Where is the best place to buy Silver in Cozumel.

jafter

Hi I am going to Cozumel this week and would like to buy a silver bracelet for my wife and was wondering where is the best place to go in Cozumel. l know I have to look for the 925 stamp, anyone have any ideas on where to go without being ripped off.

We understand many folks think of Mexico as a great place to buy silver (we live in Mexico 2 months a year). On the other hand, the price for silver is set by the market and is the same world-wide. Can you find silver in Mexico? Sure...in lots of jewelry shops. Is the quality of the silver jewelry you get in Mexico good? Now that is the question :)

Hank

We understand many folks think of Mexico as a great place to buy silver (we live in Mexico 2 months a year). On the other hand, the price for silver is set by the market and is the same world-wide. Can you find silver in Mexico? Sure...in lots of jewelry shops. Is the quality of the silver jewelry you get in Mexico good? Now that is the question :)

Hank

That is why I am asking Hank? I want to know if anyone has been to a reputable jeweler in Cozumel where I can find a silver bracelet for my wife without being ripped off.

I have been to Cozumel many times over the years and like cruisers do I have purchased several pieces if silver jewelry there. I can say that for myself, I have been pleased with what I bought and have never had any trouble. Cozumel stores are filled with every type of jewelry you could imagine and you can negotiate a price. There is more than one dock for cruise ships in Cozumel and a few different shopping areas. Where ever you end up why not just wander around the stores and price something you like.

I turn silver dark It so pretty for a short shile but tarnishs too easily for me. I wear white gold if I want that silver look.

Silver bracelets are so cheap to me in Cozumel you will have no trouble finding nice ones if you wife can wear them. Silver will be every where near the port. Go downtown if you want to see even more choices... downtown will have a great selection. taxi is only $7 for however many in the taxi

Save your money and buy it in the states. The stuff in Mexico is cheap junk and will tarnish in no time. You can always bring the bracelet with you and give it to her in Mexico. As someone previously mentioned, white gold is a better alternative, will not tarnish and will hold it's value and look great for years to come. Why not try some of the shop at home cable stations, they have excellent quality at affordable prices. They all have web sites you can shop from. ;)

Save your money and buy it in the states. The stuff in Mexico is cheap junk and will tarnish in no time. You can always bring the bracelet with you and give it to her in Mexico. As someone previously mentioned, white gold is a better alternative, will not tarnish and will hold it's value and look great for years to come. Why not try some of the shop at home cable stations, they have excellent quality at affordable prices. They all have web sites you can shop from. ;)

Silver is supposed to tarnish. Just because silver you buy in Mexico tarnishes does not mean it is poor quality or cheap junk. As I mentioned I have several nice pieces from Cozumel. You can buy silver in the US and it will tarnish just as easily. That's what silver cleaner is for.

By the way I also have several silver pieces from QVC and HSN that also tarnish with time.

You made my point. It is interesting that the folks who live in Mexico for many months a year (in the Puerto Vallarta area we have tens of thousands of expats) seldom buy jewelry in Mexico. They wait until they are back in the states.

Hank

i dont know of any places in Coz to buy, but i would recommend buying at home from a retailer/jeweler you can trust--at the price of silver you dont want to get ripped off.

i did buy a piece of silver in MX and KNEW better i came home and QVC practically had the same piece for so much less--silver is meant to tarnish unfortunately and is why i dont purchase much these days.

but i must say the purchase from mexico is probably the worst piece i have gotten and it was from a very reputable ship approved store--not in COZ tho.

i dont know of any places in Coz to buy, but i would recommend buying at home from a retailer/jeweler you can trust--at the price of silver you dont want to get ripped off.

i did buy a piece of silver in MX and KNEW better i came home and QVC practically had the same piece for so much less--silver is meant to tarnish unfortunately and is why i dont purchase much these days.

but i must say the purchase from mexico is probably the worst piece i have gotten and it was from a very reputable ship approved store--not in COZ tho.

Keep in mind that "cruise ship recommended stores" are only recommended because they pay a fee. Whether they sell anything of quaility is a subject open for debate. :)

Hank

Keep in mind, it's very simple to make a 925 stamp. Just because you see the marking, you cannot be sure it is sterling. :eek: Same for 14k and 18k when buying gold in stores you have no way to know whether or not they are trustworthy.

Keep in mind, it's very simple to make a 925 stamp. Just because you see the marking, you cannot be sure it is sterling. :eek: Same for 14k and 18k when buying gold in stores you have no way to know whether or not they are trustworthy.

We are always amazed that folks will go into an unknown store and trust a stamp (.925) on a piece of metal in a country that does not exactly have the best law enforcement system, Another example of unwise shopping are the folks that love to buy Vanilla Extract in Mexico. You will find this sold everywhere in literally hundreds of different brands. Some folks think Mexican Vanilla is the best (most top Chefs use Bourbon Vanilla from Madagascar). What they do not know is that some of the vanilla sold in Mexico contains "Coumarin" which is a substance so toxic it has been banned in the US (and many other countries). Go figure. The same person that is careful about the food products they buy at home will go to a foreign country and buy without any hesitation. And it is the same with jewelry.

Hank

Archived