Smartphone for maps and itineraries?

My last cruise was in my pre-smartphone days. I thought I read about people downloading travel info on their phones. Maybe as docs? Not sure as I didn't have a phone and just printed it all out.

So now DH and I have Droids. Is there a way to put info on the phone to use in Europe? I definately don't plan to make calls on the phone or download data. I have a European based phone for calls or texts.

Or was I just dreaming this all up?

Thanks.

My last cruise was in my pre-smartphone days. I thought I read about people downloading travel info on their phones. Maybe as docs? Not sure as I didn't have a phone and just printed it all out.

So now DH and I have Droids. Is there a way to put info on the phone to use in Europe? I definately don't plan to make calls on the phone or download data. I have a European based phone for calls or texts.

Or was I just dreaming this all up?

Thanks.

Hi

We used my HTC Desire smartphone extensively when we visited UK/Baltics cruise/Paris/UK last year. It is an 'Android' phone.

We downloaded a free app called MapDroyd and then the Europe maps onto the phone (using our wifi at home).

MapDroyd was very helpful, even in Dubrovnik where we got a bit confused as to where we were (I know, tiny town, hopeless:)).

No need to use phone/cell network. Made sure we had data roaming switched off as it is HORRIFICALLY EXPENSIVE. Switched GPS on and away we went. Used it again in Japan on our most recent land holiday.

We wouldn't travel without our smartphones

pete

If you have an app that can display PDF files, you can buy single chapters of certain LonelyPlanet guides from their website. We've done this for a few cruises now, because it's often cheaper (you only need the chapters that include the city you're visiting), and you don't have to lug the book with you or worry about printing.

I use an iPhone, but you can do the same with proper Droid apps.... I take a copy of pretty much everything with me on my phone. I create PDF copies of all my cruise docs, passport, important phone numbers, credit card numbers (I juggle the numbers around to somewhat encrypt them), maps, sightseeing details, etc. Then I carry the phone with me, but turn off all the communication features so as to not run up the bill. I view this as a backup just in case. I have the details elsewhere in paper and on my laptop too. So if one of the 3 things gets lost, I have alternatives.

• 1 month later...
Hi

We used my HTC Desire smartphone extensively when we visited UK/Baltics cruise/Paris/UK last year. It is an 'Android' phone.

There's an app for Android phones and tablet computers (but not iPhones or iPads) that contains maps and guide info for St Petersburg, Tallinn and Helsinki.

It's called Baltic Cruising and is free from Android Market.

You load it before you set off and can then use it anywhere without paying roaming charges or needing a WiFi hotspot.

-Lucy

Archived