luggage size for flying to meet ship

blakey

We will be flying Continental with checked luggage and the maximum is 62 (l+w+h). We have used American Tourister (purchased at Walmart) for our cruises with no problems. (Yep, I'm a penny-pincher.) They measure a little over 62 inches with the wheels. How tight are the airlines regulations? :confused: Do I really need to go buy new luggage? :mad: And, yes, I'll be carrying some duct tape in my carryon for possible mishaps. :D

With checked luggage the weight is probably more important than the exact dimensions.

I would guess that with large luggage that size it WILL be over the weight limit and you'll have to pay extra!!

I get good inexpensive luggage at TJ Maxx.

We have a 29" bag that we always take on Continental. I remember the first time we used it we were concerned, so it must be the same size as your bag.

Make sure you watch the packed weight. They do weigh the bags and there is a 50 pound limit. That bag can easily hold over 50 pounds. The overweight charge is very expensive. On the way home we always try to pack the heavier items in the smaller bag and have something heavy on the top of the larger bag in case we have to move anything. It is easy to weigh when we leave home, someone steps on the scale holding the bag. It is guesswork coming home and I refuse to add more weight by carrying around a luggage scale.

On most of the Continental counters you pick up the suitcase onto a passthrough to have the destination tags put on and picked up by the agent. You can see the weight on the side of the counter. This gives you a heads up to shuffle things if the bag is overweight before the agent gets there.

We like the larger bag because we do not take a garment bag. My husbands tuxedo has only one fold. We also like the convenience of one bag and a carryon each, especially when we travel to Europe and/or do self debarkation. But we carefully choose what we are going to pack, and if it is a longer cruise I will do a wash or send clothes out.

Appreciate the quick responses.

I did check out the cruise air section, but finally settled on this as the better place for answers. Perhaps I'll just post over there too... lol.

The 'weight' issue has been a big concern, but I think I can overcome that one. Besides the normal bath scale at home, I bought a luggage scale we'll be packing for the return trip. (Not sure of weighing facilities onboard the ship.)

I'm just packing 4 changes of clothes each plus wind/rain proof jackets (not coats), plus MDR type stuff, and will do laundry as needed onboard.

First, weight the bag when it is empty.

The weight may shock you!

Walmart got a lot of that luggage when the airlines started charging for baggage and oversize and overweight bags and the retail stores quit selling the larger bags. Some of those bags still have the tags that say 'airline size'.

You are putting yourself at risk of being both overweight and oversize if some airline clerk feels like sticking to the rules.

Do you want that stress?

Okay, y'all are starting to worry me now!!!

So, I decided to weigh everything. Suitcases are almost 15 lbs each, 3 bags of clothes are 6 lbs each, 1 bag of shoes, binocs, toiletries is 9 lbs. I don't have the formal stuff out yet (wrinkles and such) but I'll say 6 lbs for grins. Camera gear, laptop and rx's will be in carryon so no worry there. We SHOULD be able to keep it below 90 lbs total.

And, NO, I don't want the stress! That's why I'm coming to cruise critic and the master gurus of the cruise world.

By the way, thank you.

size is not a problem weight could be

hi we're sailing away, i see you have done quite a few cruises on carnival. we have done more on RCCL. are your perks with carnival, equal or better than those offered by RCCL ??? RCCL takes care of their repeat cruisers. what does carnival offer you ??? RCCL's concierge lounge really makes my cruise...

It costs less to check an extra bag than the overweight charge costs for a too heavy bag. You're better off taking two small bags that weigh under 50 lbs than one that is over. You'd be surprised how fast you get to 50 lbs if the bag itself weighs 15. That bag is too heavy for flying these days, IMO

Okay, y'all are starting to worry me now!!!

So, I decided to weigh everything. Suitcases are almost 15 lbs each, 3 bags of clothes are 6 lbs each, 1 bag of shoes, binocs, toiletries is 9 lbs. I don't have the formal stuff out yet (wrinkles and such) but I'll say 6 lbs for grins. Camera gear, laptop and rx's will be in carryon so no worry there. We SHOULD be able to keep it below 90 lbs total.

And, NO, I don't want the stress! That's why I'm coming to cruise critic and the master gurus of the cruise world.

By the way, thank you.

Your binoculars should also go in your carryon.;)

Keep in mind that the luggage weight is not the aggregate, but per individual bag. A 15 pounds empty suitcase is ridiculously heavy and will probably be overweight. Most are in the 7-8 range, some better brands make super lightweights in the 3-4 pound range that are well made.

My preference is TUMI, but it's pricey and probably not worth the investment for the casual traveler. I'd suggest looking at Travel Pro brand. JC Penney's often has it on sale 50% off and for someone who cruises or travels with it a couple times a year, it will last a lifetime. One overweight fee would cover the price of a new bag.

We have some 21" REVO hardside that are holding up pretty good, very light weight and we got them at a good price, about half of retail.

We are pretty much down to a 21" carryon & personal bag for each of us with me wearing a travel vest for any trip that involves flying.

Just an FYI, the infirmary onboard has a scale. I did use it once because I was worried that our luggage would be overweight on the return trip (t-shirts and other souvenirs can take up a lot of space).

Also as sail7seas mentioned, it costs less to check an extra bag than to pay an overweight charge so we always bring along a (collapsible) duffel bag for extra room on the way home just in case. During the week we use it for our dirty laundry. Makes packing up that last night ( :( ) a little easier too.

After having to pay the $50 fee for an overweight 29" suitcase (in addition to $25 to check it), I finally wised up and now travel with 2 25" bags. I actually get more square inches of packing space with a very diminished risk of going overweight, and when possible I fly SWA, so I don't pay checked bag fees. If I am forced to fly one of the greedy, luggage fee charging airlines, I check one 25" bag and take a 21" carry-on, and still avoid the overweight charge.

Just to be on the safe side, I still bring my travel luggage scale, that only weighs a few ounces, with me, and end up lending it to fellow passengers so they can avoid overweight bag fees too.

A 15 pound suitcase when empty needs to be used for car trips or donated. It was no bargain!

Walmart and the other discounters got those bags cheap (I saw some at Big Lots) for a good reason. They aren't appropriate for modern air travel.

The sad thing is that the bag's original hang tags often say 'airline approved'.

If you are only making one trip a year, consider borrowing luggage from someone or buying rolling duffle bags which can be checked, are cheap and weigh much less.

We have some 21" REVO hardside that are holding up pretty good, very light weight and we got them at a good price, about half of retail.

We are pretty much down to a 21" carryon & personal bag for each of us with me wearing a travel vest for any trip that involves flying.

That is too small a bag for most of us. If we wish to have clean things during the day and dress to requested dress code in the evening, we cannot fit it in 21" bag. Many can manage with a 26" bag..... :o but not me.

For a seven day cruise, DH and I share two 27" duffles and a Lucas soft sided garment bag that holds a ton. That bag seems to never get full no matter how much I keep putting in it and weighs a mere 3-4 pounds empty. Look at ebags.com for luggage Lucas garment bag. Wears like iron and reasonably priced.

Update on my dilemma. Y'all have really made me think.

Had my DH help me weigh the 2 cases...empty and packed. Guess this was a dry run...lol. One came in at almost 35, the other a little over 40. Took the binoculars out (ty sadie) so now they're both under 40. I may have to add rolled up foam to keep stuff from moving around even...lol. So no overweight charges...right? Continental says maximum 50 lbs, 62".

He also helped measure again. One is 61" (length plus width plus height) and the other is 63". That's including the wheels. Which brings me back to the original question, how picky are they about that 1" over? I have one month to get it together. The thought of getting to the airport and being turned away is just soooo frightening.

Geez...driving to the cruise ship is soooooo nice!!! Will never, ever complain again about that...lol.

That is too small a bag for most of us. If we wish to have clean things during the day and dress to requested dress code in the evening, we cannot fit it in 21" bag. Many can manage with a 26" bag..... :o but not me.

I disagree--I travel often for work up to 10 days at a time in a 20" roll aboard, and I often have to bring along a "little black dress" or similar for entertaining customers in the evening. I wash out lightweight tops and lingerie and drip dry.

It all comes down to using common sense and packing versatile items that can be worn several ways. (ie black trousers with a blouse during the day can turn into black trousers and a dressy top in the evening for dinners or receptions.)

Keep in mind that if you plan to acquire some things on your trip and add them to you bag, if you were 50 lbs going .......your suitcase may be more than 50 lbs going home. Leave some reserve weight for coming home....;)

I disagree--I travel often for work up to 10 days at a time in a 20" roll aboard, and I often have to bring along a "little black dress" or similar for entertaining customers in the evening. I wash out lightweight tops and lingerie and drip dry.

It all comes down to using common sense and packing versatile items that can be worn several ways. (ie black trousers with a blouse during the day can turn into black trousers and a dressy top in the evening for dinners or receptions.)

I agree, we wash as we go and packing light is an art, mix and match works for both M&F, I shudder hearing how much luggage some are schlepping around!

:eek:

Just got back from two weeks in china, no checked bags!:D

Archived