"Braving", "Pathetic", "Lonely" solo trips

travelgip

What a great idea! I didn't even know about that site! Thanks for posting.

I hope someday this "club" gets together an organized solo cruise, I think that would be a a lot of fun too!

The T-Shirt came in yesterday as promised. It looks great. Hope to wear it at the cruise critic roll call meet and greet, and at any possible singles mingles on the Carnival Pride.

btw, CShelly, great idea about the joint solo cruise. I may be up for it, if things go well on my solo Carnival Pride Cruise the last week of this month:)

I love the idea of a Joint Solo cruise. Sounds like fun. Of course, I haven't quite been on my first solo cruise yet. Still a few months to go for that.

I'm really glad to see there are so many solo's out there. It's making me a tad bit less nervous about my first solo!

Christine

Should the person that suggested it (please) start a new thread so we can gage interest in it? If we could get some kind of idea how many people want it we could go to CC and then see what ships would be amenable?

I guess the next question would be where to go from then where to go to and then most importantly when? 18 months seems to be a long goal but that could be a good time as its before children are out of school.

Thoughts (in a new thread?). I am happy to help out in any way I can while I am looking for a job!

~Stacy

Should the person that suggested it (please) start a new thread so we can gage interest in it? If we could get some kind of idea how many people want it we could go to CC and then see what ships would be amenable?

I guess the next question would be where to go from then where to go to and then most importantly when? 18 months seems to be a long goal but that could be a good time as its before children are out of school.

Thoughts (in a new thread?). I am happy to help out in any way I can while I am looking for a job!

~Stacy

I'll be sailing solo on RCI Explorer 9/23/12 to Bermuda and 3/05/13 Eastern Caribbean, out of Bayonne, if anyone would care to make this a group solo cruise.

I went on my first solo 9/24/11 and met another solo cruiser, we decided to get together again and booked a reunion cruise while still on the ship. I also met 2 sisters on the same cruise and they called and told me about the cruise in March.

I would love the idea of a group solo cruise, but I'm not crazy about flying, so would be interested in cruises leaving from NY/NJ.

Well I booked another one of these lonely, pathetic solo cruises this morning for next fall.:D It was between the new Carnival Breeze and the updated Liberty. I chose the Liberty because the price was so low and the Breeze was nearly twice as much. I know 384.00 ES doubled for the supplement isn't super cheap but for a year in advance it seems pretty good. Gives me a year to save up! Will be my first time in Mexico. Can't wait!

I love the idea of a Joint Solo cruise. Sounds like fun. Of course, I haven't quite been on my first solo cruise yet. Still a few months to go for that.

I'm really glad to see there are so many solo's out there. It's making me a tad bit less nervous about my first solo!

Christine

Christine! I just saw your screen name on the December 1, 2012 roll call for the Liberty! I booked it today...are you going solo too? And if anyone else on here wants to jump on that one come on over to the roll call.

I'll be sailing solo on RCI Explorer 9/23/12 to Bermuda and 3/05/13 Eastern Caribbean, out of Bayonne, if anyone would care to make this a group solo cruise. I went on my first solo 9/24/11 and met another solo cruiser, we decided to get together again and booked a reunion cruise while still on the ship. I also met 2 sisters on the same cruise and they called and told me about the cruise in March. I would love the idea of a group solo cruise, but I'm not crazy about flying, so would be interested in cruises leaving from NY/NJ.

Cruising out of Bayonne, New Jersey would be my choice as well, or even better Baltimore for me, as I live in Delaware. If I do not have to fly to cruise, then that would motivate me more to join a joint cruise for solos:)

Christine! I just saw your screen name on the December 1, 2012 roll call for the Liberty! I booked it today...are you going solo too? And if anyone else on here wants to jump on that one come on over to the roll call.

Yes! I am in fact going on that cruise solo. That's awesome that you'll be there too!

Christine

Oh one last thing...wonder if they'll end up assigning us to the same table for dinner...assuming you picked the traditional dinning? I mean since we'll both be solos...:o

Oh one last thing...wonder if they'll end up assigning us to the same table for dinner...assuming you picked the traditional dinning? I mean since we'll both be solos...:o

I'm not sure how they decide. I picked traditional dining yes, but I picked the 6:00 pm seating which I really liked on the Victory. More people seem to like the late seating but 6 was better for me. On the Victory last month, (my first solo), there were two other solos at my seating, along with two single ladies traveling together and two other couples one with their little girl. We had the BEST time with the whole table. Everyone showed up for dinner every night and we sat together at shows and ended up on some of the same excursions. I may have just gotten lucky but it was perfect. I made lifelong friends.

I know Carnival does a good job of putting people together but maybe we can request being seated at the same table. I know a lot of roll call folks somehow manage to get seated at adjoining tables. Anybody know how to do that? We probably have to call someone. If we wait until boarding to talk to the dining staff it will be too late I'm told.

Cruising out of Bayonne, New Jersey would be my choice as well, or even better Baltimore for me, as I live in Delaware. If I do not have to fly to cruise, then that would motivate me more to join a joint cruise for solos:)

I wouldn't mind flying up north sometime for a solo/group cruise to Bermuda. Never been there and I hear a lot of ships are cutting back on their cruises there.

Count me in for Bayonne :)

I say we start a new thread to gage interest, maybe one thread for any cruises people have already booked and then after a month or so we can take a head count and go to the cruise line or a TA and see about getting a group rate? I am willing to do an inside guarantee....

~Stacy

I'm not sure how they decide. I picked traditional dining yes, but I picked the 6:00 pm seating which I really liked on the Victory. More people seem to like the late seating but 6 was better for me. On the Victory last month, (my first solo), there were two other solos at my seating, along with two single ladies traveling together and two other couples one with their little girl. We had the BEST time with the whole table. Everyone showed up for dinner every night and we sat together at shows and ended up on some of the same excursions. I may have just gotten lucky but it was perfect. I made lifelong friends.

That's exactly what I would like to have happen. If not, oh well. I actually picked the later seating though. I just find that early seating just comes too quickly. If you get what I'm trying to say!

I think the CC dinner thing, someone contacts their PVP, and they try and work it out. Something like that anyway!

Christine

I know Carnival does a good job of putting people together but maybe we can request being seated at the same table. I know a lot of roll call folks somehow manage to get seated at adjoining tables. Anybody know how to do that? We probably have to call someone. If we wait until boarding to talk to the dining staff it will be too late I'm told.

On my last cruise, I sat with with people I met on the CC roll call. One of the cruisers called their travel agent and linked our reservations. If you booked directly with the cruise line you can just call them and they will link it for you. You need the other persons reservation number.

Gail

Interesting title for a thread. I must admit that I have never thought of myself in those terms. I started by reading a few posts to this thread and then decided to go to the end and post my own rationale for solo traveling. After I post, I will read from the first post and make my way to the last post on this thread.

I go solo because I like it that way. I like the independence of going on my own, when I want to, and in the manner I want to. After all, it is my vacation. These days, it is my retirement break so to speak. I meet so many interesting people when I travel.

What is so brave about cruising? You check what cruises are available, consider your spending level, see if you have the time to spend, and wham-o you decide. Sounds like fun to me.

Pathetic? I decide to take a cruise which is so careefree and enriching, to get involved with a great experience, and to have memories to cherish for the rest of my life. If this is being pathetic, give me an extra portion.

Is it lonely to take a cruise? I might possibly agree it is lonely to stay at home. Just maybe. Cruising is not a lonely experience, even if you decide not to be social. It is still exciting and you are placing yourself out into the world.

Having said all that, I love cruising solo and for me it is the best way for me to go. So little effort is needed to just go.

Probably because cruising in general is such a "couple-oriented" experience, and others think we're brave to actually venture out into such an environment and be in the minority. I suppose the prospect COULD be a bit intimidating for solos who don't frequent the Cruise Critic solos board and would never even entertain the thought of going by themselves.

Yesterday, I was curious to see if I was the only solo on the rollcall for my upcoming cruise. It turns out I think I am the only solo on the rollcall. I rather like the idea of being a little unique.

I am so happy to have run accross this thread! Just signed into the board last week when my cruise was finalized. While I travel globally for business alone all the time, this is a bit daunting. Not because of being alone, but because its my 1st cruise and it is overwhelming! I leave in September for the Med (12 day cruise and 3 days pre stay in Barcelona).

Im curious, I have a huge debate going on (with myself) on whether or not to skip the formal nights and just try another restaurant. Suggestions?

Im in my late 40s and I hope to meet many interesting people - are most friendly to "solo" cruisers?

I hope you did the formal nights.

By the time you read this, it will be old news, but I do hope you had some fun formal nights.

I'm a 34 y/o guy and I miss travelling alone, I totally envy you guys! Throughout my 20s I backpacked and explored Europe on my own and had a blast. I always had the opportunity to see every museum and every interesting site that I wanted to see.

Now that I'm in my 30s, I've had to always travel with somebody else and it totally sucks. We're always bickering about what to see, when and what to eat, etc. I seriously think I miss out on over half the sights I used to see when I travelled alone. I also don't get the opportunity to always meet new people wherever I am. When you travel single, you are forced to interact with others out of fun and necessity. You will try new experiences that you would never consider doing back home. When you travel with others, it's often hard to strike up conversations with strangers or to seek out new adventures because you are busy being preoccupied with your travel companion. Yuck! :(

I haven't considered a cruise by myself yet. You give me hope! :)

You say in your 30s you are compelled to travel with others. I am wondering why. I did many trips to Europe and other areas of the world on my own when i was younger and I still do. Btw, I am much older than you.

Choice is yours, but age should not be a deterrent. I am sure you have your reasons.

Interesting title for a thread. I must admit that I have never thought of myself in those terms.

Eddie,

When this thread was started the name was chosen as a "tongue in cheek" sort of thing. Solo cruisers often get the "Oh you're so brave!" comments or the poor-thing-having-to-travel-all-alone looks. Or worse, the "don't they have any friends to cruise with?" whispers. I thought the stories might be a little exaggerated but surprisingly I got the "brave" comments over and over on my first solo last month. They actually made me feel great!:)

I think women more than men get these comments. But once people realize that the solo cruiser goes whereever and does whatever she (or he) wants, whenever they want without having to worry about someone else the entire trip, they actually get a bit envious. Oh and I was the only solo on my roll call but there were a bunch of solo cruisers on the ship and I sat with two others at dinner every night. I don't know about Princess but Carnival did a great job of putting solo cruisers together for dinner seatings.

That's exactly what I would like to have happen. If not, oh well. I actually picked the later seating though. I just find that early seating just comes too quickly. If you get what I'm trying to say!

I think the CC dinner thing, someone contacts their PVP, and they try and work it out. Something like that anyway!

Christine

I picked the 6pm seating for a couple of reasons...mainly because on the Victory all but one of the big shows start at 9 with only one show per night and those eating at the 8:15 seating either had to rush through the meal or get there late and get a seat way in the back. Our table had such fun at dinner we never got out of there before 7:30 or 8:00! It may be different on the Liberty, I think maybe two shows per night or something? I'll check some Fun Times and see what the schedules look like.

The other reason is I would grab a quick breakfast and be off the ship every morning very early. More often than not I would have an apple or something for lunch while exploring the island and then be really ready for dinner by 6 and everything tastes fantastic when youre hungry!:) I even ate two desserts some nights and I lost four pounds on the trip! That probably won't ever happen again though! (The four pounds not the two desserts)

I'm going on my first cruise next summer with my daughter as a birthday present to me and graduation present for her. But looks like after that I'll probabaly become a solo cruiser for the most part. The daughter will start college and get a job and my husband told me yesterday that he has no desire to go on a cruise. He doesn't really like doing anything!

For me to cruise solo I really will have to "be brave". I'm not very outgoing and rarely strike up a conversation with someone I don't know. I don't mind being alone but don't want to be lonely either (I'm shy until I get to know you, does that make any sense?). But I want to cruise and I'm hoping that after a couple of solo cruises that I won't have to "be brave" anymore and that it will help me become more outgoing!!

Eddie,

When this thread was started the name was chosen as a "tongue in cheek" sort of thing. Solo cruisers often get the "Oh you're so brave!" comments or the poor-thing-having-to-travel-all-alone looks. Or worse, the "don't they have any friends to cruise with?" whispers. I thought the stories might be a little exaggerated but surprisingly I got the "brave" comments over and over on my first solo last month. They actually made me feel great!:)

I think women more than men get these comments. But once people realize that the solo cruiser goes whereever and does whatever she (or he) wants, whenever they want without having to worry about someone else the entire trip, they actually get a bit envious. Oh and I was the only solo on my roll call but there were a bunch of solo cruisers on the ship and I sat with two others at dinner every night. I don't know about Princess but Carnival did a great job of putting solo cruisers together for dinner seatings.

Did the cruise exceed your expectations? I hope it did. I can understand how hearing "brave" comments could make you feel great.

I have done a lot of solo land vacations. I love the independence. And solo cruising for me is no different in that respect. My primary focus is to enjoy the new experiences that a vacation brings to me. I love meeting new people - solos, couples, or whatever. It enhances my vacation.

As I read the posts on this thread, I got curious about the rollcall for my next cruise. It was interesting to find that I was the only solo, so far, on the rollcall. But, on the cruise, I am sure it will be a far different story. It will be really exciting to see what new people I will meet and the experiences I will have this time. As others have said, attitude is really important.

Archived