First time with P&O..Disappointment

Peaches10

Nothing to do with my attitude that we had bad service in the dinning room, our wine waiter was fine and happy to pass the time of day with his guests. The dinning room staff on the whole were not happy bunnies and appeared to be going through the motions.

On the cruise after ours I believe they held some sort of protest on the quay side.

others, well you know as soon as they walk in, it's going to be difficult. Some you can have a lovely conversation with, others treat you like dirt.

seems to me like you have met at least one person who is posting on this forum Jean;)

Don't give your opinions, or offer alternative suggestions to these people because they are right and you are wrong!

A predilection to negativity is what makes for bitter people, and I just hope they won't be sitting on our table on Ventura next month, which I know will be a superb experience.

I am not having a personal attack at you, see that's the problem with people like yourself because you love P&O it's beyond criticism.

WAKE UP!

Peaches, you have no idea of my cruising history. It involves more than P&O though that has been the line that we have spent most time on, BUT, when they fall short I would be the first to castigate them.

The service on Arcadia in the MDR in the evening was fine although the waiters never once addressed by name, we were only every greeted with a smile no response to hello, good evening or any other pleasantries. The wine waiter was a bit hit and miss and twice vanished completely during dinner.

Breakfast in particular was bad it seemed the waiters would prefer you to eat somewhere else. One morning the waiter announced to the table full English and toast, when we all said no the face he pulled was unbelievable, I'm still waiting on my tea and croissants. Spoke to the head waiter on the way out and was told a real cock and bull story.

When on other lines the staff and crew always greet you when passing not on Arcadia they often looked the other way, they were a real miserable bunch. The only friendly people who we came across on the ship were the spa staff, who always greeted you no matter where you were on the ship you met them

We are always addressed by name in the MDR, even on Arcadia which is not our favourite ship in the fleet, and it is in the best interests of the spa staff to be pleasant, they charge mega bucks for inferior treatments.

Of course we complained on board, we had a phone call to discuss the matter, oh and another thing we ordered room service and the guy knocked once then let himself in! Unbelievable, another complaint.

We always order room service breakfast and OUR biggest complaint is that in times past they used to knock once and enter once you have said, come in. Now you have to get out of bed to let them in. I am on holiday. If I order room service, a knock and enter is what I expect, either on a ship or in an hotel.

Now I know why it has changed, some people complaining because they do not understand the concept of room service.

I think some people are going off the issue in hand, I had extremely poor service on the Oceana, it had nothing to do with my attitude, I treat people with the same respect as I would expect from others so your theory is wrong, some people on this forum take it as a personal insult to criticise P&O WHY??

Once again.................what did you consider less than acceptable service?

Having been in management in the Hotel Industry, you can tell when somebody first attends reception to check in, they are going to be trouble. The same way as when you read peoples posts, there is something about the way some people write, you immediately think, would not like to get on the wrong side of you.

Cannot remember poor service on any cruise line we have sailed with, including P&O, RCI and Thomsons. I always find a smile works wonders, when asking for something, or thanking somebody.

When we were on Ventura in Oct 2008, we had Freedom dining and a table for two, eleven of the fourteen nights, and had excellent service. When we attended the Azura naming in April 2010. My wife was walking across the MDR floor, and this waiter came up and said hello Mrs......, gave her a hug and a kiss, and then came to our table to say hello to me. It was the waiter we had on Ventura 18 months previous, he not only remembered us, but also our names.

Probably because when we were on Ventura, we took an interest in him, did not treat him as though he was beneath us, and we always said hello with a smile, when we saw him working the buffet area or anywhere else during the day. He always stopped to have a chat.

We have also sailed on Oceana, again we had Freedom dining, this time mainly a table for eight, and again could not fault the service.:);)

Delboy, our experience with P&O is exactly the same as yours. We have always had Club Dining and after a couple of nights the waiters have always called us by our surnames. We have had 9 P&O cruises now and have never encountered anything but good, sometimes excellent service and like you have had a waiter come over to us saying he remembered us from a previous cruise we had on Arcadia (we were on Oceana at the time). I agree you can sometimes see those people who are determined to be disappointed. We once came across a couple of women who were making lists of things that were wrong and they were having a competition to see who could get the most compensation. I was horrified - and the husband of one was a solicitor!

Only once has one small thing gone wrong on a P&O cruise - nothing to do with the service - and it was rectified to our satisfaction on the same day. It certainly did not spoil what was an excellent cruise.

Carole:)

We always order room service breakfast and OUR biggest complaint is that in times past they used to knock once and enter once you have said, come in. Now you have to get out of bed to let them in. I am on holiday. If I order room service, a knock and enter is what I expect, either on a ship or in an hotel.

Now I know why it has changed, some people complaining because they do not understand the concept of room service.

Merlin, I would be mortified if someone knocked and came in. I need to at least be presentable, more for their sake than mine :o.

Never had any room service staff walk in on us ever, on any of our travels, either cruises or hotels. I would be very upset if that happened.

Merlin, I would be mortified if someone knocked and came in. I need to at least be presentable, more for their sake than mine :o.

Never had any room service staff walk in on us ever, on any of our travels, either cruises or hotels. I would be very upset if that happened.

I also like the knock and enter aspect of room service - though I must admit we have usually had this. If you have to get up to answer the door, it kind of defeats the object.

If I didn't want this, I would leave the "Resting" sign outside.

I must be doing something right then as I would say 99 times out of 100 I have been treated very well by serving staff wherever I've been.

They have even looked out for me, informed me when the wine I'm drinking is about to run out, put aside a favourite meal for me when it's nearly all gone.

Too many things to remember - again I do think it's down to how you treat people.

We use room service in every establishment we reside. We FULLY understand the concept. In your statement above you say ".......knock once and enter once you have said, come in....." Precisely my point - I WILL CHOOSE WHO I ALLOW TO ENTER MY ROOM. Our room service knocked and immediately walked in. Not acceptable, full stop. Even if i LOVE P&O, which you clearly do, I and any other person who expects correct service, will not accept staff entering their room uninvited.

We use room service in every establishment we reside. We FULLY understand the concept. In your statement above you say ".......knock once and enter once you have said, come in....." Precisely my point - I WILL CHOOSE WHO I ALLOW TO ENTER MY ROOM. Our room service knocked and immediately walked in. Not acceptable, full stop. Even if i LOVE P&O, which you clearly do, I and any other person who expects correct service, will not accept staff entering their room uninvited.

I'm quite new here and really don't want to cause upset but...... it seems that if posters don't agree with you, you accuse them of 'loving P & O' it may well be that they just don't agree with you.

I don't agree with several of your comment and this will be my first cruise with P & O, so what's my deal? :confused:

Well said. If someone knocks on the door with the room service items you have obviously ordered, you are hardly going to be inflagrante delecto. You are waiting for the items to be delivered, therefore you are expecting the room service.

Jean

Goodness me, this forum seems full of people who a) accept poor service b) think anyone who doesn't accept poor service must be arrogant and/or rude and c) have no idea what ROOM SERVICE means.

NEVER have we treated anyone in the service industry with rudeness BUT if they are poor at their job then we will not tolerate it. The British service industry is so poor because there are people like yourselves who think it's acceptable and think that those of us who do not accept this rudeness must be nasty, miserable and ignorant people. We, naturally disagree. You don't know us and so cannot judge us. We are merely letting people know of certain areas of disappointment on our latest cruise. This, we believe improves standards. Never mind, we will not contribute again, so adios all and enjoy life.

Goodness me, this forum seems full of people who a) accept poor service b) think anyone who doesn't accept poor service must be arrogant and/or rude and c) have no idea what ROOM SERVICE means.

NEVER have we treated anyone in the service industry with rudeness BUT if they are poor at their job then we will not tolerate it. The British service industry is so poor because there are people like yourselves who think it's acceptable and think that those of us who do not accept this rudeness must be nasty, miserable and ignorant people. We, naturally disagree. You don't know us and so cannot judge us. We are merely letting people know of certain areas of disappointment on our latest cruise. This, we believe improves standards. Never mind, we will not contribute again, so adios all and enjoy life.

But this is exactly what you've done in this post! :confused:

Why do you assume that you are right in believing that if someone knocks once and comes in that is poor service, some people want that from room service, who is to say YOU are right?

I certainly DON'T accept poor service and would complain accordingly if I felt I was getting poor service - where in this thread does anyone say they tolerate poor service?

Finally you have your idea of what room service means to YOU others have their own idea of what room service means the THEM.

I find this post extremely judgemental.

In you opinion you have posted incidents where you believe you received poor service, others have disagreed, this is a forum, it will always be that way.

I love forums it's great to read other people's point of view.

It doesn't mean you are right and they are wrong, it just means that you have a different view than others.

We are all different and I love it!

You don't know us and so cannot judge us.

Hmm, seems to me that you need to practice what you love preaching.....

The British service industry is so poor because there are people like yourselves who think it's acceptable.

your theory is wrong

that's the problem with people like yourself because you love P&O it's beyond criticism.

WAKE UP!

Unbelievable

Not acceptable, full stop. Even if i LOVE P&O, which you clearly do

some people on this forum take it as a personal insult to criticise P&O

'nuff said? no hard feelings, and you will of course disagree with me, but the quotes speak for themselves

An experience I had when working in Hotel Management, of a complaint from a guest of somebody playing very loud music in there room.

I paid a visit and asked the guest, if they would mind turning the sound down, as it was disturbing other guests. This they did, but as I got half way up the corridor, I heard the sound go up again.

I returned to the room and heard the lady inside say to the gentleman not to open the door, so I used my pass key and let myself in, only to be confronted with a stark naked gentleman, don't know who was more surprised me or him.

Next morning, I understand the young couple came down, and he had a ghetto blaster on his shoulder, they were also confronted by the deputy general manager, who had strong words with them. This was a 4* 194 bedroom hotel.:);)

Back to the problems with service, I do think a lot of it is how you treat people, as I say I often find a smile works wonders. Some people cannot help, but be confrontational.:(

We recently sailed on Oriana - Brisbane to Southampton and returned home on Arcadia (6 weeks both ways)

We thought that the waiter service was very good - and on Arcadia, the table service and cabin service was so good that I amazed myself in the tipping Department!! (perhaps I was just in a good mood after a wonderful "Round the World" cruise?? Or maybe I just enjoyed the snow in England over Christmas??)

Somebody mentioned "Fat ducks" elsewhere in this thread - I can report that on both Oriana and Arcadia, in warmer climes, I did see quite a number of beached whales on the upper decks. They must have been washed onboard overnight - somewhat like flying fish are??

Ladies and gentlemen - there are just some things that should not be revealed in the daylight!!

Barry

We recently sailed on Oriana - Brisbane to Southampton and returned home on Arcadia (6 weeks both ways)

We thought that the waiter service was very good - and on Arcadia, the table service and cabin service was so good that I amazed myself in the tipping Department!! (perhaps I was just in a good mood after a wonderful "Round the World" cruise?? Or maybe I just enjoyed the snow in England over Christmas??)

Somebody mentioned "Fat ducks" elsewhere in this thread - I can report that on both Oriana and Arcadia, in warmer climes, I did see quite a number of beached whales on the upper decks. They must have been washed onboard overnight - somewhat like flying fish are??

Ladies and gentlemen - there are just some things that should not be revealed in the daylight!!

Barry

I'm not sure what this post is about - I have a feeling it's being a little insulting :confused:

Maybe the poster would like to explain?

Archived