"Braving", "Pathetic", "Lonely" solo trips

travelgip

That is perfect, as for not doing everything together....perfect too......I am happy you found mr wonderful and on a cruise that gives those hope on the cruises that they might as well...................I believe the perfect person for one will turn up when not planned and least expected......thus is life......it is in the unexpected we find memories and they will be life long......

....I've loved reading the posts on this thread and I'm so liking everyone who responded.

Wish we all could charter a ship and go to the Maldives or something, before they sink into the Indian Ocean. Or the Seychelles. Or both, like, for a month.

(all in our own little separate solo cabins of course) :D

Jane

....I've loved reading the posts on this thread and I'm so liking everyone who responded.

Wish we all could charter a ship and go to the Maldives or something, before they sink into the Indian Ocean. Or the Seychelles. Or both, like, for a month.

(all in our own little separate solo cabins of course) :D

Jane

Jane, of course:D

Guess I'm just by nature a loner. I travel alone because I have a hard time thinking of someone to share the room with. I've traveled all over the world alone and find that cruising, instead of causing me to feel alone, allows me opportunity to interact with others at meals, showtimes and excursions. Roaming through Europe and Asia is much more of an alone experience. I do gain personal insight when traveling, and one day may run into that travel companion. Meanwhile, I'm sailing alone. People say "you"re going alone? " Ianswer no, there's about 2000 other people I'm with! :)

What a great statement........I have traveled the world over sometimes solo, sometimes with another......both are great....but alone you tend to be on your own pace....the cruise ship will be new for me...2000 or more people....seems like a lot of people for someone to think anyone would really be alone, unless they want to be alone.....;)

What a great statement........I have traveled the world over sometimes solo, sometimes with another......both are great....but alone you tend to be on your own pace....the cruise ship will be new for me...2000 or more people....seems like a lot of people for someone to think anyone would really be alone, unless they want to be alone.....;)

ssgirl, I think you will enjoy the cruise experience, I used to do a lot of solo land tours as I like seeing the world and then I thought I'd try a cruise. I loved not having to pack up every day and unpack every night. Its much easier when the whole hotel moves to the next stop. I enjoyed the land tours as well but I have had about a dozen different solos cruises since my last land tour. There are some more land tours I want to try yet but for now, I am enjoying the cruises. Good luck on your first trip, I think you will enjoy it.

Just returned from my first solo cruise On NCL sky! I had a wonderful time. Ready to go again. I have to tell you all a statement made to me.... I was in pool talking to a group of women who came together. One looked at me and said "Who are you here with?" I said proudly, I am solo, she dropped her chin and said OH my God! I went to the theatre once by myself!!!! I told her it was an adventure, a fantastic one at that!!

Hi Julia, most of the major cruiselines all charge double. Example,

a cabin is 700.00 per person, double occupancy...well, the solo cruiser

would pay 1400.00...less port charges and taxes for 1.

Not sure what itinerary you are looking at but 1700.00 solo would be

850.00 per person so you are paying double.

Is there a way around it? No, not unless the cruiseline reduces

the Single Supplement. There is no finegling....they want 2 people

in the cabin.

Now, if you can do the "Luxury Lines"....they have lower supplements

but the price of the cruise is quite high so it just depends on your

finances.

Me? I don't look at what the supplement is because I know it is

part of the price. I look at the bottom line and if I can afford it,

then I book it. I have been on my own for too many years and

have no desire to share a cabin. I always cruise solo. Going again

in November:)

Nice to find this thread!

As someone else mentioned, I'm a loner by nature and my entire family knows that. I regularly eat out, go to the movies and go away for weekend trips ... alone. I absolutely love it.

I've been to NYC 3 times alone and at least twice a year, I go to Niagara Falls along for a weekend (heading there in November!)

I did my first solo cruise last September for my birthday and I absolutely loved it. I didn't have to check in with anyone and I could do what I wanted, when I wanted and how I wanted. The only thing I missed about a companion was taking pictures of myself, but I made do with the many nice people I met on my excursions. I did spend a lot of time reading and relaxing my room, but that's what a vacation is for.

I have my next solo cruise booked in February and this is going to be 2 nights longer than my last solo cruise. I'm looking forward to more quiet time, but also to mingling more than I did last time. I don't mind being alone; gives me a peace of mind that's unexplainable. Sometimes, silence is welcomed. It actually brings me back to one of my favorite cruise memories. On the night of my birthday, I walked around the track about 10 times while listening to my favorite song. I went back to my room and ordered room service while watching a favorite movie of mines. One of the best birthdays I've had in a long time.

Hi Julia, most of the major cruiselines all charge double. Example,

a cabin is 700.00 per person, double occupancy...well, the solo cruiser

would pay 1400.00...less port charges and taxes for 1.

Not sure what itinerary you are looking at but 1700.00 solo would be

850.00 per person so you are paying double.

Is there a way around it? No, not unless the cruiseline reduces

the Single Supplement. There is no finegling....they want 2 people

in the cabin.

Now, if you can do the "Luxury Lines"....they have lower supplements

but the price of the cruise is quite high so it just depends on your

finances.

Me? I don't look at what the supplement is because I know it is

part of the price. I look at the bottom line and if I can afford it,

then I book it. I have been on my own for too many years and

have no desire to share a cabin. I always cruise solo. Going again

in November:)

I look at it as the price of freedom and privacy. Maybe that's something that gains value as we age and make a successful adjustment to living solo.

I look at it as the price of freedom and privacy. Maybe that's something that gains value as we age and make a successful adjustment to living solo.

We must be twins:D;):) because we have the exact same thought

process!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a weeks vacation after New Years, and no one is available or has the means to come with me. This is the only winters' vacation I will get before another 3 years. I am not going to miss out. I still haven't made a decision as to where I will go, but a cruise it will probably be. Lots of activities if you want to join them. Going solo will mean I can go if I want, not having to wait for another to get ready. Last cruise, so much time was waisted on DH getting ready.:( The only thing with going solo is the price. Everything cost more solo.

I can't wait to make a decision. I want to have my new passport in my hands before making any kind of reservation.

Maybe I will be joining some of you on a NYE cruise in the Caribbean!

I have a weeks vacation after New Years, and no one is available or has the means to come with me. This is the only winters' vacation I will get before another 3 years. I am not going to miss out. I still haven't made a decision as to where I will go, but a cruise it will probably be. Lots of activities if you want to join them. Going solo will mean I can go if I want, not having to wait for another to get ready. Last cruise, so much time was waisted on DH getting ready.:( The only thing with going solo is the price. Everything cost more solo.

I can't wait to make a decision. I want to have my new passport in my hands before making any kind of reservation.

Maybe I will be joining some of you on a NYE cruise in the Caribbean!

I haven't been on a cruise in 14 years. I'm a widow now and next month I'm going solo on the Victory. I'm a little nervous but I'm determined to have a great time! Participating in the roll call has helped a lot and to be honest I even read a few ongoing roll calls BEFORE I decided on which ship to book. I already think I may get addicted to cruising solo!

I haven't been on a cruise in 14 years. I'm a widow now and next month I'm going solo on the Victory. I'm a little nervous but I'm determined to have a great time! Participating in the roll call has helped a lot and to be honest I even read a few ongoing roll calls BEFORE I decided on which ship to book. I already think I may get addicted to cruising solo!

Cshelly, Good for you and I hope you enjoy your trip. Yes the solo cruising gets addicting, so you will probably be looking for your next one shortly after you get off the ship. Happy Sailing.

• 2 weeks later...
Cshelly, Good for you and I hope you enjoy your trip. Yes the solo cruising gets addicting, so you will probably be looking for your next one shortly after you get off the ship. Happy Sailing.

I'm already looking for the next one and I haven't even left for the first one yet!:D Cruise Critic has me addicted! What I'd really love to find is a group of solo cruisers from here planning a cruise. Not a "singles" cruise, just some of the solo posters from Cruise Critic. Maybe if it was far enough in advance...say 2013 on the new Carnival Breeze or something. I love being on my current roll call but I'm the only solo on the list. Probably won't matter in the long run!

I'm already looking for the next one and I haven't even left for the first one yet!:D Cruise Critic has me addicted! What I'd really love to find is a group of solo cruisers from here planning a cruise. Not a "singles" cruise, just some of the solo posters from Cruise Critic. Maybe if it was far enough in advance...say 2013 on the new Carnival Breeze or something. I love being on my current roll call but I'm the only solo on the list. Probably won't matter in the long run!

CShelly, I am doing a TA on the Rotterdam in November and there are only three other solos on our roll call, but I usually find more solos once I am aboard. I did the Panama Canal last year and we only had three solos on the roll call but there were more aboard that I got to know. Its nice to have someone you know is doing the solo route as well to visit with from time to time. Happy Sailing.

Exactly. And not having been in any social situations since my husband passed three years ago I'm not sure if I'll feel like a fifth wheel in my roll call when everyone else is paired up. But I'm told Carnival does a pretty good job of the dinner seating for solos so I'm looking forward to meeting others. There's also a singles meet and greet the ship sponsors but I'm undecided about that. Maybe it's the terminology..."singles" sounds like you're looking for a romantic partner as opposed to solo is just everyone cruising by themselves. Do you go to those things or do you meet people mostly at dinner?

What I like about the Epic is I can script most of the week by the time I am aboard, which is how I like to plan vacations anyway. Whats nice is you can do one thing for an hour, try something else for 90 minutes etc.....

I go concerts and baseball games by myself sometimes just out of habit, so provided I am entertained I don't mind going alone.

That was the problem when I went on the Jewel, after 4 days I felt I exhuasted everything, whereas on the Epic, more shows, a jazz and blues clubs and multiple excursions I am interested in.

In terms of wondering what other people think, lifes to short and it is not worth worrying about.

What was kind of funny in a way was when checking in to the terminal lots of people and families were cranky and I seemed like the only calm one!

I guess I must be the "old-timer" of this crowd. I took my first cruise in 1988 - solo, of course. Is there any other way to travel?

I have always lived outside of the box, marched to my own drummer and considered myself as viable a human being as those who are coupled, paired and/or familied. Heck, I'm so much of a viable human being that I even cook myself a turkey dinner on Thanksgiving and Christmas and a ham at Easter. :)

There is absolutely nothing to fear nor have trepidation about traveling solo. It's a liberating and "good to the last drop" type of vacation because YOU get to do what YOU want, YOU get to see what YOU want to see, YOU get to eat what and where YOU want and the list goes on. Selfish? Absolutely not! If YOU don't take care of YOU and do what is pleasurable to YOU, then who is going to do it?

Toss those fears and trepidations away. They are simply garbage that is weighing down your thought process. Put on your big girl panties/big boy shorts and get out there and enjoy yourself. You'll never regret being good to yourself.

Happy sails......:cool:

Exactly. And not having been in any social situations since my husband passed three years ago I'm not sure if I'll feel like a fifth wheel in my roll call when everyone else is paired up. But I'm told Carnival does a pretty good job of the dinner seating for solos so I'm looking forward to meeting others. There's also a singles meet and greet the ship sponsors but I'm undecided about that. Maybe it's the terminology..."singles" sounds like you're looking for a romantic partner as opposed to solo is just everyone cruising by themselves. Do you go to those things or do you meet people mostly at dinner?

CShelly, I have been on Carnival a couple of times and they do a good job of trying to seat solos together so I think that will go ok for you. As far as the roll call it still gives you the opportunity to meet others and I have later joined up with some of them for trivia and other activities. I also have met people on the ships excursions as well. As far as the single mixers I have not gone to them because on most ships there is no one there most of the time. I have walked by a few times but didn't bother going in because no one else was there. Just plan on having a great trip and I think you will. A good attitude makes every trip an enjoyable one, even if everything doesn't go perfect. Good Luck and I hope you enjoy your trip.

If you go to have fun, you will never be a fifth wheel, you will be the leader of the pack instead.

Can you tell me how you finagle a reasonable price -- Holland wants me to pay $1700 for my own cabin. did you have your own cabin? Any advice on booking would be helpful. Thank you.

There's really no finagling. Epic has the single suites that are a little less than 2x a regular cabin, but that's about it.

I don't really get bothered by the single supplement. I look at the price as the price for the cabin. If there are two people, they split the price. If there aren't one person pays for the cabin. Just because one person (of the theoretical two for double-occupancy pricing) is missing doesn't mean the ship can call the grocer and order a dozen fewer eggs or whatever. A lot of that kind of thing will be paid for whether the person is in the cabin or not The ship really loses by having one less person gambling, drinking, buying shore excursions, etc.

We really make out on things like shore excursions which are almost always priced per-person. But rarely do I see singles looking at that as any kind of a discount nor couples looking at the double fee as a supplement or penalty.

I take vacatons when I can afford the room. I've even passed up the opportunity to cruise with someone else who could not afford the room and needed to double up. I just said no. Wasn't trying to be mean, but I would literally rather cruise on my own than have to share a cabin, which is what that decision amounted to.

quote by terracool:

" I take vacatons when I can afford the room."

"I would literally rather cruise on my own than have to share a cabin"

Hi,:) I know I took your sentences out of the whole post but I did that

on purpose;)

I have only shared a cabin twice in over 30 cruises and both of those

were back in 2005 and 2006. I have been cruising on a regular basis

since 2003. It would have to be something really, really, REALLY

special for me to ever share a cabin again.

I have lived on my own forever (seems like) LOL..I don't share anything

here at home~ not the bathroom and not the clicker:D. So to share

a cabin on a cruiseship? No thank you.

As for pricing, I do the same thing as well.....I look at the total

price......if I can afford it, I go. And I am going again in 3 weeks...

sailing Nov 12th and I am soooo looking forward to it....a week

of relaxing and doing nothing:)

Archived