Air Tran Standby Question

melli_fera

Hey everyone,

Looking for someone who has some knowledge or experience with AirTran.

I'm scheduled to fly to MCO on thursday night (with a layover in BWI), but because of the impending storm, I'm considering trying to get into MCO earlier. According to the AirTran website, this is what I found:

Changes at the Airport on Day of Travel

Customers have two options for changing to a flight other than their reserved flight at the airport on the day of travel. Based on space availability, customers may reserve a confirmed seat on an earlier flight to the same destination for $25 per person per segment. Or, customers have the option to standby for another flight to the same destination at no charge. These options are only available at the airport on the day of travel.

Now, I found a nonstop that leaves in the morning thursday, getting into MCO by 2PM. Right now, seats look plentiful. I'm wondering if I should try to get on there standby (or paying the listed $25 per segment). There is nothing else here that says anything about fees (difference of fare, or anything). There is another section about changing itinerary or cancelling, but I'm not sure if those fees would apply. Anyone have any insight?

I would definatly call Air Tran, I work in the airline industry an travel standby all the time and a flight that looks ok one minute might not look so good the day that you are trying to travel. Normally with a impending storm the airlines will allow changes to flights to affecte cities with out any charges. I would call AirTran as soon as you could to try and get it changed to the earlier flight. Also if they can confirm you on it for the $25 I would do that so you know that you will have a seat and be able to get to Orlando earlier.

Melissa, call Airtran. Just because seats look plentiful, there are many people that don't pay to pick their seats when booking. The only seats that are going to show as reserved are those that pay. I would pay the $25 to guarantee me a seat instead of sitting at the airport all day. JMO.

It's been my experience regardless of the airline that if you are trying to make changes to an itinerary due to impending weather problems that they are all very flexible and waive fees. I can't count how many times I've been trying to beat a blizzard into or out of the northeast in the winter and was never charged a change fee as a result.

I can't say this for Airtran but I I've definitely not been changed change fees when trying to beat the weather on AA, CO, SW, and US.

Melissa, call Airtran. Just because seats look plentiful, there are many people that don't pay to pick their seats when booking. The only seats that are going to show as reserved are those that pay. I would pay the $25 to guarantee me a seat instead of sitting at the airport all day. JMO.

Yeah, I think I'll give them a call. The $25 is if I do it day of flight AT the airport. So I don't know if that means that I have to just show up at 7AM at the airport to do it (hoping for the best), or if I actually can do something sooner.

Yes, you can only do this on the day of travel for this fee; not in advance. Air Tran does currently have a travel waiver in place, allowing you to change flights at no fee, but right now, this is only for passengers traveling to/from San Juan or Punta Cana.

If you want to change your flight now to MCO, you're going to have to pay for it. It will be a $75 fee and then any change in fare. Keep your eye on their webpage as the situation changes.

The $25 is if I do it day of flight AT the airport. So I don't know if that means that I have to just show up at 7AM at the airport to do it (hoping for the best), or if I actually can do something sooner.
Seems that you answered your own question.

Day of flight means just that.

At the airport means just that.

Sooner or over the phone doesn't mean that.

Seems that you answered your own question.

Day of flight means just that.

At the airport means just that.

Sooner or over the phone doesn't mean that.

True. I note no current travel waivers on AirTran but for travel to/from Nassau if you are traveling on 25 August. No travel waiver for your departure/arrival city means you pay the fees and fare change.

Archived