CPAP users, I need help with a quick question.

pomm1972

I think the ones from the desk are the heavy duty 25 ft'ers. ($25 deposit if they have any left)

It has to go from the bed to the place to plug in which is over the desk.

distilled water is about $4 a gallon sold from one of the bars, but the filtered water from your bathroom tap is supposed to be ok too.

I always carry a 10' standard household extn cord in my CPAP case, bundled up with the regular power cord any time I travel with it. The power cord on my unit is about 6' long, so that's plenty of cord length combined. Never had a problem at security with the cord.

I usually unplug the cord & stow it right beside/under the unit once I get up to avoid trip hazards for my cabinmate & steward.

I don't use the humidifier, so water's not a worry.

I always carry a 10' standard household extn cord in my CPAP case, bundled up with the regular power cord any time I travel with it. The power cord on my unit is about 6' long, so that's plenty of cord length combined. Never had a problem at security with the cord.

I usually unplug the cord & stow it right beside/under the unit once I get up to avoid trip hazards for my cabinmate & steward.

I don't use the humidifier, so water's not a worry.

I also keep a 10 foot cord in the carry case. Plenty to reach the outlet over the desk. And unplug and coil up during the daytime.

The water on the ship is safe to use. It is not like using tap water (with minerals, etc) at home. The water from the tap on the ship is salt water that goes through a distillation, reverse osmosis process. Many people have respomded that it tastes better than their home water. I checked with the medical supply company that supplies me with my CPAP, and they said shipboard water will not harm the unit.

I am new to the world of CPAP, as this will be my first trip since getting it. How long of an extension cord do I need? My cabin mates thank you.

For a CPAP, you don't need a heavy duty extension cord from your garage. So I carry a 15ft lamp extension cord with mine. The CPAP is rated 1 amp max, and the cord is rated 16 amps max.

On one ship I was on, the 15 footer plus the cord from the machine was just barely long enough to get the job done. Although I was being fussy with how I wanted things set up. I could have reconfigured and had slack left over if I wanted to.

You DO want to bring an extension. If you forget it at home, get an extension on the ship quick. They carry a limited supply.

Any time "CPAP" is written here, you get tons of folks telling you that you don't need distilled water. But go with whatever your Dr. told you in person, not what we strangers on the web think. ;)

15 footer will be more than enough. A ten footer will probablyh due since the CPAP has a pretty decent cord on it already.

I also travel with some duck tape. (I have come across many uses for it on past cruises. ) I always tape the extension cord to the floor. If you get up in the middle of the night, it avoids the possibility of tripping over it.

Also, having a CPAP is justification for bringing a power strip. A very handy thing to bring along for phone chargers, camera chargers, etc.

I generally agree with what everyone has said here. However, I've been lucky in that I've usually found an outlet close enough to the bed that I've never needed an extension cord. One thing you might consider is getting a longer cord from the medical supply house from where you got your CPAP. I get mine from the VA and the first time I took my CPAP on a cruise, I went up to the VA and asked about a longer electrical cord for the machine. The guy handed me a 12 foot cord that I could substitute for the normal cord. No extension cord and it exactly matched the machine. The only problem I've ever had with my CPAP (now BiPAP) was taking it through airport security one time and the guy who looked at it had no clue what it was. For that, I got the "special" treatment from my friendly TSA agent. I told him it was a CPAP and he didn't know what a CPAP was. He quickly learned.

I am new to the world of CPAP, as this will be my first trip since getting it. How long of an extension cord do I need? My cabin mates thank you.

Another nice thing to know is that a CPAP does not count as a carry on on domestic flights.

Another nice thing to know is that a CPAP does not count as a carry on on domestic flights.

Good point, Tahoe Bob, although the first time I brought my CPAP on the plane with me, I was told I had to check one of my carry on's as I had more than the allotted pieces (one was my CPAP case) for that flight. Tsk, tsk, always having to educate the less fortunate.

I checked with the medical supply company that supplies me with my CPAP, and they said shipboard water will not harm the unit.
We don't care if the ship water will harm the unit, we care that the water will harm "us." The supply company was correct, it is difficult to harm the unit, you can put vodka, sea water, even toilet water into the unit and it will not break the machine. What we care about is will the vapors, steam, etc. harm our lungs when we breath it in overnight.
Any time "CPAP" is written here, you get tons of folks telling you that you don't need distilled water. But go with whatever your Dr. told you in person
This is the correct answer. I tend to suspect that the people touting the ship's water are really thinking that it is perfectly safe to "drink" at least as safe as the bottled water (not distilled) that they sell on board.

We don't care if the ship water will harm the unit, we care that the water will harm "us." The supply company was correct, it is difficult to harm the unit, you can put vodka, sea water, even toilet water into the unit and it will not break the machine. What we care about is will the vapors, steam, etc. harm our lungs when we breath it in overnight.

I think many folks are thinking of the heated humidifiers, and that normal tap water has minerals that will leave deposits on the element that heats the water. The ships water is believed to be mineral free, therefore not as harmful to the machine. However, I have an article that claims ships add some minerals back to the water after they remove the salt. I find that as hard to believe as I do many experts who are clerks, engineers, math teachers, mechanics etc.... trying to claim this or that about medical appliances and ship procedures. But none the less, the article could be true.

This is the correct answer. I tend to suspect that the people touting the ship's water are really thinking that it is perfectly safe to "drink" at least as safe as the bottled water (not distilled) that they sell on board.

My Dr told me emphatically to use only distilled water, and I use an unheated humidifier. Next time I see him, I'll ask him to elaborate. Until then, I would be stupid to take the advise of strangers over his.

Last Cruise I ran out of distilled water and didn't know where to get more, so I used ship tap water in my humidifier for my CPAP. I wound up with some crystals and small rust spots on the metal of the heating unit. I cleaned it as soon I arrived home and it all dissolved/disappeared luckily. That was on the Legend in 2009.

FWIW.

Archived