Freedom of the Seas-Western--1100+ pictures/video-July 10, 2011 sailing

Ryan is Ryan, and a cutie he is. I owe you a big thank you. Been checking out the menus and have made a change in our Chops rezzy. We were booked on Wednesday, and found out we really weren't to wild about Monday. OOPS, glad we could reschedule. I'd rather eat lasagne than duck. Thank You, thank you!

Ryan is Ryan, and a cutie he is. I owe you a big thank you. Been checking out the menus and have made a change in our Chops rezzy. We were booked on Wednesday, and found out we really weren't to wild about Monday. OOPS, glad we could reschedule. I'd rather eat lasagne than duck. Thank You, thank you!

I wouldn't eat quack quack either:D

This is absolutely the best review I've ever read on any cruise ship, any cruise line. We are cruising with you as we read it. It's phenomenal! And I hope you do at least one a year.

A new question: what is it about the seats in the Screening Room that makes them so

uncomfortable? I take up more room than I used to (surprise), and wonder if it's because

they're too narrow? or hard as a rock?

Falmouth looks much better than I would have thought from past threads....some people

have decided to stay aboard based on those. When I was there in '82 or so, we visited

a church which was pretty much the only thing they had to show us. It looks like an excellent new port, plus I'm sure the power that be want to make it as inviting as possible.

Thanks for giving us this cruise experience. When we sail in October, I'll have know some

of the places to see and things to do I might not have though about.

Mimi

I Just spent an hour and a half reading the first part of the review! :eek: Oh well, since Freedom departed from Port Cavaveral on a cruise today, I can read one section of your review per day starting today and pretend you're live on the ship this week.

Keep up the great review! :D

This is absolutely the best review I've ever read on any cruise ship, any cruise line. We are cruising with you as we read it. It's phenomenal! And I hope you do at least one a year.

A new question: what is it about the seats in the Screening Room that makes them so

uncomfortable? I take up more room than I used to (surprise), and wonder if it's because

they're too narrow? or hard as a rock?

Falmouth looks much better than I would have thought from past threads....some people

have decided to stay aboard based on those.

I'm glad you are enjoying the review and pix of Falmouth. In my reading on CC before we left, I saw very few pictures of the port and the same reviews..."the port isn't finished yet". But...what WAS there done? So, before I left, I decided I was going to take a lot of pictures to show what the port is lookin' like. It was further along than I thought (based on what I read and the pix I saw here on CC).

As for the seats in the Screening Room....they are usual movie theater sized seats. After a while, the bottoms of the seats just get uncomfortable. When I notice I have to shift my weight around, that seat is uncomfy. It's not something you first notice when you sit in them...it's after awhile you can't get comfy. Either your butt is hurting or going numb :(

I write a vacation review every year, but we don't cruise every year. Our last cruise was Disney Wonder in '08...4 nite Bahamas and last year 5 nite western caribbean on Carnival. I can link you to them if you want...it's the same format, but they are old already! :eek: I'll write one next year after our vacation...we are renting a sailboat (with my brother-in-law's family) and sailing the British Virgin Islands for a week.

I Just spent an hour and a half reading the first part of the review! :eek:

OMG! :eek: Sorry to chew up so much of your evening! :o

This is an excellent review and thankyou for formatting the pictures the way you have - incorporated into the story so we can choose whether to click or not, but have the right photo pop up!

Waiting for the next part.....:D

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit! I decided to click on your screen name and

look at your posts to find your other reviews.......got the message "search disabled".

I've seen people complaining about not being able to search, but didn't know it was

completely down! If you could post links, that would be great.

Mimi

OMG! :eek: Sorry to chew up so much of your evening! :o

Don't worry, I didn't have any other plans. :) I'm on CC all afternoon anyway.

Didn't take as long to read part two. Took about 20 minuites to read part two of your review today compared to over an hour to read part one yesterday.

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit! I decided to click on your screen name and

look at your posts to find your other reviews.......got the message "search disabled".

I've seen people complaining about not being able to search, but didn't know it was

completely down! If you could post links, that would be great.

Mimi

What reviews were you looking for exactly? (so I know what to link you to)

Didn't take as long to read part two. Took about 20 minuites to read part two of your review today compared to over an hour to read part one yesterday.

I wish they only took that long to write :o

Wow you certainly have done a fantastic job with you review. The links for the pics are awesome. This is helping to hold me over until we sail over New Year!

Thanks again for all the great pictures and information. I am looking forward to the remainder of your trip :)

What reviews were you looking for exactly? (so I know what to link you to)

I'd like to read any other cruise reviews you have done, as I really like your format. Makes

it all very real. If you have too many, I understand why you wouldn't want to give me all

the links, but a couple would be great.

Mimi

I'd like to read any other cruise reviews you have done, as I really like your format. Makes

it all very real. If you have too many, I understand why you wouldn't want to give me all

the links, but a couple would be great.

Mimi

Here is a link to our Disney Wonder cruise in '08. Note: my son is referred to as "Bubba"...as they know him as that on that board.

Here is a link to last year's Carnival Inspiration cruise. It was a family gathering for my father-in-law's 75th birthday. (again, son referred to as "Bubba")

I was hoping to get the next day up here tonight...but, it won't make it till morning.

My son started Jr High this week, and that's a new school in our district. Which means, he's getting up an hour earlier than last year :o If that weren't bad enough, he's playing soccer for school and practice is everyday after school (2:20) till 5pm (school starts 7:30 and he gets on the bus at 6:45)...it's a long day for him. THEN, he comes home for dinner, a brief rest and is usually back out the door in an hour or so for karate class(es).

He is beat this first week, so we are trying to get through it and into a routine for him.

I'll get the next day up tomorrow.... Thanx for being patient & reading :)

Day 14 -- Thursday, July 14

Cruise Day 5 -- GeorgeTown, Grand Cayman

Today's Compass.

I was up for the sunrise this morning! Holy cow!!! :eek: That like NEVER happens. But, today we had an early snorkel excursion. 10am. Ryan on the other hand.... He's at 'that age' where he likes to sleep in and does not do mornings.

Our excursion tickets told us to meet at 9:45 on shore and it also said to allow 45 minutes to tender in. We set the alarm for 7am and by 7:30 we were at Windjammer for breakfast. The longest part of breakfast is finding a table, especially on a port day and early in the morning. Most people have plans and are trying to eat and get off the ship. It doesn't take us long to eat luckily. After breakfast, we went back to our cabin to get changed into our swim clothes and grab what we'd need for the day.

We had hardly any wait getting off the ship and onto the tender. The tender was almost full, but we did manage to find some of the last few seats and we left not long after we boarded the tender. I didn't realize it was only 8:50am.

We were walking ON Grand Cayman just a few minutes before 9am. We had time to kill, so we walked around a little bit. We took some pictures and some video. We had walked to the left of where we got off the ship this year. Last year we walked into the shopping area to the right. Should have gone that way again, but I wanted to see what was the other direction. Not much.

Pictures while in Grand Cayman: There was also the Carnival Conquest in port with us that day. The ship, only a short walk to a kayak excursion, this is our "this year" & "next year" picture (because next year we are going sailing in the BVI) and Ryan waiting patiently for us to take video and pictures....either that, or he wasn't "awake" yet?

We walked around for a while and went back to the meeting area for excursions. I thought they'd have a sign or banner up to meet at, but turns out, just a member of the staff was standing where you enter the port area, from the ship, holding a sign. We had been there earlier than her and that's why we didn't see her when we first got onto land. We just decided to hang out and wait the last 15 minutes or so for our excursion to begin. In that short amount of time, we saw two brides (not together) arrive for their weddings. They looked beautiful. Once everyone arrived for our excursion, we headed toward our motorcoaches. I would have rathered her NOT walk through all the Carnival people gathering around for their excursions because we did get separated walking toward our motorcoach. Spread it out and meet further out where there's more room to walk. :mad:

We did board our motorcoaches (three I think) and they drove us to Seven Mile Beach. Unfortunately, the only picture I took here was of the waverunners. slaphead.gif Apparently this is where we were catching our catamaran. It wasn't a long ride, about 5-10 minutes or so. Through the shopping and hotel area. It's a very nice area and ride.

Once at the beach, the catamaran pulled right up to the beach, and, after signing our waivers, we got on. We like the catamarans with the steps vs. the ladders, it's so much easier...especially for the boy. We grabbed a seat up in the front and settled in for the ride.

Random catamaran pix: the view from the catamaran, hoisting the sail. It's just so beautiful, here are some pictures on our way to our first snorkel site: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and how far from port we were. It was such a nice sail out to our spot... Randy & I even saw a sea turtle in the water diving down. Unfortunately it was too far away to get a picture, but it was cool to see.

Our first stop to snorkel was the USS Kittiwake. It's a ship they purposely sank for a reef. It just so happened when they sank it, it landed upright on the bottom. It was an awesome sight. I took many pictures while Randy took video. This was also the first snorkeling excursion we've done where the lifevests were optional. Every other time they were mandatory. We prefer not to use them and Ry was going to try and snorkel without it, but Dad told him to wear a vest....just in case.

Randy was in the water first, then Ryan, me behind him, and then me (the usual order). At first he said the water was cold. I reminded him to give it a minute, it'll feel perfect...and it did. Then we were off to see the sunken ship.

Pix from the Kittiwake snorkel: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 and 49.

We were here for a while and then it was back on the catamaran to head to a reef to snorkel. This time Ry didn't wear a lifevest and he did really well without it. I always forget how salty that water really is and how you just float...even if you don't try!

This reef was actually a series of five reefs. It was in sections and you could see exactly where they were in the water. My husband was off right away and I stayed with the boy. We were swimming on out over the reefs and some of them were really shallow! If I would have reached my hand down I would have touched some of them! This sort of freaked Ryan out a bit, he wasn't used to such shallow reefs. But, we went around some of the higher parts and made it about half way out.

Pix from the reef snorkel: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16.

Then he complained something bit him on the back of his leg. :confused: I looked but didn't see anything. He wasn't happy anymore and wanted to go back to the catamaran. That was fine, so I took his hand and toward the catamaran we went. I made sure he got back up on it okay and then I started to go back out and there was my husband! He'd been all the way out and back already! So, we took some pictures and I told him what happened with the boy and we went out checking out the reef together. I noticed in the distance there was rain. I wasn't worried because we were in beautiful water and off to snorkel together.

I found a school of fish just hanging out and took their picture. I was taking a lot of pictures while my husband was taking video. It was he who alerted me that they were calling all aboard. We were the last two back on the boat. :o

Some of our pix: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 and 21.

It was a nice sail back to shore. Of course, more pictures along the way: beautiful water, on the catamaran, me & my son, bringing the sail down, the sail packed down, two pictures of the gorgeous water: 1 and 2.

Once back on shore, we got back on the motorcoaches to take us back to the ship. While waiting to leave, we checked out our pictures and video we took underwater. It's hard to see what you are taking video/pictures of while you are out in the sun. You just have to hope you are getting what you want. We hit a little bit of traffic on the way back, giving me time to take some pictures.

The cemetary, the Carnival ship, Freedom, and a bit closer, on the table are freshly caught fish and one last picture of Freedom before arriving back at the port area.

Now we arrived back at the port area, and after we got off the motorcoach, we decided to take a few more pictures (yes...again!) of the ship. There wasn't anyone around, so we took our time before heading back to the tender area. The Carnival Conquest was there. Pictures of the Freedom of the Seas: 1, 2, I was trying to capture the beautiful colors in the water, but a point and shoot camera just doesn't cut it sometimes: 3, 4 and Ryan.

You have to know by now, there are many pictures of the ship from the tender on the way back to the ship! Pix: That Carnival ship here, here and here. Freedom of the Seas: 1, 2, 3, 4 and we've arrived.

We were back onboard and ran upstairs to change into dry clothes. We were hungry and wanted to grab some lunch. We ended up going to the Promenade to eat. I took this picture of this Britto girl on our way to Sorrentos. She was just interesting being there in the Promenade.

Randy had a sandwich from the Cafe and Ryan and I got some pizza...oh, and a pannini for Randy too.

After we ate, we went to the top deck to take pictures of Grand Cayman from up there. It was a beautiful sight.

Pictures of Grand Cayman from the top deck: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17.

I just love Grand Cayman. It's a beautiful island where I could always go and find something to do....or not. Matter of fact, I think it's our vacation destination for 2013.

We were top deck for a while doing our video/picture thing. When we were finished, we went to the Cafe for a cookie and chocolate chip scone. This was Ry's first taste of a scone. He seemed to like it. I don't care for them, too dry.

While we were there eating, I took a picture of the Cupcake Cupboard and then ran over to check out the daily offerings. Only one different today: orange creamsicle.

I left them just before 3:30. I was headed to the Crypt to learn the flash mob dance. I'd seen it mentioned before and thought "why not?" I'd like to give it a try. When else am I going to have a chance to be a part of one? I didn't know what the two boys would get into while I was there, but figured I'd meet them afterwards. Wouldn't ya know, Ry wanted to see what it was, and they showed up at the practice later on anyway! (but they stayed upstairs and watched us below)

They told me later that they'd taken up a game of shuffleboard before they came to watch me.

Practice was only about 40 minutes or so and then it was time to sail from Grand Cayman. We went to the helipad at the front of ship for departure. After we were on our way, pretty far from land, my husband pointed out a bird to me...flying at the water level. I told him I thought we were too far from land for it to be a bird. Then he realized it was actually flying fish we were seeing! Here are a few pictures of them: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

At first it was a few, then about a half dozen. At one time there had to be a dozen or a dozen and a half! There were a ton of them. They were really cool to see. We just enjoyed standing out there, but the boy was tired and headed back to our cabin to rest.

After being out on the bow for awhile, the flying fish seemed 'over'. We walked to the aft of the ship. There was a lounge chair at the very back, so I stood on it and looked over the edge. Probably the closest I've ever been to going overboard! But, it was a cool sight to see straight down. The water seems so smooth and calm directly behind the ship. I didn't have my camera, but Randy caught these pictures from his video: 1 and 2. It's really neat to see, and I recommend it...as long as you don't go overboard! :eek:

After a while, we decided to head back too. We stopped by the Cafe on the way and Randy grabbed a small sandwich, to hold him over till dinner, and we got a cookie for Ryan. When we got back to our cabin, he showed us something he had videotaped (with our waterproof videocamera we had left in the cabin). It was us standing out on the helipad on the tv...on the channel that pans across the front of the ship during the day and the Promenade at night. We thought that was funny he did that.

Tonight was our second formal night for dinner. The menu was: Vitality, Appetizer, Entrees and Desserts.

We ordered: the roasted peach soup, creamed wild mushrooms in puff pastry, cream of asparagus soup and the seafood salad to start. For dinner we ordered: the fisherman's plate and the prime rib. Ryan also ordered the lobster and Randy also ordered the prime rib (so he'd have surf and turf). IF Ryan wasn't crazy about the lobster, Randy would trade his prime rib for Ry's lobster. Ryan ate about half the lobster before getting a good portion of Randy's prime rib! Next up for dessert was the double fruit passion cheesecake and the dessert sampler. Everything was good and by the end of the meal, I thought I was gonna bust!!!

Tonight during dessert, the chefs did their walk through the dining room. I actually counted them and there were 32 or 34 (I shoulda wrote it down, cuz I forget exactly). I thought that was a lot of 'cooks in the kitchen'! But, all our meals were delicious and they deserved the applause.

After dinner, we went to the photo gallery to check on our photos. We put them all together, because we weren't buying any until the last day at sea. That way we'd have ALL of them together to go through and decide what we really wanted.

After the photo gallery, we went to arcade with Ry. We played some air hockey and skeeball. First he and his Dad played a game. He who scores the most goals, wins. We had a great time with him. I think after we killed some time there with him, he went back to the cabin and we went to the Adult Comedy show in Arcadia theater. He said he had a great time with us. We told him the feeling was mutual.

Graham was doing this show and he was really good. I think he had a dvd you could buy, but we never went looking for it. I recommend his show. Not a lot of foul language, but more funny!

The show wasn't too long and it wasn't long before we rejoined Ry in our cabin. He was watching tv (probably a Shrek movie) and having a cookie and some milk for snack. Seems he stopped by the Cafe on his way back to the cabin. Smart boy...knows where the snacks are.

It was early the next morning before we went to bed.

Video from our day in

This is an excellent review and thankyou for formatting the pictures the way you have - incorporated into the story so we can choose whether to click or not, but have the right photo pop up!

Waiting for the next part.....:D

That is nice, lots of work to do, but worthwhile.

Thanks for posting your review. I was looking for photos of the interior of Freedon and you did a great job.

Even though we are doing the Eastern Carib the ship will still look the same:)

Archived