What is my upgraded room

kelly3399

Cunard has just alloted me cabin 8039 from my C1 guarantee. What type of cabin is this? I think it is a balcony with an obstructed view. Am I right? My voyage over was great and will be returning soon. thank you. Kelly

Yes you are right this is a balcony cabin with a lifeboat outside. A nice upgrade from a C1 :)

I'd rather have the C-1.

They can't sell the obstructed balconies, so they use them as upgrades, most generally from insides (D) or oceanview ©.

I am not sure I'd feel upgraded in one of these cabins, balcony notwithstanding.

Somewhere on the Cunard site there are photos of the views from each of the obstructed balconies. It's one of those pages that others find and post here but I've never figured out how to navigate to within the Cunard site.

I'd rather have the C-1.

They can't sell the obstructed balconies, so they use them as upgrades, most generally from insides (D) or oceanview ©.

I am not sure I'd feel upgraded in one of these cabins, balcony notwithstanding.

I agree, I walked past an A4 last week as the steward was servicing the cabin and glanced through the open door, there was this enormous lump of orange outside the balcony door. It was really intrusive and whilst fresh air is available it would really spoil my enjoyment.

Somewhere on the Cunard site there are photos of the views from each of the obstructed balconies. It's one of those pages that others find and post here but I've never figured out how to navigate to within the Cunard site.

Hi, Underwatr.

The photos of obstructed view balconies (such as the link to stateroom 8040 I listed in post #3 above) are found on the web site "ask.cunard.com".

From that site, type "obstructed" in the "Ask a question" field. The first three results returned should be as follows.

What do the obstructed views look like on Queen Elizabeth?

What do the obstructed views look like on Queen Mary 2?

What do the obstructed views look like on Queen Victoria?

Alternatively, select the question category "Obstructed Views" within "Meet the Fleet" to obtain these results.

Regards,

John.

I selected 8014 for my TA next year... I thought it looked the best of the bunch to be honest...

It may do, but what a bunch :eek::eek:. It really depends how badly you want to be on that deck, when that cabin is more expensive that an in hull balcony lower down in the ship I don't understand why anyone would choose it.

It may do, but what a bunch :eek::eek:. It really depends how badly you want to be on that deck, when that cabin is more expensive that an in hull balcony lower down in the ship I don't understand why anyone would choose it.

Capn, I quite agree with you that an in hull balcony is vastly preferable to any of the obstructed open balconies. Even the A3 cabins on Deck 8 have issues. A2 on Deck 11 is my preference for an open balcony; Deck 5 for a sheltered balcony.

Enjoyed your posts and glad you enjoyed dining at John Duffy's table. Have known him for years and dine at his table often. He is a most genial and classy officer.

Bobby

The general commentary on upgrades to A4 obstructed view balconies seems to be, "I wanted an upgrade but not that upgrade!"

As I understand the "C" category, they are porthole staterooms so even an obstructed view balcony is going to represent more space and a far better view than a porthole - and at a C1 price.

As for the "B" sheltered balconies, I guess the only thing one can do is mark the reservation "do no upgrade" if one doesn't want to be moved from a B1 to an A4.

We have been upgraded from an inside to one of those cabins on deck 8 on three TA's. The last time on our recent EB TA in July. While I agree that the big orange lump outside the window is not pretty I think that on a TA the extra room and the natural light are worth the visual . Trying to have a room service meal in an inside cabin when there are two of you is not an elegant experience.

If it were other than a TA it might be less attractive but to be honest I don't actually mind those cabins as long as I'm not paying the price asked for them.

An Easily-pleased Gari

We have been upgraded from an inside to one of those cabins on deck 8 on three TA's. The last time on our recent EB TA in July. While I agree that the big orange lump outside the window is not pretty I think that on a TA the extra room and the natural light are worth the visual . Trying to have a room service meal in an inside cabin when there are two of you is not an elegant experience.

If it were other than a TA it might be less attractive but to be honest I don't actually mind those cabins as long as I'm not paying the price asked for them.

An Easily-pleased Gari

I agree I've got one for a 5 day trip next year been to all the ports so not to concerned about view.

Also the price I was quoted was heavily discounted (should I say cheaper than the B categories) because of lack of view.

As its my birthday on board very close to Todd English to stumble home! along the same corrider. So there are advantages.

Carl

I got a much cheaper industry rate on the A4 than what I would have been able to get on the Sheltered balcony, probably because no one wants them! :D

But, I am pretty pleased with it for the price I have paid... And I guess that is the most important thing?

I got a much cheaper industry rate on the A4 than what I would have been able to get on the Sheltered balcony, probably because no one wants them! :D

But, I am pretty pleased with it for the price I have paid... And I guess that is the most important thing?

True :)

Archived