RCI Shore Excursions

We are currently signed up for a couple of shore excursions. Does anybody have any feedback on the following:

Kon-Tiki Party Tour - I think that is on St. Thomas in the afternoon

City and Bacardi Tour - San Juan

SeaTrek Parasail - Labadee

St. Thomas Helmet Dive - in the AM

Does anybody have any recommendations. I love to snorkel, but she doesn't swim. I want to make sure she is taken care of. I can snorkel in Hawaii later.

We have done the parasail in St. Thomas and it was fun....not very long though. If, by helmet dive, you are referring to BOB in St. Thomas, it is wonderful. All I know about Kon Tiki is that usually the participants can hardly make it back to the ship!

Helmut dive is great! You walk along the bottom and it seems like you are in an aquarium. It is at Coki and there are also other things to see there. Shark tank and an area where you can pick up starfish and other things.

Becky

Hey there. I worked for RCI and can tell you that the Kon Tiki always has the passengers that dont make it to dinner later that night cause they are sunburned and hungover, but if she dosent like to snorkel thats your best bet cause its stops at the beach. The Bacardi tour is informative but pretty boring. AND if you you do the parasailing at Labadee understand that it is short but lots of fun. The waverunner tour is alot of fun and its like an hour long. My buddy Attilla is one of the dive instructors so see if you can find him. Hope I helped

Lauryn

I would suggest you can do a city tour in San Juan on your own without taking a tour. We did a similar tour on our first visit to San Juan and ended up seeing some art museum and missing seeing El Morro, the big fort overlooking the harbor. The Bacardi factory tour is also one that can be done by yourself if you want.

There is no charge for the actual tour from Bacardi. In fact, since they give you coupons for two drinks each, it's almost as if they are paying you! We toured the factory and it provided insight into the company's history. After the tour, they drop you off at the gift shop, where almost everyone bought something. We did. Also, during the tour, they allow you to send a video message to anyone. Take email addresses to send a video message.

To get to Bacardi from old San Juan, you just go to Pier # 2 and take the ferry. I don't think there is any signage, or anyone telling you to do this. But, this is how you get there. The ferry from downtown San Juan is 50 cents pp, per way. And there might be a fee for the shuttle bus from the ferry to the factory; I think there is a shuttle bus. There should also be cabs there. It is too far to walk on vacation, about 1 and 1/2 miles.

http://www.gotopuertorico.com/go_cultureHistory.php?language=english&page=48

What time does your ship get into San Juan? If it is in the afternoon I would suggest doing your own city tour by catching the free shuttle bus up to El Morro as soon as you can get ashore. It closes for new visitors around 4:30 PM and chases everyone out at 5 PM. Then take your time walking back through town. If you want to see the original walls and one of the original gates you can use it to go outside the city and walk around the outside back to your ship. It provides good picture opportunities especially in the early evening (sunset).

http://www.gotopuertorico.com/go_cultureHistory.php?language=english&page=55

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/sanjuan/0323010008.html

http://welcome.topuertorico.org/city/sanjuan.shtml

By doing it on your own you will save some money and may see more.

Have a great next cruise.

Great replies and coaching - especially wwinfl91...thanks for taking so much time and the links.

Lauryn, I will be looking for Attilla. I would love to dive there. I was at the Atlantis years ago and the water was so unbelievably clear in the Caribbean. Looking forward to getting back into it.

Doug

My husband did the parasailing in Labadee and had a wonderful time - he signed up for first thing in the morning (9:00?) which was a good thing as it became windy during that time and all the rest of the parasailings were canceled - lots of unhappy people, but better to be "safe than sorry" - to be on the safe side I'd go early - Labadee is such a wonderful beach day, I rented a mat and just lazed in the water ... it was terrific! Enjoy Jan

Archived