confused about insurance coverage...

eggnoodle

The cost of my cruise, for 2 people, is $1,338, before port charges and taxes. We don't have any pre existing coniditions. My question is, how about airfare? Do I include that into the trip cost? If I don't include it, and something does prevent me from going on my trip, will i be covered?

I'm still a bit confused about this. Can someone explain this to me?

TIA!

The cost of my cruise, for 2 people, is $1,338, before port charges and taxes. We don't have any pre existing coniditions. My question is, how about airfare? Do I include that into the trip cost? If I don't include it, and something does prevent me from going on my trip, will i be covered?

TIA!

Are you buying fully refundable tickets?

Are you buying tickets with the most restrictions?

Are you using rewards for air travel?

TIA!

We always add air to the Ins. We use Access America We pay 6.5% we are in our late 50s

Yes, if you want the tickets insured, you include them in your trip cost. Same thing if you book a pre-paid pre/post cruise hotel.

If you cancel and won't get your money back as a result, you generally want to include it.

That said, you don't HAVE to include it. For instance, some policies will still provide return airfare coverage even with a "Trip Cost" on the policy of zero. However, some providers (i.e. TravelGuard) cut off a lot of free "promotional" coverages if you don't include all pre-paid costs.

If you need to cancel your trip, and you do not cover the cost of your airline tickets, many airlines will give you a voucher for a future flight after you pay a change fee. On the other hand, if you cover the cost of airline tickets and you cancel. Your insurance company will make you surrender the vouchers before they give you a refund.

If you need to cancel your trip, and you do not cover the cost of your airline tickets, many airlines will give you a voucher for a future flight after you pay a change fee. On the other hand, if you cover the cost of airline tickets and you cancel. Your insurance company will make you surrender the vouchers before they give you a refund.

My experience with this with Travelguard is, the ins. company reimbursed the change fee ($150 per ticket) and I got to keep the vouchers. The change fee was my loss, so I got that back.

6rugrats,

Are you sure that you couldn't get a full refund instead? If you have vouchers, they usually expire in a year or so, and you would be locked in to using that airline. Where if you get a full refund, you can reschedule the trip any time, any place, with any airline. Or not reschedule the trip at all.

But I don't mind receiving vouchers since we typically don't insure our airline tickets anyway. If the tickets are $800/each, then we would need to pay to insure the full cost of the ticket, but if we get a voucher, the most we could ever collect would be the $150 change fee.

But maybe you only insured for the value of the change fee, not the full cost of the ticket?

Archived