Freedom of the Seas-Western--1100+ pictures/video-July 10, 2011 sailing

You have done an excellent job on this review. I quite enjoy the personal touches you bring to it along with your enthusiasm. We are going on Freedom this Feb. and it is our first cruise. Bringing our Grandson also so your reviews are spot on! I have not yet made reservations on anything an just said we wanted the 6 PM dining. How do we get a couple of "formal" sittings? You mentioned in your first day about knowing where your seating was... ? Thanks for all the effort and pics you have put into this. !

You have done an excellent job on this review. I quite enjoy the personal touches you bring to it along with your enthusiasm. We are going on Freedom this Feb. and it is our first cruise. Bringing our Grandson also so your reviews are spot on! I have not yet made reservations on anything an just said we wanted the 6 PM dining. How do we get a couple of "formal" sittings? You mentioned in your first day about knowing where your seating was... ? Thanks for all the effort and pics you have put into this. !

I don't know when Feb. you are going. We are sailing on Feb. 5th. Your dining room and table number will be on your seapass card. When you get on the ship and are exploring go to your dining room. You can go in and find your table. We always do this so when we go to dinner we know where to go. If not the first night they will have someone at the door to show you. Have a great first cruise.;);)

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you ~ you did such a great review i was just wondering... Is the Ice Rink Cold when you are standing watching or sitting watching a show. Thanks for your help:)

It's chilly in there even if you are just sitting watching. Then again, I'm always cold and my husband plays ice hockey, so I know ice rinks are cold anyway. If you're unsure, take a jacket/sweater/sweatshirt and if you don't need it, you can take it off. I'm one of those people who'd "rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it". Altho, skating around did seem to warm me up (because I was moving).

Diver-don: macrc answered perfectly!

Wishing everyone going soon a wonderful trip! :D

Ryansmom....Thank you for restoring my faith in the decision of making a reservation on the FOS for this July... We are first time cruisers and reading some of the reviews, I truly wonder if I lost my mind in booking it!!! But with your review I am once again excited. We are doing the other route (coco cay, St.Martin, St. Thomas)...Anyway, THANK YOU!!!

Ryansmom....Thank you for restoring my faith in the decision of making a reservation on the FOS for this July... We are first time cruisers and reading some of the reviews, I truly wonder if I lost my mind in booking it!!! But with your review I am once again excited. We are doing the other route (coco cay, St.Martin, St. Thomas)...Anyway, THANK YOU!!!

ah...so very welcome!

We've been on RCI and Disney and loved each of them! CCL...not so much. Be a long time till I can convince my husband to spend $ there.

Rest easy...you haven chosen a great ship and should have nothing short of a good time!

Hi Ryan's Mom,

I'm joining in the praise :D

It was very nice to read your text and look at your photos.

You are a very sassy-looking Mom and I think your surfer/rocker son/dad-duo looks a lot of fun :cool:

Cheers for everything!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I'm so impressed with this review! I love the way you linked the pictures via hyperlink so that they don't clog up the body of the review. Wonderful pictures, the ones I have looked at. We're not sailing until October so I have plenty of time to read through this!

Again, great job!

Mrs. B

• 2 weeks later...

The desserts at Serrentos reminds me of Seattles Best Coffee at Borders. I love the lemon poppyseed cake and of course the cookies. Do they have the Toffee Nut Cookie? I sure hope they have the same offerings in the Seaview Cafe on the Serenade of The Seas. I will be on the April 21st 14 night from San Juan.

Awesome review and it looks like your husband Ry and you had so much fun!!

Day 12 -- Tuesday, July 12

Cruise Day 3 -- Labadee, Haiti

Today's Compass.

We had asked our cabin attendant yesterday to switch pullman beds for Ry. I was hoping maybe the bed over top of my side of the bed would be quieter...and it was! He wasn't happy on that side, as he couldn't lay in bed and watch tv then....but, I was happier not hearing his every move during the night!

This morning we woke up at 7:30 to the sound of the gangway ramp being put out. Turns out this was right directly below our room. So, if you want to sleep in (on port days), this is probably one room you don't want! If you needed to be up early (like we do on Thursday), this is a welcome 'wake up' call.

We didn't need to get up quite so early, so we lounged around in bed and slowly woke up. We finally got up about an hour later and headed for breakfast at the Windjammer. We probably got to the Windjammer around 9am or so and had a nice, leisurely breakfast. There was no packing breakfast up on us this morning. Plenty to eat. Make sure you find a table before you get your food. If you get your food first, by the time you wander around looking for a table, your food could cool off. We'd always find a table first and someone (usually me) would have a seat while the others went for their food first. The system worked pretty good for us. Also, after you fill your plate, put another plate over top of your food. Helps keep it warm.

After breakfast, it was back upstairs to change into swim duds and head ashore. Randy & Ryan had an 11am waverunner tour. They needed to check in at 10:45 for that. We headed off the ship, and by now there wasn't any crowd or line. We scanned our cards and walked toward Labadee. It looked beautiful and we had a beautiful day! We took some pictures before checking in for the waverunner tour because we were early. Our family, our son...who was still tired apparently. Some random pictures: a local boat, a fountain, a pathway up the hill, the ship, another picture of the ship, another fountain, directions on Labadee and some tunes to set the island mood.

We decided to check in because there wasn't any lines. We were a bit early and sat and waited to be called at 11:00. They called the 11am tour into the room for the safety video first. You always have the little talk about how to operate the waverunner, how to do it safely, basic rules of the water, etc... After the 'chat', it was time to get lifejackets on. Unlike years ago when my husband & I did this on Coco Cay, the driver now wears an additional vest. This vest has handles on the sides for the passenger to hold onto.

Their actual departure was more around 11:15am. Waverunner pix: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. Here are some of the pictures Randy captured from his video from their tour: 1, 2, 3, 4, this was a local boat selling goods out there, and starting to head back, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9.

After they left on the waverunner, I decided to roam the island and take some pictures. I passed by that fountain again! I decided to head to Dragon's Point Lookout. The sign posted was informative and it was easy to find...just go by the end of the zipline! I walked around and came across the entrance to the Lookout. I climbed up to the point, taking pictures along the way. Here are some of the sights from the path up to the Lookout Point: literal end of the zipline, the beach and the cafe.

Pictures from the Point: 1 and 2.

I was all by myself up top at the Point. It was very quiet except for the water you could hear...making the 'dragon breath' sound. I thought it was neat and enjoyed about 5 minutes there alone. Before I left, I took video and many pictures.

I checked the time and it was almost 12:15! I figured the guys would be back from their waverunner tour and I had their flipflops! I started to head back.

I decided to take the 'road to the right' path. I didn't know where I'd come out, but it seemed to head in the direction of the ship (where I needed to go) along the coastline. This turned out to be the 'scenic' route back and it was pretty empty. Most of it was an easy walk and downhill (of course).

Some pictures from the way back down: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, looking back at the Point where I just was, 10, 11 and 12.

Walking along the coastline had some beautiful scenery and it was a quiet path...I didn't come across but a few people on my way back. Here are some pictures from that walk: the ship, the water is just so beautiful, 1, 2. Earlier in the day, I'd seen a party of what looked like a vow renewal (or a wedding). I had to guess this is where that happened. If so, it was a beautiful spot for it.

As I got closer to the ship, I came across a little outcove. There was a bench under a tree there with this beautiful view of the ship.

This was the path I came from. I realized it was near this fountain...in case you wanted to take the shortcut TO Dragon's Plaza.

After stopping for those pictures and video along the way, I arrived back at the spot where we waited for the waverunner excursion to begin. The guys were there looking at the video Randy had taken while out on the waverunner. I came up behind and asked how it was. They said they had a fun time. That was the first time my son had been on a waverunner. He liked it...a lot!

from the day up to this point.

They asked what I did while they were gone and I told them where I went. They wanted to see where I'd been, so we headed to the Lookout Point. A bit more crowded now, but we stayed a few more minutes and then went back down the stairs/path we came up. (didn't take the scenic way down this time)

Our family at the Lookout Point: Ryan at the point, looking beat? It's only 1:30 son! Wake up! Lots more fun to be had today!! A pic with his Dad, his Mom and Mom & Dad together. After a few more pix, we were ready to go. 1, 2 and 3.

We came back down to the beach and took a few pictures. Beach pix: 1, 2, Lookout Point & the 'dragon', 3 and 4. Then we went to the Cafe to get some ice for the bottled water we'd brought with us. While here, we also took advantage of a bathroom break.

While we were over in the Dragon's Point area, Ryan wanted to ride the Dragon's Tail Coaster. While over here, why not? We walked in that direction. Tucked far away in that part of that area, it took a little while to walk to. It was an easy walk though, since they have paved pathways. Not sure what kind of tree this was, but I took a picture because it was pretty.

We arrived at Adrenaline beach where the DragonTail Coaster was. More pix of Adrenaline beach first: 1, 2, 3 and 4.

We turned in our ticket at the coaster counter and signed the waiver release. Randy didn't want to go, so I was going to go with him. Turns out, I sat in the back and ended up being the driver/braker because I was taller. There is a handle in the front of the coaster car for the passenger to hold on to, but when Ryan would hold onto it, he was sitting more upright. You need to know my son is only about 3" shorter than me, so when he'd hold on and sit more upright and I could not see the track ahead of us...just the back of his head! When the worker told him to hold on, I explained I couldn't see (to brake) and he was actually better off leaning back against me. After showing him, he agreed he could lean back and then was nice to take our picture for us.

We started our ride up the mountain. Ryan videotaped our ride while I worked the brakes (and snapped a couple of pictures along our ride). We seemed to be going up forever. Just when we thought we were finished our climb, nope. We continued up.... We finally did make it and had some GREAT views!! Some pix from the ride: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. Randy waited for us at the bottom, or end...whatever you want to call it. The cruiseline also has someone there taking your picture. Here we come : 1, 2 and 3.

It was a nice ride down...very curvy. They do warn you where to brake before some of the curves. Ryan really enjoyed it and could have done it again. I don't know that he, or I, could do it all day long over and over, but at least once...maybe 2 or 3 more times would have been enough..... No matter, we had a good time doing it and I'm glad I went! Here is the video of

After the coaster ride, made our way to Columbus Cove, taking pictures along the way. The island is beautiful and very well laid out. It never felt crowded while we were there. We did see a tram stop, but decided to walk since it was a nice walk.

We had to take this picture. It looks like an apple fell from the palm tree! Kinda rude to have left it there, but now that it was there, our son took the opportunity for a Sir Issac Newton photo op. This was kind of strange in a way, because just last night before the doors opened for dinner, we were reading something on the wall about Isaac Newton (who the "Isaac Dining Room" was named after) and about how the story of him sitting under the tree when the apple fell on his head was a little exaggerated. I wish I'd taken a picture of what we read about him....I just found it ironic to have seen this apple under the tree after that!!

We walked past the market area (with little pressure to buy anything) and once at the beach, I found 2 chairs in the shade (under a palm tree) and plopped our stuff on the 2 chairs. You know I found shade for my dear hubby...I woulda preferred the sun, but I was heading out to the water, so it didn't matter.

It was around 1:30 when we got to the beach area. I checked Ry in at the Aqua Park & signed his waivers. They said to meet at the lifejacket area (he pointed it out to me) in about 15 minutes for instructions. We checked out the Aqua Park from the dock and took some pictures of it and before we knew it, it was time for him to check-in for his lifejacket.

Pix of the Aqua Park: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, emptying out, looking back at Columbus Cove beach 7 from the dock, 8, 9, back on the beach.

He got his instructions and headed down the dock with the group to get in the water for the water park. He went right in and got busy right away. His swim session: 1, 2, he's on the right of the trampoline, him jumping in the middle, 3, him in the center triangle of the slide and 4. Looking back, Randy should have gone with him. I think he would have had more fun with a buddy than just by himself.

After some video of him and pictures, I went to get my floaty mat and drinks for Randy & I while Randy checked out the buffet. He was back before I was! He had missed it. We were so busy exploring the island and doing stuff, we didn't keep an eye on the time and it had already closed for the day. Oh well.....come back another day. Randy said he could wait till we got back on the ship to get something to eat. He enjoyed his beer instead. I wanted a Labadoozie, but the bartender said he'd run out of the indgredients to make it. So, I just asked for some ice (I had water with me) and how much for a souvenir cup? (I have one from CocoCay and I wanted one from Labadee to go with it.) He said he wouldn't charge me for the cup and he'd give me ice in it. I forget how the conversation went, but I just ended up buying a water and getting the cup. I think he charged me like $3.95 or something like that. It was worth it to get my cup...and have some ice water.

I got my mat, my drink, my husband and headed for water. This late in the afternoon, people actually started leaving the beach area! The water was nice and the bottom was easy walking on the feet. (Although a little deeper it was that grassy bottom, fyi.) I laid on my mat and just soaked in the sun. It was so nice...the water, sun, cold drink.....just relaxin..... I relaxed, Randy took pictures. These are shots from the water: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. And then I got to take some pictures: 6, 7, 8 and 9.

While in the water, we got a few pix of the boy playing in the Aqua Park. We could have sworn he saw us, but later said he never saw us? We saw a mass of peeps leave the water park area around 2:30-2:45 I'm guessin? We heard lots of people were getting stung by jellyfish and the staff was spraying something on them. Ryan said he didn't get stung though? He stayed the whole time.

Ry crashed on a chair with us when he was done in the Aqua Park. He stopped me from washing ashore while on my mat... seemed the tide was coming in, as I found myself holding on to his chair to keep me next to him!

Seemed he had the last scheduled slot of the day. I thought there'd be a 3pm time, but I guess not because there wasn't another group going into the water. The place seemed to empty around 3pm. The beach, the chairs... We figured the early seating for dinner people were heading back to get ready for dinner?

So Ry was relaxin in a chair in the water, Randy was hanging around and I was on my mat. A couple of kids that were leaving with their folks managed to find a crab and were chasing the poor thing under the chairs. The little boy got a plastic cup from somewhere and managed to chase down and catch the poor thing! Poor Mr. Krabs, he was probably freaking out! After a couple of pictures, he let him go and he scurried under the chairs again. At one point he dug back into the sand in the surf, but resurfaced again. I'm sure all he was doing was looking for some food.....

Around 3:30 we headed back to the ship. Besides being hungry, we wanted to get some pix of Labadee from the top deck before we left.

We ended up taking a different path back to the ship than the way we took to get there (from Dragon's Plaza). Here are the cool pictures from that pathway: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

Nearing the ship, still more pictures: the boy, ah....the long walk back, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, see the hottub?, 6, 7, 8, 9, how YOU doin?, in case you forgot where you were, [/url] and looking this time.

Back onboard, since we were only on Deck 2 (, remember?) Randy wanted to get a quick shower to rinse off. When he was done, we headed up to the top deck for our pix while Ry got his shower.

Pictures from top deck: , , , , , , , , , and in Labadee.

When we got back to the room, he was done with his shower and we decided to go grab a bite to eat and then go to the all skate at the ice rink. It was sandwiches at the Cafe and pizza at Sorrento's. It killed some time before the ice skating session started. Pictures of sandwiches: , , , , , and . Pix of some of the cookies: , , and desserts: , , , , and . The cookie offerings varied at times. They did usually have a carmel cookie...omg...to die for! Of course chocolate chip, peanut butter, oatmeal raisin...and they did have some sugar-free offerings of them also. This was a popular spot to hit before bedtime. And, they do have little milks there too....so it was cookies and milk for Ryan before bed most nights. And there is here too.

After Randy got a couple sandwiches, we went to Sorrento's because Ry wanted pizza. Here's some pix of food from there: , and breads: , and and .

You will see pictures of different things throughout the trip....same the pictures I've already taken. But, I just walked by and HAD to take the picture. Like the , , great shot. So if I was walking somewhere, chances are, I'd snap a picture just because. Besides, who doesn't like pictures?

It was near time for the ice skating session, so we left for Studio B. Along the way, a picture of the .

We checked in at Studio B and signed up for the skating session. Tip: if you want to go, make sure you go early and sign up for that session you want. They only allow so many skaters. We did this our last day and by the time we got there, the session we were going to go to was already full, so we signed up for the next session. You can leave and come back once you've signed up, but, if you are going to skate, try to do the whole session. (Particularly the last day) some people came and skated for like 10-15 minutes and then left. It's a 45 minute session and some people were turned away because it was full. I felt bad for those who couldn't get it because of the kids/people who wanted 10 minutes on the ice. And, , long pants and socks required. If you're like me and get chilly easily, bring a lightweight jacket too. They have elbow and knee pads, but they are not required. And, the ice is chippy and awful (because of the figure skates) and the skates haven't been sharpened in forever...so don't expect great skates.

But, had fun and we were proud of . My had fun horsing around too... is Dad comin in for the check into the boards. And this is the . He hadn't been on skates in a while and he did really well! I know it's from being older with a stronger core (from years of taekwondo) and having better balance because of it. Matter of fact, within a week of being home, went ice skating and he did even a little bit better.

We were there till they closed the session. To our surprise, they even have a . I just HAD to have a of ! was smaller than my car!

Here is

up to this point in our day.

After our skate session, as we were leaving Studio B, I noticed we were on our way from Labadee. I took from a window in Studio B. Already crusin' at a pretty good clip! Here is a picture of the club just outside of Studio B. A lot of karaoke and 'Finish the Lyrics' shows go on here. Ryan asked me to take here too...don't even ask what he's doin!

We headed back to our so I could get my shower & get ready for dinner. We were 10 minutes early for dinner, so we went to check out the photos that were taken of us earlier in the day. This would end up being our usual thing...checking out our photos either before or after dinner...since the Photo Gallery was on the same deck (opposite) our dining room.

Menu for tonite: , , and .

Tonight Ry didn't like any of the appetizers, or want to try any, so he didn't order anything. He tried Randy's and liked it so we got our Assistant Waiter to bring him and I had the soup. For dinner we had: slow-roasted double-cut , with seasonal herbs and .

Ryan didn't care for any of the dessert offerings, but I think there was something going on in the Living Room he wanted to do anyway. So, Randy had the and I ordered the . Not that I was all that hungry, but we both wanted to try it. Very orange-y. I felt bad there wasn't anything Ry liked, so we decided to get him a cupcake at the Cupcake Cupboard.

After dinner, we got (to go) and put them in our room with a note for Ryan to "DO NOT TOUCH". We were only going to get 1 each, but when I asked what the was, they told me it was cinnamon, I had to get it. Ryan loves cinnamon. We decided to get 1 of those and we'd split it...3 ways!

Randy & I headed to the Promenade to catch the . We ended up standing in front of the Cafe and it was convenient when Randy wanted a beer during the show! It was a lot of fun and (cruise director) was funny! He was especially funny when he had to of Ben & Jerry's to retrieve a . While he was up there, he & ran.... What a riot! It was a good show with dancing, the , had a 'love train' going, doing the 'brickhouse', dance tunes from the 70s...

Some pix: , too, , , , , and .

It wasn't a long show...maybe 30-45 minutes or so. Here's some video of the .

After the show, we went back to the cabin. We were surprised Ryan was already there.

We had our with some milk (I picked the milk up at the Cafe after the Dance Party). I'd say the were pretty darn , but probably not worth $2.50. But, I wanted to try one, and I did...try 1. Although, I found myself in there just about every day...checking out the cupcake/ and taking pictures. Remember that one we were going to split? Hard to do if you don't have a knife!

After cupcake snack, we were and Ry got ready for bed. Good thing because he fell asleep watching tv. Randy & I gave him a kiss and he woke up just enough for us to tell him we were going to go out and about the ship to take some night pictures. He was okay with that and went back to sleep.

Some pictures: , too, the , and too. The , the , entrance, pix: and . The (or whatever they call the place to book your next cruise), yet another of the Promenade, at the end of the Promenade, (I actually never made it IN here!), and we poked our nose into an Arcadia .

After ship pictures, we went to just sit and relax. It was a beautiful night; the moon was out and we sat at the helipad for awhile just taking in the warm breeze (surprisingly, it wasn't all that 'windy'...just breezy.) We tried to get a picture of the moon reflecting off the ocean, but with a point & shoot camera, you can only do so much.... (and it was cloudy, which didn't help). Here are some of the best pictures he could get: , , , , , and . Not enough light for a good shot of the , so we put the ...kinda weird?

After a little while there, we figured we'd better head back to the room. Taking some more pictures along the way. The Bar, the theater again, a quiet , at the decks from the Promenade and a picture of in front of Vintages...since nobody was around. And, we noticed, after 12-1am...this ship was empty! Not sure if it's the 1am curfew, but the Freedom is QUIET at night!!

It was about 2:30am when we got back. It was okay to be up late tonight. Tomorrow is Jamaica and we don't have to get up early because we don't have any plans for tomorrow.

The desserts at Serrentos reminds me of Seattles Best Coffee at Borders. I love the lemon poppyseed cake and of course the cookies. Do they have the Toffee Nut Cookie? I sure hope they have the same offerings in the Seaview Cafe on the Serenade of The Seas. I will be on the April 21st 14 night from San Juan.

Awesome review and it looks like your husband Ry and you had so much fun!!

I like toffee, but not recalling a cookie like that? The caramel cookie was good and was what I usually got. We don't have a Seattles Best around here (not that I drink coffee anyway)... Seemed like a few different offerings different days (or when they ran out of what was out?).

Hard to believe this trip was almost a year ago already! :eek:

Glad people are still reading, enjoying and getting some helpful info from it!

. We had Ryan follow the directions on how to get soda from the self-serve at the pool area. Worked first time for him.

Enjoying the review! I had a question about the self-serve soda machine. How does this work with the soda package? Do you slide your Seapass card somewhere or do they have someone checking Seapass cards or somethingelse? I have not read your entire review yet, so if you have answered this already, I do apologize and appreciate you answering again.

Thanks

Enjoying the review! I had a question about the self-serve soda machine. How does this work with the soda package? Do you slide your Seapass card somewhere or do they have someone checking Seapass cards or somethingelse? I have not read your entire review yet, so if you have answered this already, I do apologize and appreciate you answering again.

Thanks.

Not a problem... The cup you get has a microchip in the bottom of it. You place it on the machine tray and there must be something that reads that chip. It enables the soda to flow. You can't self-serve if you don't have your cup..there is no place to swipe a Seapass card. The card is only for ordering from a person. HTH

• 2 weeks later...
One more question if you do not mind. Did they have popcorn at the screening room when you went to watch the movie?

Nope...none anywhere. I'd advise to seek out snacks beforehand and bring them with you. Or bring some popcorn aboard with you and save it for the movie. We had drinks, but nobody was there "manning" the door (so to speak), so I would guess you could bring your own snacks.

• 5 months later...

I know this review is from last year, but there were some people here who were interested in reading about our sailing vacation we took this year and asked if I'd post it. I'm just going to tack that review onto the end of this one.

We were at my husband's Dad's house for a week before we left for sailing. We spent the night (again) at my sister-in-law's parent's house the night before our flight to St. Thomas. The review begins that morning from their house.

This vacation was living on a catamaran with my brother-in-law, his wife & 3 teens for a week just aimlessly sailing around the British Virgin Islands.

The crew sailing are:

me

Randy --> my wonderful husband

Ryan --> my awesome son

Rick --> my brother-in-law

Michele --> my sister-in-law

Ricky --> my nephew (Rick's son)

Corinne --> my niece (Michele's daughter)

Casey --> my niece (Michele's daughter)

Ryan is 13

Ricky & Corinne are 16

Casey is 14

(Rick and Ricky are two different people....it can be confusing if you aren't clear one is the adult/captain the other is the teenager )

Absolutely THE BEST vacation of our lives!

Friday, July 6, 2012

Destination: Roadtown, Tortola wootrock.gif

Got to bed later than we should have, and of course we don't sleep well before a flight somewhere. I think I remember having a dream we missed our flight? So, we were up early...around 7am or 7:30 and had a light breakfast. Some pastries and danishes were out, nothing fancy. Our goal was to leave at 8am for MCO, but we left Grumpy's more like 8:15. Our flight was scheduled for 10:35. Orlando to Miami and then connecting Miami to St. Thomas. A taxi from St. Thomas airport to the ferry. Ferry from St. Thomas to Tortola. Shuttle from Tortola ferry terminal to the marina. This is going to be one loooong day of travel. smiley-sleep024.gif

We headed to the airport and returned our rental car while Grumpy dropped off Rick's group. When we finished returning our car, we went in search of the rest of our group. We found them at curbside check-in, checking in their luggage and two coolers (containing frozen meats).

We literally had only about 5 minutes before they began boarding at our gate. There was a quick run to Burger King for breakfast sandwiches and drinks before boarding.

We started to board and my husband was the last of our group to hand in his boarding pass. They took his rolling suitcase at the gate ...they claimed it wouldn't fit in the overhead bin on the plane. Which, is a bunch of crap because it fit on the way down to Florida last week (even though we flew Southwest and not American then, the size couldn't be that different!) Ryan and I were ahead of him during boarding and he told us to go ahead. That was fine with me because I knew he didn't have his wallet on him (it was in MY bag), so he didn't have any cash or a credit card to pay to check it. BUT, by taking it at the gate, we didn't have pay to check it.

We took off from Orlando and a short 45 minutes later, we landed in Miami. We didn't have long (less than an hour) to wait for our connection here either; even with what seemed to be 'the forever' walk to the next gate through the airport, up around the corner.

After we found our gate, we discussed lunch and potty break. When I came back from the ladies room, I was told we had a table at the restaurant near our gate. I went in and in the back was our table for 8. I asked my husband if we had time to eat here because it was such a short time till boarding began (like 20 minutes). He and I made the decision for all of us to leave because we just didn't have enough time for a sit-down meal like that! Back out on the concourse, we all decided the kids and I would fast walk back to where we passed a Wendy's (way back) and get food for everyone to carry on the plane. And, did we walk fast! I was hurrying the crew along after we got our food. We made it back to the gate area just as they were boarding.smiley-gen165.gif

Boarding began at 12:05pm and since we got back after they began boarding, by the time we got on the plane, there wasn't overhead space for our luggage above us. We ended up stashing our 2 bags up ahead of us. Which, normally would be fine. But of course, not this flight.

This was a longer flight...a bit less than 3 hours. We were off from Miami...goodbye United States. Here are our nieces: Corinne & Casey. The girls with brother Ricky and Rick & Michele. After we all ate our lunch we brought onboard, some decided to sleep. Some of us read. Some deleted pictures off their phone. Some watched the 'inflight movie' which wasn't really a movie, but back to back commercial free episodes of Parks and Rec (which was okay because we don't watch that show at home). Ryan played some video games and after a while, a game of cards erupted.

I'm not really sure where we were flying over, maybe the Bahamas?, but the view was beautiful so I took pictures: 1, 2, 3, 4, the clouds were pretty too, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11.

After a long flight, we were finally getting closer to St. Thomas! 1, 2 and 3. We finally touched down at St. Thomas airport. And, turns out, they would deplane at both the front AND the back of the plane. We were in the back of the plane and would get off at the back. Which, normally would be great. However, if you remember, we were late boarding and all the overhead space was taken near our row. Our luggage was ahead of us. So, we had to wait to be able to get to our bags before getting off. Never been one of the last people off a plane before.

St. Thomas airport is small and very airy and open. No doors. Open luggage carousel area. Weird, but I guess it's an 'island thing'.

Once off the plane, first stop was the ladies room (usually is). And, as usual, a line. By the time I got through the line and finished up in the restroom, Randy came looking for me. The bag they took from us when we boarded in Orlando didn't make it. They couldn't find it at baggage claim. He needed the claim check.

Not remembering what I packed in that particular bag, I was upset. I was hoping it wasn't anything too important in there, as I tried to spread clothes and such out throughout the 3 bags. I didn't want to put all one person's clothes in 1 bag in case something like this happened. I waited with the rest of the family and bags while Randy and his brother went into the office to file a report. Shortly, Randy came out to get me to describe the suitcase to the lady in the office (it was the new bag I just purchased and he didn't remember what it looked like). Rick and I were walking toward the office and he spotted a bag sitting on the floor next to the luggage carousel. It looked familiar and when we went to check it out and I said it was our bag! I could not have been more relieved!!!! We grabbed our bag and headed out to find a taxi.

Rick found a taxi and paid a little extra to leave right away. The taxi driver was trying to get a full van before leaving, but Rick was too impatient for that. He had heard there was a 3:30 fast ferry to Tortola and he wanted to try and make that because the next one wasn't until 4:30. We got the taxi knowing we weren't going to make the 3:30 ferry because it was like 3:15 already! If I hadn't been in the restroom and been out looking for luggage with the guys (like I usually do), we would have gotten our bag and already been on our way! Darn last ones off the plane and being last in the ladies room line!

The taxi ride was rather exciting. They drive on the wrong side of the road and apply brakes ...frequently! Matter of fact, Rick was in front seat and he and the driver were discussing how being the in brake business there is probably a wise career choice. The driver told us they HAVE to replace their brakes every 4 months there. So, turns out, it IS a good job to have there! And, our driver totally cut off this guy in the red car. Yeah...he was none too happy with him. Even pulled next to us and put his window down, but our driver didn't put his window down. He just kept driving us along..... Nice island, but I think I'll stick near the waters. Gas was $4.89/liter there?! Yikes!

Before we knew it, we had arrived at the ferry terminal. Each family bought tickets ($55 pp/rt) and we didn't have to wait too long before they were ready to board.

After we boarded, Michele, Corinne and I filled out our customs forms for the BVI...before the boat started moving. You don't want to try to be writing while the fast ferry is moving!

The ferry ride was a little over an hour and most of the teens couldn't hold out any longer and took a little nap. Corinne did the best and didn't rest her eyes till about 15 minutes until we were there. We just took in the scenery and enjoyed the ride. There were such beautiful sites to see...a seaplane even flew right over us and landed in the water! A few sites: 1, 2 and 3.

We arrived at RoadTown, Tortola and stood in line for customs. Once we all cleared through there, we literary began the hunt for our luggage. What a mess...just scattered here, there and everywhere. No rhyme or reason to where they put it. We all finally found all of it and got in line for security. They asked Rick to open the cooler to inspect the meat we'd brought. There was no ice in the coolers and they seemed okay with what was in there. We were good to go.

Everyone grabbed a bag (or two or a cooler) and we headed toward the Sunsail shuttle. We loaded up our luggage and were on our way to the marina. It wasn't a far ride now...maybe 10 minutes, if that?

Rick & Michele checked in at the reception office and we all hauled all our bags to our boat. A Stray Shower. Now, for a vacation like this, the name of that boat has GOT to be sick joke, right? I mean, who would name their boat that? Turns out, the owner of the catamaran's name is William Shower. (It would turn out we'd have excellent luck with the rain this trip...so, maybe it was a good thing to get a boat with a name like that?) A couple marina pix: 1 and 2.

Yay! We're here!! (finally!) smiley-happy093.gif

A tour of our boat: all aboard! kitchen, the trashcan just inside the door, kitchen again, looking outside from kitchen, eating area w/ control panel and freezer/fridge here and here, eating area again, emptying coolers and filling freezer, (here too), at the helm, an escape hatch in the floor in case of capsize (luckily, we didn't need this), slowly bringing bags in, the aft eating area here, forward eating area outside here and here , a close up of the control panel , forward trampoline , forward eating area , Ryan laying out front on top of the water, anchor and storage areas.

Down below were 4 bedrooms, each with it's own bathroom. If you've ever been on a cruiseship and think their bathrooms are small, you are mistaken! These bathrooms are about the size of maybe 2-3 port-a-pottys put together...literally! They are very small and make a cruiseship bathroom seem like an ensuite size! The bathroom was set up with the shower to the left of the sink and the toliet behind the door. See the button at the bottom left of the mirror? When you are finished with your shower, you have to push and hold that button to drain the floor. A closer picture of the shower setup. Also, when you take a shower, don't forget about your roll of toliet paper! You need to be sure to close the cover over the roll of paper so it doesn't get wet!

Next tour is of the bedrooms. The girls and the boys had the front while the adults had the aft bedrooms. We would come to realize, the kids' bedrooms would be freezing cold from the air conditioning at night, while the adults' bedrooms were cool at best. We even tried closing the kids' vents, but it never really got 'cold' in the back bedrooms. Go figure? But, as tiny as they look, we had room. The beds weren't all that comfortable, but there was enough room. Each bedroom had one tiny little fan over the bed that didn't do much and 1 double outlet. We were suprised at this because we weren't expecting any outlets. It was wonderful to be able to recharge batteries and the laptop overnight. Here is me standing in the boys' bedroom (see their shower to the left?) looking into our bedroom and me in our bedroom taking a picture toward the boys' bedroom.

Now that the meat we brought was in the freezer and the bags were brought inside and we got to explore the boat (which didn't take long), it was now time to head out for groceries. Corinne & I always seemed to be bringing up the rear. At the entrance to Sunsail were a couple of taxis...just waiting. We got a taxi and "Boots" was our driver. What a nice, helpful gentleman. The ride was only about 5-10 minutes to the store. He took us to One Mart for groceries.

Now the grocery store...that was interesting! It's like the store was in Cozumel a couple of years ago. They sold washers, car stuff, electronics, groceries, etc... Like a big box discount store combined with a Walmart. Some grocery store pix: 1, 2, important provision, non-alcholic provisions, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and they even had 'generic' Red Solo Cups.

We grabbed two carts and away we went. My SIL had a list, so we knew right away most of the stuff we needed. What we didn't count on needing was a THIRD shopping cart! Yep...3 carts...FULL!!! There's not too many stores you can buy an individual beer in AND do your shopping while drinking! But, you have to remember, the last thing we ate was Wendy's (on the plane) and that was at least 6 hours ago!

We started checking out and the manager was helping box our stuff up. Are you kidding? If we'd taken the little plastic shopping bags they give you, we'd been hauling bags for a day! The store manager started condensing and emptying the apples in the produce section and was using the boxes to box up our groceries. Quite a few boxes later and a huge bill, we were headed back to our boat. I think Rick drank more than I thought he did because he looks awful happy?

Boots helped load our groceries in the back of the van, and we were back at the dock in no time. He also helped unload the van and load up one of the carts. We took our cart full of our boxes of food back to our boat and formed a line and handed stuff down the line to get the groceries onboard. We were just going to put the cold/refrigerated stuff away, but we had so much help, we ended up putting just about everything away. smiley-happy106.gif There was no room to store breads or snacks, so they got a spot near the air conditioning vents on either side of the common area/kitchen.

It was now approaching 9pm and everyone was starving. We asked Boots if any place was open for dinner yet, and he said 'he knew a place'. So, he took us to a restaurant...and we were the only table there eating that late!

The teens toast the trip. The adults were just happy the long day of travel was over, the boat was stocked and just about ready to go. A very tired us. Bro & Sis and just the bros. There were cheeseburgers, chicken sandwiches, fried shrimp and a nachos (with hot sauce). That'd be Michele's...she puts hot sauce on everything. I was so tired, that when I ordered my chicken, I didn't think and just ordered an iced tea. That, I think, would turn out to be a bad idea tomorrow. smiley-signs081.gif

We didn't want to keep everyone who worked there late, so we finished up our dinner and Boots (who waited for us...had a drink at the bar), took us back to the marina.

Back at our boat, we took a few pictures at night. 1, 2, 3 and 4.

We got back at the boat just after 10pm and we unpacked our bags a little and got settled into our rooms. I found storage at the foot of our bed, and stowed our snorkel gear in the floor at the foot of our bed. Only a couple small shelves in the closet and, like the bathroom, makes a cruiseship closet look huge! After that was finished, we decided to sit outside for bit and just chill out!

The boys went to their room and were watching something on Ricky's laptop, while the girls were exhausted and went right to bed!

After a drink sitting outside, we decided to call it a night. We were tired and someone was coming around at 8am to go over our boat with us, so we had to be up and ready for him.

Just before going to bed, I realized there was no air conditioning on the starboard side of the boat...which, of course, was our side of the boat (and my son and nephew were on the same side across from us). I opened the boys' door and told them we had no AC to leave it open for some air. We tried to figure out why our side didn't have air conditioning, when it just had it not that long ago? Being this late at night, nobody was in the office, so we were on our own. We looked around for a bit, but couldn't figure it out. At least we had 1 tiny fan in our room...that didn't really help my husband because it was so little and he was on the opposite side of the bed from it. It wasn't much after midnight when we gave up and went to bed. Too tired to try and figure it out any longer.

This was one looooong day, but we are finally here. aahhh...

Hello! It's nice to see another review from you even if it is not on a cruise ship. I remember you mentioning last year during your Freedom review of this upcoming vacation. I look forward to reading through this reveiw and enjoying it as much as the Freedom review. This reveiw will really get me in the mood for my cruise next month on the Allure of the Seas since St. Thomas is on the itinerary. That first day was quite a busy day but it looked like you still had fun. It is also nice to see your family again and to see them enjoy a wonderful vacation with your BIL & SIL and Ryan's cousins. :)

Archived