Anyone here currently on MediFast?

Robin122

I'm stoked this morning. Today starts week no. 4 on the Medifast plan, and I started the diet plan about 5 days before that. Total weight loss up to this morning: 21 pounds. I almost don't believe it. Hope y'all are major LOSERS, too!!!

H

Any of you end up ever "skipping" that fifth and final MF meal in the evening? A couple of nights, the days had been so busy and hectic that I ended up with late "meal schedule" and by the time I had my L+G, it was just about too late (and I wasn't hungry after dinner) for that last meal so I skipped it.... still am dropping pounds.... ya think it's the end of the world if that last meal isn't eaten? I have to admit that not all my L+Gs are perfectly weighed out so I'm probably getting a bit more than I should.

?????

H

Hap DON'T SKIP. Think of it this way - those 5 meals are properly balanced. You're not eating 20% of what they want you to eat from the MF meals. That's a lot of calories/fat/carbs that you actually need for your body to function. Skipping every once in awhile is one thing, but don't make a habit of it. You won't have enough calories (or carbs!) so your body would rebel!

Congrats to all you losers out there! That's aware! So glad the plan is working for you. This past week has been awful. I've been out to dinner 4 times....how does one stick to a plan sitting @ a table full of appetizers? And things were going so well. Oh well..I just don't know now. Two weeks gone to waste

Sent from my ADR6400L using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Get back on the horse, Karen!!! It only takes about 2-3 days to get back into Ketosis and keep drinking that water!!! You can do it.... when everyone's eating those apps, just order up some celery sticks.....

Come on now!!!!

....and the sad part Hap is you're right. I can't five on so easy. I do fine until I eat out. But I can't isolate myself...especially work related. This weekend is my long weekend...32 hours. And I have been back on the horse today. Bit when I ate that forbidden meal all I could think about was all those days of ketosis gone sown the drain. Now 5-6 more days before I start losing again. My fault!:mad:

....and the sad part Hap is you're right. I can't five on so easy. I do fine until I eat out. But I can't isolate myself...especially work related. This weekend is my long weekend...32 hours. And I have been back on the horse today. Bit when I ate that forbidden meal all I could think about was all those days of ketosis gone sown the drain. Now 5-6 more days before I start losing again. My fault!:mad:

Hi Karen,

Just wanted to pop in and give some support....

I hope you are back on program.

I know the temptations......I have been on since mid-April and am still on a plateau right now and would really like to have a nice BIG glass of wine and say to heck with it all......BUT....I am not going to do that!

I do know this....you could put me on a deserted island with no food for a month and I would be the last survivor because this body doesn't like to give up any weight! :eek::rolleyes: Very frustrating! :mad:

Anyway....what I do if I am going to go out to eat (and I really don't like to on this program) but, I will study the menu ahead of time - if I can find one posted online and decide ahead what I am going to order. Most every restaurant these days has some kind of entree salad with grilled chicken or grilled salmon. I will order that or an entree that is grilled....like salmon, chicken, small filet and have steamed veggies and side salad. You could eat your side salad while the rest of them pig out on appetizers.

Edited to add: Salad dressing...balsamic vinagrette on the side!

Hang in there and come back and tell us how you are doing. :)

Edited by crabcreeker

Karen - get back on the horse now. Not tonight, tomorrow, next week. NOW. Because you're right - you blew it and don't want any more time to go by.

I think we all realize how hard it is - if we didn't, we wouldn't be overweight in the first place! But don't let all your hard work go.

You said you HAVE to go out to eat - don't be afraid to ask for a grilled chicken breast or grilled pork chops or plain steak. If they serve any of these items covered in sauces or creams, they WILL cook them plain for you.

Only you can make the decisions but don't let your work thusfar be ruined. GOOD LUCK KAREN!!!!

I started MediFast about 4 weeks ago and I've lost 25lbs. There are days that it is more difficult than others. I tend to do really well during the week at work...I just throw 5 in my purse and go....but on the weekend I tend to struggle more. I've "cheated" a few times...once really bad. Good to know that McDonalds will now make me puke :eek:

Suggestions: Add a little extra water and a splash of skim milk to the ice and Chocolate Mint Soft Serve and it turns into a really thick shake.

Add only about 2 1/2 oz of water to the the Chocolate Pudding and whip with a whisk...it turns out just like whipped frosting on a cake.

Soak all soups and oatmeal overnight to rehydrate...tastes 100% better when you do.

Ok... I'm going to be a little controversial here, but I'm an exerciser a few times a week -- albeit a chunky one -- even before I started Medifast. So when I started Medifast about a month ago, I cut back a lot in the exercise per the Medifast guidelines till about two weeks ago, when I've now started up my BodyPump classes about twice a week and another 1-hour exercise class thrown in during the week, time permitting. So I was doing some MF web surfing for some research and came across the idea of having an "extra meal" for the workout days, and decided to make that extra meal a double shake promptly before I went to the gym. Well, the weight kinda stalled out for several days, and most likely due to the fact of burning about 300-500 calories per exercise session and only taking in, what, 1000-1100 calories a day? So I think that might be the body's "rebellion" from what I've read in that it realizes it needs those calories that just aren't there.

So then I came across some more information about upping the protein levels in the Lean and Green meals, and now that's what I've been doing for the past week or so on exercise days, especially the Body Pump days, because that class is pretty strenuous, albeit only an hour long. I've even taken a tablespoonful of -- wait for it -- organic PEANUT BUTTER; the REAL deal -- after a workout. GOD, was it GOOD!!!!! Even an occasional handful of "unauthorized" raw almonds LOL. Plus not weighing out my protein for the L+G on those days, either, and taking a nice sized portion of whatever it is I'm making and not weighing out the veg part, either... not stuffing myself by any means, but a nice big portion of both.

Lo and behold, the weight is traveling south now at a slightly quicker pace than it was. So just wanted to put this out there for some of you that I know like to exercise, but weren't sure how it was going to go. The way I figure it is I'll know I'm eating too much if the weight stalls again or it inches up. Call it "cheating," but I don't think it is. Not saying that we can just do what we want and how we want to do it; but this is advice that comes even from Nutrition Support at Medifast for this type of situation, too. And as long as the weight travels in the right direction, no harm, no foul; right?

Cheers... Hap

Edited by hapster222

I definitely think more protein when you workout is a smart idea. I don't like not weighing and measuring your foods because for me, that starts a slippery slope. You can do 4+2 so you get 2 meals of L&G and 4 MF meals. Still good for you and although a little more caloires so not fat burning, you still lose.

Check your organic PB for sugar - even "natural" and "organic' contain sugar - I know Kirkland brand natural PB has no sugar - just peanuts and salt.

If it's working Hap, that's awesome. I can't switch it up too much - opens up those windows I don't want to open quite yet :)

Edited by youngestof9

Nah, I meant just peanuts and salt.. Trader Joe's brand..... And was wondering by your "but not fat burning" comment if the calorie intake is increased.... not understanding what you're saying... I thought one was in the "fat-burning" state as long as the carbs are kept at a minimum -- enough that the fat stores were being burnt due to the lack of carbs coming in.

????

Hap

Nah, I meant just peanuts and salt.. Trader Joe's brand..... And was wondering by your "but not fat burning" comment if the calorie intake is increased.... not understanding what you're saying... I thought one was in the "fat-burning" state as long as the carbs are kept at a minimum -- enough that the fat stores were being burnt due to the lack of carbs coming in.

????

Hap

Yeah, from what I read on nutrition support if you do the 4+2 it's not based on the fat-burning state. I don't remember why - might because the calorie intake is over 1000 (even though you're burning off). Not sure!!

Hey Hap - I was confused (not surprisingly LOL!!)

Here's an answer I found about more intense exercise - interesting to note that she said you should continue the plan even on days you don't work out for consistency.

Thanks for your post. My name is Meridith, a Registered Dietitian for Nutrition Support. Exercise is an excellent habit to form, that will help you maintain a healthy weight and promote a healthy body throughout your life. Definitely keep up your exercise!

With that being said, on the 5&1, we do recommend limiting your exercise to 45mintues/day. This is due to the low caloric intake (800-1000 calories/day) and our desire to see you succeed. Excercising more than 45 minutes a day, with a caloric intake of 800-1000, it is likely that your body will go into a "starvation mode." In which, your body will hold onto nutrients instead of burning them for energy-so in some cases, weight GAIN will occur.

If you are more comfortable on the 5&1, then I would suggest decreasing your activity to 45 minutes a day. However, if you have already built up a routine such as you described, then I would encourage you to do a 4&2. The 4&2 is still a fat burning plan (meaning your carbohydrates are still limited to 80-100g/day) however it provides sufficient calories to allow you to exercise more than 45 minutes/day.

Regardless of whether you choose to do the 5&1 (with 45 mins of exercise) or the 4&2 (more than 45 minutes of exercise), we suggest you follow the same plan consistently-not just on the days you work out. So if you workout 5 days a week for 1 hour, you should be on the 4&2 everyday (7 days/week, etc).

A 6&1 is not a Medifast plan or recommendation. Adding a 6th meal can take you out of fat burning as it will contribute to you total carbohydrates.

I hope you find this helpful.

Have a lovely day,

Meridith, RD, LDN

Ok.. thanks, MA.... Well, worked out pretty hard Sun/Mon/Tues and basically did the 5/1 plan (although had two of those meals together before I worked out and skipped the last meal before bed -- which would have been my 5th meal, but I had it as the 1-2 meal in the morning instead. I feel like this Mad Scientist trying to tweak the science out of this just right LOL.

Anyhow, along with that odd-scheduled 5/1, I had some extra almonds and -- wait for it -- a RIB EYE STEAK done on the outside grill -- O-M-G... just like old times -- well, WITHOUT the extra pat of REAL BUTTER right at the end there like we USED TO DO... oiy. Yeah, yeah, weighed it out and had 6 ounces and some "fauxtatoes" and a few extra veggies... and I'm STILL lower in weight than I was on Sunday... so I'll TAKE IT!!!!!

Sorry.. beef gets me excited LOL.....

Oh, and made our final payment on that Hawaii cruise for November yesterday... can't wait!!!!! It's gonna be different this time around, though, isn't it.......

H

Edited by hapster222

Hehe.... your "iron" comment just reminded me of Cher and Nicolas Cage in Moonstruck.... "Heeeeh... eat this steak!!! It's good for ya blood!!!!!"

H

LOL!

How is everyone doing??? I'm down 2.5 this week - total 39.5 in 12 weeks - Sooooo close to the 40 pounds!!

Having a chicken burger and salad for dinner - found them at Costco. They're delicious and you can have 2 for a lean. They are high in sodium, so I wouldn't do them a lot, but I tend to eat the things I like but that are higher in sodium the day I weigh in, so I have some time to flush out the sodium before next weigh in.

http://www.atkfoods.com/our-brands/burgers-by-amylu

Karen - are you out there?? I hope you're back on track :)

Hiho....

Good-o, MA!!!

23 pounds down for me and it's 5 weeks plus a few days today!!! Speaking of "protein burgers," just had that last night.... took two big leaves of Romaine and grilled up some turkey burgers... built those leaves of lettuce just like a hamburger bun with all the fixins.....never even missed the bread. Paired it with a small salad. Yum!!!

Yes, Karen... we'd like a little chat with you!!

H