view of Mt. Shasta will be possible. I think I paid about $300 total when I took it from Portland to L.A. in March (could have gotten it a bit cheaper if I'd bought earlier, but accommodation prices go up as they fill up). Figured that for transportation and meals and accommodation, it wasn't much more, if any, than flying.

Zephyr,

Thanks to all for great info.

Debbie

If you are going to go only one way, I suggest taking it northbound from LA. Northbound you have both the coast running between Ventura and San Luis Obispo, and you go over the Oregon Cascades on Willamette Pass mid-morning the second day. Southbound the Cascades are the evening of the first day and it is dark unless you go in the middle of summer. The Siskiyous and Mt. Shasta are always at night both directions (if on time).

As Fattony points out, the charges are yield managed, and roomette accomodation charges can be as low as about $250 to around $600. Try traveling in the off season or shoulder season and book well in advance for the best prices. Also, if you can be flexible and are shooting for a general set of dates, check multiple dates around the time you want to go. A roomette one day could be $500 and the next day only $250.

HERE IS A LITTLE VIDEO OF OUR ROOMETTE AND WHAT WE SAW

Some of us Arizona Cruisers are going to Vancouver on the Sapphire Princess in May 2012.

Returning we will be taking the bus from Vancouver to Seattle and then catch the Amtrak train...Coast Starlight.

There is a travel time of 35 hours.

Have you stayed in a roomette or bedroom?

Trying to figure out if paying the 400.00 difference is worth it for a bedroom versus the roomette.

What are the public restrooms like besides small?

Any suggestions for travel on Amtrak?

Thanks for any input..

Laura

Zephyr,

This is the route( northbound) I was thinking of. I did look at other dates in the fall and they were definitely a lot cheaper.

I might do a couple of RT's to Portland first. It looks like I can catch the Coast Starlight back to Seattle, so it would be a nice way to check it out.

Since I would go from San Diego to Seattle, I have a train change. Do they handle the bag transfer, or do I have to collect them when we get in LA and move them myself ?

I am doing the Carnival Spirit repo to Australia next year and had already planned on taking the train to Vancouver for the B2B cruise.

Zephyr,

This is the route( northbound) I was thinking of. I did look at other dates in the fall and they were definitely a lot cheaper.

I might do a couple of RT's to Portland first. It looks like I can catch the Coast Starlight back to Seattle, so it would be a nice way to check it out.

You can go either or both ways on the Starlight between Seattle and Portland, and it would be a good way to check out the train. However, if you go coach, it is different than the sleeper and you wouldn't have access to the PPC. If two of you are going, the upgrade to a roomette just between Portland and Seattle shouldn't be horribly expensive split between two people, and you'd get to experience the room and the Parlour car. I'd go south on the Starlight if it fits your schedule, as the train will be ramping up for the trip instead of winding down.

Since I would go from San Diego to Seattle, I have a train change. Do they handle the bag transfer, or do I have to collect them when we get in LA and move them myself ?

Your checked baggage is checked through to your destination, just like the airlines. Amtrak will handle it for you. You only have to worry about your carry-ons. You might want to think about getting a Business Class seat on the Surfliner from San Diego. It isn't very much, it is more comfortable, and you get a reserved seat. The Surfliners are otherwise unreserved and you are not guaranteed a seat. Shouldn't be a problem getting on in San Diego, but you never know.

I am doing the Carnival Spirit repo to Australia next year and had already planned on taking the train to Vancouver for the B2B cruise.

Business class is also nice on the Cascades. One small note, Everett station has free long term parking (and a relatively cheap scheduled Shuttle Express run between SeaTac and there). Just tell the agent and they'll fill out a form letting their security know, since you would be leaving a car there more than 72 hours.

Thanks for the additional input..

I was told today by Amtrak agent that in our car 1130 there are 10 roomettes (# 1-10) on the upper level with one bathroom-no changing area or shower. She said there are 4 roomettes downstairs with additional facilities and best used by the disabled.

We were told that there is no checked baggage on this train or bus and we have to store our 2 bags each in our roomette and there is additional hall storage outside the roomette.

Does the Parlour Car close at a certain time?

Thanks

Thanks for the additional input..

I was told today by Amtrak agent that in our car 1130 there are 10 roomettes (# 1-10) on the upper level with one bathroom-no changing area or shower. She said there are 4 roomettes downstairs with additional facilities and best used by the disabled.

We were told that there is no checked baggage on this train or bus and we have to store our 2 bags each in our roomette and there is additional hall storage outside the roomette.

Does the Parlour Car close at a certain time?

Thanks

The attendant in the Parlour usually goes off duty at 10 or 10:30, but the car remains open to sit in. They'll also go off duty for meal breaks, but they'll announce it.

The agent was pretty much full of it about downstairs. The downstairs bathrooms and shower are intended to be used for all passengers in the car and can be used by all. Otherwise there is one bathroom for 10 rooms and 4 bathrooms for 5 rooms. The agents frequently do not know that much about life on trains, she was just looking at the car layout.

Again, with regard the checked bags, the agent was again sort of wrong. She was right about no checked baggage on the bus, and that you cannot check bags through to LA from Vancouver. Typically, you can bring as much luggage as you need on the bus, it has a luggage hold underneath.

But the train DOES have checked baggage service (just look at the timetable) and you CAN check whatever bags you want at Seattle. Also, according to the timetable, you have 45 minutes at Seattle, plenty of time to check any bags. Here is a link to the timetable.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/BlobServer?blobcol=urldata&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobkey=id&blobwhere=1249224979070&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobheadername1=Content-disposition&blobheadervalue1=attachment;filename=Amtrak_P11.pdf

The "hall storage" is not right outside your roomette, but a luggage rack downstairs. And you really can only fit 2 SMALL bags in the room and I mean small. I don't think there is enough space to fit 2 carry-on size roller suitcases in the room with the beds down. Plan on using the downstairs rack.

You are at the end of the car, and you are in luck with car 1130, you are in the closest car to the Parlour and the diner.

You just have to pick the right station, and you can check luggage. I guess some stations just don't have the personnel to do so. As stated above, check the timetable, but also the Amtrak website will detail the amenities available or not for each station.

Thanks for the idea!

Looks like I could ride the Starlight from Tacoma to Portland mid-day, and booking a roomette for that leg would hopefully get me lunch + parlour car access. Then I could ride the Cascades from PDX back to TAC later in the afternoon. Looks like the ticket price for all of that would be right around $100 bucks - and that should give me a good introduction to Amtrak operations.

Thanks for the idea!

Looks like I could ride the Starlight from Tacoma to Portland mid-day, and booking a roomette for that leg would hopefully get me lunch + parlour car access. Then I could ride the Cascades from PDX back to TAC later in the afternoon. Looks like the ticket price for all of that would be right around $100 bucks - and that should give me a good introduction to Amtrak operations.

Absolutely a roomette from TAC to PDX will get you lunch and access to the Parlour. You'll miss the wine tasting, though, as that is done after it leaves Portland.

Thanks again for info...:)

Today found out by 2 agents we can check luggage on train for the Coast Starlight.

To tell you the truth I thought the cruise lines were bad about providing inaccurate info but Amtrak is far worse.

I do know that getting your tickets right away is not a good idea for once you get your tickets if you cancel I would only get a voucher for my roomette and rail back to charge card minus 10%. If I wait till last minute I get full refund if I do not have tickets.

As far as bathrooms downstairs I guess I should have said that if you are disabled you should use the bathroom facilities there I was told. Sorry!

I guess we will stay upstairs in 1130 Roomette 2.

Thanks!!

Laura

i've taken it a few times...lovely train....

The parlor car is nice...the food there is pretty good..if you decide to eat in the PPC as opposed to the regular diner, go early as they sometimes run out of 1 item in the parlor car..

You can have meals served in your car...it is not just for disabled...it is part of the info about sleeper car service....

shower shoes or even cheap flip flops are a great idea...they will give you a little toiletry bag, but you can bring some stuff with you too.

the roomettes are tiny....

the bathrooms in the sleeper cars are generally better maintained than those in the coaches....

i have had some super attendants on that train too.....it's really a beautiful trip....i took lots of pix out the windows..just hold your camera at an angle to cut down on reflection. If you have a DSLR, take multiple exposures...that way you'll have more pix to choose from. Any yucky ones you can just delete!

amtrak is pretty bad about correct info..especially JULIE and train status on the phone....

as for dining with community seating...i really don't like to do this, but the one place i will tolerate it is on the train....i have had great dining companions and ones that were rather well, not nice....in the PPC though i have only ever been seated with one other person so that wasn't bad. Your Lead Service attendant will take reservations and you'll hear an announcement when they start going through the train.....if you are traveling with others, then you can probably tell the LSA to please seat you all together...

there is nothing in the seattle station, though they are renovating it. LA at least has a subway, starbucks, pretzel place, little market or 2 and a bagel place, plus a full service restaurant.....

Thanks again for info...:)

Today found out by 2 agents we can check luggage on train for the Coast Starlight.

To tell you the truth I thought the cruise lines were bad about providing inaccurate info but Amtrak is far worse.

I do know that getting your tickets right away is not a good idea for once you get your tickets if you cancel I would only get a voucher for my roomette and rail back to charge card minus 10%. If I wait till last minute I get full refund if I do not have tickets.

As far as bathrooms downstairs I guess I should have said that if you are disabled you should use the bathroom facilities there I was told. Sorry!

I guess we will stay upstairs in 1130 Roomette 2.

Thanks!!

Laura

Actually, the toilets downstairs are not even handicapped accessible. They are basically tiny airline type toilet cubicles, same as the upstairs one. The only handicapped accessible toilet in the car is the one inside the Handicapped Bedroom.

Unfortunately, you nailed it on some of the call center agents. They often really do not know the details, what the trains are actually like, and pretty much just read what the computer says. Since the computer wouldn't show checked baggage available from your origination point of Vancouver, that is what the one agent said.

You are right about the tickets, and not to print them too early. However, do get them before you go, as I do not think the ticket counter in Vancouver is open when that bus leaves and Vancouver does not have QuikTrak machines. Also, Amtrak is beginning to roll out e-Ticketing and if you are going next year, you might be able to turn it into an eTicket.

Congratulations on the room assignment though. You got about the best roomette on the train, in my opinion. Closest to the middle of the car for the best ride, right across the aisle from the attendant, and in the closest car to the Parlour. Only downside is you are right beside the coffee station and sometimes folks tend to hand out there, particularly in the mornings.

PS - if you have an SLR or DSLR, get a polarizing filter to make it easier to shoot out windows (cuts down on the reflections).

the only other choice is to pick it up at a station provided that it is a staffed station, and/or there is a QuikTrack machine...

it isn't really an issue, it is just harder to change a reservation once it is "ticketed"..

Archived