Cruising Newbies

bluernoser65

Hi: This will be our first time cruising. We are sailing on the Carnival Liberty out of Miami on the 14th April/12.

Any pros/cons of this ship would be appreciated. Also any infomation would be helpful also( e.g. is there a formal night, what are the best excursions to go on.) We will be going to St. Thomas, San Juan & Grand Turk.

Thanking you in advance for any info.

You need to research your ports...for what interests you, you may not even NEED an excursion! Get a guidebook or go online....find out what is in each place you'll visit...then you can decide if you really need to pay someone to take you there!

Carnival doesn't do "formal" nights anymore...now they have "elegant" nights...and it's up to you how dressy you want to be. A suit or sportscoat will be fine...but beware! The women will still be dressed up! You don't want to look like a 2nd cousin!!!

Nowadays on Carnival's 'elegant' night most men don't even wear a jacket let alone a suit. I have even seen shorts & jeans on both men & women on these nights! What you wear is no longer policed on most ships.

My husband only takes 3 pairs of pants on a seven day cruise. Who is going to realize he wore the same pants 2 or 3 nights ago? I do take 7 outfits with a dressy coctail dress for elegant night. Usually on 7 day cruises there are 2 'elegant' nights, the 1st is lobster & prime rib and may be a bit more dressy. My husband seldom takes his tux anymore and I don't take my gown.

What do you like to do? Snorkel, beaches, history, shopping? We can help you more with excursions if we know.

St. Thomas: If you enjoy snorkeling there is usually a catamaran excursion to St. John which includes lunch and cocktails, good fun we did this a few years ago. Megan's Bay Beach is nothing to write home about, don't waste your time. I have read very good reviews about Coki Beach.

Puerto Rico: This is a port you can easily do on your own. Take a stroll through the old town and then walk over to the El Morro Fort, a fabulous old place with lots of tunnels and parapets to explore. You can also catch a shuttle bus back to the port, it leaves just across the street from the fort.

Grand Turks: Haven't been here probably a good beach spot, nothing really exciting here from what I've read.

Not a bad idea to book an excursion through the ship if it's your first cruise. If you are late returning the ship will not wait for you, if your ship's excursion is late the ship will wait.

Pick up a guide book like CB at Sea recommended. Half of the fun of going on a cruise is the planning. You will discover things you never knew and learn about places that will appeal to plus it's interesting.

Also, join your Roll Call. Great chance to chat pre-cruise with others aboard your voyage, maybe someone else is interested in going to Coki Beach and wants to share a cab.

Here's a link to the Carnival Roll Call Section:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=334&order=desc

Didn't see one for your cruise yet, but, check periodically or start one yourself.

Jonathan

As mentioned do your homework to figure out what you want to do & see in each port. Also, join the Roll Call for the cruise. There you can meet others sailing with you. To join, Click Boards at the top of this page, Scroll down to Roll Calls, click on your cruise line, Click on your ship. Find the thread for your sailing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived