Freedom of the Seas-Western--1100+ pictures/video-July 10, 2011 sailing

Day 15 -- Saturday, July 16

Cruise Day 7 -- Sea Day

Today's Compass.

Our last day on the cruise and of course we slept in!!

We watched Graham's morning show as we got up and got ready to go to breakfast . We got to the Windjammer around 10am. Being a sea day, it was a bit more crowded today. But, we managed to find a table and eat.

Already a late, leisurely morning, after breakfast I went back to the cabin to start packing, while Randy took Ryan to the aerobics room to practice his karate forms. I was surprised that they were back by the time I had done most of the packing. Ryan said he couldn't do too many for too long because the hard floor was hurting his hips. Made sense after I thought about it...at school they have the mats. I told him I didn't even think to tell him to try and use the boxing ring if nobody was in it. Not sure if he'd been allowed, but would have been worth a shot. He at least got a little practice in.

After I'd finished packing, I noticed Freedom Fest was happening on the Promenade and I suggested we go check it out.

Pictures: 1, 2, 3 and 4.

LOTSA food during the fest. They also had a food carving demo, napkin folding, towel folding and drink specials. In typical fashion, lots of pictures....

Food carving station: flowers, a monkey, chef carving, mice under a tree, birds, watermelon and the artist.

Food to sample: 1, 2, desserts, more desserts, logo glassware, 2, 3 and more flowers. Desserts are a big thing: 1, 2, chocolate covered bananas and strawberries, 3 and 4. They did have some [/url]sandwiches and healthy options, but it seemed it was more desserts.

I found the guys and we decided on getting a . These were delicious, but not always offered. Figured I'd have one last one.

Today was also a popular day for cupcake . In the short time we were here, I saw two different . Every decorated cupcake.

While we were on the Promenade, we decided now would be a good time to buy our souvenirs. We didn't buy anything in port (hadn't planned to) and we usually buy: the boy a t-shirt, a Christmas ornament and we get a shotglass for our collection. I think we got a postcard of the ship too. We used our Crown & Anchor coupon for our discount and still spent about $50.

After this purchase, I suggested we stop by the Photo Gallery (next deck down on our way to our cabin) to purchase the photos we wanted. I didn't think we had our picture taken that often, but there seemed so many to choose from! Randy & I each had a C&A coupon book. So we were each going to use our photo coupon for the buy 1 get 1 half off. We spread all our photos out and discussed which ones to get. Since we couldn't decide between two, I just said we'll pay full price and get that one too. So, Randy bought the 8x10s with his coupon, and I bought three 5x7s with mine. Even with coupons it was still about $55...but worth it! While we were sorting through our photos, a lady at the other end of the counter we were at, overheard us discussing the coupon. She asked where to get them and I told her if she'd sailed with Royal Caribbean before, you should have gotten a coupon book. She said she HAD sailed with Royal Caribbean before, but not gotten a coupon book. I asked her if she signed up for the Crown & Anchor Society (past guests) and she said she did not. I told her she needed to have done that. By her reaction, I think she was pissed at herself! Can't say I blame her. Ours saved us $15!

We purchased our photos and went to the cabin to put all the stuff we just bought there. No sense it dragging it all over the ship.

While back in the cabin, we checked the Compass and decided to check out the rock climbing Wall. Ryan was ready to conquer it (and his fear of heights). So, we headed up to the Sports Deck next.

I was going to climb the Wall until my wonderful husband reminded me if I wanted to keep my fingernails, I'd better not. Oh crud...I'd forgotten. Probably NOT a good idea for someone with nails :( Bummer.

So, I got to videotape and take the pictures of them climbing. they are getting to go. pretty high! Of course they would ...noooo...why would they? smiley-rolleyes008.gif So, I mainly focused on . he went. There was a point I didn't think he was going to make it because he swung , but he went back and . I don't know if he wanted to quit or the gal holding his line wouldn't let him? But, . I'm watching him the whole time thinking "wouldn't it be crazy if he got to the top and rang the bell?" I didn't care how high he got, I was just proud of him for trying.

Before I knew it, he was closer and closer and then..... WOOHOO!!! smiley-shocked003.gif I couldn't believe it. It was one of those "Proud Mom on the verge of tears here" moment!

Right after Ryan rang the bell, Randy rang his! At first, his line-holder didn't hear/notice it because he was talking to someone, so he rang it again and .

Ry told his Dad of his accomplishment and we all celebrated! .... And about ringing the bell. was SO proud of him too! A !

After they got their gear off, we tried to come up with a next plan of action. We checked the Compass and decided to go for one last ice skating session. We changed into our jeans (Ry & I grabbed our jackets) and headed to Studio B for the 3:30 session. When we got there, we were told that session was already full. We asked if we could sign up for the next (and last) one at 4:15, and they said no problem. We were even allowed to leave and come back closer to our session time. So, we registered for that and decided to kill time with a light lunch. Besides, we were getting a little hungry anyway.

We did the usual for pizza and the Cafe for cookies. We didn't sit Sorrentos, we sat at a little cafe table out on the Promenade. got his pizza and a slice for me, while Randy got . Randy also got some today too. I had a taste, they were good, not bad. I also took some more pictures of the Promenade area: , , , , , , , , and a picture of outside Vintages. We stopped in the for a cookie and I took pictures of the new cupcakes while I was at that end of the Promenade (of course). Not sure about flavor smiley-sick009.gif but the probably wouldn't have been bad.

By the time we were finished eating, and hitting the restroom, it was time for our session. admiring the while waiting for me.

I gathered them up and we went to our session. Another great time...and as it was the last offered for this cruise. Our pix: , Ryan , but can still ! My and I for .

, we went back to the cabin to get ready for dinner, while Randy went to the . He had planned to be on the floor this time (unlike the first night aboard when we were up on a higher floor) and edit the two parades together. Ry said he wasn't interested in seeing the parade again, so he stayed in the cabin with me. ...And after I was finished in the shower, I told him to get in there. I had hoped to pack up the tolietries and the rest of what we wouldn't be needing before heading to dinner...since our luggage had to be out by 10pm.

Randy got back just after 6pm and he got showered. It doesn't take him long to get ready and in no time, we were ready to leave for the 7pm Farewell show in the . Even though our dinner was 8:30 seating, if we wanted to see the show, that was around 7pm, we had to be ready for dinner before the show so we could see it because we wouldn't have time to get ready for dinner after the show.

We were early for the show and got seats in the 3rd or 4th row. It was a good show with introductions of some of the staff. Some staff from each department were on hand to applaud. , the captain and some crew , housekeeping, Guest Services desk, shore explorations desk, , ... a song...and I might add! You'd think he was the entertainment, not the cruise director! The they had was also very funny! He got a HUGE applause when he was talking about stupid people and his observation of them on the ship. The popular one was: "don't try to get ON an elevator before the people on it get OFF!" He got an applause for that from about 75% of the crowd! He was very funny and I wish he would've had his own show...I'll bet that would have been a great show! (or maybe he did and we just didn't notice it?)

They also brought back Laetitia & Artur for their

. I had hoped they would have done the acrobatics they did the first night (because Ryan was with us this time and I wanted him to see them do that), but they didn't do that, they went with the . Their pix: , , , , , and . They were great, but I preferred the regular acrobatics show they did the first night on board.

is a really good cruise director. You will have a great cruise if you sail with him. I never remember having such a good cruise director before. He really added something to the whole cruising experience.

It was a good (hour long) show and even Ryan had told me so. I told him we don't go to dumb and boring shows...we may be your parents, but we ARE fun! Even after a nice, long wait to exit the theater, we still had time to kill before dinner. We found ourselves at the Photo Gallery and saw a trying to figure out which pictures to buy. I was glad we had already done this as this place was absolutely crazy! :eek: I had a feeling it would be the last night aboard. While here, we watched some of the Cruise in Review dvd they had put together and were trying to sell. We didn't buy one because we had plenty of our own video (7-8 hrs) and pictures (1800+).

While in this area, I ran upstairs to the Guest Service area to drop our surveys in the box while the guys watched the video playing. I told them to , I'd be right back. We had a survey for the cruise and one for the Kid's Club. I quickly deposited both of them in the survey box. The cruiseline must read them, because our waiter and our cabin attendant made sure we knew their name and to give them a good review. Not that I had anything to complain about with them, they got their wish. After I dropped them in the box, I went back downstairs to to go to dinner.

I realized I never took a picture of the , so I did tonight.

Tonight's dinner menu was: , , and .

Here is a picture of with Ryan. She knew she didn't have to ask him IF he wanted bread, . Tonight Randy & I were going to order the same appetizer, so I switched my order to the and he got the (which I ate half of anyway because it was so good!) and we also got the . Ryan was when Randy wanted him to the spinach dip. , but . He finished his shrimp and ate his .

For dinner we ordered: , grilled and the tomato basil mozzarella . Everything was good and I was surprised Ryan liked the gnocchi. It was the first time he'd ever had it. I got the token "pepper?" of Randy with our server, Chetan.

For dessert, we ordered: the and the . Both were pretty good, but I only had a taste...as usual, full from dinner. After dinner, we thanked and thanked him for a week of wonderful service. I asked if he could come home with us, and he only had a laugh. Guessing not?

After dinner, I needed to finish packing so we headed back to the cabin. of on the way. (and I did notice the a bit emptier at this time of the evening. I think they were open till midnight on the last day) , we changed into the clothes we planned to wear tomorrow and I packed the rest of what we didn't need for the night while they went to the 'Majority Rules' show at Pharoh's Place. It was something for them to do together while I finished up packing.

When they got back, Randy & I went outside to the helipad...one last time. We noticed a storm brewing in the distance. We guessed it was off the Florida coast between Ft. Lauderdale & Canaveral....but it wasn't. We were further south than we thought. We just sat and watched the storm...it was cool to sit and watch.

We took only a couple pictures before the batteries died in the camera. Not a big deal...the pictures weren't turning out real great anyway. With dead batteries, we just sat and enjoyed the little bit of our last evening at sea.

We weren't gone too long. We returned back to the cabin and tucked Ryan in for bed. We headed there ourselves knowing we'd have to be up early tomorrow. Because if you want breakfast before they kick you off the ship, you'd better get there before they stop serving it!dry.gif

You mentioned Freedom Fest in the Promenade on the last day (Saturday),,I don't remember that from last year and wondering if that is something new they have started.

We will be sure to get there this trip coming up on the Freedom Jan.29th,,,we really loved her last year and looking forward to our next cruise:D:D

Day 15 -- Saturday, July 16

Cruise Day 7 -- Sea Day

Today's Compass.

Our last day on the cruise and of course we slept in!!

We watched Graham's morning show as we got up and got ready to go to breakfast . We got to the Windjammer around 10am. Being a sea day, it was a bit more crowded today. But, we managed to find a table and eat.

Already a late, leisurely morning, after breakfast I went back to the cabin to start packing, while Randy took Ryan to the aerobics room to practice his karate forms. I was surprised that they were back by the time I had done most of the packing. Ryan said he couldn't do too many for too long because the hard floor was hurting his hips. Made sense after I thought about it...at school they have the mats. I told him I didn't even think to tell him to try and use the boxing ring if nobody was in it. Not sure if he'd been allowed, but would have been worth a shot. He at least got a little practice in.

After I'd finished packing, I noticed Freedom Fest was happening on the Promenade and I suggested we go check it out.

Pictures: 1, 2, 3 and 4.

LOTSA food during the fest. They also had a food carving demo, napkin folding, towel folding and drink specials. In typical fashion, lots of pictures....

Food carving station: flowers, a monkey, chef carving, mice under a tree, birds, watermelon and the artist.

Food to sample: 1, 2, desserts, more desserts, logo glassware, 2, 3 and more flowers. Desserts are a big thing: 1, 2, chocolate covered bananas and strawberries, 3 and 4. They did have some sandwiches and healthy options, but it seemed it was more desserts.

I found the guys and we decided on getting a cookie. These carmel cookies were delicious, but not always offered. Figured I'd have one last one.

Today was also a popular day for cupcake decorating classes. In the short time we were here, I saw two different classes. Every class decorated this cupcake.

While we were on the Promenade, we decided now would be a good time to buy our souvenirs. We didn't buy anything in port (hadn't planned to) and we usually buy: the boy a t-shirt, a Christmas ornament and we get a shotglass for our collection. I think we got a postcard of the ship too. We used our Crown & Anchor coupon for our discount and still spent about $50.

After this purchase, I suggested we stop by the Photo Gallery (next deck down on our way to our cabin) to purchase the photos we wanted. I didn't think we had our picture taken that often, but there seemed so many to choose from! Randy & I each had a C&A coupon book. So we were each going to use our photo coupon for the buy 1 get 1 half off. We spread all our photos out and discussed which ones to get. Since we couldn't decide between two, I just said we'll pay full price and get that one too. So, Randy bought the 8x10s with his coupon, and I bought three 5x7s with mine. Even with coupons it was still about $55...but worth it! While we were sorting through our photos, a lady at the other end of the counter we were at, overheard us discussing the coupon. She asked where to get them and I told her if she'd sailed with Royal Caribbean before, you should have gotten a coupon book. She said she HAD sailed with Royal Caribbean before, but not gotten a coupon book. I asked her if she signed up for the Crown & Anchor Society (past guests) and she said she did not. I told her she needed to have done that. By her reaction, I think she was pissed at herself! Can't say I blame her. Ours saved us $15!

We purchased our photos and went to the cabin to put all the stuff we just bought there. No sense it dragging it all over the ship.

While back in the cabin, we checked the Compass and decided to check out the rock climbing Wall. Ryan was ready to conquer it (and his fear of heights). So, we headed up to the Sports Deck next.

I was going to climb the Wall until my wonderful husband reminded me if I wanted to keep my fingernails, I'd better not. Oh crud...I'd forgotten. Probably NOT a good idea for someone with nails :( Bummer.

So, I got to videotape and take the pictures of them climbing. Here they are getting ready to go. Looks pretty high! Of course they would not be next to each other...noooo...why would they? smiley-rolleyes008.gif So, I mainly focused on Ryan. Up he went. There was a point I didn't think he was going to make it because he swung around the side, but he went back and continued up. I don't know if he wanted to quit or the gal holding his line wouldn't let him? But, up he went. I'm watching him the whole time thinking "wouldn't it be crazy if he got to the top and rang the bell?" I didn't care how high he got, I was just proud of him for trying.

Before I knew it, he was closer and closer and then..... He RANG THE BELL!!!! WOOHOO!!! smiley-shocked003.gif I couldn't believe it. It was one of those "Proud Mom on the verge of tears here" moment!

Right after Ryan rang the bell, Randy rang his! At first, his line-holder didn't hear/notice it because he was talking to someone, so he rang it again and he came down.

Back down on the ground Ry told his Dad of his accomplishment and we all celebrated! Lookin' where he's been.... And feeling good about ringing the bell. Dad was SO proud of him too! A happy moment!

After they got their gear off, we tried to come up with a next plan of action. We checked the Compass and decided to go for one last ice skating session. We changed into our jeans (Ry & I grabbed our jackets) and headed to Studio B for the 3:30 session. When we got there, we were told that session was already full. We asked if we could sign up for the next (and last) one at 4:15, and they said no problem. We were even allowed to leave and come back closer to our session time. So, we registered for that and decided to kill time with a light lunch. Besides, we were getting a little hungry anyway.

We did the usual Sorrentos for pizza and the Cafe for cookies. We didn't sit inside Sorrentos, we sat at a little cafe table out on the Promenade. Ryan got his pizza and a slice for me, while Randy got his own. Randy also got some dessert cups today too. I had a taste, they were good, not bad. I also took some more pictures of the Promenade area: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and a picture of Ryan outside Vintages. We stopped in the Cafe for a cookie and I took pictures of the new cupcakes while I was at that end of the Promenade (of course). Not sure about this flavor smiley-sick009.gif but the german chocolate probably wouldn't have been bad.

By the time we were finished eating, and hitting the restroom, it was time for our session. My husband admiring the video editing room while waiting for me.

I gathered them up and we went to our session. Another great time...and crowded as it was the last offered for this cruise. Our pix: Randy & Ryan, Ryan improving, but Randy can still lap him! My son and I skating in for our picture.

After our skating session, we went back to the cabin to get ready for dinner, while Randy went to the Promenade for the Dreamworks parade. He had planned to be on the floor this time (unlike the first night aboard when we were up on a higher floor) and edit the two parades together. Ry said he wasn't interested in seeing the parade again, so he stayed in the cabin with me. ...And after I was finished in the shower, I told him to get in there. I had hoped to pack up the tolietries and the rest of what we wouldn't be needing before heading to dinner...since our luggage had to be out by 10pm.

Randy got back just after 6pm and he got showered. It doesn't take him long to get ready and in no time, we were ready to leave for the 7pm Farewell show in the Arcadia Theater. Even though our dinner was 8:30 seating, if we wanted to see the show, that was around 7pm, we had to be ready for dinner before the show so we could see it because we wouldn't have time to get ready for dinner after the show.

We were early for the show and got seats in the 3rd or 4th row. It was a good show with introductions of some of the staff. Some staff from each department were on hand to applaud. Chefs, the captain and some crew from the bridge, housekeeping, Guest Services desk, shore explorations desk, cruise director staff, etc... Graham sang a song...and really well I might add! You'd think he was the entertainment, not the cruise director! The comedian they had was also very funny! He got a HUGE applause when he was talking about stupid people and his observation of them on the ship. The popular one was: "don't try to get ON an elevator before the people on it get OFF!" He got an applause for that from about 75% of the crowd! He was very funny and I wish he would've had his own show...I'll bet that would have been a great show! (or maybe he did and we just didn't notice it?)

They also brought back Laetitia & Artur for their

. I had hoped they would have done the acrobatics they did the first night (because Ryan was with us this time and I wanted him to see them do that), but they didn't do that, they went with the aerial acrobatics. Their pix: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7. They were great, but I preferred the regular acrobatics show they did the first night on board.

Graham Seymour is a really good cruise director. You will have a great cruise if you sail with him. I never remember having such a good cruise director before. He really added something to the whole cruising experience.

It was a good (hour long) show and even Ryan had told me so. I told him we don't go to dumb and boring shows...we may be your parents, but we ARE fun! Even after a nice, long wait to exit the theater, we still had time to kill before dinner. We found ourselves at the Photo Gallery and saw a mob of people trying to figure out which pictures to buy. I was glad we had already done this as this place was absolutely crazy! :eek: I had a feeling it would be crowded the last night aboard. While here, we watched some of the Cruise in Review dvd they had put together and were trying to sell. We didn't buy one because we had plenty of our own video (7-8 hrs) and pictures (1800+).

While in this area, I ran upstairs to the Guest Service area to drop our surveys in the box while the guys watched the video playing. I told them to wait there, I'd be right back. We had a survey for the cruise and one for the Kid's Club. I quickly deposited both of them in the survey box. The cruiseline must read them, because our waiter and our cabin attendant made sure we knew their name and to give them a good review. Not that I had anything to complain about with them, they got their wish. After I dropped them in the box, I went back downstairs to meet the guys to go to dinner.

I realized I never took a picture of the staircase in the dining room, so I did tonight.

Tonight's dinner menu was: Vitality, Appetizers, Entrees and Desserts.

Here is a picture of Rojda our assistant server with Ryan. She knew she didn't have to ask him IF he wanted bread, he always did. Tonight Randy & I were going to order the same appetizer, so I switched my order to the onion soup and he got the spinach dip (which I ate half of anyway because it was so good!) and we also got the shrimp cocktail. Ryan was happy with his shrimp when Randy wanted him to try the spinach dip. He did try it, but didn't like it. He finished his shrimp and ate his cornmuffin.

For dinner we ordered: potato gnocchi, grilled NY strip steak and the tomato basil mozzarella calzone. Everything was good and I was surprised Ryan liked the gnocchi. It was the first time he'd ever had it. I got the token "pepper?" picture of Randy with our server, Chetan.

For dessert, we ordered: the chocolate brownie sandwich and the banana and crunchy nut parfait. Both were pretty good, but I only had a taste...as usual, full from dinner. After dinner, we thanked Chetan and thanked him for a week of wonderful service. I asked if he could come home with us, and he only had a laugh. Guessing not?

After dinner, I needed to finish packing so we headed back to the cabin. Picture of Boleros on the way. (and I did notice the Photo Gallery a bit emptier at this time of the evening. I think they were open till midnight on the last day) Back at the cabin, we changed into the clothes we planned to wear tomorrow and I packed the rest of what we didn't need for the night while they went to the 'Majority Rules' show at Pharoh's Place. It was something for them to do together while I finished up packing.

When they got back, Randy & I went outside to the helipad...one last time. We noticed a storm brewing in the distance. We guessed it was off the Florida coast between Ft. Lauderdale & Canaveral....but it wasn't. We were further south than we thought. We just sat and watched the storm...it was cool to sit and watch.

We took only a couple pictures before the batteries died in the camera. Not a big deal...the pictures weren't turning out real great anyway. With dead batteries, we just sat and enjoyed the little bit of our last evening at sea.

We weren't gone too long. We returned back to the cabin and tucked Ryan in for bed. We headed there ourselves knowing we'd have to be up early tomorrow. Because if you want breakfast before they kick you off the ship, you'd better get there before they stop serving it!dry.gif

Looks like they changed that last night menu alot,,,getting hungry already..

I forgot to ask.......what is Freedom Fest? Just reread your last day and it reminded me.

I have thoroughly enjoyed cruising with you, and, boy, has it whetted my appetite for our

Oct 16 cruise. I told a friend about your review, and she commented it would make her feel like she had already cruised and there was nothing new to learn.

I told her seeing the food makes me want to taste it. Seeing everything you saw made me want to see it myself. Even seeing the cabin made me anticipate that good feeling the first time you go into it and close the door. It's all yours...no cooking, no cleaning, just enjoyment. What you've done is give us an extra cruise....and that's a good thing.

Mimi

I loved reading your review and seeing all your pics. BUT now I can feel that I am getting those post cruise blues. :(

nah....have next summer's vacation planned :D

I forgot to ask.......what is Freedom Fest? Just reread your last day and it reminded me.

I have thoroughly enjoyed cruising with you, and, boy, has it whetted my appetite for our

Oct 16 cruise. I told a friend about your review, and she commented it would make her feel like she had already cruised and there was nothing new to learn.

I told her seeing the food makes me want to taste it. Seeing everything you saw made me want to see it myself. Even seeing the cabin made me anticipate that good feeling the first time you go into it and close the door. It's all yours...no cooking, no cleaning, just enjoyment. What you've done is give us an extra cruise....and that's a good thing.

Mimi

Freedom Fest is just a buncha food on the Promenade (like we need more food!) And some demos....food carvin', the towel & napkin folding, etc... Nothing special, but was something different to do. Why not? ;)

re: your friend....there is NO way she could feel like she 'already cruised' by reading a review :confused: I look at it as research and "looking forward to seeing it myself". But....to each their own. At least you enjoyed it ;)

Glad everyone is enjoying it...workin on last day....

Thanks, Freedom Fest sounds like it's right up my alley. As far as your review, I just recommended it to someone who was asking about Falmouth. You wrote it so well, it could be used to answer any number of questions about Freedom, Western Caribbean itineraries, or shipboard life in general. I'm looking forward to your next cruise.

Mimi

This is probably the best cruise review I've ever read. You provide great insight into every facet of your cruise, and coupled with the hundreds of pictures and videos its like we were there with you. Now I have a better idea of what I want to do on our cruise in November.

Thanks

Hands down the best review I have seen! Thank you so much!!! I'm leaving for my first cruise in just about a week and still had so many questions. Well after reading your review and looking at all the pics, my questions have been answered and I am more than ready to set sail :cool:

RyansMom, thanks for letting us spend the week with your family. it was GREATTTTT! You did a wonderful job

You're welcome and thank you. Glad to have you along for the trip ;)

the best cruise review with pics

thanks! pics=memories

Thanks, Freedom Fest sounds like it's right up my alley. As far as your review, I just recommended it to someone who was asking about Falmouth. You wrote it so well, it could be used to answer any number of questions about Freedom, Western Caribbean itineraries, or shipboard life in general. I'm looking forward to your next cruise.

Mimi

Thank you. I really wanted to review Falmouth after reading the same thing over and over about it prior to our cruise (one reason for that many pix). Unfortunately, no cruise booked in our future because next year we have rented a catamaran (with husband's brother & his wife/kids) and are sailing the BVI for a week. Year after, we're skipping cruising and flying to Grand Cayman for the week. I will probably still write a review of both vacations, as we love to have them for the memory and share with our "friends". Usually I post a link to the new review at the end of last year's vacation review. Since you're subscribed to this thread, you'll most likely get that email notification ;)

This is probably the best cruise review I've ever read. You provide great insight into every facet of your cruise, and coupled with the hundreds of pictures and videos its like we were there with you. Now I have a better idea of what I want to do on our cruise in November.

Thanks

Thank you...We love to have the pix & video for memories. (It's just a lot to go thru when we get home!) I'm glad I could help you with planning your trip. Have a wonderful vacation!

Hands down the best review I have seen! Thank you so much!!! I'm leaving for my first cruise in just about a week and still had so many questions. Well after reading your review and looking at all the pics, my questions have been answered and I am more than ready to set sail :cool:

Thank you. Glad I could help answer some questions. Hopefully no surprises for ya! Bon Voyage!

Hey Ryan's Mom....love, love, love your review!

Could you tell me which nights were formal nights? I thought it was day 2 and 6 but I believe your review said day 2 and 5. Wonder if it's different depending on itinerary?

Thanks again for such a comprehensive review with great pictures!

Thank you so much for sharing your cruise with us. I will be going on my first cruise ever on FOS on Oct 23 and I am even more excited after reading your review!

You're welcome. Have a great trip!

Hey Ryan's Mom....love, love, love your review!

Could you tell me which nights were formal nights? I thought it was day 2 and 6 but I believe your review said day 2 and 5. Wonder if it's different depending on itinerary?

Thanks again for such a comprehensive review with great pictures!

First formal nite was Day 2...Sea Day. Second formal nite was Grand Cayman day...Day 5. (Luckily we bought 1 picture from each formal nite...helped me remember ;) ) Maybe it's days 2 & 6 on Eastern itinerary?

You're welcome. Have a great trip!

First formal nite was Day 2...Sea Day. Second formal nite was Grand Cayman day...Day 5. (Luckily we bought 1 picture from each formal nite...helped me remember ;) ) Maybe it's days 2 & 6 on Eastern itinerary?

You are correct on the Eastern Itinerary. I did that cruise last year. :D

ryansmom, I hope you don't mind, I have a few questions about your wonderful cruise??

We have only cruised once before, but judging from what I've read of your cruise and your photos, I guess they can vary quite a bit??

Was the Windjammer the only place to get breakfast?

Are there more options for ordering that aren't listed on the menu? We discovered that on the Celebrity cruise you could order a steak any nite, if you didn't like what was being offered...

Did you encounter long lines for the H2O Zone or the Rock climbing wall?

You have put an amazing amount of work into your review and I would like to thank you. We are cruising next summer and your review is a great resource in assisting me in choosing the right cruise for the 4 of us.

My kids are quite a bit older than your Ryan, I am hoping they enjoy themselves as much as yours seemed to.

Bless you for this!!!

Sissy

ryansmom, I hope you don't mind, I have a few questions about your wonderful cruise??

We have only cruised once before, but judging from what I've read of your cruise and your photos, I guess they can vary quite a bit??

Was the Windjammer the only place to get breakfast?

Are there more options for ordering that aren't listed on the menu? We discovered that on the Celebrity cruise you could order a steak any nite, if you didn't like what was being offered...

Did you encounter long lines for the H2O Zone or the Rock climbing wall?

You have put an amazing amount of work into your review and I would like to thank you. We are cruising next summer and your review is a great resource in assisting me in choosing the right cruise for the 4 of us.

My kids are quite a bit older than your Ryan, I am hoping they enjoy themselves as much as yours seemed to.

Bless you for this!!!

Sissy

Always happy to answer a question or more....

Windjammer is not the only place to get breakfast...MDR and the Cafe on the Promenade have breakfast, but we prefer the buffet. It's a "not waiting for service...move at our own pace and get everything we want" thing for us. In '08 (Disney cruise), we did eat one morning's breakfast in the MDR and it was pretty much the same...except for my scrambled eggs. They were actually worse in the MDR...still unsure how you undercook scrambled eggs :confused: WJ was just a preference for us.

I've always found you can order whatever you are looking for. All you have to do is ask...and the worst they can say is 'no'. There wasn't anything like that for us on this cruise, but (again) on our Disney cruise, one evening they had cheesecake creme brulee for dessert. My Mom took a pass saying she just preferred regular creme brulee. Our server took it upon himself to get her just that. The way I figure is: we are all on the same ship with the same food. Sure, there may be an upcharge or it may be in another part of the ship (MDR, WJ, specialty restaurant), but darn it...IF what you want is on that ship somewhere, you should be able to order it.

We didn't use the H20 Zone, but it's more of a play area, so I don't know that there'd be any lines there. As for the Rock Wall, after it rained in Cozumel and it opened, there was a line...long enuf for us to decide to skip it (but, we would have been cutting in on getting ready for dinner). When we did get to it, the line at the counter (to sign in and get shoes/harness) wasn't long, so we decided to do it. Then we realized how long the line was at the entrance to the wall (to actually climb). Turns out, as long as it was, it actually moved pretty quickly. We waited about 10 minutes or so in line.... If you plan to do it, make sure you don't wear a black t-shirt...cuz while waiting in the hot sun in a black t-shirt can get pretty hot ;)

I'm sure you'll love the Freedom if you choose her. She's a great ship and, after last year's fisaco on the Carnival Inspiration, I had a VERY HIGH EXPECTATIONS for this cruise.

Absolutely NOT disappointed.

Happy planning!!

Day 16 -- Sunday, July 17

Cruise Day 8 -- Debarkation & fly home

Today's Compass. Oh wait....there isn't one. :(

It was up early for us today...can't remember exactly when...maybe 7:30ish??

We were up, got ready and packed up the rest of what we used that morning. We grabbed our bags and headed to Windjammer for breakfast. We went there because they served until 8:30, unlike the dining room that served till only 8am.

It was REALLY crowded this morning. It was hard to find a table, but we did eventually. We took our time eating because we were in no hurry this morning.

While we had been sitting there eating, I got a voicemail from the car company that was picking us up. It was just a reminder call, but the driver left me his cell number which would turn out to be a wonderful thing. After eating, I called him and got his voicemail. I left him a message asking him if there was any way he could come sooner for us?

At our seat at breakfast, we had a perfect view of the Disney terminal. The Dream wasn't there, so no picture of her. She's doing 5 night Bahamas right now.

We only left the Windjammer because they were cleaning up and trying to get ready for the lunch crowd.

Normally, we would leave the ship en route to Universal Orlando or my father-in-law's house, but we were flying home that afternoon. We had already spent a week before the cruise at Dad's and my brother-in-law's. Not knowing what time we'd be off the ship and clear customs, I booked our car for noon (toldja we was in no hurry!) smiley-laughing002.gif

Not long after we left the Windjammer, I got a call back from him saying he could come sooner...he'd be there in about an hour.

Not a problem. We went to the top deck and took in the scenery. Savoring our last moments on board.

We watched the dock peeps do their thing...recycling, food coming, luggage..... Until we were asked to go. 9:30ish. Sigh.

We headed off the ship and stood in line to leave. LOVE how it's always "hurry! hurry off!", yet only to be backed up in a line smiley-rolleyes008.gif (almost as bad as "Wait Disney World")

We had zero problems finding our luggage, after all, most people were gone already! Once we retrieved our bags, I moved some of our carry-off items into the other bags. A lighter load to carry ON the plane was a good idea!

We had nothing to declare and barely stopped going through customs.

Outside we waited for our car. He was about an hour, like he said.

He picked us up and we were on our way to MCO. There was no traffic and we arrived in plenty of time for our 3pm flight. We checked our luggage and printed our boarding passes.... "A" passes for Southwest. (We had Dad & Joyce check us in yesterday online and they did great.)

We stopped by the food court for something to eat, but the lines were crazy long! Randy said, "Forget it. We'll get something on the other side of security." And that's where we headed.....

Ryan got flagged at security and they pulled him aside and wiped his hands for residue. At least his hands were clean then...heehee. After clearing security, we stopped at that McDonalds. On THIS side of security, NO lines ;) We sat and ate some burgers and filled our drink cups (Ryan's cup from his soda package and my cup from Labadee). I called home to see who had our dog. Either my client who we dropped him off with 17 days ago, or my Mom. My client is 70 and her and her husband have a camper at the Delaware shore. They were thinking of going to their camper while we were away (they usually go every weekend in the summer from Wed/Thursday and come home Monday or Tuesday) and if they did, they'd turn our dog over to my Mom to watch him. So, called Mom's first, he wasn't there. My client had kept him. Called her next and told her we were at the airport and about what time we'd be by to pick him up. Turns out, they didn't go to the shore the whole time we were gone because the painters they'd hired to do some work at their house, finally decided to show up and do some work!

After my phone calls, we made our way to our gate. Once at our gate, we plugged in the laptop and watched the end of the movie we watched on the way down (Diary of a Wimpy Kid-Roderick Rules). We didn't miss much, so it didn't take long.

After the movie, Ryan played his DSiXL or PSPGo while Randy & I checked out what we'd missed on the internet. Checked our emails and he checked his Facebook & Twitter....just killing time and catching up with the real world. It's always strange when you come back from a cruise...no internet, cell phones, news...You can feel disconnected from the world while at sea!

Before we knew it, it was time to board our flight home. We were over the wing again and our in-flight movie home was Toy Story 3. We hadn't seen it yet because we were saving it to watch on the plane. I thought it was good, but expected much better (based on what I'd heard). Movies on the plane always makes the flight go by fast.

We arrived home on time, but had to wait forever and a day for our luggage. I will never, for the life of me, understand how MCO does luggage SO efficiently, while Philadelphia never seems to have a clue? We went to the carousel we were told to. They said another flight's luggage would be there, as would an Air Tran's luggage before our flight's...even though there wasn't anyone standing around that carousel. Yeah. Okay. NO sense in using the Air Tran carousel NEXT to the one we were standing at! I think because Southwest and Air Tran are going to become one, they decided to only use 2 out of the 3 luggage carousels there. Dumb. But...that's PHL for ya!

Finally, after what seemed over 15 minutes, we got our luggage and I called for our car. They were there within 10 minutes and we hopped in and left for home.

We were concerned how much traffic we'd hit on the way home because of 'shore' traffic (flight arrived around 5:30), but we didn't hit much. Closer to home, we stopped at a Wendy's drive-thru for dinner. Where they decided to mess up my burger order...twice!! Yeah...this ain't no Royal Caribbean dear. dry.gif After I finally got what I wanted, we headed toward home...arriving back in our home area in just about an hour after leaving the airport. We stopped to pick up the dog and he was beyond happy to see us. Since he was there for 17 days, he may have thought that was his new home...lol. He couldn't wait to go, so we didn't stay long and left.

Back at home, begins the 'back to routine' craziness. Mail, grocery store, etc.... All would be taken care of tonite and tomorrow (we both don't work the day after returning home from vacation).

All in all....a great trip. I had a LOT of expectations of the Freedom ship, and I was not disappointed at all. We would definitely sail on her again!

We are super excited for our vacation next year. We've rented a catamaran on Tortola, BVI and we (us 3 and my brother-in-law, his wife and 3 kids) are going to sail island to island in the BVI for a week next July. smiley-dance005.gif

Hi Ryansmom - Loved your review. We are sailing on the Freedom next April and can't .

I have a quick question for you - did the Ship change time in the Cayman islands, or did it stay on Florida time. I understand that The Cayman Islands don't turn their clocks ahead an hour in the Spring so The Cayman Islands are an hour behind Florida time from March until November. I was looking at a private tour and wanted to confirm if their time will be different from the ship time. Thanks!

Hi Ryansmom - Loved your review. We are sailing on the Freedom next April and can't .

I have a quick question for you - did the Ship change time in the Cayman islands, or did it stay on Florida time. I understand that The Cayman Islands don't turn their clocks ahead an hour in the Spring so The Cayman Islands are an hour behind Florida time from March until November. I was looking at a private tour and wanted to confirm if their time will be different from the ship time. Thanks!

YOU need to stay on ship/Florida time. Although we do excursions thru the cruiseline, Ryan's watch was always set to the ship time. They will make that announcement onboard tho. Make sure the people you book your excursion with know you need to be back by a certain time. From my research, the tour companies in Cayman are good with making sure cruise passengers return in time.

Archived