"Braving", "Pathetic", "Lonely" solo trips

travelgip

• 4 weeks later...

Well I did it! Thanks to all the encouragement from this forum I went solo on Carnival Victory last week. It was, without a doubt, the best vacation I have ever taken. Yes, I admit to being nervous and worried about being "lonely" but those feelings vanished after the first few minutes at dinner the first night. Even at open seating on embarkation night I met some wonderful people. And the rest of the cruise, dinner at night was a highlight as all 10 of the people at the assigned table showed up every night and I have made friends for life. I don't know if I just got lucky but Carnival did a great job of matching up a mix of solos and couples in roughly the same age bracket for our table. In fact, one of the couples at dinner was someone I had talked to on my small roll call here and we didn't even realize until a few days into the cruise that we already sort of knew each other. On excursions I met entirely different people and had a great time with them as well. I had an inside cabin and as others have said it forced me out and about a lot. I wanted to get everything I could out of this trip so I never missed sail away from the ports, went to nearly all the activities in the big lounge, the piano bar, the comedy club acts etc. A couple of nights around midnight or 1am I just went out to the lido deck, grabbed a slice of pizza, sat in a deck chair and watched the movie or concert on the big screen with the full moon beaming down above. Early morning I'd go out on the forward "secret" decks to watch docking, grab some breakfast at the buffet and head off the ship to adventure. I can't wait until my next one...I'm already planning! Again, thank you all so much for your well wishes and advice. You were so right, it was wonderful!

Hmmm. I have now taken 7 trips/cruises alone, husband at home minding the fort. I am totally over the brave thing.

Yes, the first trip took some courage I recall, now I have a sense of accomplishment and freedom, particularly as I get older.

What I dislike is that so many people do feel the need to befriend you. Even taking a book to meals does not deter friendly "you don't want to be sitting alone" do gooders. I do my best to be sociable and polite, but my reasons for travelling alone are mostly because I want to be alone and take a break. This has been the case on every trip I have taken.

I am fortunate I can travel with my husband at other times, which I know many singles can no longer do. I am always very grateful when my fellow solo'ers understand :)

For those of you concerned about having to pay the full singles supplement, be aware that's not always the case. You do have to look around to find deals, though. People have mentioned the NCL Epic, which is a good choice. I've been on it once and have another cruise scheduled for the end of January. I generally choose NCL because they reflect my style--informal. I had to wear a suit quite a bit during my career, and now I prefer not to wear one, which fits in quite well with the NCL style.

Anyway, I was looking around on the NCL site this morning and found a Nov. 27 Caribbean cruise out of New Orleans for $524 single, even though the listed price is $349 pp. Admittedly, the window is short unless you live in the New Orleans area, but I've found this type of deal on cruises a month or two out in the past.

I suppose the point is that if your goal is to avoid the full supplement, you've got to spend some time looking--or have a travel agent who will do it for you. I prefer to put together my own trips, so in my case it's me looking.

I've now cruised solo more than a half dozen times, and really love it. I've also cruised with family members about the same number of times, and I also love that, but as some have pointed out it's really great to be able to decide what you want to do and when you want to do it without having to discuss it with the group. I have three solo cruises and one family cruise scheduled over the next 8 months.:)

The other thing that really helps is if you can wait and wait and wait to book and you are determined to either get a great deal or try again the next hour or day! I booked a week before my cruise because I liked the price. I had checked for just about two straight weeks on the SHORTER 5 day cruise because I figured there was no way I would get something this cheap but the base cruise fare was $600 for 9 days, inside guarantee so with the taxes and fees it came to $830, less the prepaid deposit that we (my husband was alive when we cruised in 2009) put down less some membership reward points and it cost me $380.00. I only wish my bar bill had been THAT inexpensive even with the $100 OBC that I got (credit for the deposit from 2009).

I'm really pleased to read how much other people have enjoyed traveling solo. It really is as good as you make it. I was spoiled by traveling in suites and did not know how I would like the inside cabin but I knew one thing it would do was force me out of there a lot of the time and I was right.

I did meet some nice people on the cruise, but that is to be expected as I have only met a few people I did not care for on ships and those mean and sloppy drunks are easy to avoid.

~Stacy

I am sooooooooooooo ready for my first solo cruise! Just a few more days, and I can escape from DH and do what I want and go where I want, with no interference. I had asked a couple of friends to go with me, but after reading others' opinions about solo cruising, I'm glad that none of them could go.

What you are feeling is what i've been feeling every since i realized i would have to make my first of many solo trips. So many places i want to see, so i'll be seeing them alone if that's what it takes. I will have to get over my solo cruise fears in less than 6 days yikes. I had forgotten how friendly the passengers where aboard as i was forced to play the "find the family" game. (during first family cruise). I hope they will be just as friendly and if so i know i'll have a blast. This time i'll remember to exchange contact info. I wish you all the best on your solo cruise.

Terra Cool this: <<<I also found myself wanting my own space and time. I am happy to travel solo and, as I plan my upcoming cruise, I am appreciative of how I can tailor what I do very narrowly to my exact tastes and desires.

In short - it is a very self-indulgent way to travel.>>>>

Yes, absolutely :) It's my self, one luxury, and it is luxury I know, the single supplement and European cruising makes it that. I like small ships and my cabin is my castle :)

I know the lines need to put 2 people per cabin. My next cruise coming up I am going on the first cruise of the season and the supp is waived, not waived on any of the regular season cruises though. I go without lots, and whilst I can, I will pay for my luxury single cabins. :)

Everyone, enjoy your space!

Have a great time...nothing like opening that balcony cabin for the first time and smiling ear to ear, knowing that I have it all to myself! It's empowering and such bliss to enjoy things on your own time and not having to comprimize!

Went on my first solo cruise Jan 1st and so glad I did. I travel frequently at work so I am used to being on trips alone. This was a completely different experience.

I met up with my cruise critic roll call (spent NYE with a couple the night before) and we saw each other all the time. I was always meeting people and because I am a singer and did karaoke, everyone seemed to know who I was. I had so many people to hang out with that sometimes I went to my cabin for some alone time - :). I still keep in touch with many of them including staff from the ship.

I am looking to do another one for the holidays this year. Still planning...last minute as always. I don't think I ever got the brave comment and certainly no pathetic looks/comments. In fact, everyone I met thought I was with a large group of people because I always had others around me.

I think a trip is what you make it. :D

First Cruise and doing so alone, but do not feel as alone after reading so many great posts in these Solo Threads. Thanks to all who have posted the encouragement, and I feel more confident and enthusiastic for it :)

I'll be sure to come here and post some encouragement of my own after my cruise:cool:

Wlecome to the club.

We should have a tag line or an icon for us "brave" people! :D

It may sound bad but I'm rather pleased with myself for having gone solo and having had such a fabulous time. Instead of "What am I thinking?" about going solo, I'm now "What am i thinking?" about taking my kids along on the next one! lol

There are so many stigmas in society! Not to digress too much but to give an example of another one, people ask me what killed my husband and I say lung cancer. Care to guess what they ask? My point is, why does it matter how he got it and why does anyone really need to know whether he smoked?

Sorry to digress like that! If I do another solo cruise I am going to get a shirt made that says "Solo Cruiser's do it their way all day, every day"

First Cruise and doing so alone, but do not feel as alone after reading so many great posts in these Solo Threads. Thanks to all who have posted the encouragement, and I feel more confident and enthusiastic for it :)

I'll be sure to come here and post some encouragement of my own after my cruise:cool:

Congrats! You will have a blast. I was very shy and went on a 4 day in Nov by myself. Best experience of my life!

Just say hi to people they are SO friendly on a cruise.

There are so many stigmas in society! Not to digress too much but to give an example of another one, people ask me what killed my husband and I say lung cancer. Care to guess what they ask? My point is, why does it matter how he got it and why does anyone really need to know whether he smoked? Sorry to digress like that! If I do another solo cruise I am going to get a shirt made that says "Solo Cruiser's do it their way all day, every day"

I did purhcase a Carnival T-Shirt from Carnival.Victorydyo.com that I ordered with the words "Cruising-Solo On The Pride? The UPS tracking number has it arriving tomorrow; plenty of time before my solo cruise on Christmas Day. I will wear it proudly on the Pride :D

Congrats! You will have a blast. I was very shy and went on a 4 day in Nov by myself. Best experience of my life! Just say hi to people they are SO friendly on a cruise.

I read your review, Patricia, and posted in that thread about how inspired I am by your brave heart. You may not have been the first to blaze the solo cruising trail, but the first I have read that has written about your experience so eloquently. Thank you so much for sharing. You have no idea how much it has brought me comfort going into my first cruise, let alone cruising it solo:cool:

I did purhcase a Carnival T-Shirt from Carnival.Victorydyo.com that I ordered with the words "Cruising-Solo On The Pride? The UPS tracking number has it arriving tomorrow; plenty of time before my solo cruise on Christmas Day. I will wear it proudly on the Pride :D

What a great idea! I didn't even know about that site! Thanks for posting.

I hope someday this "club" gets together an organized solo cruise, I think that would be a a lot of fun too!

That's a great idea and if there are enough people who are interested perhaps we can persuade one of the cruise lines to give us all great rates! The new RCI ship 'may' have something in mind for single occupancy. I think the Epic might have something like that?

We could have tshirts, advertise and generate so much publicity that by the time the cruise takes place everyone will know who we are :)

I read your review, Patricia, and posted in that thread about how inspired I am by your brave heart. You may not have been the first to blaze the solo cruising trail, but the first I have read that has written about your experience so eloquently. Thank you so much for sharing. You have no idea how much it has brought me comfort going into my first cruise, let alone cruising it solo:cool:

I'm so happy that my review had such a positive impact! I really do hope you have a great time. I look forward to reading YOUR review!

I'm so happy that my review had such a positive impact! I really do hope you have a great time. I look forward to reading YOUR review!

Patricia, I will post a link to my review here, but it will not be nearly as eloquent as yours. I hope I can be as humble as you when writing it, but I fear my propensity for directness may get in the way of any eloquence I could possibly muster:o

That's a great idea and if there are enough people who are interested perhaps we can persuade one of the cruise lines to give us all great rates! The new RCI ship 'may' have something in mind for single occupancy. I think the Epic might have something like that?

We could have tshirts, advertise and generate so much publicity that by the time the cruise takes place everyone will know who we are :)

If all goes well on my first cruise at the end of this month, I may be up for a joint cruise for Solo Club Members:)

Archived