Currency - French Polynesia

SilvertoGold

Our ports will be Raiatea, Bora Bora, Moorea, Papeete and Nuka Hiva.

Can we use USD for small purchases anywhere? Local market, small shops would be where we would be browsing.

I am thinking about $15 per port for a few postcards or small souvenir. Not buying anything expensive so not worried about getting a terrible exchange for the USD.

Thanks in advance for sharing any experience you may have had.

Our ports will be Raiatea, Bora Bora, Moorea, Papeete and Nuka Hiva.

Can we use USD for small purchases anywhere? Local market, small shops would be where we would be browsing.

I am thinking about $15 per port for a few postcards or small souvenir. Not buying anything expensive so not worried about getting a terrible exchange for the USD.

Thanks in advance for sharing any experience you may have had.

As a word of advice: Figure on what you're (guess)timating to average on spending in each port and multiply it by 2.5 to 3 (for basic souvenirs -- IE. caps $20-$25/T-shirts $25-$30).

The cost of everyday goods and services is considerably higher in FP than what one may be used to in the states(and even Hawaii).

While some merchants/tour guides do accept dollars I would not count on most shops/markets to accept USD for smaller purchases...It's best to hit up one of the ATM machines in Papeete (right near the port) -- Or if Tahiti is not one's 1st port of call in FP - Even exchanging some currency while on the ship at the purser's desk would be advised.

A cruiser I know who has been to Tahiti, Bora Bora, Moorea many times said there is no problem using USD in those ports. But XPFs are probebly needed fior smaller ports.

I used USD in Le Marche with no problems a couple of years ago. I made a purchase of nearly $100 on Raiatea and used a credit card with no difficulty. I did not attempt to use cash there.

A cruiser I know who has been to Tahiti, Bora Bora, Moorea many times said there is no problem using USD in those ports. But XPFs are probebly needed fior smaller ports.

I used USD in Le Marche with no problems a couple of years ago. I made a purchase of nearly $100 on Raiatea and used a credit card with no difficulty. I did not attempt to use cash there.

Great info: thanks. Just what I wanted to know!

Been there on five vactions and don't count on using USD except in major hotels to pay your bill at a very bad exchange rate.

This fall will be out 10th visit to Tahiti (by cruise ships), and except for our very first visit back in the early 90's, we have never had to exchange currency and always used USD. This is for port stops, tours and trinkets purchased. Pre or post cruise hotel stays can be a bit different if you don't plan to use a credit card. ;)

This fall will be out 10th visit to Tahiti (by cruise ships), and except for our very first visit back in the early 90's, we have never had to exchange currency and always used USD. This is for port stops, tours and trinkets purchased. Pre or post cruise hotel stays can be a bit different if you don't plan to use a credit card. ;)

I am wondering why there is such a difference in experiences here. A few trinkets probably from a market, maybe some flowers, a few postcards is what I would appreciate being able to us USD for.

Thanks!

We don't intend to take any USD to FP at all. We always try to use the currency of whatever country we are going to - it doesn't make sense to expect to buy items around the world with USD.

We ordered some XPF from our bank, it arrived within a few days - and although the rate was not the best, it will be nice to get to the islands and have some currency rather than scrambling when we first land to try and track down an ATM. It is our experience that ATMs do give the best rates when travelling so at some point within our first few hours in Tahiti, we will find one and withdraw cash.

I am wondering why there is such a difference in experiences here. A few trinkets probably from a market, maybe some flowers, a few postcards is what I would appreciate being able to us USD for.

Thanks!

Any of the vendors by the piers, and those at Le Marche will accept USD. In fact, most now have their products marked in both prices (we just returned in March and are going back to Tahiti on the Sapphire Princess this coming October). Flowers you would find at LeMarche in Papeete (the best selection), around $20-$25 USD for a gorgeous arrangement. If you aren't going off the beaten track or staying at a hotel, there really is no worry about only carrying USD with you, it will be accepted without problems. We haven't exchanged USD for XPF's since the early 90's unless we are doing a pre or post cruise stay. ;)

Any of the vendors by the piers, and those at Le Marche will accept USD. In fact, most now have their products marked in both prices (we just returned in March and are going back to Tahiti on the Sapphire Princess this coming October). Flowers you would find at LeMarche in Papeete (the best selection), around $20-$25 USD for a gorgeous arrangement. If you aren't going off the beaten track or staying at a hotel, there really is no worry about only carrying USD with you, it will be accepted without problems. We haven't exchanged USD for XPF's since the early 90's unless we are doing a pre or post cruise stay. ;)

I have not yet been to FP, but we are taking a 14 day cruise that includes the Society Islands and Marquesas Islands in 2012. From what I have read in some travel guides, US Dollars are not readily accepted in some of the Marquesas Islands. Perhaps that information is now dated---I know there is often a significant lag between the time travel guides are actually written and printed.

I have not yet been to FP, but we are taking a 14 day cruise that includes the Society Islands and Marquesas Islands in 2012. From what I have read in some travel guides, US Dollars are not readily accepted in some of the Marquesas Islands. Perhaps that information is now dated---I know there is often a significant lag between the time travel guides are actually written and printed.

Sorry, but I have no idea about the Marquesas, I was answering the original question about the main islands the OP of this thread is visiting around Papeete, Raiatea, Bora Bora, Moorea, Papeete.

Toto2Kansas

Thanks very much for your info. I really appreciate your experience.

Do you remember if LeMarche sells anything in the way of small flower arrangements? We won't have much room, so would be looking for something compact.

Have a great cruise in October!

Toto2Kansas

Thanks very much for your info. I really appreciate your experience.

Do you remember if LeMarche sells anything in the way of small flower arrangements? We won't have much room, so would be looking for something compact.

Have a great cruise in October!

Most are rather large, but they also have loose flowers you can purchase. You might enquire if they would make you up a smaller arrangement if there aren't any to suit your needs on display. Have a delightful time, as I know you will. ;)

I remember being able to use both but I did buy some of their currency prior to the cruise from Wells Fargo Currency exchange online. I have used them many times and they are great. They will Fedex straight to your door and the exchange rates aren't bad. I ordered Euros at the same time to get free shipping.

Will the taxi drivers accept USD from airport to the port?

If memory serves me correctly, taxis will not accept USD. But, you can exchange what you think you will need for the taxi fare after you arrive at the airport. I seem to remember that many taxis also took credit cards, but I could be mistaken on this one. Hopefully someone who has taken a taxi recently can remember if they did or did not accept credit cards.

Thank you Toto, you are a wealth of information!

Is taking a taxi the best way to get to the ferry port? or?

Thanks again for all your replies.

Are you asking from the ship to the ferry, or from the airport to the ferry? The ferry terminal is right next to where the ships dock, so if you are headed say to Moorea after your cruise, you won't need a taxi for that, as you can walk right across the pavillion area to the ferry and roll your luggage right with you, it isn't far at all.

If you are coming from the airport with luggage to either the ship or the ferry, yes, a taxi or ships transfer would be my only suggestion. Enjoy!

You're welcome! Enjoy the trip - you are going to a beautiful area of the world!

Thanks. Having been to Hawaii many times, we are really looking forward to our first cruise to the South Pacific.

Your 45 day Massdam cruise is on our list for the future: a nice cool-weather cruise! Have a great time.

Archived