Clothing optional

SAEMike

Mike, am I mistaken or are those partitions not closed all the way forward? It looks like there is a flap that is folded back to allow access to the balcony of the room next door. Is that correct?

That is correct. Opening the balconies is simply folding back a flap. We opened ours between our 3 balconies. It's not a very wide opening. I was trying to show the partition at the end of each picture where it is closed.

Beachchick, did you read my comment a few days ago about how the judgemental and myopic people always feel the need to randomly chime in on topics on which they know nothing? TopDeck fits that category. I find it kind of ironic that, going by his early post about surreptitiously checking out, from behind dark sunglasses, the topless deck on the Carnival cruise that he was on (because he HAD to see it for himself), he would come across as now making negative comments about the very people he was ogling. Sounds pretty hypocritical to me.

Good point.

You're attitude that "If kids want to look--they look" is a bit cavalier and risky. IF you can be seen from an adjacent balcony, you should proceed with caution. I'll be traveling with my young child and if we're on our balcony and can easily see you through a gap, I would probably make a report. It will be hard to tell if you're a "naturist" or just creepy. You should be aware of who your neighbors are and how much they can see. You have the whole free-style deck--why push the boundaries.

You really can't easily see through the gaps. On most ships, you would actually have to be actively trying to look at your neighbors. If you or your child are doing that, then you are in the wrong. Trying to make sure your neighbors are clothed by peeking onto their balconies seems pretty creepy to me. BTW, the "whole" Freestyle deck is very small.

I agree, that is then the way it should have been worded and therefore I wouldn't have felt it was "full of it". Sorry I was just going by the actual wording.

I don't agree or disagree with your position on the explanation of children, nor do I really care as my children have far grown past the kiddie stage and have little ones of their own. However yes I did feel you were chastizing that poster (and perhaps it was borne from the threat). But they were just answering your question in your original post complete with an explanation and what they personally would do if they saw someone like you lounging "au naturel". And since they could not read minds to know that that really wasn't what you were trying to ask. In all fairness they were just answering.

As for the threat, if you do offend someone because, as I said, regardless to you being told this is your "private balcony" (and I have read that write up on the NCL site). I wouldn't be a bit surprised, if I were you, to have a knock at your door asking you to refrain because it isn't private in the sense of others viewing only in the fact that the only people that can sit there is whoever you invite to join you. Think about this a resort may have the word "private beach" in their write up but they don't mean you get the pleasure of doing whatever you wish, but that outsiders (not staying at that resort) do not have the privelege of using it.

In answer to your reworded, I have no idea. I personally wouldn't and that has nothing to do with naked=sexual but in turn the word modesty comes to mind. As well clothes are my best friend and they actually make me feel good. As I also said above basically to each their own and I am not about to judge what you wish to do.

It's not at all like a resort with a private beach. The comparison on a ship would be a private beach (owned by the resort) and the pool deck (owned by the cruise line and only for the passengers). A private balcony with closed and opaque partitions is not open to all other guests/passengers. A comparison here would be a private balcony off a resort guestroom and a private balcony attached to a ship cabin. I would have a real problem with that knock on my cabin door if I'm on my private balcony not in general public view and someone next door "reported" me because they or their child intentionally tried to look.

Cabin balconies (with certain exceptions such as the large forward suites) are not open to the rest of the ship. Other passengers have to intentionally attempt to see onto the adjoining/other balconies.

I notice that you and others have mentioned not being nude on a private balcony because of modesty or similar beliefs. No problem, but to then say that you don't judge others who you would deem immodest for doing so is, well, judgmental. That's fine too because we all judge each other--it's human nature. I just think it's important to acknowledge it.

beachchick

Edited by beachchick

If you or your child are doing that, then you are in the wrong.

I couldn't agree more

Trying to make sure your neighbors are clothed by peeking onto their balconies seems pretty creepy to me.

Please!:eek: no one even suggested that. I'm sure that the poster was under the same impression as me, see below.

A private balcony with closed and opaque partitions is not open to all other guests/passengers.

Cabin balconies (with certain exceptions such as the large forward suites) are not open to the rest of the ship.

beachchick

The OP was going on the Epic. I have never been on the Epic and was going by threads in the past week complaining about "open" balconies that everyone could see them on. That was the information that lead me to believe that not all balconies may be "private" in the sense that you would not be seen by your neighbors. However since SDmike was kind enough to post photos, I can see not all Epic balconies fall under that scenerio. Thank you SDmike.

I notice that you and others have mentioned not being nude on a private balcony because of modesty or similar beliefs. No problem, but to then say that you don't judge others who you would deem immodest for doing so is, well, judgmental. That's fine too because we all judge each other--it's human nature. I just think it's important to acknowledge it.

beachchick

Reply deleted, just not worth it!:(

Edited by che5904

That was the information that lead me to believe that not all balconies may be "private" in the sense that you would not be seen by your neighbors. However since SDmike was kind enough to post photos, I can see not all Epic balconies fall under that scenerio.

My rough guess is that there are about 40-50 cabins whose balconies are open to view because they are uncovered. I'm sure the side partitions are the same all over the ship, but a lot of the rooms on deck 8 and some on deck 9 do not have a "roof" over them. I think it would be irresponsible to go natural on those balconies as there is clear view from hundreds of other balconies.

Whether I was dressed or undressed on my balcony, I would not feel relaxed about people watching me while I was out there, and I wouldn't stare at them either. For me its just a common courtesy that we respect the privacy of others. Its the whole personal space thing and we all know where it starts and ends. We're all out on our balconies for similar reasons. We're happy to be where we are at the moment!

If we both happen to be leaning on the railing, yes we'll say hello, or good morning... That's different.

~Cindy

beachchick

I have to disagree....if we are discussing judgment in the form of critical or worthiness/unworthiness then stating ones views and beliefs isn't passing a judgement upon others beliefs or actions. I believe in free agency thus I do not pass judgment upon others for their beliefs and actions. I leave that up to God to do. If someone does something I do not agree with, it's not passing a judgement to tell them I disagree...rather my belief.

Whether I was dressed or undressed on my balcony, I would not feel relaxed about people watching me while I was out there, and I wouldn't stare at them either. For me its just a common courtesy that we respect the privacy of others. Its the whole personal space thing and we all know where it starts and ends. We're all out on our balconies for similar reasons. We're happy to be where we are at the moment!

If we both happen to be leaning on the railing, yes we'll say hello, or good morning... That's different.

~Cindy

I agree with you, Cindy.

Wow. At least on the Pearl, the balcony goes to the edge of the rail. I don't like this kind....doesn't look very private to me in comparison.

A lot of these threads assume that the balconies are truly "private" not just in name but in function. Well, they are. There are no easy to "peek through" gaps where you would inadvertently catch a glimpse of something you didn't want to see. Although the divider does NOT go all the way to the edge, you would have to look around the balcony intentionally. The only exception is the "keyhole" for opening the partition. Again, someone would have to look intentionally. Might not be a bad idea if you hear kids next door to just stuff a piece of paper in there to block it, and even a better idea to stay away from the railing since the dividers don't extend all the way out. The divider comes out to the pole in these pictures, and you can see there's a few inches between the pole and the railing.

Enjoy your time on Epic. It's a great ship

290-vi.jpg

249-vi.jpg

291-vi.jpg

Wow. At least on the Pearl, the balcony goes to the edge of the rail. I don't like this kind....doesn't look very private to me in comparison.[/quote

That pic is showing the dividers partially opened.I f you look down the pic you can see one that is closed all the way. You do have privacy with the closed position.

Sure, if I was sailing on the Pearl.

Mike, while I'm with you entirely on CO being reasonable, I think that if they have defined the Freestyle Sundeck on the Pearl, it's probably only a matter of a very short while until it's propagated throughout the fleet.

Sorry.

• 1 month later...

Mike:

Considering the Epic has some rooms (suites) with showers that have windows out to sea, I think that sets precedence for C.O. on balconies.

We'll be on the same cruise, but several floors above you and perhaps on the other side of the ship:cool:.

I've lived in Chicago (too busy to care), Germany (if you look too long its your problem), Athens-GA (50:50), and now Utah (jail time) regarding C.O. In fact, here in Utah, restaurants with liquor permits have to *hide* their bars from patrons so that they are never aware that someone might actually drink alcohol and enjoy it.

This was an entirely entertaining post!

Brian & Becky

Sailing on Epic 10-16-11

Mike, am I mistaken or are those partitions not closed all the way forward? It looks like there is a flap that is folded back to allow access to the balcony of the room next door. Is that correct?

yes they are open for the staff to clean they open them and wash down the deck i haven't seen them do it on sea days but have when you are in port

It may be your private balcony where you think you can do anything you want anytime you want but there are exceptions.

While in port we (probably hundreds of us) saw a man completely naked on his "private" balcony showing off his assets to the world. :eek:

Even in New Orleans during Mardi Gras, you would be arrested if caught doing this.

There is a time and a place for everything.