Fake Rolex

oxbowlakeMI

My DS really needed a pair of sunglasses (we were in Kusadasi, the sun is VERY bright there) as he'd broken or lost, can't remember which, the pair he'd brought. The only place he could buy from was one of the stalls, so he 'had to' settle for some fake Diesel ones! I'm sure that would have counted as personal use (I think UK is similar law to US on this one, Italy is draconian - if understandably as they had major problems with knock-offs devaluing the 'real' products) as by the time he was on the way home they were scratched and battered and damaged in a way only a 15 year old boy could manage!

Hi all, I will be traveling on the Ruby Princess in January, does anyone know if I can get a fake rolex in St Thomas, St Maarten or Grank Turk? My 13 year old stepson would like one.

Thanks!

oxbowlakeMI...everyone here is correct regarding the fake Rolex. Perhaps your idea was simply to buy it for fun. I have purchased a few fake Rolexes from Eygpt, Turkey, China, and Vietnam. The sellers knew they were fakes, I knew they were fakes, all my relatives knew they were fakes...but it was all for fun. In the Caribbean, fake Rolexes are a bit more difficult to find...you can get lucky and someone will approach you on the street or on the beach. But they will not be prominently displayed.

In Vietnam, the price started at $110 each. I smiled and jokingly told the guy...$1! He said no, and I walked away. The ship was about to sail. He yelled and called me back, and in broken english said:..."Ok! ok!...I give you good deal". I said: "I'll take two, one for me and one for my wife...$10. He agreed with a smile. It was fun.

Note: All the fake Rolexes have stopped working except for the one we purchased in China...better battery I suppose. :)

a warning to be careful in Italy. Its illegal there to possess fake copyrighted material. but they don't fine the local selling to you. They fine YOU a couple of hundred dollars....

The Italian authorities are smart -- they know that the illegal immigrant from Libya hasn't got the assets to pay a worthwhile fine (and will just cost the state money if arrested and held for deportation), while the American tourist has plenty to pay the fine (and will gladly do so to avoid being arrested).

Hi all, I will be traveling on the Ruby Princess in January, does anyone know if I can get a fake rolex in St Thomas, St Maarten or Grank Turk? My 13 year old stepson would like one.

Thanks!

I've never seen those fakes in the Caribbean. Fake purses, yes, but I've never seen the fake Rolex. If you want those you have to go to Hong Kong or Bangkok.

BTW many of the "fakes" are made by the same slave labor that makes the real ones...is it ok for the company that sells the real one to make a 10,000 percent mark up because of the trade mark? But that is another discussion for another time(generics vs branded)...

Which I why I no longer buy Coach bags, or anything else made in China if I can find an alternative. And I usually do find an alternative.

A real Timex- and that's coming from a real Rolex owner. If someone is willing to buy a product that infringes on patent rights, made by slave labor in a country that does not tolerate any religion that's not the official government version, he does not share my values.
And where do you think your real Timex (or any other item of consumer electronics you may own) was made?

At least MY Fake Rolex was made in Hong Kong before the handover. So there - morally I'm above you. ;)

Not really relevant to the OP - sorry! - but we have a fabulous photo of my son who had, out of necessity not fashion, just bought a pair of sunglasses. Next to him is a big printed sign, announcing 'GENUINE FAKES' - which sort of begs the question about fake fakes, dont you think :confused:

If you got a fake fake, wouldn't it be genuine? Double negative and all.

If I know the difference between fakes and reals don't you think they know? You pay on the value of the item. A fake isn't worth much. But I remind people its illegal to buy a quantity back and try to resell them. I have seen customs take away multiple different handbags and tell the traveler to pick one....

BTW many of the "fakes" are made by the same slave labor that makes the real ones...is it ok for the company that sells the real one to make a 10,000 percent mark up because of the trade mark? But that is another discussion for another time(generics vs branded)...

Almost anyone can be fooled by a well made counterfeit. The bad ones are certainly easy to tell. I have personally seen Movados that a jeweler could not tell they were fakes until he opened them up and inspected the movements.

But of course, you won't find a counterfeit like that on the sidewalk under a banner that says "replica watches" either......

I personally don't know if Rolex and Movado use slave labor. I guess I could go run to google, but I'm not worried about it.

FWIW on my last caribbean cruise I was wearing a rolex ( real for those that are wondering). When I was going thru customs the guy took a looong look at it. It was all scratched up from a few years of use. I'm sure if it was shiny there would have been questions and I'm sure they would have given me the bill for not declaring it :D

Or if I claimed it was fake, than who knows :eek:

I've actually traveled a bit in the far east and though that isn't the only place one can pick up a $20 fake, or $100 fake. The $100 fake is actually pretty dam good. The submariner weighs very very similar, the band is very well made and its a mechanical movement too. It also survived a few years of use.

Yeah I got a real one and a fake one, it was too cool not to get one :o

Thanks!

918579149_0910_Genuine_SouveniorsinKusadasi.jpg.f2c3587bb36693e85050b798eda71210.jpg

a warning to be careful in Italy. Its illegal there to possess fake copyrighted material. but they don't fine the local selling to you. They fine YOU a couple of hundred dollars....

I wasn't tempted at all. I never could see the point in buying fakes.

There used to be tons of fake designer watches, handbags, scarves etc sold in Flea Markets all over the place including Swap Shop near FLL. I think most of them have been cleaned up and there were lots of arrests. I haven't been to a Flea Market in years but don't expect I'd see any copies there now.

Interesting.. where do most of your clothes, electronics, cell phone, computer, router, and about everything else you bought in the last couple years come from.. very very interested :D

A lot more than coach is made in China real or not ;)

Which I why I no longer buy Coach bags, or anything else made in China if I can find an alternative. And I usually do find an alternative.

However, travelers arriving in the United States may be permitted an exemption and allowed to import one article of each type, which must accompany the person, bearing a counterfeit, confusingly similar or restricted gray market trademark, provided that the article is for personal use and is not for sale.

Ya gotta love government bureaucrats!

Interesting.. where do most of your clothes, electronics, cell phone, computer, router, and about everything else you bought in the last couple years come from.. very very interested :D

A lot more than coach is made in China real or not ;)

All you can do is check the tags and do the best you can. Beats shrugging your shoulders and buying the cheapest thing available, unless someone has no alternative I suppose.

All you can do is check the tags and do the best you can. Beats shrugging your shoulders and buying the cheapest thing available, unless someone has no alternative I suppose.

I'm getting pretty good at it other than small electronics. Purses, shoes, belts bought in Europe or at least made in Europe. Many kitchen goods made in Europe- check Williams-Sonoma. Chico's has many clothes made in US although they do have a lot made in China. Google searches turned up a US-made computer bag and other items. My business clothes are ordered through a tailor in town and made in workrooms in Chicago. Gave up on getting a non-Chinese bathrobe for my husband after checking 6 stores and made him one on my good ol' sewing machine. (Fabric not made in China.)

At this point, it's almost fun to track down US-based suppliers of things.

Sorry for the tangent- I feel very strongly about this topic and wanted to provide some resources for those who feel similarly.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my question, point taken. Sorry.

Don't worry about it. A lot of times answers on these boards will bring up points that we, by ourselves, may not have considered. Some may be a little rougher in their opinions than others but on the whole everyone means well.

Some may be a little rougher in their opinions than others but on the whole everyone means well.

Yeah, my posts are usually tactful and I choose my words carefully, but this subject is one of my hot buttons. And, being the mother of a now 27-year old son, I can see how a 13-year old boy would want a fake Rolex!

Archived