Honeymoon Cruise! Im 22, my wife will be 20.

pknutson

First of all, hearty congratulations on your upcoming wedding and I hope you have a fantastic cruise honeymoon, and I sincerely mean that. :)

I ask this, because we will be married and I will be over 21. We will definitely have our wedding certificate with us. So that is why I am asking. I don't support underage drinking , but with us being married, will it be a problem for her to drink?

What is happening here is this: you are looking for a loophole that doesn't exist. You want to be assured that your underage wife will not have a problem consuming alcohol on your honeymoon. The very plain and unarguable truth is, she cannot legally do so. An unmarried woman of 20 and a married woman of 20 are still under the legal age of consent to drink alcohol. Right?

Obviously what you do in private is your business, but please do not come here asking us for advice on how to help you break the law. OK?

Just checked with our travel agent and everything is good to go as long as we have marriage certificate!

If your travel agent is telling you its ok, then its time for you to find a new travel agent that knows that American owned ships sailing from American ports follow American laws when it comes to drinking. Your travel agent is giving you wrong information. That being said, it is not impossible for your wife to drink on the ship, but it is against the rules and the laws as she is under 21 and if caught you do have the possibility of being thrown off the ship at the next port of call and have to find your own way back home.

While it is true she can't order or legally drink, let's be realistic here. If you order two drinks, and being a married couple, obviously on a couples vacation, will anyone bother to card her - especially if you order on YOUR card - probably not. But be prepared to have then say no, or if caught to be reprimanded...big deal. I would say you can order what you want in your room - who is to know?

I too do not encourage or promote underage drinking, but as that wasn't your question I feel no reason to beat you up over it :)

If your travel agent is telling you its ok, then its time for you to find a new travel agent...

I'm thinking his reply refers to post #5 which was refering to the fact that they will be newly married and underage for the cabin policy, not the alcohol policy (which is also being discussed, but post #5 took the thread off course momentarily).

I'm thinking his reply refers to post #5 which was refering to the fact that they will be newly married and underage for the cabin policy, not the alcohol policy (which is also being discussed, but post #5 took the thread off course momentarily).

Ahhhhh, ok, I guess thats what I get for staying on topic :D next time I will think more off topic in order to give correct information for an off topic post ;)

I wonder if you can order 2 drinks on your card...

Or maybe you can sign a release form - I know somebody who did that on another cruise line for their 18-year-old son (no, not me)

If it was me, I would call the cruise line and ask them how to resolve this issue (not IF she can drink, but HOW she can)

I would go that way 2 drinks on one card

Just checked with our travel agent and everything is good to go as long as we have marriage certificate!

Since her ID won't be in her married name make sure her passport/BC&DL match the name on your booking. Just confirm with your TA.

Don't know how it works in Texas, but when I got married we didn't get a notarized copy of the marriage certificate until a week or so later.

Seeing as how there's no way her last name can be legally changed the day after your wedding, why didn't you just book with her maiden name? That's the name that should be on her ID, birth certificate and drivers license.

If you're so concerned about her being able to drink, just order from Bon Voyage or smuggle your booze on like everyone else.

Howdy,

I am getting married Aug. 20, 2011 (10 days!!) and we are leaving Aug. 21, 2011 on Carnival Conquest. We are taking a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise to the Bahamas and Florida!

Question: What suggestions do y'all have for me and my future wife, in regards to her drinking alcohol on the ship? Will it be a problem for her to drink at the dinners? Will we be able to have room service deliver alcohol? What about the bars?

I believe she can drink legally in the Bahamas. I saw a sign that said you must be 18 to drink alcohol on some ones review.

If your travel agent is telling you its ok, then its time for you to find a new travel agent that knows that American owned ships sailing from American ports follow American laws when it comes to drinking. Your travel agent is giving you wrong information. That being said, it is not impossible for your wife to drink on the ship, but it is against the rules and the laws as she is under 21 and if caught you do have the possibility of being thrown off the ship at the next port of call and have to find your own way back home.

I wasn't saying this in regards to the alcohol. I was saying this in regards to being able to have her on the ship, period since she is a minor. But in the policy it states something about being married and that being a different story as far as getting on the ship. The travel agent did not have any advice about the alcohol question.

Don't know how it works in Texas, but when I got married we didn't get a notarized copy of the marriage certificate until a week or so later.

Seeing as how there's no way her last name can be legally changed the day after your wedding, why didn't you just book with her maiden name? That's the name that should be on her ID, birth certificate and drivers license.

If you're so concerned about her being able to drink, just order from Bon Voyage or smuggle your booze on like everyone else.

She is booked under her maiden name. We did that for the very reasons you just said. So no worries

While it is true she can't order or legally drink, let's be realistic here. If you order two drinks, and being a married couple, obviously on a couples vacation, will anyone bother to card her - especially if you order on YOUR card - probably not. But be prepared to have then say no, or if caught to be reprimanded...big deal. I would say you can order what you want in your room - who is to know?

I too do not encourage or promote underage drinking, but as that wasn't your question I feel no reason to beat you up over it :)

Thank you! And thanks everyone for the advice, harsh or not, I appreciate it.

When you booked your cruise .. you agreed to something that everybody says they READ but actually very few do ...

It is called a Cruise Ticket Contract

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_84

Refer to Section 8 sub F

Guest acknowledges that the minimum age permitted for the purchase, possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages aboard Carnival's vessels is twenty-one (21). Guest agrees to supervise all persons under age twenty-one (21) under Guest's charge to insure that they do not violate this, or any other, shipboard regulation. Guests who attempt to purchase alcohol by using false identification or the Sail & Sign card of a Guest who is twenty-one or older will be deemed in violation of this policy. Any Guest twenty-one or older who attempts to or purchases alcohol for any guest under twenty-one will also be deemed in violation of this policy. Guest agrees that Carnival has the right to disembark any guest who violates this policy and as well as any adults traveling with minors who violate this policy or any other shipboard regulation.

On that note ... your new bride will be able to drink when visiting your ports of call .... Just not on the ship.

Why start off your wonderful life together with the possibility of a disaster that could cost you in the long run.

Example being .. you get put off the ship, do you have passports? if not you will have some if you get put off after you pay for passports, meals, hotels and airfare home after waiting maybe 4-5 days for this to happen.:eek:

Archived