Fake Rolex

oxbowlakeMI

Well....back in about 1988 or so, a co-worker took a trip to China and brought back fake Rolexes for all of us in our little "travel group". Mine had the gold face. We thought they were great! We all knew they were fake, but wore them anyway. Good fun! Wore them on our yearly cruises as well! It lasted for about 5 years. Loved it! (I only do Seikos now.)

In 2005, another co-worker (different State, different job), showed up with big boxes of fake LV purses and fake DVD movies. Sold them out of the trunk of her car! Apparently, she got them from a "relative" in NYC. This must have been about the time the crack-down on fakes began. I actually bought a purse and sent it to my daughter with a note saying, "Here's a fake purse for your fake birthday!". Lots of co-workers carrying these purses around for, like, six months....when they all fell apart!:D

Ya gotta love government bureaucrats!

What's your point, lysolqn? Trademark & copyright laws shouldn't be enforced? The laws that protect consumers from fake Rolexes are the same ones that protect them from fake prescription medicines.

For the OP, you shouldn't be able to find a fake Rolex in St. Thomas, as it is part of the US, and therefore subject to those pesky trademark & copyright laws. ;)

A couple of years ago we were in downtown Cozumel shopping.

While in a jewelry store a salesman said to a few of us that he had Rolex’s for $100 and gave a wink.

They guy next to me, who I didn’t know, took one look at the watch and said, with a heavy Brooklyn accent. “I can buy this same knockoff on any street corner in NYC for $10, why the hell should I give you $100?” and walked out.

My wife and I had to leave the store we were laughing so hard.:p

I guy I work with is married to a woman from China. He says that he bought Rolex knockoffs there for $5 or $6 bucks.

Just curious, does the "may" in that quote mean that the customs official must let it in? Or does it give him/her the discretion to confiscate/destroy it? Sounds kind of vague to me.

Question for the ladies: Would you prefer to be seen with a guy with a fake Rolex or with a guy with a real Timex (a nice one of course).

I work in enforcement the the difference between "may" and "shall" is huge. May denotes there is descretion.

On our first cruise one of the friends we made on board bought a fake rolex (knowingly) in the Straw Market of Nassau.

He crossed the street to show us his prize.... and the clasp broke. LMAO :rolleyes:

Money wasted if I ever heard of it, but good for a laugh at his expense. :p

There are fake ones and fake ones of fake ones. What were you looking at the fake of the fake for 6 bucks or the fake that weighs the same, has mechanical movement and is waterresistant to 100M :D

A couple of years ago we were in downtown Cozumel shopping.

While in a jewelry store a salesman said to a few of us that he had Rolex’s for $100 and gave a wink.

They guy next to me, who I didn’t know, took one look at the watch and said, with a heavy Brooklyn accent. “I can buy this same knockoff on any street corner in NYC for $10, why the hell should I give you $100?” and walked out.

My wife and I had to leave the store we were laughing so hard.:p

I guy I work with is married to a woman from China. He says that he bought Rolex knockoffs there for $5 or $6 bucks.

There are fake ones and fake ones of fake ones. What were you looking at the fake of the fake for 6 bucks or the fake that weighs the same, has mechanical movement and is waterresistant to 100M :D

Ah! Clarification of the definition of a 'genuine fake' perhaps?!?! :p

Ah! Clarification of the definition of a 'genuine fake' perhaps?!?! :p

As has been pointed out, some replica watches (better term to describe them perhaps than fake?), are actually pretty good quality with a mechanical movement, and fine details to fool all but an expert. These are not five dollar watches, more like a hundred or two......still a fraction of what the real one sells for.

You can readily find these for sale on several 'reputable' internet watch sites.

I know someone who has a "replica " rolex

It is so good that it does not need a battery..

It winds by movement like the real ones..

It is the best fake Ive ever seen and he's had it for 4 yrs and its still mint..

The giveaway is the magnifiyer is supposed to magnify 1.5 x .. This one is but a pc of glass with no mag..

I wonder why they would go to all that trouble to fake it , then skimp out on the glass pc??

Anyway.....to answer the OP's question.....in St Thomas the open air vendor's market at the very fringe of the main downtown area has many stalls offering knock-off watches, pocket books, etc as well as T-shirts, and assorted souviners. I was not in the market for one, so I didn't spend any time looking at the watches, but there were several tables of them, so I'd bet there would be a "Rolex" among them. We were there on a Jan/Feb cruise this past winter.

What's your point, lysolqn? Trademark & copyright laws shouldn't be enforced? The laws that protect consumers from fake Rolexes are the same ones that protect them from fake prescription medicines.

Hold the fire; you clearly missed the irony in my post. Of course trademark and copyright laws should be enforced, and those holding trademarks and copyrights should be protected - not some of the time but all of the time. My point is that only government bureaucrats can pass laws making something illegal (the importation of goods that violate trademark and copyright law) and then tag on ridiculous exceptions making the previously stated illegality perfectly legal under certain circumstances (allowing the importation of one of each category of bogus goods, provided they're for personal use and not for sale). I support the law 100% but the exception is nothing short of absurd, which is exactly what I've come to expect from bureaucrats. Thus my tongue planted firmly in cheek remark, the intent of which you misunderstood.

I know someone who has a "replica " rolex

It is so good that it does not need a battery..

It winds by movement like the real ones..

It is the best fake Ive ever seen and he's had it for 4 yrs and its still mint..

The giveaway is the magnifiyer is supposed to magnify 1.5 x .. This one is but a pc of glass with no mag..

I wonder why they would go to all that trouble to fake it , then skimp out on the glass pc??

Was it built and sold as a replica, or a counterfeit? Not the same thing.

Archived