1st Time Cruiser with MDR Attire for my DW

cocheese

We are first time cruisers and getting ready to go on the SKY next month and we are a little confused about the wording of the Dress for women in the MDR's. We have read NCL's standard dress code, but are confused as to if Flip flops are only prohibited for men.

Mainly my DW is wanting to know if she can wear flip flops, and also are capri pants allowed.

Thank You.

We are first time cruisers and getting ready to go on the SKY next month and we are a little confused about the wording of the Dress for women in the MDR's. We have read NCL's standard dress code, but are confused as to if Flip flops are only prohibited for men.

Mainly my DW is wanting to know if she can wear flip flops, and also are capri pants allowed.

Thank You.

Freestyle is whatever you want to wear within reason. A dress shirt and slacks and female equivalent is good in both MDR's. Here is a picture of people in the MDR on the Pearl. I was on the Sky but don't have photo that illustrate very well.

DSCF2066-1.jpg

Thank You.

she can wear flip flops...the flip flop thong styles are different these days and very much in style..

i wear them pretty much every night of the week flip flop/thong style--dressy to casual.

you will see so many of the women wearing these styles they are perfectly acceptable.

absolutely she can wear capris any night of the week--even on Dress Up or Not nights...its HER CHOICE!! FREESTYLE!!!!

check out the many threads on the Dress in the MDRs to see what others wear ...its CRUISE CASUAL EVERY NIGHT OF THE WEEK.

Flip Flops not allowed i think it is more of the men wearing-because they would stand out...rarely do i see men in flip flops in the MDR-rarely.

OP personally I couldn't care if your DW glued shoe soles on her feet as I don't watch what other people wear or don't wear, nor does it affect my cruise any.

But as for policy, the men part in that sentence is in regards to the "tank tops", the rest of the sentence is for both (although not overly grammatically correct), the same as the jeans with holes in the sentence. So if you are looking for policy...no flip flops.

Will anyone stop her from going in if she has flip flops on? No probably not for a couple of reasons. The first one is NCL is not overly famous, unless breaking a serious policy, to inforce a rule to adults who shouldn't need someone looking over their shoulder. The second reason is at the MDRs the hostess stands behind a high desk and can't see her feet let alone her flip flops unless she leans over the desk or walks around.

Personally I think the actual rule is comical since men have to wear closed toed shoes and women don't, bare toes are bare toes as far as I'm concerned, as well you aren't to wear shorts (even knee length ones) and yet women are allowed to wear skirts up to (well let's just say I hope they don't bend over). But since I don't own the company I don't make the rules.

Just wanted you to know what the policy actually was so your DW could choose on her own whether to follow it or not.

Shorts and flip flops are allowed. The Sky is the most casual of all NCL ships. Even before they changed the dress code to allow jeans in Cagneys, I would see jeans and T Shirts in Cagneys (Sky). Other ships that used to not be allowed.

NCL more free style than ever.

Sorry. I either lost part of a message or only part will post so here's the idea.... ON flip-flops: No 'shower thong' rubbery icky type. I've worn multiple different pretty leather usually bright colored 'sandals' including some that are flip flop shaped especially in tropical spots. As long as you look neat and 'pulled together' you'll be fine....dressier capris are fine. I just wouldn't show up with gym or pilates capris and a work out top. A pair of black or white or printed or whatever with a pretty top is perfect.

Thank You.

she can wear just about anything as long as it is decent. NO, swim suits in the MDRs, shorts< iffy, but I wouldn't push it. Otherwise, she can wear capris, sun dresses, flip flops, sandles, whatever she is comfortable in.

Nita

from the Freestyle Daily

CRUISE CASUAL:

khakis, jeans, shorts, casual shirts for men (no tank tops).

Ladies: casual dresses, skirts, pants & tops, summer dresses, capris, shorts and jeans.

SMART CASUAL: (larger MDR/Le Bistro) collared shirts pants and nice jeans with closed toed shoes for men;

slacks or jeans, skirts & tops, dresses for women.

personally have seen shorts in both the larger MDR and Le Bistro on the STAR and the SUN--it will vary from ship to ship sailing to sailing

no mention of flip-flops at all.

i have been wearing flip-flop all styles since i started cruising with NCL (sometimes its the only kind i can wear after long port days and have eaten in both MDRs no problem)

and for men...are "dressy" shorts allowed in the NCL Spirit dining areas or always long pants?

I think you will find that dressy shorts will be allowed in one of the MDR's. Just check out your first freestyle daily when you first board the ship to see which one will allow shorts.

I think you will find that dressy shorts will be allowed in one of the MDR's. Just check out your first freestyle daily when you first board the ship to see which one will allow shorts.

I just returned from the Spirit and I can tell you I was shocked at how strict they were with the dress code in the MDR (Windows). There was a female crew member stationed at the bottom of the stairs checking passengers' dress. We often met friends for dinner and would wait outside the dining room so had many opportunities to see her turn away MANY passengers. The main no-no was shorts - absolutely no one was allowed to enter wearing shorts - even women with very nice bermuda shorts to their knees and accompanied with heels - they were turned away and could eat at Gardens or elsewhere or could change. One older man was furious, had an important looking uniformed man called who did not back down, and made a fool of himself basically. By the way, he will never cruise NCL again (yes, I heard that about 10 times during his rant so I am sure!). As for flip flops, if they were they fancy kind, they were allowed.

Just a word of warning. . .

I just returned from the Spirit and I can tell you I was shocked at how strict they were with the dress code in the MDR (Windows). There was a female crew member stationed at the bottom of the stairs checking passengers' dress. We often met friends for dinner and would wait outside the dining room so had many opportunities to see her turn away MANY passengers. The main no-no was shorts - absolutely no one was allowed to enter wearing shorts - even women with very nice bermuda shorts to their knees and accompanied with heels - they were turned away and could eat at Gardens or elsewhere or could change. One older man was furious, had an important looking uniformed man called who did not back down, and made a fool of himself basically. By the way, he will never cruise NCL again (yes, I heard that about 10 times during his rant so I am sure!). As for flip flops, if they were they fancy kind, they were allowed.

Just a word of warning. . .

Did you ever try the other MDR on the ship? On the Sun shorts were turned away from one of the MDR's but allowed in the other.

Archived