First time with P&O..Disappointment

Peaches10

Just recalling a conversation with our waiters last year on Azura when we were discussing when their contract was finished and what they would do after that. They had said they’d re-apply but hoped they would not get put on either Artemis or Arcadia. The wine waiter also said he wouldn’t like to work on Arcadia.

The staff maybe just don’t like this ship as much? They never said why though?

Funny - most crew seemed to dread being put on Artemis until they tried it and then she worked her magic and they all loved her. Unless of course he didn't want an adult-only ship as those two were/are.

I have only had abysmal service once, when every order was mixed up, he didn't listen and was generally away with the fairies. I mentioned it on the post-cruise questionaire three days before the end of the cruise, got an immediate apology from the F&B manager and for the rest of the cruise we had the wonderful under waiter (who had been really struggling to try and cope with his boss) assisted by the head waiter. I thought it was not only an excellent solution for us passengers, but gave credit to the under waiter into the bargain.

A question for all the complainers. Did you complain to anyone onboard ship regarding poor service etc If you did, was anything done about it? If you didn't complain on the ship, why wait to bring it up here? No attack on anyone, but it does seem strange that people will complain on a forum, but do nothing when they really have the chance to

Yes, we have complained. We spoke with the Maitre D on Ventura last cruise after we had waited 45 mins for the soup dishes to be removed. We were then served by the Head Waiter and not placed within the same waiters area for the rest of the cruise.

Ive constructively criticised freedom dining service on all three P&O cruises cruise questionaires. If everyone that was unhappy did the same maybe something would be done.

A question for all the complainers. Did you complain to anyone onboard ship regarding poor service etc If you did, was anything done about it? If you didn't complain on the ship, why wait to bring it up here? No attack on anyone, but it does seem strange that people will complain on a forum, but do nothing when they really have the chance to

Of course we complained on board, we had a phone call to discuss the matter, oh and another thing we ordered room service and the guy knocked once then let himself in! Unbelievable, another complaint.

I have to admit I do get frustrated when people complain on a forum about service but never complain at the time.

I use another holiday forum and the tipping curture in the US is discussed a lot (an awful lot!)

Sooooooo many people state that they didn't leave a tip because the service was so bad but yet never told anyone about it.

How can things be put right if no-one points out the problems.

I will admit I'm not sure whether I'd be happy complaining on the ship though as I don't want anyone spitting in my food before I eat it! :eek:

Just back of Arcadia last week 21st July, and have nothing but praise for all the staff. Nothing was ever to much trouble, at one point my wife came down with a sore throat and lost her voice a bit, when the waiters in the MDR realized this when my wife went to order, they asked her without any prompting if she'd like some honey and lemon in hot water at the end of the meal when the rest of us had tea and coffee. They even contacted room service to make sure they left some in our room each afternoon.

We regularly frequented two or three different bars on the ship, but all the waiters remembered our drinks. Cannot praise the Arcadia staff highly enough, they were always cheerful and stopped for a chat, infact we nearly got our MDR asst waiter in trouble one morning in the buffet at breakfast for talking to him for so long, and not letting him get away to do his job.

Very sad to read some of the comments here, our first cruise was on the old P&O Arcadia, we had no complaints whatsover. Last year we cruised the Panama Canal on the Oceania and we had no complaints again, perhaps we are easy to please. The staff on board in the bars and restaurant have to work hard and long hours. They always remembered our names, knew what the order would be 'the usual'. Treat the staff with respect and you will get the respect back. I am looking forward to our cruise on the Oriana next January. I do not class myself as old, we are 56.

Ive just remembered a video on the in cabin TV featuring Carol Marlow speaking about the values they instill in their staff and how they want them to go the extra mile and 'smile'.

Unfortunately we saw this when experiencing variable service in freedom dining on Ventura and it made an stuck with us. Anyone looking around at the waiters serving in freedom dining on Ventura or Azura could see they look thoroughly miserable on the whole and its poor management that allows this.

When tips are assured, why would one member of waiting staff strive to excel when they can see a colleague coasting and earning the same tips?

In my view, there is only one way to resolve this issue. All diners are asked to rate their serving staff using an on table card so that the automatic tips are shared dependant on customer score averages that they have received. That will buck their ideas up.

I know they work long hours for months on end but they have chosen this career and ultimately we have paid a lot for our cruise and dont want to experience poor service.

Just back of Arcadia last week 21st July, and have nothing but praise for all the staff. Nothing was ever to much trouble, at one point my wife came down with a sore throat and lost her voice a bit, when the waiters in the MDR realized this when my wife went to order, they asked her without any prompting if she'd like some honey and lemon in hot water at the end of the meal when the rest of us had tea and coffee. They even contacted room service to make sure they left some in our room each afternoon.

We regularly frequented two or three different bars on the ship, but all the waiters remembered our drinks. Cannot praise the Arcadia staff highly enough, they were always cheerful and stopped for a chat, infact we nearly got our MDR asst waiter in trouble one morning in the buffet at breakfast for talking to him for so long, and not letting him get away to do his job.

That sounds more like it!! That's what we have experienced in the past on both Artemis and Azura. Looking forward to joining arcadia in 4.5 weeks :-)

Further to my earlier comment, #18, all the waiters we chatted to on Oriana were very happy to be on that ship and wanted to come back. One said that after their leave they were never sure which ship they would have to go back to, even if they wanted to be on Oriana. He also said that there is a pool of waiter in India larger than P&O need, so they sometimes have to wait for a posting after the end of their normal leave. They don’t appear to get paid for leave or waiting time, so not getting back immediately after their 3 months off is an obvious problem. I think he said that the normal contracts they can opt for are either 9 months on and 3 months off or 5 months on and 3 months off.

I will admit I'm not sure whether I'd be happy complaining on the ship though as I don't want anyone spitting in my food before I eat it! :eek:

Exactly Catherine, if you are still going to be served by the person you've complained about the atmosphere would be awful.

I wouldn't complain about someone just because they are miserable and brusque as long as they are doing the job, but it doesn't make for a pleasant dining experience. Guess everyone can't always be happy and friendly all the time, but please don't turn on the charm at tip time :mad:.

Ive just remembered a video on the in cabin TV featuring Carol Marlow speaking about the values they instill in their staff and how they want them to go the extra mile and 'smile'.

Unfortunately we saw this when experiencing variable service in freedom dining on Ventura and it made an stuck with us. Anyone looking around at the waiters serving in freedom dining on Ventura or Azura could see they look thoroughly miserable on the whole and its poor management that allows this.

When tips are assured, why would one member of waiting staff strive to excel when they can see a colleague coasting and earning the same tips?

In my view, there is only one way to resolve this issue. All diners are asked to rate their serving staff using an on table card so that the automatic tips are shared dependant on customer score averages that they have received. That will buck their ideas up.

I know they work long hours for months on end but they have chosen this career and ultimately we have paid a lot for our cruise and dont want to experience poor service.

I've seen people say things like you've said regarding when tips are assured and I don't get that attitude?

Can you explain why you think service workers don't have a good work ethic and only provide good service if they have a carrot (money) on a stick? What about salaried people. They get their salary whether they do a good job or are they different because they're salaried? Would you suggest that passengers determine what percent pay the captain should receive (using your letting the passenger determine how much tip the crew gets)? Maybe he's slacking because he knows he's going to get paid.

Also what qualifications do the diners have to be able to adequately evaluate the dining staff? They don't know what's going on behind the scenes that could impact service, but be totally out of the control of the waitstaff (eg. broken equipment or short staffed in the galley).

Brfan, the reason I suggested this is down to one reason, cruise lines add tips to your bill therefore when being asked to give over an extra amount to reward good service you expect good service. The comparison with the Captain isnt valid as since his wages are paid from the amount we all pay for our cruise fare, waiting staff are paid a tiny wage with the majority of their income expected to come from our tips.

Yes I too would expect that if they were on a set salary then they should still provide a good service, no question. But after speaking to other pasengers on club dining on the three cruises weve been on with P&O,its clear that those in club dining get a better degree of service with added personal touches than those in freedom dining. After all, in club dining if you think your waiter is miserable and coasting then he risks getting no tip but I reckon very few in freedom dining remove their automatic tips from their account.

but I reckon very few in freedom dining remove their automatic tips from their account.

I shall certainly be removing mine next summer if I don't receive excellent service of the sort I've previously had whilst on club dining, and I will provide a detailed reason why.

Brfan, the reason I suggested this is down to one reason, cruise lines add tips to your bill therefore when being asked to give over an extra amount to reward good service you expect good service. The comparison with the Captain isnt valid as since his wages are paid from the amount we all pay for our cruise fare, waiting staff are paid a tiny wage with the majority of their income expected to come from our tips.

Yes I too would expect that if they were on a set salary then they should still provide a good service, no question. But after speaking to other pasengers on club dining on the three cruises weve been on with P&O,its clear that those in club dining get a better degree of service with added personal touches than those in freedom dining. After all, in club dining if you think your waiter is miserable and coasting then he risks getting no tip but I reckon very few in freedom dining remove their automatic tips from their account.

Kevin,

The answer is to change to club dining. Tip or no tip you can build up a rapport with your table waiters.

Gan canny

Dai

Kevin,

The answer is to change to club dining. Tip or no tip you can build up a rapport with your table waiters.

Gan canny

Dai

Why should you change what YOU want to do on holiday so as to get good service? Bizarre statement.

I've not been on a cruise yet when we had no rapport with our waiters or the bar staff. Depends how you treat them of course? I always make a point of asking them which part of their country they are from and chatting to them about it. They are always very pleased to talk.

Hi Jean

I totally agree with you. I even try to learn hello, thank you as the least words to learn in their language and have found them very receptive.

I work casually in the service industry and like to talk to guests, many of whom wish to talk back, however there are others, from the body language or the manner in which they speak to you, I choose carefully whether to talk to them.

Where I work tips are few, however I do like to give a good service.

Jo:)

I agree that in club dining, I have always been able to build up a good rapport, to the point of jokes etc, with the waiters. Obviously in Freedom Dining it is going to be different as they will have different people to serve every night.

Jo, I too work with the general public - at a Harbour Office. Some customers are a delight and other, well you know as soon as they walk in, it's going to be difficult. The attitude of the customer has a definite effect on the attitude of the person serving them. Body language, not looking someone in the eye etc. Some you can have a lovely conversation with, others treat you like dirt. With that in mind, whenever I am dealing with a waiter or bar staff, I remember what it's like and talk to them in a way that I would like to be talked to. It's not rocket science is it?

I always say "namaste" to the waiters when I am leaving the dining room and I always get the same back!!

It must make the crew's jobs a lot more pleasant to be respected and for passengers to show an interest in their lives and families. One of our waiters, however, just didn't want to chat and seemed very unhappy. He was off ill one day, so maybe he wasn't very well.

I've seen some pax totally ignore them as they are served. Rude! They have so much to put up with. It's embarrassing at times. :(

It must make the crew's jobs a lot more pleasant to be respected and for passengers to show an interest in their lives and families. One of our waiters, however, just didn't want to chat and seemed very unhappy. He was off ill one day, so maybe he wasn't very well.

I've seen some pax totally ignore them as they are served. Rude! They have so much to put up with. It's embarrassing at times. :(

While I haven't any experience of cruising before I do find this to be the case.

I have always found people respond to how they are treated and when I see some people treat servers as servants it makes me cringe!

When people talk about excellent service I wonder what they mean? :confused:

I treat people as I'd like to be treated myself and usually get a very good response.

Jo, I too work with the general public - at a Harbour Office. Some customers are a delight and other, well you know as soon as they walk in, it's going to be difficult. The attitude of the customer has a definite effect on the attitude of the person serving them. Body language, not looking someone in the eye etc. Some you can have a lovely conversation with, others treat you like dirt. With that in mind, whenever I am dealing with a waiter or bar staff, I remember what it's like and talk to them in a way that I would like to be talked to. It's not rocket science is it?

I always say "namaste" to the waiters when I am leaving the dining room and I always get the same back!!

I think some people are going off the issue in hand, I had extremely poor service on the Oceana, it had nothing to do with my attitude, I treat people with the same respect as I would expect from others so your theory is wrong, some people on this forum take it as a personal insult to criticise P&O WHY??

Archived