LGBT Liberty of the Seas 10-29-2011 Transatlantic Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale (Pt2)

CC Help Jenn

BARB half my group got their e-docs and the rest of us have choice air and they did tell us it takes a little longer....I am not stressing like some folks I see on CC it is no big deal as long as you have your SET SAIL PASS...and luggage tags come real quick once ordered... I am surprised though that the entertainment schedules are not available yet.

SANDY have fun tomorrow.

CORINNE good luck with your show...you will do just fine I am sure.

Our weather cooled down to the 90's [perfect] but supposed to be back in the 100's again next week.....:eek:

I have a Verizon Global phone and have used it in Europe many times all I have to do is dial 1 and the number and I get right through no problem

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend....

Sherry, I am not going to stress, I figure if I don't get them I will get them at the port.

Suppose to be in the 90s today, love this cooler weather.

Have a great weekend.

Hi all, finally getting around to checking in tonight. Been a bit under the weather since yesterday, hopefully it will clear up soon as I am heading to Boise on Tuesday for our annual fiscal officers association meetings.

Man oh man, northern Nevada just can't catch a break at the moment. First the IHOP shooting here in Carson City, now the plane wreck at the Reno Air Races. Death toll is at nine now, not expecting to go any higher. They have not released any names of those killed or injured, but I know several people who attend from time to time (its a 4 day event each year). Have not heard any bad news, so I am assuming I know none of those impacted. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

I used to go to the races quite frequently years ago, in fact some friends of ours were an associate sponsor on the Rare Bear unlimited racer (Bearcat air frame) and we would hang in the pits and help anyway we could. These pilots and crews are the best. I met Jimmy Leeward (the pilot of the plane that wrecked) several years ago, like most of those guys, very nice and always willing to take a few moments to talk planes. For a few years back in the 90's we would rent a box on the tarmac in front of the grandstands for ourselves and guest of the Rare Bear, as the seating was more spacious and we could bring our coolers and food from the pits. I just can't believe this happened as the air race organization, the FAA, the police and fire take extraordinary precautions to make this event safe for the spectators. The way the race course is designed relative to the main spectating area is designed to keep the planes from approaching the seating areas. Obviously something went very wrong yesterday for that plane to not climb as they do during a mayday and instead went straight into the ground. My heart and prayers go out to all who were killed or injured and their love ones, as well as those who witnessed such a horrible event and the first responders and now the investigators who are trying to piece it all together.

Sorry to go on about all of this crappy news around here, boy, this cruise just can't come fast enough!!

Hi and welcome to Debbie and Williejan, hopefully we'll get to meet y'all. With such a large group on this roll call, it is going to be quite challenging. We are Mike and Julie from Carson City, Nevada (which usually isn't in the national spotlight until this month:() and this our first TA. Welcome aboard!!

Welcome to all the new members to the group :)

Thought would just check in and say HI I have been keeping an eye on the boards just not had much to say :D just been busy busy busy with work hopefully things will calm down for a few weeks until we sail and then the next rush of complaints is when we reposition the aircraft for the winter but as I won't be around not my problem ;)

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend and check back later.

Good morning Matt and everyone. Just watching the rugby and enjoying the (wet) view from our apartment near Lymington. A view of the Solent and small ferries going over to the Isle of Wight from the patio doors. Looking forward to a week of days out, some by train and one over to the island. Just hoping for some dry weather. Oh, and line revision! :(

Corinne

Hi and welcome to Debbie and Williejan, hopefully we'll get to meet y'all. With such a large group on this roll call, it is going to be quite challenging. We are Mike and Julie from Carson City, Nevada (which usually isn't in the national spotlight until this month:() and this our first TA. Welcome aboard!!

Hi Mike & Julie thank you for welcoming us to the group. This will be our second T/A. We lov ethe T/A as it is such fun, there,s enough things going on and enough time to relax. Hope to see you soon. Have a great sunday.

Debbie

Good afternoon everyone, hope all is OK.

Bit the bullet and ordered our soda and wine packages today. Was looking at the US$ prices and reckon that the exchange rate RCI UK are using at the moment to convert into GBP (we have to pay in GBP when we pre-order) is better than I can get from the banks at the moment as the US$/GBP rate is going down:(. It's even better than the best rate I got a month ago when exchanging some GBP into US$.

Anyway I reckon I've saved us around $40, not a fortune but as our major supermarket chain says 'Every Little Helps' and it keeps the Sea Pass account down! That reminds me, I need to go grocery shopping!

Back later folks.

Hi all, finally getting around to checking in tonight. Been a bit under the weather since yesterday, hopefully it will clear up soon as I am heading to Boise on Tuesday for our annual fiscal officers association meetings.

Man oh man, northern Nevada just can't catch a break at the moment. First the IHOP shooting here in Carson City, now the plane wreck at the Reno Air Races. Death toll is at nine now, not expecting to go any higher. They have not released any names of those killed or injured, but I know several people who attend from time to time (its a 4 day event each year). Have not heard any bad news, so I am assuming I know none of those impacted. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

I used to go to the races quite frequently years ago, in fact some friends of ours were an associate sponsor on the Rare Bear unlimited racer (Bearcat air frame) and we would hang in the pits and help anyway we could. These pilots and crews are the best. I met Jimmy Leeward (the pilot of the plane that wrecked) several years ago, like most of those guys, very nice and always willing to take a few moments to talk planes. For a few years back in the 90's we would rent a box on the tarmac in front of the grandstands for ourselves and guest of the Rare Bear, as the seating was more spacious and we could bring our coolers and food from the pits. I just can't believe this happened as the air race organization, the FAA, the police and fire take extraordinary precautions to make this event safe for the spectators. The way the race course is designed relative to the main spectating area is designed to keep the planes from approaching the seating areas. Obviously something went very wrong yesterday for that plane to not climb as they do during a mayday and instead went straight into the ground. My heart and prayers go out to all who were killed or injured and their love ones, as well as those who witnessed such a horrible event and the first responders and now the investigators who are trying to piece it all together.

Sorry to go on about all of this crappy news around here, boy, this cruise just can't come fast enough!!

Sorry to hear you're under the weather, just make sure you're 100% in just under 6 weeks time!

Good morning Matt and everyone. Just watching the rugby and enjoying the (wet) view from our apartment near Lymington. A view of the Solent and small ferries going over to the Isle of Wight from the patio doors. Looking forward to a week of days out, some by train and one over to the island. Just hoping for some dry weather. Oh, and line revision! :(

Corinne

Hope you're relaxing despite learning your lines!

Happy Sunday everyone! Just came back from a little retail therapy at Macy's. That 20% coupon was burning a hole in my pocket.....;) Always need a few new clothes for vacation....:)

We are leaving for Europe 3 weeks from tomorrow, and the realization of that is freaking me out a little. I need to start pulling out clothes, our rolling duffels, and start checking items off on my packing list. Oy.

Edited by KeywestK

Mar Menor has been mentioned as a possibly place to visit whilst in Cartagena as it is a salt water lagoon sheltered by a sand bar from the Med and as a result is warmer than the Med too! As we've never been to that part of Spain before we are not familiar with it so I did some investigation.

This is a tourism site http://www.marmenor.es/english/index.php

I've been investigating the train run by "FEVE" and this site mentions that the station in Cartagena is mid way between Carrefour (I assume they are referring to the supermarket chain) and the port and it is a dedicated station not the main railway station in Cartagena as it is a narrow gauge railway.

http://www.playaparaiso.org/train.htm

The train takes 28 minutes and costs €2.40 for a return trip to Los Nietos which is mentioned on the tourism site I mentioned above.

You can see Los Nietos to the right of the map from Cartagena in betweem El Arenal and Islas Menores.

6162617371_4d95a42f0a_b.jpg

As we aren't due to dock until 11 a.m. and it is a Sunday I thought I'd check the timetables.

The trains run on an hourly basis on a Sunday and I thought as we are due to dock at 11, the first practical train would be the 12:15.

Here's the Cartagena to Los Nietos timetable taken from the FEVE website for the 30th Oct.

6162617541_fe5706bb6c_b.jpg

Here's the return timetable back to Cartagena.

6163151950_fe73a4316c_b.jpg

Looks like the last practical train back from Los Nietos would be the 4:45 p.m.

Just thought this may help if anyone was interested.

The station is across the roundabout from the main Tourism Office. It is rather concealed in a nondescript multi-storey building and nowhere near as grand as the main railway station five minutes walk away down the tree-lined Avenue De America. Look for the yellow FEVE sign.

Edited by peteukmcr

Had a wonderful visit last night and was thrilled that folks drove two hours for a two hour visit. We had name tags and all thanks to Stan the Purser. Click on the pics to make them larger! Here are two pics from the night.

491749656_Chicagolost1.jpg.7700a801592d1dda9b1e07dcb8451a87.jpg

587168092_ChicagoLost2.jpg.fd7784e8e71c5bacad81d86fab690e9d.jpg

Edited by hillcruiser74
instructions

Very interesting Peter. We have stayed (many years ago) at a timeshare resort on the La Manga strip of land. We could walk out of our apartment right onto the sand, facing inland. It was very shallow and quite a walk to get where it was deep enough to swim. It is very popular with windsurfers.

Having spent a week there but only a short visit to Cartagena itself we will probably stay in the city that day.

Corinne

Had a wonderful visit last night and was thrilled that folks drove two hours for a two hour visit. We had name tags and all thanks to Stan the Purser. Click on the pics to make them larger! Here are two pics from the night.

[ATTACH]206839[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]206840[/ATTACH]

Hillary, many thanks for sharing. Looks like everyone was having a good time.

Hilary I clicked on the photos but couldn't enlarge them.... it's always nice to get together with cruising buddies before a cruise, unfortunately none on this cruise live anywhere near us here in Arizona :(

Just clicked on the attachments and was able to enlarge....

PETE the trip sounds interesting but we will probably explore Cartegena as we have never been there.... boy you are certainly amazing for doing all the research that you do....:)

MIKE how dreadful to have so much happening in your home town....we had similar with the shootings in Tucson and the BIG dust cloud that put us in the news too.

So much still to do, we leave 4 weeks Wednesday...

The American version of X FACTOR starts Wednesday and if it is anything like the English Version it will wipe American Idol off the map...we are watching the English one now and LOVE it...so many shows starting up this week, our DVR will be working overtime ...:D

Edited by sebritish

Very interesting Peter. We have stayed (many years ago) at a timeshare resort on the La Manga strip of land. We could walk out of our apartment right onto the sand, facing inland. It was very shallow and quite a walk to get where it was deep enough to swim. It is very popular with windsurfers.

Having spent a week there but only a short visit to Cartagena itself we will probably stay in the city that day.

Corinne

Hi Corinne, we will be staying in Cartagena and having seen photos of where the ship will dock, it is just a short walk to the main promenade where you can pick up a tourist bus for €4.25 which will give you 30 - 40 minute tour of the city which suits us just fine.

http://www.cartagenapuertodeculturas.com/publicas/que_visitar/bus_turistico/_4vXzfJrWxtUELqsW9-hORQ

Not sure if this is Voyager or Adventure but it was taken in Cartagena in Dec 2010.

6163287947_96740ae0ce_b.jpg

It would appear to be just a short walk past the marina.

HI Everyone...........

Hillary thanks for posting the pictures. WE did have a great time! THANKS for putting it together.

Mike when I heard about that plane crash I have to say I sure thought about u..............

Hope U all have a great day

Good afternoon all. Hope everyone is having a pleasant Monday.

Looks like I'm on the back side of this head cold thingy. DD is mostly over it (she brought it home bless her soul), but Julie is having a tougher time with it. She went to work this morning, but turned right around and went back home. I'm not so sure is she was feeling that bad or the thought have having to work today did her in;).

Glad to hear the Chicago clan had a nice get together - thanks for the pictures!

Peter, magnificent work on the Mar Menor research. We haven't finalized Cartagena, but I like your idea of just staying around the port area and doing the local city tour.

Off to Boise tomorrow for a few days of meetings with other state fiscal officers - yawn! Oh well, a few days out of the office will be nice. Will have laptop and stupid phone with me so should be able to check in from time to time.

Have a great evening everyone!

There is a good list on the other board of things to do from 30 days out and right up until sail time. Most I have on my list but there ae a few good ideas. I could paste it here but it is pretty long. If anyone wants it they can jump the broom, so to speak, and retrieve it from the main board.

Excitement is building:p

I grabbed some hanging name badge holders from my office today. So if anyone does not have a lanyard to put their name tag on, I have quite a few. As long as it is there, might as well bring it along.

Some busy weeks coming up now. will help pass the time until the cruise.

Joyce

Ok, do we really need name tags after a year of sharing of our most intimate secrets? ;). Who needs pink boas either?;). Just in case there is any doubt, I ordered these: http://www.windycitynovelties.com/7583p/6-foot-long-led-blinking-rainbow-boas-batteries-included.html :D.

Paul Sooooo wish there was a like button :D:D

Edited by mancmatt26