Dialysis at Sea

ejb0630

Just recently started dialysis and have been looking at this has anyone had any expirence?

Would love to discuss the booking and the process as well as the onboard dialysis staff.

Boy thats a new one on me, you mean you can actually get dialysis on board a RCI ship.

Just recently started dialysis and have been looking at this has anyone had any expirence?

Would love to discuss the booking and the process as well as the onboard dialysis staff.

First and foremost check with your doctor to make sure you're good to go... I'd go to their facebook page and see / contact people on there who have gone :)

Happy cruisin'

Edited by Beth C

My wife and I meet up with a male nurse that worked for Dialysis At Sea on Oasis. It was something new to us...found it very interesting....very nice guy and he explained a bit to us of what they do. DAS obviously plans/books everything...it had nothing to do with the CL, other than for them to coordinate with them. They supply all the machines themselves...sounded like a very good operation. .....the nurse we meet was great and had been working for them for quite a while....believe he was celebrating his 500th something night on Royal Caribbean...so that should give you an idea how much he cruises with them. He was leaving Oasis to go over to Celebrity at the time to do a couple months of B2B sailings the company had scheduled. He told us the treatments usually take place in the morning.

Edited by bajathree

Hi

I've been a nurse on 6 cruises so far with dialysis at sea. They have very strict guidelines about who they allow to travel, the charge nusre is always someone who has cruised with them previously and a nephrologist travels with us as well. You book your travel directly with them, they act as your travel agent and medical team. They own and maintain all of the equipment, and it's test for water quality and sanitation just like in your clinic at home.

My suggestion for you, if you're nervous is try a 5 day New Jersey to Bermuda. You'll only need two treatments, there's a dialysis unit on the island, and you're only a 2 hour flight from the mainland. You can follow them on facebook and talk to other patients. Hope to see you sailing soon.

Steve, did you meet Frank or Johnny? both are very experienced an loads of fun!

In fact I'll be on the Oasis in October with them.

Marsha

Hi

I've been a nurse on 6 cruises so far with dialysis at sea. They have very strict guidelines about who they allow to travel, the charge nusre is always someone who has cruised with them previously and a nephrologist travels with us as well. You book your travel directly with them, they act as your travel agent and medical team. They own and maintain all of the equipment, and it's test for water quality and sanitation just like in your clinic at home.

My suggestion for you, if you're nervous is try a 5 day New Jersey to Bermuda. You'll only need two treatments, there's a dialysis unit on the island, and you're only a 2 hour flight from the mainland. You can follow them on facebook and talk to other patients. Hope to see you sailing soon.

Marsha

I believe it was Frank....we meet up in the Diamond Lounge...he was a lot of fun...we had loads of laughs together that evening...it was a pleasure to meet him.

Jeannine

I believe your husband was on peritoneal dialysis, which he did for himself.

We also do hemodialysis, using needles.

EJB, if there's some one in your home clinic who you get along well with and trust, why not see if they would sign up and you could explore this together!

Marsha

Jeannine

I believe your husband was on peritoneal dialysis, which he did for himself.

We also do hemodialysis, using needles.

EJB, if there's some one in your home clinic who you get along well with and trust, why not see if they would sign up and you could explore this together!

Marsha

MSW1023

Having reading all that I can find on this I would not say I am neverous I would just like to hear as much input as I can on all aspects of the process from how easy the booking was or wasn't to average price to cabin selection etc, etc.

All the patients I've sailed with have said the process was very easy. You will have to pay 1700 dollars for your treatments for a week long cruise and then submit it to your insurance to see if any will be reimbursed.

You can book any class cabin from inside to suite. Why don't you give them a call. It doesn't cost anythin to have a conversation with them.

You can email me at my screen name @ verizon.net., but I know you're looking for patient perspective not staff.I don't want to appear to be soliciting for a private company on the boards either.

Marsha

Hi

Marsha

Marsha, I did met both Frank and Johnny"Angel" on the Brilliance Dec 21/12/2007!

I was not a patient, but they were both in the concierge! We had so much fun...... Wish I could see them again: I'm keeping in touch with Frank, once in a while...... Lots of good times and memories!!!!!

Keep up the good work.

Hello All. I am Bill from Ohio and my travel buddy is on dialysis and we just found out about DAS. He called them and booked a cruise on the Allure of the Seas for January 2012. The lady at DAS made all the arrangements and is very helpful. She got us a balcony cabin on Deck 11 close to the elveators to save steps. DAS has opened up our cruising together again. He felt so left out when I took a cruise, but not now. We are so looking forward to this cruise and the Allure of the Seas. Dialysis at Seas is great.

Anyone on dialysis can go on cruises. Check their web site for cruises.

Bill

• 3 years later...

I just booked it through DAS on the Allure, three days three and a half hours cost me almost 2,000 dollars. I feel it's worth it to be able to cruise again.

:)