Weather on Trans Atlantic Nov. 28 ..Solstice

Xtchr

This will be our first trans-Atlantic cruise, from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale-13 days. What can we expect re weather, temps,etc.? Do we need a lot of warm clothes for those 6 days at sea crossing the Atlantic? Wife is worried about rough seas. Have any of you experienced this crossing? We don't usually get seasick,but have never does this type of cruise before. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've been on 2 Novemeber crossings and I have another scheduled this year. As you know weather can be like investing: Past performance doesn't guarantee future results. Both my crossings were smooth and while I can have motion problems, I didn't experience any on the crossings. You will be taking a Southern route so you should have realitively warm weather. Weather and seas can sometimes get rough as you approach Ponta Delgada, one time we were unable to dock. You will get more sun if you are on the port side (left).

Hope the weather and seas are as they were in the past two years so we can both have a great crossing.

kentiki ~ we are doing the Equinox TA the same time you'll be on Solstice. We've done one TA previously about five years ago. It was wonderful. As Orator mentioned, what you have on one TA weatherwise can be very different from another.

I plan for layering and then I'm usually covered. T-shirt or short sleeve blouse, sweater or sweatshirt, lightweight jacket. That did it for me for our first trip and most of the time I didn't need the jacket at all. Our sea days for the crossing were warm and smooth. I had shorts on most days.

Both these cruises are doing southern crossings so there's a good chance our weather will be good. Certainly nothing like the cold you can experience on an Alaskan cruise. I haven't given much thought to packing but I can see several short sleeve shirts, a couple of sweaters and my new Scottevest. That should serve me well.

Like Anne, we'll also be traveling at the same time on the Equinox. As you've heard, no one can predict the weather for sure but most likely, the further south we go, the smoother it will get. Last year we were on the Eclipse out of Southampton - now that was a rocky ride down the west coast of Europe! But, once we were past Ponta Delgada it was much smoother. Personally, I want to feel a little motion so I know I'm out in the open ocean. One of the advantages to cruising over a land vacation is that if there is some severe weather ahead, they can sail around the worst of it.

Archived