Freedom of the Seas-Western--1100+ pictures/video-July 10, 2011 sailing

Fabulous Cruise review :) Many many thanks for sharing your cruise with us all. I have'nt had a holiday (vacation:p ) this year as we're saving for next years cuise on the Indy OTS so your review has A) made up for not going away this year as it seems like I've been on yours & B) certainly got me aching for next year even more. Your pics & commentary to the cruise make some magazine 'professionals ' reviews look tame :D

Thanks again 20/10 !!

Whew! Finally to the end of your review, reading your review really helped me pass the time getting ready for my trip next week. If CruiseCritic gives out awards for fantastic reviews I nominate yours for top prize! :D Thanks again for the time and effort that you put into this as I know so many of us enjoyed reading it!:) :D

Loved your awesome review.

thanks! glad you enjoyed it.

Fabulous Cruise review :) Many many thanks for sharing your cruise with us all. I have'nt had a holiday (vacation:p ) this year as we're saving for next years cuise on the Indy OTS so your review has A) made up for not going away this year as it seems like I've been on yours & B) certainly got me aching for next year even more. Your pics & commentary to the cruise make some magazine 'professionals ' reviews look tame :D

Thanks again 20/10 !!

Not going away this year will make NEXT year's trip all that more wonderful! Thanks for reading. I hope you have an awesome holiday next year!

Whew! Finally to the end of your review, reading your review really helped me pass the time getting ready for my trip next week. If CruiseCritic gives out awards for fantastic reviews I nominate yours for top prize! :D Thanks again for the time and effort that you put into this as I know so many of us enjoyed reading it!:)

lol...I'm no pro photographer with my little point and shoot camera, but it works good enough for the memories. Thanks for reading...have a great trip yourself!! Toast Randy & I on your cruise...Oct 2nd is our 18th anniversary. :)

thanks! glad you enjoyed it.

Not going away this year will make NEXT year's trip all that more wonderful! Thanks for reading. I hope you have an awesome holiday next year!

lol...I'm no pro photographer with my little point and shoot camera, but it works good enough for the memories. Thanks for reading...have a great trip yourself!! Toast Randy & I on your cruise...Oct 2nd is our 18th anniversary. :)

I will toast your anniversary, (congratulations by the way) I hope you don't mind if I do so with a mojito! :D

I thoroughly enjoyed "our cruise" with you, and am sorry to reach the end. We'd all be happy if you'd post your Tortulas trip even though it won't be on a cruise ship. You have a great writing style...made us live through it with you.

Mimi

I will toast your anniversary, (congratulations by the way) I hope you don't mind if I do so with a mojito! :D

ANY adult beverage will do :D

I thoroughly enjoyed "our cruise" with you, and am sorry to reach the end. We'd all be happy if you'd post your Tortulas trip even though it won't be on a cruise ship. You have a great writing style...made us live through it with you.

Mimi

Thank you... I will certainly do a review of next year's vacation (good to have posted for the memory) and will post the link at the end of THIS review. Although, I'm unsure of how exciting it will be.... After a week at my father-in-law's in Florida, we fly to the Virgin Islands, pick up our catamaran and just start sailing island to island. Snorkel during the day and swim....not going to be an exciting trip, more of a relaxation thing :D

But...we did just deposit on our catamaran...this very one: http://www.viyachts.com/bareboats/sunsail/leopard444.htm

We are very much looking forward to cruising around the BVI...Anegada is our first stop...then probably Virgin Gorda and then the rest of the islands.

Thanks to everyone for reading! 2.gif I'm glad I could help with some insight while you plan your cruise!

So great! I am a travel agent and I will definitely forward this link to clients! Such a great review! I have done this many times and it is like I am there...one thing you should do next time in Cozumel is swim with the dolphins...such a fantastic excursion!

I have a question I have a son who will also be 13 in January did you feel comfy letting him run alone? The club for him would be The Living Room? Right? He has been on many cruises that I checked him into the kids clubs...this is different he is a couple months from 13 and he says he's ready to go n his own...did Ryan have any trouble and can he give Sam (my boy...lol) any suggestions? I am an overprotective mom and I am freaked about everything when it comes to the boy!

Thanks sooooooo much for this I loved it!,

:D

Kim

So great! I am a travel agent and I will definitely forward this link to clients! Such a great review! I have done this many times and it is like I am there...one thing you should do next time in Cozumel is swim with the dolphins...such a fantastic excursion!

I have a question I have a son who will also be 13 in January did you feel comfy letting him run alone? The club for him would be The Living Room? Right? He has been on many cruises that I checked him into the kids clubs...this is different he is a couple months from 13 and he says he's ready to go n his own...did Ryan have any trouble and can he give Sam (my boy...lol) any suggestions? I am an overprotective mom and I am freaked about everything when it comes to the boy!

Thanks sooooooo much for this I loved it!,

:D

Kim

I'm glad you enjoyed the review and it will be helpful to your clients!

This was Ryan's 3rd cruise and we felt comfortable letting him roam and explore the ship (he has a great sense of direction and ends up helping us). He does have his rules, such as nobody in our cabin (EVER) and he is not to go in anyone else's. If he ever loses sight of his drink (he has soda card), he is to get a new drink. He needs to check in with us every once in a while. We have the Compasses the night before, and we get 2 of his...one for him, one for us. He highlights what he plans to do, and we write on his Compass what we plan to do. He will usually find us, but we also take a dry erase marker and leave it on the vanity in the cabin. This allows him (and us) to leave messages on the mirror (dry erase marker = erasable w/ a tissue) of where we are going to be in case our (or his) plans change. We set a time for him to return to the cabin to get ready for dinner also. He's a good, responsible kid and we trust him to keep track of the time (setting his watch ahead 5-10 minutes w/o his knowledge doesn't hurt either ;) ) I don't worry about his safety, because he knows to stay away from the railings. If he's not in a group activity, he's with other kids. And, he is also a 3rd degree blackbelt, so I don't worry about him being able to defend himself against an attacker. It's all a matter of how responsible/mature your son is.... He's going to want to be on his own and hang with 'friends', sounds like now is the time. It's actually harder on the parents than the kids most times. But, we have never had any trouble with him....oh, except last year on Carnival. We had 9 families/34 people in our group sailing for my father-in-law's birthday cruise. Out late hanging with cousins he never met....a couple of family members caught them running down the halls...yeah, he got in trouble for that! But, other than that, it's all been good. He actually loves to cruise...probably because he can go be with kids his own age and do 'his' thing and he doesn't have to hang w/ the old parents.

His hangouts would be the Living Room & Fuel. There aren't many organized activites in port, but they do have stuff in the morning and after leaving port. Sea days have lots to do, although some activities were canceled due to lack of participation. At this age, it was a lot of just 'hanging out w/ friends' vs organized club activities. He said to make sure to go to the Meet & Greet the first day/nite aboard. If you're still freaked about it, let him go to an activity, or away for an hour or so, and then have him check in with you. Give him the chance to prove he can handle it. I'm sure he hangs out with friends at home...not really much different on the ship. Actually, it's a smaller area!

As long as you lay some rules and let him know your expectations, I think he'll be fine. He's not the only 13 year old there. As for you freaking out, nothing a nice, adult beverage can't cure :D Sure, it'll be weird at first, but you'll actually find it relaxing with him out doing his own thing. It's hard to let them grow up...but they will whether we want them to or not.

Good luck and have a great cruise!

I'm glad you enjoyed the review and it will be helpful to your clients!

This was Ryan's 3rd cruise and we felt comfortable letting him roam and explore the ship (he has a great sense of direction and ends up helping us). He does have his rules, such as nobody in our cabin (EVER) and he is not to go in anyone else's. If he ever loses sight of his drink (he has soda card), he is to get a new drink. He needs to check in with us every once in a while. We have the Compasses the night before, and we get 2 of his...one for him, one for us. He highlights what he plans to do, and we write on his Compass what we plan to do. He will usually find us, but we also take a dry erase marker and leave it on the vanity in the cabin. This allows him (and us) to leave messages on the mirror (dry erase marker = erasable w/ a tissue) of where we are going to be in case our (or his) plans change. We set a time for him to return to the cabin to get ready for dinner also. He's a good, responsible kid and we trust him to keep track of the time (setting his watch ahead 5-10 minutes w/o his knowledge doesn't hurt either ;) ) I don't worry about his safety, because he knows to stay away from the railings. If he's not in a group activity, he's with other kids. And, he is also a 3rd degree blackbelt, so I don't worry about him being able to defend himself against an attacker. It's all a matter of how responsible/mature your son is.... He's going to want to be on his own and hang with 'friends', sounds like now is the time. It's actually harder on the parents than the kids most times. But, we have never had any trouble with him....oh, except last year on Carnival. We had 9 families/34 people in our group sailing for my father-in-law's birthday cruise. Out late hanging with cousins he never met....a couple of family members caught them running down the halls...yeah, he got in trouble for that! But, other than that, it's all been good. He actually loves to cruise...probably because he can go be with kids his own age and do 'his' thing and he doesn't have to hang w/ the old parents.

His hangouts would be the Living Room & Fuel. There aren't many organized activites in port, but they do have stuff in the morning and after leaving port. Sea days have lots to do, although some activities were canceled due to lack of participation. At this age, it was a lot of just 'hanging out w/ friends' vs organized club activities. He said to make sure to go to the Meet & Greet the first day/nite aboard. If you're still freaked about it, let him go to an activity, or away for an hour or so, and then have him check in with you. Give him the chance to prove he can handle it. I'm sure he hangs out with friends at home...not really much different on the ship. Actually, it's a smaller area!

As long as you lay some rules and let him know your expectations, I think he'll be fine. He's not the only 13 year old there. As for you freaking out, nothing a nice, adult beverage can't cure :D Sure, it'll be weird at first, but you'll actually find it relaxing with him out doing his own thing. It's hard to let them grow up...but they will whether we want them to or not.

Good luck and have a great cruise!

Thanks so much! The last cruise he checked himself in and then called me and let me know he made it and then when he left he called when he was on his way...I did ok but it seemed like an eternity until he came back...LOL. He is a really good, responsible kid too. I think he will be fine and this helps a lot! We just had a little meeting about all of your suggestions and he agrees. Thanks so so so much! I feel better about letting out the reins a little...I dont trust anybody I cant help it! LOL.

Hey checked out your sailing trip link...wow that looks so cool! Do you have to know how to sail? I didnt see a captain as one of the amenities...LOL

XXOO

Kim:)

AMAZING review!!! I am even more excited for my upcoming cruise with my son! We are going to Labadee and Falmouth so it is great to see what we will encounter. Dragon zip line, Dragon coaster and Aqua park at Labadee and then the Dolphin Excursion and Dunn's River at Falmouth. Loved the pics of the zipline and coaster. :)

You also releived some fears about Jamaica.. I kept reading how unsafe it is!

How does the soda card thing work?/ I would assume you pay up front for the cup and sodas?? My son LOVES his pop.. so this may be the best bet!

Thanks again for the review:)

Thanks so much! The last cruise he checked himself in and then called me and let me know he made it and then when he left he called when he was on his way...I did ok but it seemed like an eternity until he came back...LOL. He is a really good, responsible kid too. I think he will be fine and this helps a lot! We just had a little meeting about all of your suggestions and he agrees. Thanks so so so much! I feel better about letting out the reins a little...I dont trust anybody I cant help it! LOL.

Hey checked out your sailing trip link...wow that looks so cool! Do you have to know how to sail? I didnt see a captain as one of the amenities...LOL

XXOO

Kim:)

See...you already were on your way! Baby steps ;) I'm sure he'll be fine...just "Mom jitters"...we all get them. Just trust HIM...you know him best. Before you know it, you'll be cruising and NEVER see him...lol....

We rented our catamaran in Tortola. My brother-in-law has rented cats and monohulls (sailboats) and sailed them before. He loves to sail, but living in Fla working for a living, he has little time (& limited resources [has 3 teens]) to get there and do it. My husband has always wanted to go and learn how to sail too. So happens this is the year we can all get together and do it. (It's really expensive when you include airfare, ferry and FOOD! Booze is cheap, food is NOT!)

That said, we rent 'bareboat' because BIL can sail. You CAN hire a captain to sail it for you, and you can even hire a crew (which would include cooking for you), but that is more $$, of course. :rolleyes: (there's a tab there to link you to it: 'yachts with crew') I think you have to have training to sail it..maybe a certification of some sorts? I'm not really sure, but I do know we got a 'returning captain' discount...which would be my BIL, as he's sailed before.

AMAZING review!!! I am even more excited for my upcoming cruise with my son! We are going to Labadee and Falmouth so it is great to see what we will encounter. Dragon zip line, Dragon coaster and Aqua park at Labadee and then the Dolphin Excursion and Dunn's River at Falmouth. Loved the pics of the zipline and coaster. :)

You also releived some fears about Jamaica.. I kept reading how unsafe it is!

How does the soda card thing work?/ I would assume you pay up front for the cup and sodas?? My son LOVES his pop.. so this may be the best bet!

Thanks again for the review:)

Just outside the port area, or on a tour, Jamaica is safe. I think where they are NO tourists, that would be the dicey area? We didn't go far...really. I don't know about most of the country, but it's a poor country. So, they really more "bug" you to purchase their goods. I'd say it's a "pushy" country...at least, what I've seen of it.

We prepurchased the soda card online before we went. This way, his cup would be in our cabin when we got there, there would be a logo on his card (not a sticker that could come off) and we wouldn't be STANDING IN LINE on our vacation for it ;) The cup comes free w/ the package..whether you buy onboard or prepurchase (which is what I recommend if you know you want it). He can then get soda anywhere at anytime, even if he DOESN'T have his soda cup, just by flashing his card. Happy cruising. :)

Ryansmom...Sam said I wish Ryan was going he looks like a fun guy...hes funny...I think he will be fine...I have to start letting him have a bit more freedom...:o Thanks again!

iamerica...Jamaica can be dicey...you just have to be aware...I have been there many time being a travel agent and have been approached almost every time by someone selling drugs...if someone starts to approach you hands up and say "No thanks" thats what I always do and they usually turn around and walk away...I have seen pax stopped and being handcuffed on my way to the ship before...buying one joint will get you into a third world country jail and I dont think they have the standards we do...LOL. Never go anywhere that is not a resort or a tourist area either...very dangerous...and volatile...now dont be scared because it is a really pretty place (resort areas and such) it is full of poverty in non-trourist areas so stick to the pretty areas and you will be fine! Have a blast!

xxoo

Kim:D

I second that advice......the heavily tourist populated areas are generally safe, but don't rent a car and start exploring. Don't stop to talk with anyone selling anything, stick to the stalls and shops. Ganja is pot, so don't be tempted.

Enjoy the scenery, the musical accents, and the Red Stripe beer!

I second that advice......the heavily tourist populated areas are generally safe, but don't rent a car and start exploring. Don't stop to talk with anyone selling anything, stick to the stalls and shops. Ganja is pot, so don't be tempted.

Enjoy the scenery, the musical accents, and the Red Stripe beer!

:D Exactly right!

XXOO

Kim

Thanks for Jamaica advice!! No Ganja for this girl!!! hahaha.. not even sure wht I would do with it:eek: I am hoping to do the Dolphin excursion and Dunn's river through RCC.... Thinking that will take most of our day and then just relax in the "pretty" areas!

We may have to prepay for the soda card! I figure if I am going to gain 10+pounds eating all those yummy looking cupcakes I can let my son have all the pop he wants!! Fair is fair right?!?!

Now only to wait until the end of February!

Thanks for Jamaica advice!! No Ganja for this girl!!! hahaha.. not even sure wht I would do with it:eek: I am hoping to do the Dolphin excursion and Dunn's river through RCC.... Thinking that will take most of our day and then just relax in the "pretty" areas!

We may have to prepay for the soda card! I figure if I am going to gain 10+pounds eating all those yummy looking cupcakes I can let my son have all the pop he wants!! Fair is fair right?!?!

Now only to wait until the end of February!

Here is a link to the Dolphin Swim I did...so cool and so worth the money...make sure you do the swim and not the touch...much more enjoyable...at 3:04 and 3:34 thats me! At the end if you watch the cute guy and girl that throw out the ring for the dolphin to retrieve? The ring has an engagement ring attached and he proposed! We were all crying!

XXOO

Kim:D

• 2 months later...
Sorry this is a bit late getting started, but I had a LOT of pictures and video to go through first.

I write my trip reports a whole day at a time, inserting the pictures as I go. This is what is SO time consuming.

First...a little background info into the trip.

My son Ryan, husband Randy & I actually flew to Florida July 1st to spend the week with my father-in-law. July 4th is his birthday and we are there every year at that time. My husband's brother also lives in Florida in the Daytona area.

After spending the week at Dad's, we went to brother-in-law's house for a long weekend. (& yes...saw the shuttle launch while we were there)

Our second night at brother's, he decided we'd spend the evening at HIS in-law's home in Winter Springs. A little off the plan, but it was okay, as we see sister-in-law's family every year anyway while we are in Florida.

Our cruise begins from their house the morning of the cruise......

Do they have the midnight buffet onboard? Do you happen to remember what night it was, what time, and the location?? Thanks so much! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for an indepth review. My wife and I are going heading over for our Honeymoon on the Freedom next week (30th). You pics have answered tons of questions. Also we are staying in cabin 2320! So we know what to expect in the room.

Archived