Laem Chabang-Bangkok-Laem Chabang Driver

maggie3

Our cruise ship will be in port in Laem Chabang from 9 a.m. on the first day till 5 p.m on the second day. We are thinking that if we are able to book transportation to and from the port, along with a hotel for overnight, the temples we would like to see and the canal cruise pier for a short river cruise should all be within walking distance of each other. We hope to visit Wat Pho, The Grand Palace, The Temple of the Emerald Buddha and Wat Arun on our own. How much should the two of us expect to pay for a car and driver for a return trip, port to Bangkok, back to port the next day? Can previous travelers please recommend a reliable limo service or transportation company?

Thanks for asking this question, Maggie. I too am interested in any advice fellow CCers might have.

We will be on a HAL cruise overnighting at Laem Chabang and I too plan on overnighting in Bangkok. I know that the ship provides return transfers each day, as these are listed with the available ships tours. Has any one ever been able to purchase a ship transfer to Bangkok on day 1, overnight in Bangkok and returning to Laem Chabang on day 2? I am happy to find my own transport, but I do like the security of purchasing the ships own organised transfers.

Cheers:)

ceejay3377 you may want to post your question on the HAL board. I would think that HAL would have a transfer option both ways as most cruise lines do that.

maggie, I did the transfers through our cruise line so I don't have a recommendation on that. Only that on your return give yourself a lot of time to get back to the ship to be sure you are there in plenty of time as traffic in Bangkok can be very congested. Even on a good day it is about a 90 minute drive each way when it is not very congested.

One thing to look at is if the hotel you book at can provide transfers as part of a hotel package.

Keith

There's no train service to Bangkok.

There is a bus service from a couple of miles away, but its fraught with complications and simplest to avoid it.

If you're not planning to use ship's transfers, you need to pre-book a private one-way transfer over the internet. Journey is about 90 mins, but quite variable depending on the traffic, which is notorious. Should cost around 2500 baht one way.

The cars lined up on the pier are all controlled by a cartel, which will screw passengers for as much as they can get. Since cruisers with nothing pre-arranged have no alternative, that's upwards of 4500 baht one way.

But they have no control over cars which have been pre-booked, or those returning passengers to the ship.

For the return to the ship, ask your hotel to arrange a car to pick you up. Since you're planning to book a hotel handy to the sights, simplest to leave your overnite case/s at the hotel & arrange to be picked-up from there. Expect to pay about 1700 baht for the one-way back to the ship. Despite the "about 90 mins" that I quoted, to be safe you need to book the car for at least 2.5 hours & preferably 3 hrs before back-on-board time.

I've told you 3 very different prices. And they're not typos ;)

Despite the cheaper fare from hotel to L/C, you may want to book both ways over the internet if that's what you're comfortable with, & if a 2-way discount is offered. That's up to you.

These prices for up to 3 in a car (regardless of luggage), but of course bigger cars are available.

Hotels in Bangkok are cheap. We stayed at the Sheraton Royal Orchid, by city pier. Smallish room but super view up the busy busy river. River ferries to Wat ?Arun? on the other bank, & up to the Royal Palace, one block from the river) & long-tailed boats & excursion boats all ply from this pier.

Try your own private long-tailed boat ride up the river & through the klongs (canals). One hour is enough, $30 for the boat, mebbe more if there's more than 2 of you. Or an excursion combining a long-tail boat round the klongs & transferring to a converted rice barge, with cold mini-buffet, returning down the river. Or a dinner-cruise - one operated by a hotel (can't remember name, do some googling) located a bridge or two down-river, is pricy but has an exceptional reputation, & they take bookings from non-residents.

Avoid the traffic as much as you can by taking river ferries and (if you think you're brave enough) tuk-tuks. Haggle tuk-tuk price before you board (on average, aim to end up around 2/3rds the asking price) & make it clear you want to go direct - not calling at several of his extended-family's workshops & craft shops.:rolleyes:

All my info/figures from January last year.

Super-interesting city & good value, overniting in a city hotel is absolutely the way to do it. Remember to tell your steward, waiter & any table-companions.

Have a good one.

John Bull :)

Edit: On seeing Keith's post about getting your hotel to pre-book/include a two-way transfer.

Hmmm. Why didn't I think of that. Doh.

Edited by John Bull

Or a dinner-cruise - one operated by a hotel (can't remember name, do some googling) located a bridge or two down-river, is pricy but has an exceptional reputation, & they take bookings from non-residents.

DIRECTLY next door (make a left out the front door of the Sheraton Royal Orchid) is the River City pier. They run 2 or 3 dinner cruises out of there. NOT nearly as pricey as the ones sponsored by the hotels. There is a booking agency inside the River City shopping area (which is VERY good-the elephant "paintings" and the batik wall hangings are very nice and inexpensive). There is also a booking agency on the first floor of the Sheraton off to the right as you walk into the dining area.

Here's an old thread where I point out all the dinner cruises and the differences.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1048499&highlight=bangkok+dinner+cruise

Avoid the traffic as much as you can by taking river ferries and (if you think you're brave enough) tuk-tuks. Haggle tuk-tuk price before you board (on average, aim to end up around 2/3rds the asking price) & make it clear you want to go direct - not calling at several of his extended-family's workshops & craft shops.:rolleyes:

There is also an excellent train system to get you to the market (it is HUGE) which you can board just south of the Oriental hotel (across the river from the Peninsula which is my favorite hotel in all of Bangkok.

we will be doing a Princess cruise and we will DISembark at Laem Chabang( docks 4am) and we need to transfer to a hotel near Bangkok airport for one night

I rang Princess thinking it would be easier to do a transfer and 1 nt post hotel with them, but they only do a post 3 day hotel/tour.(we don't have the time for longer or we would have done that for simplicity)

Our cruise is not until November NEXT yr, but Princess can't let me know if we can do a transfer from ship to an Airport hotel fpr 1 nt only for another 8 mths!...by then I imagine lots will be already booked and they will be sold out..

ANY suggestions who to use to transfer from Laem Chabang port to near the Airport??

Edited by jannandjohn

we will be doing a Princess cruise and we will DISembark at Laem Chabang( docks 4am) and we need to transfer to a hotel near Bangkok airport for one night

Our cruise is not until November NEXT yr, but Princess can't let me know if we can do a transfer from ship to an Airport hotel fpr 1 nt only for another 8 mths!...by then I imagine lots will be already booked and they will be sold out..

ANY suggestions who to use to transfer from Laem Chabang port to near the Airport??

Why the panic???????????.:confused:

If the arrangements for November next year that Princess tell you about in March next year don't suit you, consider your options then.

After giving it consideration for a month.

Or six. ;)

All you need is a transfer car and an airport hotel for one night. Something plenty of business travellers can't fix in advance cos they won't even know their movements more than a week ahead.

If you were prepared to pay the taxi cartel's prices, you could just pick up a car at the pier. Airport is north of Bangkok, so a litte further from Laem Chabang.

And unless there's some major event (ash clouds or whatever) which massively disrupts flights, you could just breeze into a number of airport hotels & get a room for the night.

Not suggesting you do that.

But you sure don't need to worry now.

I don't know your flight time, but perhaps a city hotel would be a better bet, giving you time to explore the place. I sure wouldn't want to be cooped-up in an airport hotel for 24hoursplus. :eek:

JB :)

BTW, Greatam. There's one hotel in particular that has a tremendous reputation for its dinner-cruises. We took a cheapie, it was OK but not special & at Bangkok's prices I wished I'd not been such a miser.

But yes, I completely overlooked the city's skytrain system. Two vacations in Bangkok & never used it, having too many laughs on boats & tuk-tuks

Edited by John Bull

Why the panic???????????.:confused:

no panic intended

All you need is a transfer car

and that's all I was asking..if anyone could suggest one . that they may have used. ..I know which hotel etc we want to stay at, that is of no concern..I thought the International airport was a looooooong way from the port..so didn't want to rely on a local cab/transfer to be just sitting around...a Princess transfer would have just been a simple plan..

Edited by jannandjohn

John, thank you for your estimate of the costs and Keith, thank you for the idea of arranging transport through the hotel. I have written to the hotel we have in mind, to ask if they can arrange such a transfer and I am awaiting their reply. I would hope, though, to obtain some contact info for taxi/limo companies in case it ends up that we do need to arrange our own transfers, as we would definitely want to do so in advance of our trip. So I will be grateful if previous Bangkok travelers can please advise. Keeping options open at this point!

no panic intended

and that's all I was asking..if anyone could suggest one . that they may have used. ..I know which hotel etc we want to stay at, that is of no concern..I thought the International airport was a looooooong way from the port..so didn't want to rely on a local cab/transfer to be just sitting around...a Princess transfer would have just been a simple plan..

Hi Jannandjohn,

You'll have read my response to the OP.

You see, there's a very good reason why I know about dealing with the Laem Chabang cartel :o

I got a couple of quotes over the 'net, can't remember who, but at least one was suggested on this site.

Nobody mentioned the cartel or the rip-off prices at the pier.

And being a remarkably naive & tight-fisted optimist, I decided I could do better by bartering at the pier.

As I have done very successfully elsewhere in indo-china. :)

Ooops. Wrong move for this port.:rolleyes:

Win some, lose some.

Hence the advice, but not backed-up by names.

But hopefully others can oblige, esp if you post again after hearing back from Princess

Have a good one

BTW, Greatam. There's one hotel in particular that has a tremendous reputation for its dinner-cruises. We took a cheapie, it was OK but not special & at Bangkok's prices I wished I'd not been such a miser.

But yes, I completely overlooked the city's skytrain system. Two vacations in Bangkok & never used it, having too many laughs on boats & tuk-tuks

JB,

If I don't want to be a tight fisted ... (next year in May) what is the name of the hotel that has a great reputation for it's dinner cruises?

We are in Laem Chabang (we are planning to stay over night in Bangkok) from 14:00 til 18:00, from your vast experience there is River Kwai and Feeding the Tigers do able? If not what do you think is the best?

Have you done the Bangkok show "Siam Niramit".

Thanks

Ron

The Shangri-La cruise was sit down dinner. It is now buffet. This cruise is on the Horizon boat and offered by both the Shangri-La hotel and the Pen. It can also be booked by most any booking agency in Bangkok.

The Manora or the Maeyanang (exclusive to the Mandarin Oriental) cruises are on rice barges. The dining experience is better than the Grand Pearl (open top, upscale cruiser) but you can't see very much. Like being on a cruise ship and having to pick starboard or port. Both rice barges are sit down dinners, not buffet. The Mandarin boat is now only available for Mandarin guests according to their website. Here is booking info for two of the publicly available rice barges. The difference in price between the Grand Pearl and the publicly available rice barges is 1000 baht (about $30pp). The difference in price between the Grand Pearl and the Shangri-la is about 2000 baht.

http://www.loynava.com/

http://www.thairivercruise.com/index.php?tpid=0074

I have done the Grand Pearl, Shangri-La, Chao Phraya and the Manohra. The Shangri-La was sit down dinner when I did it. It was a good experience. I certainly wouldn't pay the difference now for buffet.

Chao Phraya was too noisy, too cheap and not much of an experience-more like a 20-30 something booze cruise and not a quiet peaceful dinner cruising the river. The rice barge I didn't like at all even though it was a free business dinner.

JB,

If I don't want to be a tight fisted ... (next year in May) what is the name of the hotel that has a great reputation for it's dinner cruises?

We are in Laem Chabang (we are planning to stay over night in Bangkok) from 14:00 til 18:00, from your vast experience there is River Kwai and Feeding the Tigers do able? If not what do you think is the best?

Have you done the Bangkok show "Siam Niramit".

Thanks

Ron

Hi Ron,

My "vast experience" of Bangkok is just two visits :rolleyes:

One a land-trip, the other just a two-day cruise call.

Pretty certain from the standard & location of the Mandarin Oriental & the type of vessel, that theirs is the highly-lauded dinner-cruise. I'm going back mebbe 8 years, it didn't fit our other plans last-time-round, and Greatam's response that its no longer available for non-residents is hot-off-the-press. Though there's no reason you can't ask them.

The Shangri-La hotel is in the same location, but their vessel is a sleek modern luxury cruiser - doubtless excellent, but not what I'd travel to Bangkok to experience.

While hunting for clues to which hotel, I came across this vid - nothing to do with dinner-cruises, but a good little piece showing the diversity on the river. Shame the poster didn't venture into the klongs, but you can hunt the U-tube options on the link.

The long drive to the River Kwai wasn't highly rated by those who went on the trip from Bangkok.

I know nothing about the tigers, but there's plenty of threads on the subject from searching "Bangkok tiger" on this forum. And it sounds more promising.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=23236139

Not a lot of help, I know.

But the best I can do

I just want to mention a couple of items for those of you visiting Bangkok for the very first time.

First, be careful of any strangers (particularly men in ties and jackets) who come up to you if you are walking around the city to offer assistance. We were warned about this and it happened to us not once but twice within a few hours. In some cases they will try to ask you some questions to figure out what hotel you are staying at. This might include the name of the hotel and your name so that they can break into your room. They might also try to get you to go with them. Just be alert.

The other item is I do not recommend taking tuk-tuks. Often they will not take you to where you want to go. They will take you to another area where another tuk tuk is only for that tuk tuk to take you to another area. It's all about getting your money.

Bangkok was wonderful but like many cities there are the nice people and those who try to take advantage of people. They clearly have both types in this city.

I would stay at a nice hotel off the river. One option is to see if they have an outside restaurant that backs to the river. My wife and I had dinner at one of those at our hotel and we sat there for over three hours. We enjoyed watching the boats ride the river and enjoyed the setting in the sun, the sun set and then when it became dark. It was just a lovely evening.

Keith

The other item is I do not recommend taking tuk-tuks. Often they will not take you to where you want to go. They will take you to another area where another tuk tuk is only for that tuk tuk to take you to another area. It's all about getting your money.

Keith

Different folks, different experiences, Keith.

Never had a problem with tuk-tuks anywhere in SE Asia.:)

Other than wanting to take me via places that give them commission, second-cousin's jewellery workshop etc :rolleyes: - and a polite but firm "direct, no stops" has always done the job for me. If the driver won't negotiate a direct price, I just walk away & get another one.

Like you, I avoid talking to any stranger who approaches me.

Anywhere.

Including UK & US.

Shame, cos that has probably included some decent people with genuine motives. But most of them will be looking either to sell to me or to stiff me.

We will be stopping at laem Chabang Port next Feb.

Since we recently spent a week in Bangkok, we are only looking for a day tour to Pattaya area and to Jomtien Beach.

I found one tour company which does it from 8am to 5pm .

Tour company is Bangkok day tours...has anyone ever used them? Are they reliable?

Their prices quoted in Thai Baht are:

2 people=13350-$450.00 USD= PP=$225.00

4 people=16850-$567.00 USD= PP=$142.00

6 people=20400-$687.00 USD= PP=$115.00

This is what I have so far....Any information will be appreciated. Our ship has a private car and driver but at over $600.00 and not sure if this is per car or per person.

Since we recently spent a week in Bangkok, we are only looking for a day tour to Pattaya area and to Jomtien Beach.

Tour company is Bangkok day tours...has anyone ever used them? Are they reliable?

This is what I have so far....Any information will be appreciated. Our ship has a private car and driver but at over $600.00 and not sure if this is per car or per person.

:confused:

I'm guessing this is for a lot more than just transport.

It's about $5 pp each way by taxi, a journey of only 20 - 25 minutes.

We used Bangkok day tours for 2 days in Bangkok from Klong Toey in January. (6 people) They were quite reliable. Waiting at the dock, good driver, nice Van and good guides. Surely the 600 for a private car is for the car!!!

• 4 years later...
Thanks for asking this question, Maggie. I too am interested in any advice fellow CCers might have.

We will be on a HAL cruise overnighting at Laem Chabang and I too plan on overnighting in Bangkok. I know that the ship provides return transfers each day, as these are listed with the available ships tours. Has any one ever been able to purchase a ship transfer to Bangkok on day 1, overnight in Bangkok and returning to Laem Chabang on day 2? I am happy to find my own transport, but I do like the security of purchasing the ships own organised transfers.

Cheers:)

Do you need this for Jan 22nd? We want to do it too

Our family group of 8 seniors and 2 adults just completed the 10 nights' RCCL Legend of the Seas cruise. In Laem Chabang, we pre booked a 2 day tour with Tourwithtong. We opted for an overnight stay at the Navalai River Resort. Perhaps you can organize a group of 8 in your roll call because Tong owns a few 9 seater VIP vans. Tong had to hire a 12 seater van for us and the seats are okay only for petite size Asians (which we are). We were so lucky to get Lily as our tour guide. She spoke excellent English and is very animated and knowledgeable.

Day 1- Ayutthaya with a visit at Bang Pa In summer palace and 3 temples. We also visited the public market and munched on snacks and fruit juice for lunch and left Ayutthaya at 3 pm for BKK to catch the Chao Phrya River cruise. We got to BKK at 4:50 pm and we were lucky that the canal gate was still open for us otherwise the long tail boat will cruise along the big canals instead of the smaller canals where you get a close up look of the communities. By the time we were returning back, the gate to enter/exit the smaller canals were closed and we waited 15 minutes before it reopened to let other long tail boats in /out of the small canals. We had a night view of the temples and the Grand Palace on our way to Navalai which has a private dock. Wonderful Lily also took the time to take us to a laundromat, and also walked us to Koh San Road for best eateries and massage.

Day 2 - Floating Market and Grand palace. We left at 630 am and we were one of the first group of tourists. We ate coconut pancakes, mango sticky rice and other munchies for breakfast, shopped for souvenirs and left at about 10 am for the Grand Palace tour. We were going to check out Chinatown but traffic was bad so we left BKK at 130 pm, stopped at a 7-11 store for a Thai burger and fruit drinks. 30 minutes away from the dock, we stopped at a goldsmith to buy gold jewelry (cash only, no credit card).

The price for our group of 10 was approx. 33,500 THB for the 2 day tour. This is a quick paced tour and may not suit everyone who would prefer a slower paced tour. 6000 THB net non-refundable deposit was required which we paid by PayPal.

We too are on the same cruise as you, wanting to simply take transportation into the city, see sights on our own, In particular the Wwekend Market, spending the night, then returning the next day to the ship. How much is the transportation offered by Holland America? Does anyone else know an alternate way to get into Bangkok?