Reserved Sunloungers

EssexBarnes

Have just returned from our second trip on the QV and once again superb - Just a shame about the weather!

We chose Grills this time and exactly as on the main decks, for the two sundecks available for Grills, i have never seen so many bags and books sunbathing in my life, despite myself and a couple of other passengers complaining to the the deck attendants and one passenger to the purser.

We are late risers and early in for lunch and we expected the towels on the more comfortable loungers to be removed when those passengers went in for their lunch.

The 30 minute rule (if left unnatended for that period) really needs to be enforced.

On other lines they're called "chair hogs" - people who reserve deck chairs with their stuff for hours at a time but never seem to actually have their bodies in the chairs. Did the Grills Deck attendant just say there was nothing he/she could do? The only alternative is to move aside their belongings yourself. But then one never knows what kind of psychology or physiology one will have to deal with when the angry chair hog returns and is not too happy that his "reserved" chair is now occupied.

Have just returned from our second trip on the QV and once again superb - Just a shame about the weather!

We chose Grills this time and exactly as on the main decks, for the two sundecks available for Grills, i have never seen so many bags and books sunbathing in my life, despite myself and a couple of other passengers complaining to the the deck attendants and one passenger to the purser.

We are late risers and early in for lunch and we expected the towels on the more comfortable loungers to be removed when those passengers went in for their lunch.

The 30 minute rule (if left unnatended for that period) really needs to be enforced.

EssexBarnes,

Superglue? :D

Sounds like the "grill" people think they own the ship. On both of my cruises this year, I never found sun deck chairs to be a problem among the common folk. Perhaps the grill sun area is rather small with limited chairs. I would just dump their stuff if it were me.

This is like someone leaving their clothes in the laundry machines after the cycle is finished. I dump those also.

Sounds like the "grill" people think they own the ship. On both of my cruises this year, I never found sun deck chairs to be a problem among the common folk. Perhaps the grill sun area is rather small with limited chairs. I would just dump their stuff if it were me.

This is like someone leaving their clothes in the laundry machines after the cycle is finished. I dump those also.

StarFlyr,

How does one reserve a deck chair and are they numbered? Only once did someone try to pull that on us, but she was elderly (I mean "Titanic" elderly) so I said nothing. However, I agree. First come first served, a self-served laundry is a self-served laundry. I wish they had chairs located in those launderettes, however, next time I will even have Cunard was my "unmentionables". :)

I haven't found any problem with sun loungers around the pool on QM2. My experience has been that passengers have a nice brief chat by way of introduction with those sitting on either side should they be so inclined...and when one leaves for a dip in the pool, he or she might mention to the person in the adjacent lounger (or to no one in particular: just taking a dip, be back shortly).

But when leaving for an extended period (to have lunch, for example), passengers pick up their "stuff", bid adieu, and go on their merry way.

Salacia

Rower

I also found QM2 passengers sensible regarding loungers HAL ships are fine too. Princess was awful, most loungers reserved by 8am and people even "reserved" them on port days before they went ashore:mad: Could always get a lounger on QM2.

...How does one reserve a deck chair and are they numbered?...

Technically there is no reserving of deck chairs on Cunard ships but that doesn't keep some people from trying. I didn't encounter this on QM2 but the demand will depend on the weather. It seems to be more endemic on the mass market lines that sail in warmer climates.

On QV in June we spent around 3 hours by the Lido pool one afternoon. During that timethe people on the sunbeds in front of us went for their lunch shortly after we arrived, leaving their bags on the beds and never reappeared. The sunbeds beside us were all reserved and in the whole time we were there we never saw the occupants at all. When we were ready to leave there was an elderly couple looking in vain for somewhere to sit (they took over the sunbeds we had been using). One of them was walking with a stick. They mentioned they had been looking for some time for a couple of sunbeds to use. It makes me cross that people are so selfish. It was the same situation nearly every day.

This is the only aspect of the grills that I covet. Other than that, I'm quite happy to be in steerage. Until her last few years, QE2 offered a deck area where you could pay for a reserved chair. It wasn't terribly expensive, and it was worth every penny to know that I could walk out on sundeck, be greeted by name, have a cushion put on MY chair, and then be allowed to sit in peace and quiet. It didn't matter if you were a rower or in the Gods, you were treated well up there.

It strikes me as ironic that the passengers with the largest/best balconies have additional deck space reserved for them, when they don't really need it, and apparently only their books and towels are enjoying the area.

Never had any issues on the Grills deck. In the past, on the rest of the ship, we noticed the seat hogs as well. I've never hesitatated to remove things "holding" a lounger. What I look for..is to see if the lounger was wet from someone swimming or a drink next to it. If not then we'd make ourselves right at home. One time after lying on a lounger, a pax came over(American, like me)& started complaining we were in "their" seats. It had been 45 min. we laid there before they came over. My sharp(some would say snarky) wit chased them off quickly enough.

Archived